[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you people do in mountains? I don't see the appeal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 31

File: Moraine_Lake_17092005.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Moraine_Lake_17092005.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
What do you people do in mountains? I don't see the appeal here, especially when they're covered in pine forests

I live innadesert. I can take the atv/sandrail out for the weekend and recreate madmax to my hearts content. That wouldn't fly in the woods or mountains between muh delicate ecosystem trails consisting of pine and what few things can coexist with the needle rain, and mountains being a series of pointy rocks with nothing of note happening.

Maybe i got the wrong impression. I admit my first experience was with books and vidyas making them seem way more engaging than real life.

After actually taking the road trip to one (Yellowstone, im subtracting all the unique geyser and sulphur pits since as far as I'm aware they're only found here) i just can't see the point of these places
>>
File: 20160314-5-k2.jpg (100KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160314-5-k2.jpg
100KB, 960x720px
>>16467
>What do you people do in mountains?

Well, climb the fuckers, what else?
That is what they are there for, isn't it?
>>
>>16467
we avoid self centered faggots who think that annoying the shit out of everyone within a 3 mile radius is acceptable because they think
>BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
is the only thing to do while /out/
>>
>Hike into mountains
>Set up camp
>bag a nearby peak
>take a chilly dip in an alpine lake
>relax in the sun
>Hang by the campfire with your buds or by yourself reading a book

Also climbing, and in some mountains you can ski well in to the summer.
>>
Walk through pine forest smelling the sharp fresh scent of resin, hearing the silence of the thousand living beings which are part of it, feeling the effervescent breeze coming down from the mountain as you set your eyes on its peaks and realising that nature is perfect and that it smothers you in beauty on every corner only if you have eyes to see. Thats kinda that.

tl;dr: every aspect of nature is beautiful, don't be a knucklehead
>>
>>16468
Dat looks scary

>>16470
I'm not adverse to climbing them for the luls. I've been atop a few plateaus just to spend the night with amazing stargazing opportunities.

The generic mountains i see don't look particularly inviting though. You're either in a tight rocky valley or a snowcap point/ridge.

Finding a lake would be ideal if its not completely overgrown and swampy.

Never tried skiing. Can't say I'm keen to buying the equipment considering my locale.
>>
>>16472
>not overgrown or swampy

That's you gotta get high, man. Go Alpine, 4k+ feet. The lakes are from snow run off so they're clean and clear (and fucking cold).
>>
File: least coast loses another round.png (4MB, 1471x962px) Image search: [Google]
least coast loses another round.png
4MB, 1471x962px
>>16473
>4k+ feet
>alpine
lol. what flat garbage state are you from?
>>
>>16474
Washington, one of the best /out/ states. Home of the Cascades and Olympics, where the Alpine zone STARTS at 4-5k feet and gets better and better as you go up.
>>
File: 1489034468983.gif (3MB, 252x263px) Image search: [Google]
1489034468983.gif
3MB, 252x263px
>>
>>16476
What is that even a response to?
>>
>>16475

Where at in WA? Oly fag here
>>
>>16467
You're correct, they suck ass. Stay right where you are, desert trash.
>>
>>16477
Take a guess, mouth breather.
>>
>>16480
Your whore of a mother?
>>
>>967021
>@

Back to Instagram you go, underage b&.
>>
>>967021

Welcome newfag. You don't need to do any of that @. Just click on their postnumber, respond that way
>>
>>16482
Don't poke the autist
>>
>>16484
You never let me do anything fun anymore.
>>
>re: 967026
I don't like feeding (You)s to retards
>>
>>16486
I'm surprised you can even feed yourself.
>>
File: IMG_1532ss.jpg (173KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1532ss.jpg
173KB, 1000x667px
>>16467
I can't tell if you are asking what people do in the outdoors in general, or maybe you just don't understand what mountains are... It's hard for me to conceive of an environment where you'd have access to outdoor recreation in "the desert" but somehow mountains are beyond your reach, especially since you hinted that you live in the US. All deserts in the US are closely bordered by mountains.

>muh delicate ecosystem trails consisting of pine and what few things can coexist with the needle rain,
I have no idea why you think mountains are any more delicate of an ecosystem than the desert. Both have very slow rates of decomposition of waste and growth of plants and other flora. Just because you treat the desert as a wasteland and tear it up with an ATV doesn't make it any less delicate, from a conservation perspective, than mountains. On the contrary, ATVing is very popular in mountainous terrain, so there's one thing that you can do there. You'll probably be staying on trails in the desert to stay out of rocky areas or shrubby areas, so I don't see how it could be that different from what you're used to.

>and mountains being a series of pointy rocks with nothing of note happening.
Whereas deserts are so empty that they don't even have the pointy rocks.

There is a lot of appeal in recreating in the mountains, but if it needs to be explained to you, you'll likely never "get it." I'll just sum up some of the main points, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask them and I'll elaborate.

-limited time you can access mountains makes the experience more special, and the terrain more pristine
-range of elevations with their own ecosystems = more variety of everything
-huge amount of life, some animals very large, not found elsewhere
-environment feels prehistoric, pre-human
-less crowds and less idiots to interrupt the experience
-peak-bagging, fishing, rock climbing, long distance hiking, everything feels more special because of all of the above factors
>>
File: 1489262884979.jpg (330KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1489262884979.jpg
330KB, 960x720px
>>16468
>>
>>16488
>typing this text book

OP is a retard who just wants to let people know he prefers the desert to other biomes and the only reason he can think up is that it's sometimes easier to ride in a certain type of desert.
>>
>>16487
Are you
>>
>>16489
i saw that, too, but was too lazy to call them out on it, since the poster has nothing to do with the pic
>>
File: 1489275142395.jpg (251KB, 680x641px) Image search: [Google]
1489275142395.jpg
251KB, 680x641px
>>16492
They're scary even at the correct angle if you know what you're looking at. Slip on that slow and ice, and unless you arrest your fall quickly, you're going to have a very bad day.
>>
File: Hikers_DoubleArch-Edit_3.jpg (545KB, 960x436px) Image search: [Google]
Hikers_DoubleArch-Edit_3.jpg
545KB, 960x436px
>>16479
The only trash i see here is throwing around unprovoked insults.

I get it, you're passionate about a special biome and feel threatened when an outsider takes interest.

Instead of slinging filth why not share some passion?

I'm just trying to see if im missing out. I refuse to believe they're all boring expanses.
Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong areas, i for one prefer more diverse landscapes
>>
>>16493
except for the fact that he has an ice screw 6" below his foot...
>>
>>16495
What. Are you sure that's what we're looking at there? I mean it's steep enough to be dangerous, but that doesn't look like the kind of terrain where you do anchored climbs. Plus, it really looks like crusty snow to me, rather than pure ice. An anchor would have to be huge to hold a person's weight in snow.
>>
>>16486

Shut up faggot.
>>
>>16496
considering he's trailing a rope, and there's clearly something there running from the rope to the surface, i'm fairly sure that's what we're looking at. i agree the angle and snow don't look conducive to pro, bu we don't know what's above or below him, and he might be following a seam of decent ice. or it might just be psychological pro.
>>
>>16488
I'll elaborate. I live in Utah. Mostly desert with gs like monument valley and arches national park nearby and vast stretches of salt flats which are mostly boring except when you have a need for speed.

I'm not here to shill for ATVs. Its just one of the more popular hobbies in and around Moab (i don't live there its just close)

Mountains are easily everywhere but its the wide valleys that get the attention. The mountains are typically flat topped plateaus.

I'm legitimately wondering what folks who live in the Rockies do since they (to me) look picturesque and nothing more. The valleys are steep and the peaks sharp. I can only imagine a few can support the waterflow for rafting.

I brought pine into the mix because when i compare it to the fairy forests in the PNW they just look lifeless

I understand parts of the desert are bleak wastelands, but when i look at maps of other regions it just looks covered in equally bleak wrinkles with mountain names.

I'm looking specifically at Colorado and Idaho here since they're closest
>>
File: 60m_sultana.jpg (59KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
60m_sultana.jpg
59KB, 500x350px
>>16498
>considering he's trailing a rope
Do you not understand the concept of roped glacier travel? Please take a minute to google that term and take a look at what a roped mountain climbing team looks like.

>bu we don't know what's above or below him, and he might be following a seam of decent ice.
That's not true. We can clearly see that there are miles of glaciers below him. This is most likely a mountain of a similar character to Ranier, if it's not Mt. Rainier itself. First of all, you don't hike all day to near the peak of a glacier-encrusted mountain just to do ice climbing at the top. Almost all ice climbing is done on waterfalls, which would be found well below a glacier. Second, even if he were doing ice climbing that far up this mountain, he still had to rope into other people to get up there. The fact that you're roped into a team of people is intended to negate to need to use anchors. While I agree it looks kind of like an anchor, it's almost certainly something else, not intended to take his weight if he falls.
>>
>>16500
>doesn't know the difference between alpine ice and water ice
>accuses me of ignorance
how about YOU start googling basic information, retard
>>
Wow, this is the worst thread on /out/ right now, and that includes the sprayfag vs. gunfag thread.
>>
File: _IGP0321.jpg (939KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
_IGP0321.jpg
939KB, 1728x1152px
>>16499
>I live in Utah.
Now I'm even more confused. Utah has some great mountains.

>The mountains are typically flat topped plateaus.
Maybe the Boulders, but even there, you can do a lot of things that you can't do in the desert, like fly fishing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4dS0qTQ_cM
Practically all the other mountains in the state (or in neighboring Colorado, New Mexico or Arizona) have a steep character with lots of peaks that can be climbed. Have you never gone to the Uintas, or to the Durango/Silverton/Telluride area in Colorado?
>>
>>16501
I know you're just throwing a temper tantrum because somebody told you that you were wrong, but please tell me all the times you've gone ice climbing, or even spoken to an ice climber about where they go climbing.
>>
>>16504
i've done ai1-2 on some mixed routes in the sierra, but nothing that couldn't be run out or protected by a couple hexes. no interest in "proper" (water) ice climbing, i hate being cold. now feel free to top my honest answer with your hardman e-statting.
>>
>>16505
The point is that you don't understand the purpose of a roped climbing team, or why it would make zero sense for someone in the team to anchor into the mountain like that, at least in the same way as an ice climber would anchor into an ice formation such that the anchor could take his weight during a fall.
>>
>>16506
well i'm sure you've learned a lot by going to the banff film festival screening in the mountaineering mecca of wilmington, delaware, so thanks for sharing your wisdom with me. :)
>>
>>16507

I've climbed Rainier. My brother is an ice climbing guide in the winter. But what do I know about glacier travel or ice climbing.
>>
>>16508
that's cool. my cousin is ueli steck. so we don't really worry about junk like ropes and stuff like that slowing us down. ;)

but i'd still love to hear a reason that he'd bother to clip there and bother with the rope drag if it doesn't offer at least a bit of potential protection. because that's clearly a quickdraw running from the rope to the snow.
>>
>>16497
Make me ass face
>>
>>16509
Most likely rope management.
>>
File: durr.jpg (32KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
durr.jpg
32KB, 500x371px
>>16511
i prostrate myself before you in awe at this demonstration of your unsurpassed climbing acumen
>>
>>16512
Well it makes a lot more sense than a climbing anchor meant to hold a person's weight.
>>
File: you're kidding, right.jpg (39KB, 552x739px) Image search: [Google]
you're kidding, right.jpg
39KB, 552x739px
>>16513
lol, you're fucking retarded. describe to me a plausible scenario where a single line's "management" will be eased by clipping it to a non-loadbearing anchor mid-route.
>>
>>16514
When you need to go up and then over to the side, but you don't want the line hanging diagonally to the people below you in your team.
>>
>>16503
I haven't that i know of. I've been along i90 but never stopped for anything but fuel. The uppity ski traps just gave me bad vibes.

Been to the dino museum in grand junction though. I think they some sort of fossil dig site trail but i wasn't there long enough to partake.

I know general rounded mountains exist nearby, i just wouldn't put them in the same class as the rockies and their mountain villages.
>>
File: meh.jpg (5KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
meh.jpg
5KB, 272x185px
>>16515
>don't know the word traverse
>still expect to be taken seriously
yeah, i'm done here. you can roleplay alpinist with someone else
>>
>>16516
I-90 isn't in Colorado
>>
>>16518
Er. I70.

I may of been giving glacier national park the bedroom eyes
>>
File: 99405.jpg (146KB, 650x487px) Image search: [Google]
99405.jpg
146KB, 650x487px
>>16516
>I haven't [been there] that I know of (implying you went to Durango without knowing you went there)
>i90
>general rounded mountains exist nearby
Out of all the people I've met out west - including Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada and California - I've never met someone who was less aware of his surroundings than you are. Are you actually in high school and just got your car like two months ago?

You say you're near Moab. This is Mt. Waas. It's a full 25 mile drive from Moab to the trailhead. This is the snow-capped peak that appears in the background of the Delicate Arch in most people's photos of it.

Here is more information on it:
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-waas/151918

When the roads and trails thaw out in late May to mid June, you need to go there.
>>
>>16517
You've proved to me the need to use simple language or else you start sperging out and posting memes. Don't throw a tantrum just because people are trying to talk to you at your level.
>>
>>16520
Mmmaybe I'm just generally shut in with no friends that like to go/out/ unless it involves copious amounts of alcohol.

Maybe I'm also a weeb who finally got tired of looking like a pale stereotype

I'm sorry i failed you anon.
>>
>>16467
I collect minerals and hunt gold. I also use a metal detector in the old mining camps.

all this stuff can also be done in the desert, but you don't find stuff nearly as interesting. Mountains tend to bury things. Deserts not so much.
>>
>>16477

It's such a good reaction image, it's almost better that I can't figure out who he's talking to or what he means.
>>
File: 20170311_202142.jpg (4MB, 2120x2789px) Image search: [Google]
20170311_202142.jpg
4MB, 2120x2789px
>why mountains
cuz
>>
>>16525

I'm not your cuz, bro.
>>
File: 1486262357644.jpg (15KB, 352x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486262357644.jpg
15KB, 352x400px
>>16526
Im not your bro, bud.
>>
File: MF-Strongman-Cuff-POSTER.jpg (2MB, 1250x2642px) Image search: [Google]
MF-Strongman-Cuff-POSTER.jpg
2MB, 1250x2642px
>>16527
Im not your buddy, guy
>>
File: fuckYouBuddy.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
fuckYouBuddy.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>16528
Im not your guy, friend.
>>
File: my feeling exactly.png (95KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
my feeling exactly.png
95KB, 219x230px
>>16529
i'm not your friend, pal
>>
File: mooscles.jpg (73KB, 564x752px) Image search: [Google]
mooscles.jpg
73KB, 564x752px
>>16530
I'm not your pal, comrade.
>>
>>16500
You clearly have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Stop correcting the anon who knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>16508
Clearly not much, if you don't know the difference between belayed climbing and basic glacier travel.
>>
File: IMG_0988.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0988.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Just go to a desert that makes it look like you're in the mountains.
>>
>>16467
>>
File: 45.jpg (5KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
5KB, 300x168px
>>16531
his so called muscles will pop like ballon
>>
File: 180px-Arguing-on-the-internet.jpg (13KB, 180x266px) Image search: [Google]
180px-Arguing-on-the-internet.jpg
13KB, 180x266px
daily reminder
>>
>>16536
Yeah, it seems weird how nobody notices that people who are ACTUALLY strong don't look like that.
>>
>>16538
You're retarded, I'm so sorry. You have to lift heavy, absolutely have to, in order to get that big no matter what kind of steroids you use. There's no need to be ignorant.
>>
Finally, one learns that boredom is a disease of civilization. It seems to me that what boredom mostly is is that people have to keep themselves entertained or occupied, because if they aren’t, then certain anxieties, frustrations, discontents, and so forth, start coming to the surface, and it makes them uncomfortable. Boredom is almost nonexistent once you’ve become adapted to life in the woods. If you don’t have any work that needs to be done, you can sit for hours at a time just doing nothing, just listening to the birds or the wind or the silence, watching the shadows move as the sun travels, or simply looking at familiar objects. And you don’t get bored. You’re just at peace.
>>
>>16470
>take a chilly dip in an alpine lake
Damn.... if it's 40 degrees.... fuck that...
>>
>>16488
Olympic national park and mountain areas are much more beautiful than the desert.

There is no better example than the state of Nevada.

The mountains Sierrias + Ruby are the most beautiful spots in the entire state.

No home price can compare to the sierra mountains / lake Tahoe region in Nevada due to being slightly beautiful and still having Nevada tax rates close to the bay area.

I don't like deserts because they are ugly, you can see all your neighbors trash, and it creates 0 privacy.
>>
>>16499
they (to me) look picturesque and nothing more.

nailed it!

skiing, hunting, boating (often lakes at the base), snow shit, and fishing are often fairly close to mountains due to higher elevation snow/streams running off the mountains...

You should google street view walk through Nepal sometimes, kind of cool
>>
>>16542
I've lived all of my 28 years innamountains but I still love my yearly trip to the desert. Beautiful in its own way.
>>
it's really hard to walk uphill tho
>>
>>16467

I make larger fires, use charcoal to body paint myself, then I get naked and dance around the fire. Wife has done it with me a few times, it's always fun to take her by the fire after that. Let me be animalistic, be noisy as fuck.

That and I like to find rivers flowing down the mountain, so I can take a crap in it.
>>
>>16467
Something about elevation is appealing to me. Climb them, appreciate the view from atop for a while. One of my favorite things in the world.
>>
>>16478
Stay away from my gf while i'm /out/
>>
>>16467
fishing and smoking weed mostly.
>>
>>16467
If you like to recreate Mad Max in the desert, you'd probably like recreating Lone Survivor in the mountains
>>
>>16472
this is either bait or you're just terribly localized/ignorant

get out and experience this shit
>>
>>16534

white sands is fucking dank
>>
This thread is fucking terrible
>>
>>16503
I hate seeing pics like this cause i want to fish beautiful water like that
>im a Iowa fag that fishes brown farm ponds and rivers
>>
File: Kintla_Rocks_In_Water_bevel.jpg (444KB, 848x565px) Image search: [Google]
Kintla_Rocks_In_Water_bevel.jpg
444KB, 848x565px
>>16554
M8 you gotta get out of that flat boring pig farm
>>
>>16469
This. Motors are for getting me to the trailhead. Feet and mountain bikes are for enjoyment.
>>
>>16494
Faggot you're on 4chan, get off if you don't want unprovoked insults. The only reason anyone posts on these boards is so they can anonymously call people like you faggots.
>>
>>16557

Welcome to /out/!

This isn't /b/, /k/, or /pol/. The level of shitposting is way lower here than on one of those, and we like to keep it that way.

But feel free to come back in June through August. You'll fit in just fine then.
>>
>>16558
>shitposting on /out/ over the summer
>not actually being out
>not bringing back oc every couple weeks
go eat a dick. winter/early spring is prime /out/ shitposting season.
>>
>>16521
traverse is a simple word anon

you should know what it means
>>
File: Mantilasalfromarches.jpg (220KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
Mantilasalfromarches.jpg
220KB, 1024x681px
>>16520

I'd argue the most spectacular peak in the La Sal's from the PoV of arches is gonna be Mt. Tukuhikivatz. Its the extra pointy one on the right side of the central peaks, and I think appears the most prominent from that angle.

But yeah, I think OP is a retard. Utah has some of the best fuckin' mountain country in all of the US.
>>
>>16467
Traveling through the forests is fun as hell. You never know what you might find. Plus, mountain regions make for beautiful pics. Pic related was taken in Yosemite yesterday.
>>
Climb, ski, camp, run, meditate, fornicate
>>
>>16467
Not all mountains have pine forests.
Also, the mountains(most) are the best types of nature IMO. Everything about them.
>>
>>16467
fishing, trapping, camping, hunting, relaxing. it's not an adrenaline rush sure but sometimes it's nice to watch the weather go by and not be on full alert.
>>
>>16562
Depends on the forest.

Lots of stuff in the Canadian Rockies is so thick that it is almost entirely impassible unless there is a cleared trail.

On the other hand big forests without the thick undergrowth are fucking top boss.
>>
>>16562
How are the roads in Yosemite? I heard they took a beating this winter.
>>
File: el cap winter.jpg (1MB, 1286x1714px) Image search: [Google]
el cap winter.jpg
1MB, 1286x1714px
>>16562
looks a little warmwer than the last time i was there, about 3 weeks ago.

>>16567
140's fine, valley floor's fine, 41's open again. tioga and glacier point probably won't be open until june. big oak flat between 120 and 140 is closed indefinitely.
>>
>>16568
If Big Oak Flat is closed does that mean there's no access to Foresta?
>>
>>16569
you can get to foresta from 140. big oak flat is actually just closed from crane flat to foresta, i just didn't think anyone would know what i was talking about if i said that.
>https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
>>
File: sombrero.jpg (61KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
sombrero.jpg
61KB, 500x354px
>>16531
i'm not your comrade, amigo.
>>
>>16478
Bellevue reporting in. Just started conditioning to climb some peaks this summer.
>>
>>16568
>looks a little warmer
It was in the high 50s yesterday with a lot of melting snow patches all around. It's supposed to snow some more tomorrow though.

>>16567
I took 41 and there were no delays getting there. There were some roads closed, but they may have just been closed for the season.
>>
>>16467
I enjoy putting one foot in front of the other as many times as possible.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.