[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ beginners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 18

File: P1030046.jpg (765KB, 2237x2118px) Image search: [Google]
P1030046.jpg
765KB, 2237x2118px
Hey, everyone. So I am a geologist as well as a previous member of search and rescue. Finally able to live a more /out/ lifestyle after reading about it most of my life.

Just figured I'd share my setup to give some people inspiration. Feel free to pitch in.
>>
File: P1030047.jpg (4MB, 3776x2520px) Image search: [Google]
P1030047.jpg
4MB, 3776x2520px
>>16122
Inside the blanket I keep a yoga mat for sleeping on and have an extra pair of pants and wool socks in the center.
>>
File: P1030053.jpg (4MB, 3776x2520px) Image search: [Google]
P1030053.jpg
4MB, 3776x2520px
>>16123
Live in the southwest. So it's just about starting to heat up. Probably won't carry all the sleeping gear.

Overall, pretty cheap setup.
>Camo bag filled with ziploc and trashbags
>Camo poncho
>muh WW1 puttees
>welding goggles
>hedge saw from Tractor Supply
>cordage minus my 50 ft of hollow webbing
>various stakes
>morakniv
>some kind of waterproof bottle with paper in it
>duck tape
>ruler compass
>telescopic flashlight
> USB rechargeable headlamp
>tinder box filled with charcloth, toiletpaper roll, and petroleum cotton
>flint and steel
>charcloth tin with various firestarters
>toiletries kit
>hammock
>8x10 tarp
>sewing kit
>mess kit
>first aid kit
>sleeping bag
>>
File: P1030049.jpg (4MB, 3776x2520px) Image search: [Google]
P1030049.jpg
4MB, 3776x2520px
>>16124
Contents of the mess kit.
I saw someone use test tubes for spices and loved the idea. Worked out really great so far.
>>
File: P1030051.jpg (4MB, 3776x2520px) Image search: [Google]
P1030051.jpg
4MB, 3776x2520px
>>16125
A dirty mouth and hands when out is a pet peeve of mine. So I try to carry everything for that.

>grew out beard for a few months
>went camping for a couple days
>felt the dirt and grime
>NOPE.jpeg
>Compromised with mustache

Anyone else have similar feeling?
>>
File: P1030055.jpg (4MB, 3776x2520px) Image search: [Google]
P1030055.jpg
4MB, 3776x2520px
>>16126
This is my mapping setup. Try to keep it as light as possible.

Switching out the skimask for a different hat once it gets warmer

FrogTog jacket if it rains.
Keep my food in the bottom pouch. Also an extra pair of socks and toilet paper.
>>
File: P1030056.jpg (4MB, 3776x2520px) Image search: [Google]
P1030056.jpg
4MB, 3776x2520px
>>16127
From the back when it's all put together.
>>
File: P1030057.jpg (4MB, 3776x2520px) Image search: [Google]
P1030057.jpg
4MB, 3776x2520px
>>16128
Cacti are the biggest problem where I live. Destroyed my last hydration bladder, but it's so hot that I need to have at least 3L of water per day.

So I bought this Osprey bladder and put some cardboard on the other side to protect from spines.
>>
File: P1030013.jpg (4MB, 3776x2520px) Image search: [Google]
P1030013.jpg
4MB, 3776x2520px
Here's a sweet mountain. My last camera was shit. So i'll be taking some more pictures this weekend when I go mapping again.

What does /out/'s setups look like? Does /out/ even go out?
>>
>>16129
Cacti gets through your carrier? How? Are you not able to go around?
>>
Hey OP what do you use for shelter to sleep in? Tent or bivy bag or what?
>>
>>16124
>welding goggles
Literally why?
>>
>>16133
Closely inspecting campfires for quality.
>>
>>16134
I honestly hope that's the actual reason
>>
>>16133
I think he's being a silly billy. They look like tinted snowboard goggles. Never seen welding glasses look like that.
>>
Kys you pretentious faggot. Why would anyone want advice from a newbie?
>>
>>16124
You forgot superglue and USB stick anon.

+1 for Mora
>>
>>16122
>So
>>
>>16122
>using a yoga mat instead of a CCF camping mat

it's like you're purposely being difficult.
>>
>>16124
Why welding goggles?
>>
>>16122
>>16124

>yoga mat
Like many have already said in this thread, you should get a Closed Cell Foam mat if anyting - yoga mat does nothing but add very thin padding, CCF will actually insulate you a bit.

>snowboard goggles
are you riding a bike or motorcycle out there? Personally I wouldn't recommend them if you're just hiking (just get sunglasses instead), but this all looks like a bikers setup to me.

>USB rechargable headlamp
I'd highly recommend adding a USB battery + whatever cords you need to the pack, it's really nice to have one.

>Fire kit
Looks solid, and it seems that you've already made some char cloth with the tin the way it is.

>>16125
The spicey test tubes is really good idea. I'm not a fan of the chopped off spatula head, I think you'd be better off just bringing a fork and spoon, plastic or metal. You can get decent little sporks from Walmart camping section for around $1 each I think.

>>16126
>razors for shaving
Personally I think this isn't something you need to keep in there unless this is a bugout bag. Seems like wasted space and makes it more difficult to access things that actually matter. Same thing goes for soap, when /out/ you don't need to be soaping up any rivers or lakes, just scrub with water and you'll be fine. You're /out/, it's not really supposed to be a clean or civilized experience.

>>16127
I'm a bit confused here, do you take BOTH of these packs with you? Or are they for separate outings? Are you car camping and have access to both all the time?

>chisel
Geologist doing geologist things.

Overall, I'd give you a 6.5-7/10, I feel that the pack can pass, but you can do a lot to improve on it, mostly getting stuff that is going be more multipurpose.

I know that Alice Pack life, and it can get annoying sometimes.
>>
>>16140
yeah OP, I'd swap out the mat for a hiking one. Better thermal properties, lighter weight, probly more comfortable and all for the cost of $10-15 at a big box there's really no excuse.
>>
>>16131
Those fuckers are pervasive. You set your pack down and there was some dead cactus laying on the ground. You shift to the left or right and there's a paddle cactus waiting to snag onto you. Cactus needles are like herpes.

I'm also what I would call a blunt hiker. I just forcefully hike in a general direction and find myself cornered by aggressive foliage. Learning to look forward is kind of hard to learn.
>>
>>16136
>>16134
>>16133
They are really just tinted goggles that came with a facemask. I bought them at a welding store a long time ago.

We can get 40mph winds blowing dirt in your face. Also helicopters might have to land for search and rescue.
>>
File: 1489086453994-263403762.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1489086453994-263403762.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>16138
Super glue is in the medkit. I already posted that in another thread.

These are the battery packs that I normally carry to charge the headlamp, phone, or anything else. Also the camera.
>>
File: C3XNZk5WQAEyPrK.jpg (121KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
C3XNZk5WQAEyPrK.jpg
121KB, 1024x1024px
>>16122
I don't really care for your setup since I have already figured out but first you had my attention and now you have my interest.

>previous member of search and rescue
Story time and photos of this, plox.
>>
File: 1489086789880-989868951.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1489086789880-989868951.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
I got it as a gift from someone and it doesn't have a brand on it. The only time I've seen something similar to this mat was in the yoga section of Walmart.

It works really well down to subfreezing. Which, based on the comments, makes me think it isn't a yoga mat then.

It does get damaged easily. So I may take the advice and get a more durable one.
>>
>>16142
I will ditch the razors. I'm probably going to ditch the soap for baby wipes and more deodorant.

No streams or lakes where I mainly stay. It's a desert. So all water is packed in. Hasn't been so bad since it's winter, but we'll all start carrying at least a gallon soon.

The vest is for quick one day hikes and the pack is for camping. A lot of the older geologists recommend vests. It's much more useful.

The Alice pack is getting pretty annoying, but I'm broke. I'm probably just going to upgrade the straps.
>>
>>16147
You don't see a lot of original gear on /out/. Mainly store photos and old infographs. I just wanted to see others.

>Story time and pics

I will do that later. I have to finish procrastinating on GIS work first.
>>
>>16149
Definitely update the straps, even just cutting them towards the middle of the pack and adding your own clips to it makes a hell of a difference, it almost feels like an entirely new pack with just the small change. Make sure you measure twice and cut once though, pack it up to how your OP pic is then cut towards the middle of the straps.
>>
>>16150
>oc on /out/

I put this together a few months ago but it's far more of a bugout bag than a specific "this is what I take camping" sorta deal. It also has more than it needs in terms of blades, which was more of a "take it if you need it" than it is always in there.
>>
>>16150
Anon I didn't said that I don't care for your gear as a critique though.

I will wait then.
>>
>>16122
What sort of geologist are you?
>>
>>16143
a lot of yoga mats are open cell foams, too, so won't even keep you dry.
>>
>>16150
I got zero replies when I shared my gear. Maybe I should have included obvious troll gear like yoga mats and alice packs and called myself a professional of some kind.
>>
>>16156
No, it's just because you didn't tripfag then same fag your own posts.

Most people just lurk. I've experienced the same thing when I posted a legitimate /out/ing. I took the time to post 30+ photos, and answered questions. Got like 6 replies before the thread died.
>>
>>16128

Switch the red and green ties. the green should be on the right, the red should be on the left. (I'm guessing this is the back as it has the bladder mounted)

A carry over from life as a marine engineer. My OCD cant take shit like this now :/
>>
File: 1361144658562.jpg (148KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
1361144658562.jpg
148KB, 900x720px
>>16158
>the green should be on the right, the red should be on the left.
Curious why?

Also the drag strap is a dead giveaway that it's the back.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>16159

not that guy but port and starboard seems a legit guess
>>
>>16153
>>16150
still waiting,faggot
>>
Great job, OP. I haven't actually looked through the thread yet but I'd love to see more threads like this.

Because, good or bad, we're bound to learn something. Actually if someone is particularly bad it will probably mean more is learned, right?
>>
>>16125
what cup is that?
>>
>>16149
Ive never got along with deoderant out - attracts midges and if its an aerosol it can reduce waterproofing on a tent. If im group camping ill use a little bit of stick tho, but that doesnt happen too often these days
>>
>>16159
Bin that knife m8
>>
File: quality.png (46KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
quality.png
46KB, 1000x1000px
>>16135
>>16134
>>16133
>>
>>16122
Ewwww.

Alice pack is heavy and make your shit feel heavy.
Wool blankets won't keep you warm if it's really cold, any bag would be better.

Yoga mats are heavy and are not made to insulate you from the cold of the ground. Get a real pad for $5.

Camo is bad and you should feel bad.

>Welding google
Wat? Do you have the rest of the welding equipment as well?

>Tape
Just bring a fucking toolbox while you are at it.

Get a cheap lighter and bring food.
>>
File: upset.gif (1MB, 325x221px) Image search: [Google]
upset.gif
1MB, 325x221px
>>16167
>>
I'm curious, do you guys take with you a fork for eating?
If not, how do you eat your food?
>>
>>16169

Not always /out/, but I take a spork with me wherever I go. Steel, not any type of plastic. Literally everywhere I go my spork goes with me. I hate using plastic utensils for anything, and since I always carry water I can also wash it immediately.

Everyone should do it. It would cut down on waste exponentially.
>>
>>16146
How effective is the solar panel?
>>
>>16126
you're a faggot harry
>>
File: dsc_0086.jpg (1MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0086.jpg
1MB, 3872x2592px
>>16126

>using man-made soap
>not using Indian soap.
>>
>>16124
>>16125

beginner here; may I ask what the black rectangular boxes are with the handle attached to the bags?
>>
File: img.jpg (71KB, 758x530px) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
71KB, 758x530px
>>16127
I hope someone doesn't get confused by your choice of rig.
>>
>>16124
Geophysicist here. I'm guessing you're working in gold then? Would love to get into that myself. Spend some time in arizona doing a copper job once.

Anyway, my critique. The pathfinder canteens and bottles I happen to like. The bottle shape is supposedly a little unergonomic I've heard. I have the canteen/cup/stove thingy/lid. Lid is a must and a good choice. I like your use of sample vials! I'd personally take a light weight down bag over the wool. For the light, I think you'd save some weight with a luci light. Having the bladder in that environment is probably a good call. I'd ditch the nalgene for the pathfinder bottle if it doesn't nest. I'd actually have used an inflatable mattress instead of the yoga mat if there is a lot of rock and shit out there. A lot more compact and comfortable. Not sure where exactly you are but if you have yucca around there you should try hand drill firestarting. Supposed to be the easiest method of all in that climate and that plant. A rocket stove might be a good idea to make or buy since wood looks to be hard to come by. A lot more efficient way of cooking.
>>
>>16122
Setup looks great.
Alice pack can be modded to be a lot more comfortable.
I'd get a machete for wood processing and some more metal cookware.
>>
>>16122
>I am a geologist

My fellow rock licker
>>
So there's a bunch of us geologists - must be why jobs are so hard to come by, too many of us!

Anyway OP, keep on living the dream. Every day you're out there remember the rest of us who got into this for the outdoors then spent everyday since on a computer
>>
I'm not OP but also an /out/ beginner. Any good youtube channels to follow?
>>
>>16180
i like primintive technology
hes more of a 'thats pretty cool' guy than someone that could give actual advice
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA
>>
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good two/three person tent for under $200?
>>
>>16152
Good stuff
>>
>>16124
How do the puttees go? Actually been thinkin' bout getting some
>>
>>16157
yeah I've found that the best threads are about a 60/40 mix of entertainment and information. So OP has to provide some trollage either in the post or the photo, samefag sometimes, the topic has to be general enough, autists and lolcows can bicker and provide entertainment and bumpage, and the real knowledge and interest will be found in the serious replies.
>>
>>16180
Also a beginner and I've been watching this dude, crazy old man inna woods basically

https://www.youtube.com/user/KennethKramm/videos
>>
>>16169
I bring a stainless steel knife, fork and spoon
>>
>>16127
Why carry all the useless extra "mapping" gear?
As a geologist, when mapping i only carry a map, notebook, brunton, and colored pencils
>>
>>16128
David? Is that you?
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.