[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>go camping in California >have to consider that there's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 285
Thread images: 23

File: animal-mother1.gif (817KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
animal-mother1.gif
817KB, 320x240px
>go camping in California
>have to consider that there's bears around
>not allowed to have a gun

fuck you cali
>>
>what is bear spray?
>>
>>15837
Most of the bears in California are in San Francisco.
>>
>>15838
This

>inb4 b-b-but muh freedum
>>
>>15837
Hunting rifles and shotguns are banned in California? I refuse to believe that, theres no way a ban like that would hold up in court
>>
>>15841
They're not, OP is an idiot and thinks he needs a 30 round magazine to defend himself from a horny black bear.
>>
>>15842
t. cuckifornia
>>
>>15839
>Go camping in California
>Be in tent at night
>Hear slurping sound within the campsite
>Oh shit, bears!
>Slurping intensifies, along with a guttural moan
>Time to be a man and scare them off
>Unzip tent, poke head out
>See this
>Yep, goddamn bears
>>
>>15837
black aces makes a gun just for you buddy
>>
>>15840
Your freedom is relative, if you want true unused freedom head out and live in oceans or in Antarctica also going to space is also an option but less possible
>>
>>15842
This guy have seen some shit
>>
>>15837
>being skeered of a lil black bear
what a pussy. how do you even work up the courage to step out your front door in the morning?
>>
>>15837
California black bears are pussies. Nothing like grizzlies, which will murder the fuck out of you. Just remember to keep your food locked up and you'll be fine Opie.
>>
>>15849
>>15848
>>15842
there's a brown bear on the state flag
>>
>>15850
Yes, and they were wiped out in California in the 19th century.

t. californian
>>
>>15850
Yeah, the California grizzly.

They were hunted to extinction. There hasn't been a confirmed sighting since 1922.
>>
>>15851
>>15852
jewifornia confirmed
>>
>>15845
Despite not being a NFA gun the Black Aces DT "micro-shotgun" is still restricted by state law in New York and California.
>>
>>15853
>whatdoesthatevenmean.png
>>
>>15853
Ah yes, Jews are well known for their love of, and efficiency at, hunting in the American west.
>>
>>15838

A item that doesn't work as well.
>>
Bears in California arent much of a threat

t. Californian who encountered many bears
>>
File: 1387606893854.gif (1MB, 230x172px) Image search: [Google]
1387606893854.gif
1MB, 230x172px
>>15846
>Your freedom is relative
>>
>>15857
It's objectively more effective than firearms.
>>
File: kill.jpg (30KB, 400x421px) Image search: [Google]
kill.jpg
30KB, 400x421px
>>15860
btw , how to scare a foking teddy bear away ? whistle will work or will make the bear go full berserk on you ? and waving your arms like you're a complete retard will also help ?
>>
>>15858
>>15848
These

California black bears can be repulsed with small stones and harsh language
They are more of a nuisance animal than anything
Rodents are the real problem
>>
>>15861
Best way to scare a bear away in California is to just straight up tell the thing to "fuck off" in a firm and harsh tone. This simple trick works on bears of both the Ursidae and Homo varieties.
>>
>>15862
How do we deal with the rat? Do we take terrier doggos with us?
>>
>>15864
I've seen rodents chew holes into packs and stuff sacks to get food
I've seen a guy who lost the upper of his boot to a rodent
I use an Ursack to protect my food
>>
>>15861
1.)The vast majority of bears will smell and hear you long before you see them and they will run
>this is why it's good to make a bit of intentional noise in bear country if you can, just sing or talk loudly here and there (brush rattling or whistling are less effective since that can sound like an animal)

2.) The majority of the remaining will run as soon as the two of you become aware of one another
>there is a bit of risk here though, bears don't like to be surprised, especially if they have cubs

3.) Usually the very few that do charge will just make a false charge
>very important that you stand you ground, don't turn your back, don't run, don't make direct eye contact, don't make any fast jerky maneuvers, open your coat or shirt, stand on tip-toes, very slowly back away, trying to make yourself look as big as possible, speak loudly but calmly, deeply, and authoritatively. Bear spray is also very effective here and statistically safer than a firearm as a bear repellent

On the very off chance you are attacked, bear spray is emptied, bear not impressed
>for black bear fight back, sticks rocks, fists, and feet, fuck him up. For brown bear or polar bear play dead, the bear might get bored but even if it doesn't you'll need the practise since you soon will be dead.
>>
I let out a few good claps now and then to let the bears know I'm in the area.
>>
>>15867
>be me
>out on a hike
>clap my hands occasionally
>bear hears
>thinks I am a fish stranded in the shallows slapping against the water and rocks
>comes after me
>is angry at my ruse
>as he mauls me to death I think I hear him growl something about being an Americlap
>>
>>15868
7.5/10

I got a laugh out of it.
>>
We camped in NorCal over forty times in the last two years. If you don't have guns, you're camping in the wrong places. Who the fuck camps in campgrounds, with a bunch of Griswalds? Stop being an LA aspie.
>>
>>15870
>If you don't have guns, you're camping in the wrong places
So you are saying that you are camping so close to people, that you feel the need to carry guns to defend yourself?
Because there are certainly no dangerous animals in NorCal
Sounds like you camp in campgrounds to me
Not that there is anything wrong with that
I enjoy a campground stay occasionally myself
>>
The state is still gay, regardless of bear tactics.
>>
Don't tell anyone you have it Opie. Solved.
>>
>>15873
Problem double solved if it's a glawk fawty
>>
File: bakersfeel1.png (103KB, 547x717px) Image search: [Google]
bakersfeel1.png
103KB, 547x717px
just drive to a red county and get a CCW permit
>>
>>15871
*can't have
yeah I fucked that up sue me.

There's no reason to use campgrounds around here- between the Plumas, Tahoe, Eldorado, Toiyabe and Stanislaus National forests, there's endless dispersed camping. City slickers probably aren't comfortable unless the neighbors are running a generator, or ranger Dick is telling them when quiet time is- fug all of that. We bring guns and liquor. When the dirt roads are closed in the winter, we ski, snowshoe or hike into the primo spots. Campgrounds are for leppies.
>>
Cali is a shit /out/ state anyways

t.born and raised
>>
>>15846
>d live in oceans or in Antarctica
You have to pay very high fees to visit Antarctica, and unless you keep in international fees forever you also need to pay to visit all other sea areas.
>>
>>15878
*seas
>>
>>15876
>Dispersed camping in CA
I do that too
But you still haven't told us why you need to bring guns while doing it
>>
>>15878
You don't have to pay to visit seas.
>>
>>15881
When in a specific nation's territory it depends on that nation's laws. International territory is free but you can't stay there forever.
>>
>>15882
You don't need to pay yo enter territorial waters either. All you have to pay for is harbour fees and if you want to use a system like the Greek locks or Panama Canal
>>
>>15860
>objectively more effective
It's not, it's just far more often used against black bears, that's skewing the statistics.
>>
Bear spray works better than guns

http://www.campussafetymagazine.com/article/got_a_bear_on_campus_experts_say_pepper_spray_works_best

There are other articles and sources if you don't like this one
>>
>>15855

It's an admission of defeat.
>>
>dude you don't need a gun
https://vimeo.com/55420992

Even a moose can fuck you up big times.
>>
File: 1238895886504840879.jpg (15KB, 320x199px) Image search: [Google]
1238895886504840879.jpg
15KB, 320x199px
>>15885
Seriously though, bear spray only works if you use it, use it correctly, and at the correct time and distance from the bear.

Best case scenario, its definitely a bear, at the correct distance away, with little to no wind, you are holding the spray correctly, and you operate the can correctly in such away that you definitely hit the bear. If all that lines up, yeah ill admit bear spray MIGHT be more effective, and may dissuade the bear.

But if any of those dont match up, your fucked hard if you dont carry a gun.

What about a moose? A bobcat? A cougar? Wolves? More than one bear? Even a porcupine can fuck you up, can you tell me bear spray will stop every one of those, or any other animal that might mess you up? Literally any number of extenuating circumstances in which a gun would serve you better.

Bear spray is what you give out to hikers in a national park where there was a bear sighting 15 miles away to make them feel better. When you go in the bush, any kind of dispersed or primitive camping, bring a fucking gun.
>>
File: antitourism3.jpg (13KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
antitourism3.jpg
13KB, 360x240px
>>15842
>Bill of "Needs"

t. Calicuck

If everyone in your joke of state committed simultaneous seppuku the nation would be much better off. Also, please stop moving to my state.

Sincerely, Oregon-anon
>>
>>15888
>bear spray only works if you use it, use it correctly, and at the correct time and distance from the bear.

This is also true of guns. If you're too panicky and stupid to use bear spray correctly, you will also not use a firearm correctly.

User error is not the fault of the device.
>>
>>15890
Except guns you know, have more than one shot you imbecile. You miss you try again, even the most restrictive cuck states allow 5 tries with a gun, you gonna carry 5 cans of bear spray you fuck? Also just ignore all my other points why dont you.
>>
>>15890
Except that firearms are widely used by many to the point where they are almost an extension of the individual. Getting trained once by a YouTube video on how to use bear spray is entirely different than using a firearm you've literally shot thousands of times. Your argument is specious.
>>
>>15890
Except guns have an indefinate range, if its close enough to see its close enough to shoot especially in the bush. That and instead of blowing your load of highly irritating bear spray in your face is generally a lot worse than just have to pull the trigger again.
>>
>>15891
>>15892
>>15893
Wow, triggered?

Is your face all red and your hands shaking?
>>
File: Untitledh.png (104KB, 1864x780px) Image search: [Google]
Untitledh.png
104KB, 1864x780px
>>15894
if you implying samefag, i can assure you, you are wrong.
>>
>>15894
guy who has never handled a firearm before detected
>>
>>15894
Don't claim samefag just because your argument was so shitty that a crack baby could debunk it.
>>
>>15895
>>15896
>>15897
OK, so there's three of you. And you are all still triggered snowflakes

Bear spray works, evidence supports it.

Bring guns if you want (I do sometimes, believe it or not) but don't shit all over something that actually works just because you don't like it.

That's called being a sperg.
>>
And yes, bear spray will work on other animals. It's not magically calibrated to bears. Anything with a nose and eyes will hate it, even humans.
>>
>>15898
You see I addressed this point, bear spray CAN work. If you shoot it right, dont fumble, dont miss, dont have a head wind, the bear is in the right spot, not moving, and its definitely a bear, and theres defiantly only one.

Then yeah it may be better than a gun, but as I have already stated, any other situation guns are better.

>bear spray works on all creatures
even people in fact, which is why I dont use it, the slightest headwind and your fucked up just as much as a bear/any other beast.

Now I dont know about you, but id rather not do that.
>>
>>15898
For someone calling others spergs and triggered, you sure are a faggot.
>>
>>15898
How about don't dictate what I can and can't bring camping
>>
>>15898
>makes retarded claims
>gets shot down by three separate people
>b-but u gius r sperg

Stay retarded
>>
>>15902
I never did that, I even said "bring guns" nobody is telling you that can't bring guns.
>>
>>15890
>>15904
>If you're too panicky and stupid to use bear spray correctly, you will also not use a firearm correctly.
You are spreading misinformation about gun use and incorrectly advocating bearspray as the end all defense for any kind of animal confrontation.
>>
>>15900
How many times have you used bear spray?

>inb4 "how many times have shot guns?"

Plenty, I'm not anti-gun. I just know that bear spray is a viable thing for people going /out/, the two are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>15906
Not an argument. The drawbacks of a one use item that is an Area of Effect deterrent in which the user can easily be in the Area of Effect are self evident.
>>
>>15905
No, that statement is true. Someone who doesn't have wherewithall to use bear spray correctly in a stressful situation will also not be able to effectively use a firearm in a stressful situation. Guns do not magically imbue people with confidence and talent.

I was speaking in a general "you" not specifically you. I don't know your individual level of competency with a gun in stressful situations.
>>
>>15908
Also not an argument, and ignoring previous posts, even if you fumble the first shot you have at the bare minimum 4 more, and in many other states in the union as many as you can fit mecahnically.
>>
>>15907
In your opinion. But there is lots of verifiable evidence of bear spray being used effectively, in real world scenarios that don't match your narrow description of its effectiveness.
>>
>>15910
Motherfucker, you keep on making nonarguments and points that i have already disputed.

See
>>15900
>>15891
>>15893
>>15892
>>15888
>>
>>15909
You seem to be misunderstanding, I'm not arguing against the effectiveness of guns. I'm arguing for the effectiveness of bear spray.

It's not a zero sum, prospect.

And it's still true that panicking person will likely be unable to kill a bear with a gun no matter how many shots they take. That's not the gun's fault, it's the shooter's.
>>
File: 1bbr8l.jpg (52KB, 952x500px) Image search: [Google]
1bbr8l.jpg
52KB, 952x500px
>>15912
No matter how much experience you have shooting bearspray a person is likely to have more experience shooting a gun, simply due to cost and accessibility. Also, people kill bears all the time, and people with bear spray use it wrong and get attacked, or have you not seen this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK609rbSBLs
>>
>>15913
oh and he used it correctly, still almost died.
>>
>>15913
>No matter how much experience you have shooting bearspray a person is likely to have more experience shooting a gun, simply due to cost and accessibility.

That's not actually true, there are scores of people who go /out/ that are not proficient in the use of firearms. Even people that go out backpacking and dispersed camping.

As for point 2, please tell me the number of people that bear spray has failed as compared to the total incidents of bear spray being used.
>>
>>15915
*A person with a gun* is likely to be more proficient shooting a gun that shooting bearspray? Why? because why would you just go an buy several cans of expensive bearspray just to shoot it off when tards like you espouse how easy it is to use, and how amazing it is at deterring bear attacks.

If you go into the bush leaving your life on a single can of bearspray you have shot and practiced with less than you wold practice and shoot a firearm you would take, you are retarded.

It only takes one instance in which an animal shrugs off the spray, you use it incorrectly, you fumble and shoot too early, or any number of reasons, (wait ive been said this like 8 times now.) and your fucked. Period.

Advocating for bear spray when in even one instance it idndt work ASIDE from user error or the many other reasons it wouldnt work Is emprically wrong. The video i linked shows that even in a perfect situation where everything works, the stars align and they bear runs right through the entire spray of the can, it might not work.

If the man in the video had been carrying a simple 12 gauge with magnum slugs, even if he missed all 5, he would have had time to reload and get off another 5 when the bear came back around the SECOND time. With a semi auto .308 nato, or any number of big bore rifles people generally take to fend off bears he wouldve even had time to reload if he ran out during the time it takes a bear to charge 80 yards.

So once again, Bear spray is what they give hikers to make them feel better. If you want to protect your life, bring a goddam gun.
>>
Unlike bear spray, you can trust a bullet to go in the direction you fire it.

nogunz CA commies btfo
>>
>>15916
Anon, there are plenty of incidents of firearms failing not because of user error and the end result is a mauling or death. So therefore by your own argument, guns are also useless and should not be taken /out/.

This is the gaping hole in your argument, anon. You are not arguing from a position if logic or reason, you are arguing your feelings about bear spray.

Again, your argument is very clear, because bear spray has failed, it must not be used. Regardless of how many times it has failed or how many times it has worked.

The exact sane argument can be applied to guns. Because it's an illogical, irrational argument.
>>
>>15918
My argument was that even in a perfect situation without user error and the stars align, bear spray still might not work, as evidenced by the video of the man I linked. The same cant be said of guns, and the benefits far outweigh the potential failures.

Calling my argument irrational when you put forward no evidence other than "Hurr guns can be bad tooo" when addressing none of my points and using less than anecdotal evidence to back up your claims make me think your trolling or retarded.
>>
>>15919
Well what kind of evidence would change your mind? I could provide lots of studies and anecdotal evidence that bear spray works, but your belief is that because it failed even once of is not to be used.

What kind of evidence would get you to reevaluate that position? I'm honestly curious.
>>
>>15920
>is that because it failed even once of is not to be used.
Thats not my point, let me show you AGAIN
>My argument was that even in a perfect situation without user error and the stars align, bear spray still might not work, as evidenced by the video of the man I linked.

It is an inferior option, not only may it not work in a perfect situation, theres no follow up shots if something does go wrong. Telling people all they need is bear spray in bear country is like telling woman all they need in a rape situation is to not fight back. Simply put, if you go out with bear spray, your asking for it.

If you can prove to me that bear spray is more effective so a bear CANT just shrug it off and isnt influenced by things you cant control like rain, and wind speed then its a viable option.

But that isnt true, because bear spray is affected by those things, and a bear might just shrug it off, and you have no follow up shots, and it could mess you up just as much and a myriad of other reasons bear spray is empirically inferior.
>>
>>15921
You contradict yourself in your own post.

>Simply put, if you go out with bear spray, your asking for it.

That is literally you saying that bear spray is ineffective and people should never use it.
>>
>Advocating for bear spray when in even one instance it idndt work ASIDE from user error or the many other reasons it wouldnt work Is emprically wrong.

I mean this is literally you saying that even if it fails once, that completely invalidates its effectiveness.
>>
>>15922
how is that contradicting myself, thats accurate, its your own fault if you go out in the bush without adequate protection and then get killed when your bear spray either A.) dosent do its express purpose for no other reason than the bear didnt care or B.) any number of extentuating circumstances that can render bear spray ineffective.

Thats what ive been saying. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
>>
>>15923
If theres a recall notice because ONE TIME an airbag failed to deploy in your make and model of car, wouldnt you get it fixed? I sure would, because it only takes one time.
>>
Oh look it's this thread again.
>>
>>15924
But going out with bear spray isn't playing stupid games because the majority of the time it's effective.

If bear spray had a wildly out of control failure rate (which it doesn't) it would be playing stupid games.

Nothing has a 100% success rate, but spray has a really good success rate. It's an effective way to mitigate risk when /out/ that is an empirical fact.
>>
>>15927
see
>>15925
There are better options, and your an idiot for not using them.
>>
>>15925
But that's not what that statement is saying. What that statement is saying is that if an airbag fails one time, you shouldn't have airbags in your car.
>>
>>15929
Its saying you should get a better airbag. Instead of taking bear spray you should bring a better option. A gun. Duh.
>>
>>15928
Actually I didn't want to get into this argument because I'm not anti-gun, but whether or not guns are more effective than bear spray has not been confirmed.

Anyway, I have to go make dinner now. Thank you for the livy discussion.
>>
>>15913
This.

>Be frumpy liberal thot
>kayak on a rainy day
>land in some remote woodland area
>drag kayak ashore so it doesn't drift away
>suddenly, bear
>spray bear
>bear eats kayak
>beg bear to not eat kayak
>bear eats kayak anyway
>stranded alone in remote woodlands with bear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw_NGXyO57s
>>
>>15932
Lol, i forgot about that one too.
>>
>>15884
It is statistically more effective due to the fact that people using firearms as bear defence keep shooting themselves or their /out/ compatriots. Apparently even long term gun users turn into spray and pray retards during bear encounters.
Look it up, the numbers are surprising.
>>
>>15837
>what is a pointed stick?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>15934
>>
If one of my friends said:

"Hey anon, I'm going hiking and I'm worried about bears. Should I bring a gun?"

I'd say "Sure, as long as you understand it and are comfortable using it"

Or

"Hey anon, I'm going hiking and I'm worried about bears. Should I bring bear spray?"

I'd say "Sure, as long as you understand it and are comfortable using it."

If they said:

"Hey anon, I'm going hiking and I'm worried about bears, should I bring a dragon dildo?"

I'd say "No, leave that shit at home and take some bear spray or a gun."

Then I tell them that getting attacked by a bear is really uncommon and that 99% of not getting eaten by a bear is preparation and keeping calm.
>>
>>15937
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK609rbSBLs
>>
>>15938
https://www.google.com.ec/amp/s/www.outsideonline.com/2124656/what-todd-orrs-mauling-teaches-us-about-bear-attacks%3Famp

More details on the attack.
>>
File: DSC_0156.jpg (719KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0156.jpg
719KB, 1200x803px
>>15871
>Because there are certainly no dangerous animals in NorCal
Never heard of mountain lions?
>>
>>15940
Yes, great cat native to North America, part of the Puma family.
They are ambush predators that typically attack from behind.
>>
>>15837
>being afraid of black bears

just kys. I don't have the stats in front of me but I can say without a doubt that if you bring a gun /out/ you're MANY, MANY, MANY times more likely to hurt yourself with the gun than you are likely to save yourself with it.
>>
>>15942
Black bears in Canada and Alaska are actually pretty vicious and have killed people (even ones with guns).
>>
>>15942
Go fuck yourself, you are less likely to shoot yourself than you are at risk off hurting yourself with you axe or knife when /out/. No guns get out.
>>
>>15943
Coyotes killed a woman in the Maritimes a few years back too
>>
>>15945
Yeah, I grew up in the Dakotas and have seen what coyotes in a pack can do. If I here one lonesome coyote call, NBD. But if I hear multiples (especially two groups calling back to each other), that puts me a bit on edge.
>>
>>15941
So they are not classified as a dangerous animal?
>>
>>15947
Not in the least, you can walk right up and hug them.
>>
>>15858
Pretty much this. I see Black Bears all the time. If one is encountered, and there are multiple people together, simply stand next to each other. If a backpacker is alone and encounters a black bear, stand tall and make noise.

CA Black Bears are total pussies. No need for a gun or bear spray. Bear canisters, however, are absolutely necessary.
>>
>>15946
>two groups calling back to each other
:3

https://youtu.be/n6ot-qyC0O8
>>
>>15940
If you are afraid of mountains you must be a manlet
They only attack little things

Please stay at home if you are going to be afraid of everything
>>
>>15948

Kys faggot.
Like seriously, I hope you get cancer, or get stabbed by a nigger.
>>
>>15898
>bear spray works
>yeah but a gun would be better
>WOW TRIGGERED MUCH?!! STOP BEING SUCH CRYBABIES!!!!
kek have another (you)
>>
OK, gunfags. Please provide non-anecdotal evidence that guns are more effective in bear attacks than spray is.

Not evidence that bear spray fails. Evidence of one failure is not proof of another success.
>>
>>15954
The number of bears culled by hunters in many states, every year, is tracked by permit and almost all permits issued end up being verified by fish and wildlife. You can bet they use guns.
>>
>>15955
Also note the lack of death or injury of bear hunters while hunting bears with appropriate caliber rifles.
>>
>>15953
Not him but a study found that spray stopped undesirable bear behavior 92% of the time, another study found that in 98% of cases the spray user escaped uninjured. This all comes with the added benefit that spray does no real damage to any people or the bear.

As for firearms, if used exactly right they are basically 100% effective (of course the bear also dies basically 100% of the time), however statistics show that they are very rarely used perfectly, in most cases even proficient firearms users have a habit of shooting themselves and/or other people during bear attacks.
>>
>>15957
See
>>15938
Killing the bear means nothing when a human life is in danger, and id trust my abilities with a firearm over chance and a situation out of my control ant day of the week. If the bear dies its because i chose to save my own life instead
>>
>>15837

Canadian here. I didn't read any of the thread yet but I'd like to point out that this thread has taught me something new. I thought you could have a gun anywhere in the land of the free, but apparently California isn't as free as I thought it was?
>>
>>15959
It isn't true. While Commiefornia does have some very strict and convoluted gun laws you can still own a gun and go innawoods with it. Things like hunting rifles, shotguns and sidearms are legal, most of the restrictions are aimed at tacticool shit.

It's just hyperbole that shiposters use as bait.
>>
>>15958
Yeah, I'm a bear hunter so I'm not opposed to killing bears, even when a human life isn't in danger. But, when I'm out on a hike, or when someone asks me, I recommend spray because it's very effective and statistically less likely to hurt you or someone else. I'm old enough to know that I am not the exception to the rule, no matter how good I am with a firearm, no matter how well trained (I have hunted all my life and spent 4 years at a law enforcement detachment with the USCG learning close quaters high pressure, shooting drills and I qualified with E device for long guns), there is still too high of a chance I'm going to hit something or somebody I don't want to during a bear attack. It's just a numbers game for me.
>>
>>15959
Some places in the US have laws similar to ours where handguns, concealed carry, certain rifles, etc are increasingly difficult to get. Like our laws it's often arbitrary and based on nonsense related to how a gun looks or what kind of political reputation it has.
>>
>>15961
Hey anon, thanks for being a gunbro and not a gunfag.
>>
>>15956
Back statements up with evidence.

>>15955
>Bear hunters use guns when they hunt bears, not bear spray.

Obviously you don't go bear hunting with bear spray. Unfortunately this is a non-event because we're talking about unplanned bear encounters, which often happen very quickly and unexpectedly, not bear hunting where a person goes out and actively pursues a bear with the intent to kill it.

So again, non-anecdotal evidence that firearms are more effective in bear encounters than bear spray.
>>
>>15964
*non-arguement not non-event, sorry.
>>
>>15961
This, getting a kill shot on a charging bear is very difficult even for experienced /out/doorsmen.

See the above interview with Todd Orr where he explains his reasoning for going for his spray instead of his gun. He knew he would likely wound the bear before it was on him, which would have made it fight harder and may also have attracted her cubs.

Yeah, the spray didn't work, but his gun wouldn't have either and likely would have made the situation worse.
>>
>>15966
heard a story about a guy who unloaded a 44mag and then reloaded, and unloaded it again before finally dropping a bear, he was last scene at the range with a .500S&W doing rapid fire drills. have fun with your wet noodle arms and your faggot aerosol bbq sauce
>>
>>15967
Cool second hand story, bro.

Sorry your Daddy made you put on a dress and touch his pee pee.
>>
>>15876
sick elitism bruh
>>
>>15967
I don't believe you
>>
>>15970
Do you really think someone would that? Just lie on the internet?
>>
>>15889
Actually a gun owning resident of Virginia who also has a fucking brain on his head. Black bears are pussies, one time I had a large male growling at me that ran away when I yelled and threw a rock at him. If you don't live in an area where brown bears, moose, or elk are an issue then carrying a gun is unnecessary. And if you do, a shotgun will serve you much better than an assault rifle, and are legal in California anyway. Don't be a moron.
>>
>>15949
>Bear canisters, however, are absolutely necessary.
What are these? Pringle cans filled with loose change?
>>
>>15866
>For brown bear or polar bear play dead
>or polar bear
Nope, nope, nope. Polar bears are the only purely carnivorous bear. If you play dead they are just going to eat you. Food is already scarce enough in the arctic, they won't pass you up if you. Especially if you put up no resistance.

If a polar bear is looking to fuck your shit up, and you can't scare it off or get to safety, just fucking shoot it. Shoot it until it quits breathing and moving. You are being hunted by an apex predator. Don't let it take your life.
>>
File: lel'd.jpg (25KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
lel'd.jpg
25KB, 398x500px
>>15868
>>
>>15842
>Horny black bear
anon, are you speaking from experience?
>>
>>15837
Look if flamethrowers are declared as weaponry, i heard most states dont seem them as that. Also, ash and coal should fertilize the soil pretty good
>>
>>15837
lol you obviously dunno shit about this states wildlife. there's only black bears in california dumbass, they aren't remotely as aggressive towards people like brown bears are.
>>
>>15886
????????????????
lol im almost sorry your life is shit
>>
>>15898
Any study I have read has said bears are REPELLED by spray better than guns, as in the bear disengages. If you shoot it they will attack, but guns will also solve the bear attacking.

Not one peer reviewed paper has ever claimed a bear is anything more than repelled by spray. If you get in between a mother and its cub, good luck dude. Problem with studies dealing in people killing bears is that a good deal of it goes unreported, especially in rural places. Guns are good protection against both people and wildlife, homeless meth heads in the woods aren't phased by pepper spray or whatever bullshit either.
>>
>>15852
Clearly you haven't been to West Hollywood
>>
>>15980
If you shoot it they will attack, but guns MAY also solve the bear attacking.

FTFY

Kill shots are not guaranteed, even for experienced hunters/shooters.
>>
why are you gunfags so triggered by the existence of bear spray?
>>
>>15983
They see it as a librul plot to take their guns away, and since that is the single most important issue in their lives they get extremely triggered by it
>>
>>15982
This is why you don't take a fudd gun and just carry an M92 or other small backpacking gun in a reasonable caliber. Going /out/ with a G3 would be fine for any NA beast you would encounter (purely self defense scenario, we aren't talking hunting here).

Problem with the study I saw didn't specify whether the people were using semi auto or not, as a lot of fudds will only use bolt action. I think it's worth talking about the merits of the studies themselves, because I guarantee there would be more injury-less encounters with guns if people just used semi auto.

On that note, best hiking gun IMO would be something like a .458 SOCOM pistol with a decent reflex sight.
>>
>>15837
Black bears are fucking pussies. I sent one running for miles when I pegged it straight between the eyes with a unopened can of chillie beans once.

You should feel bad for being such a wimp.
>>
>>15871
>Because there are certainly no dangerous animals in NorCal

Have you ever even been here? We have black bears out the ass, mountain lions by the cubic fuckton, a goodly number of elk, and deer for days. Yes, deer and elk will fuck your shit up if you piss them off.

Please don't breed. The world doesn't need any more of your arrogant stupidity.
>>
>>15987
Can you post some relatively recent examples of mountain lion, deer, elk, or bear attacks on people in NorCal? (Excluding auto accidents obviously)
>>
>>15988
this website is not here to spoon feed you, your burden of proof technique receives no upvotes here
>>
>>15838
my favorite /out/ activity is letting behemoths run at me until they're within my sprays 20 foot limit then praying to god that this particular bear doesnt have a high tolerance to essentially Indian food in a bottle
>>
>>15866
>I live in VA
>only bear = black bear
>you literally never have to fear adult bears
>get your shit in order if you see a cub
>like, change some shit about your situation if you see a cub
>>
>>15972
>gun owning
>uses term "assault rifle"
>mfw grandfathering this cuck a gun he's never shot shouldnt count as owning
>>
>>15977
Destructive Device
even more bigly taxes
>>
>>15837
Bear spray is more effective anyway.
Black bears are pussies and there are hardly any grizzlies left in the lower 48.

>b-but remember that time when Canada banned guns and they all got eaten by polar bears?
>>
>>15989
So no then

this website is not here to spoon feed you cum, your love of faggotry technique receives no erections here
>>
>>15837
When my family went hiking last, we were definitely armed.

>semi auto 12 Guage with police anti personnel rounds (slug, buckshot, AND extra powder. Kicks like a mule on roids)
>.45 with hollow points for people problems

All were loaded. I'd rather get in a little trouble with an overzealous cop than die from a bear or person. So glad I'm in arizona now though.
>>
>>15838

What is bear? Ursine don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.
>>
I think people might have missed the point slightly here,

Bear Spray is *usually* effective, it's what the NPS recommends, the majority pf people carry it. Your chances of a hit are fairly good.

With a gun I guess it depends on what you're carrying. But you will be panicking, most people have never used their gun under pressure before either. Plus if you're being charged you probably only have time for a couple of shots anyway.

Bears are big, it's not like a human, being able to hit it once isn't the challenge. You'd have to get at least one - maybe more - shots into the head or spine of the bear in a couple of seconds. Otherwise you've probably just made your furry friend angry, and more likely to kill you.

Maybe bear spray isn't 100% effective, but I have my doubts that the average person with a gun is any better.

It's your call, I might consider carrying a gun as a backup but I'd pick spray any day,
>>
>>15998
>It's your call, I might consider carrying a gun as a backup but I'd pick spray any day,
"The gun as a backup" really doesn't work in reality. If bear spray fails to halt a charging bear you probably won't have time to draw the gun before its on you. You're going to have to choose one or the other.

Personally I'd pick bear spray since I'm not confident enough I could down a bear with a gun under pressure. Plus I live in commiefornia so 99.9% of the time just yelling at the bear will send it running for its life.
>>
The only "real" argument against carrying guns for bear protection in this thread is is "Bear spray works 99% of the time" and "Youll be panicking and shoot yourself".

The thing is, bear spray dosent work 100% of the time, even if you get it perfect with the whole can, its entirely dependent on the bear, which it might just piss off.
If your carrying a gun for protection, you should have at least 100 hours of training on your own time under your belt, especially if your carrying to protect yourself from large animals, and memeing "Youll panic guns arent worth anything cause they are dangerous and youll die!!!" is just retarded.

If you wanna trust your life to bear spray which might not work in a literal textbook use of it barring any number of scenarios that may render it useless(the easiest one being more than one animal encountered on your trip) go for it.
However if you dont want to depend on a system that might not work, and is proven to be less than adequate if not used in a perfect situation, you could take your safety into your own hands, and train properly with a firearm adequate for protection more power to you.

I wont have my safety compromised because I trusted my life to a can of bear spray which is rendered 100% useless by light rain, a headwind, or any other number or extenuating circumstances commonly encountered.
>>
>>15957
but is there any data skewing?
are the people using bear spray getting into the same kinds of encounters that people with guns are?

how many spray incidents did the individual have a gun and choose to use spray because the bear was doing something less dangerous?
are people who use guns more likely to be in more dangerous bear encounters?

we need to know what kinds of encounters these people are getting in, or we might be comparing apples to oranges
>>
>>15842
>30 rounds
>not 200 round belt.

Once the bear invasion happens you'll be DOOMED.
>>
>>16000
honestly, you shouldn't carry a handgun for bear defense

rifles are much better suited to real world use and require a lot less skill to use effectively
>>
>>15837
>not allowed to have a gun
>in america
>get shot anyway
>>
>>15837
Im more wary of crazy people then animals. I would keep a handgun within reach (especially in California )
>>
I Michigun always gun camping. Not fraid bears. Havin gun fun as fuck. Aint shoot no bears but Shoot beer cans fun as fuck. If bear come by I yell loud lyrics to grand funk song- bear run. I shoot cans.
>>
>>15837
California is subject to the Supremacy Act; Federal law trumps state law.
Enforcing state laws that are unconstitutional is a Federal crime and declaration of war against US citizens.
Nogunz want a war against gun owners? That'll go well.
>>
>>16003
I never said handgun, I carry a pump 12 gauge, cheap, light and with magnum slugs itll stop anything charging you in North America.

In the vid of the guy who got mauled twice by a grizzly he stated it was about 80 meters away when he spotted it, it went into brush and then charged him from 60 meters In that time he couldve easily had 8 slugs down range in the close to 4 seconds a bear would take to cross 60 meters before he had to reload, many more rounds if he had a semi auto.

Considering that the bear attacked him TWICE, he couldve easily taken down the bear if he had chose a gun instead of bear spray.
>>
>>16007
>muh gunz guise reeeeeeee!!!

Fuck off back to your safe space containment board champ
>>
>>15838
>>15840
Have you all already forgotten the video of the guy who got mauled to fuck and back by a bear after fruitlessly attempting to stop it with bear spray?
>>
>>16009
That sure convinced me.
>>
File: 1487786024131.png (198KB, 500x867px) Image search: [Google]
1487786024131.png
198KB, 500x867px
>>15860
>a short ranged non-lethal weapon is more effective than a long ranged lethal weapon
>>
>>16010
>>16008
3rd time im posting this, a perfect example of what happens when everything goes right, TWICE and bear spray still dosent work.
What he said in interviews afterward was that after the initial attack, he got up and started hoofing it back, and the bear either stalked him or another grizzly found him, he brought out a second can of bear spray, again no effect, and it mauled him again.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK609rbSBLs
>>
>>16009
Just hide the thread and chill /out/

Jeez dude.
>>
>>15837
Not reading the thread. The same general answer is usually the best. STAY OUT OF CALIFORNIA. It is cancer.
>>
>>15837
talk to any park ranger in california especially those in the sierra nevadas, guns are just 100% not necessary to protect yourself from the bears you come across. Even bear spray doesn't see much use desu. The best way to deal with bears is to properly manage your foods and scentables, and behave properly when you actually encounter one.

also black bears are pussies desu
>>
>>16013
but thats not in california
>>
>>16017
It only takes once, it dosent matter where you are, if there are bears around it could happen to you.
>>
>>16013
the bare stalked him our another bear mauled him again? this guy needs to stay out off the woods. lol sry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCu7qAmFdI
>>
>>16019
he must smell/taste like ham our something.
>>
>>16019
Either or, he dosent state whether it was teh same bear again or another, and he probably didnt know or care to know at the time. He tried twice in one day with bear spray, and got knocked down and chewed up each time.
A good 8 in cut along his scalp, one broken and chewed up arm, the other shoulder dislocated and chewed up, the whole attack is a good excercise on how to survive being mauled, stay facedown in the fetal position covering our neck, but twice in one day, using 2 whole cans of bear spray throughout and still getting mauled is kinda telling.
>>
>>16021
What happens when you trust your life to bear spray. notice his ear hanging off.
>>
I've never once been so certain I'm the smartest person on 4chan as I have been browsing this thread.
>>
>>16000
>If your carrying a gun for protection, you should have at least 100 hours of training on your own time under your belt,

That's the real problem here, no doubt a gun in the right hands can do the job, but most people aren't trained to a high enough standard to use one against a bear successfully. A lot of people treat guns like they're a magical solution that solves all problems and makes you look cool. But as much as your bear spray might just not work, you can miss with your gun or the bear might just shrug it off.

Neither are 100% effective. If you're an experienced shooter then maybe a gun is worth a go. But, I'm British and I've not shot a gun for years, wouldn't mind a big gun too but I'd pick spray first...
>>
>>16024
>>If your carrying a gun for protection, you should have at least 100 hours of training on your own time under your belt,
That amount of time is literally just a few days a month at the range, which can be done in a lot less if you arent a retard. Its just becoming familiar with a firearm, knowing how to load it under pressure and aiming.

>But as much as your bear spray might just not work, you can miss with your gun or the bear might just shrug it off.
Thats why you go out with more than one bullet.
>>
>>16024
If you cant be bothered to adequately prepare to go /out/, whether thats being proficient in a firearm, knowing what to do in an emergency or having adequate supplies you have bigger problems than bears, and you shouldnt be going out at all.
>>
>>16020
I have a really long sharp axe. if that doesn't work I have two machetes and to annoying pellet guns. and i'm take some bear spray too.
>>
>>16003
10MM stronk.
>>
>>16025
desu, I think you'd need more experience than that. It's very high pressure and you just can't afford to fuck up. A lot of people who consider themselves "experienced" shooters start making mistakes under that kind of pressure. It's one thing to know how to use your gun, another to do it while under attack.

You need to be able to get one or (preferably) more shots into the bear's head or spine while it moves. You might not have that much time, the bear could shrug off shots, or you could just miss under pressure. Bear spray doesn't guarantee your safety but guns don't either.

Going into the wild is dangerous, nothing is completely safe. You can carry a big fuckin gun around California, or you can just accept the pretty tiny risk factor and go without.
>>
>>16026
Most people walking in California go safely without a gun, plus desu /Out/ hardly the epitome of outdoor proficiency. Sure theres some cool stuff on here, but a lot of /out/ is just car camping with outdated milsurp, dodgy kit and an unhealthy knife/gun fetish...
>>
>>16029
Yet all the experience you need with bear spray is on the back of the can huh? Something is better than nothing and being prepared involves a level of proficency with ALL the tools you carry, same as how you should know how to hold an axe to not miss and hit your ankle, knowing how to use your firearm is a skill you should learn.

>>16030
and joggers in San Fran get mauled by mountain lions, whats your point?

It might be a one in a million chance, but when that one in a million is you, im sure shitposting about personal safety on 4chan is something youll look back on fondly.
>>
>>16031
>It might be a one in a million chance, but when that one in a million is you, im sure shitposting about personal safety on 4chan is something youll look back on fondly.

It's the real world man... Even a session rock climbing carries a risk of maybe 1 in 5,000 of serious injury. What's wrong with accepting the risk and getting on with my life?

Also, Mountain Lions in SF? That's paranoia...
>>
>>16032
so by your argument you wouldnt wear a helmet, pads or ropes when you go rock climbing? Cause thats what your saying.

See Todd Orr, his vids been posted 3 times in this thread already. Play stupid games get stupid prizes.
>>
>>16002
Yea that's why I always bring a gpmg into the woods
>>
>>16033
>so by your argument you wouldnt wear a helmet, pads or ropes when you go rock climbing? Cause thats what your saying.

Actually the risk of me not being able to repel a bear with my spray is about the same as the risk of my gear failing while I climb... Doesn't seem unreasonable, and it means I can leave the ridiculous gun I'd have to carry behind...
>>
>>16035
except your gear works in the rain, wind, and cold.
>>
>>16036
Guns are heavy and I doubt that I'd ever need one. I'm not interested in carrying around a heavy piece of metal which may or may not be useful in a situation that will probably never happen.
>>
>>16037
handguns in a decent caliber can be under 3 pounds, a shotgun is about 6-7 pounds. If you go out in national parks, on long hiking trips or basically anywhere away from people wildlife can very easily be a problem, coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, moose, and yes even bear. If you dont go outside your city parks, good for you.
>>
>>16038
Why so scared :P

Seriously, most people don't carry a gun out on the trails... Much less a shotgun... Not worth the effort...
>>
>>15885
Ah yes, the study where 100% of the firearm cases involved aggressive bears, while only 1/3rd of the bear spray cases involved aggressive bears.

And when Dean Weingarten from TTAG contacted Dave Smith to talk about his study, Dave was unable to recall any case where a handgun had failed to stop a bear.

And in the author's own words: "...additional records would have likely improved firearm success rates from those reported here, but to what extent is unknown."
>>
File: ha.jpg (44KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
44KB, 446x400px
>>16038
>coyotes
>a problem
Choose one
What is it like being scared all the time?
>>
>>16041
Think of the scary Moose tho :p
>>
>>16039
>>16041
>>16042
The classic "Y u so scared, you mus have small penis" argument, that isnt an argument. I know being responsible for your own safety scares you, so stick the day trails, obviously you dont do anything more strenuous than walk through the city park across the street.
>>
>>16043
>d, you mus have small penis" argument, that isnt an argument. I know being responsible for your own safety scares you, so stick the day trails, obviously you dont do anything more strenuous than walk through the city park across the street.

Dude, maybe we've actually been in the real world and realised that most of the time we don't need to be armed to the teeth...
>>
>>16044
Have fun in your city parks, and your day "hikes".
>>
>>16045
Ironically I'd prefer a gun in a city park than out in the wilderness....
>>
>>16044
see>>16022
>>
>>16033
>Todd Orr

You mean the experienced hunter and /out/doorsman who said that a gun wouldn't have prevented his injuries, may actually have made the attack worse and that his particular attack was a fluke and a lose/lose situation?
>>
>>16048
Todd Orr who made the wrong decision twice and almost died for it twice. You cant know what wouldve happened had he used a gun, but what did happen is that bear spray failed, twice.
>>
>>16049
>guns are always better than bear spray

>look, you can't really know what would have happened if he had used a gun

We get it, you don't fucking like bear spray even though it has helped far more people than it has hurt.

How about you follow >>15902 advice and stop dictating to people what they can and can't bring camping.

>That's not what I'm doing!

That's exactly what you're doing.
>>
>>16050
Dont give people advice on what to use against animals when bear spray is proven to fail in a situation where it had every chance for it to work, twice, which almost never happens.
>>
>>16051
You've made your point, stop telling people what they can and cannot do.
>>
>>16052
Stop telling me what I can and cannot do.
>Protip: All i ever wanted was for you faggots to admit bear spray might not work, and there are other options that could save your life when bear spray wont.
>>
>>16053
>bear spray might not work
>there are other options

Hey fagmotron, nobody in this thread said that bear spray has a 100% success rate and several people in this thread have stated that guns are also a viable option, but like bear spray, do not have a 100% success rate.

Nothing has a 100% success rate when it comes to animal attacks.
>>
>>16054
Yeah, but there are options that arent rendered useless if the temp drops below 32f or there's something called weather.
>>
>>16053
>>16051

Sorry, but all verifiable evidence shows that bear spray is an effective way of mitigating risk in animal attacks even if it has failed in a minority of situations and I will continue to list it as a viable option, as well as firearms, for people going /out/

If you don't like that, well then I guess you can just keep complaining on 4chan about it.

> in b4 stupid games, stupid prizes again

If bear spray had a greater failure rate I would agree with you, but it doesn't. It would be a stupid game if it increased risk, but it has been shown to decrease risk.
>>
>>16038
>coyotes
Only a threat to household pets
>wolves
Sure, if you're in northern Canada
>mountain lion
If you can see a mountain lion, it isn't a threat. You have to fight them off hand-to-hand if you're pounced you'd never see it coming.
>moose
Do you know what the size of gun you would need to take down a charging moose? Doesn't matter, all you have to do is run away.
>bears
In grizzly territory sure. If you're this afraid of black bears you've obviously never encountered one.
>>
"USE BEAR SPRAY!"
Fucking noobs, get a gun, know how to use it and don't be a faggot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK609rbSBLs
>>
>>16057
Coyotes have attacked and killed people, mostly kids.

Attacked by a mountain lion, wouldn't you stil lwant a gun?

A 9 will take down a moose just fine, don't be a fucking retard.
>>
>>16039
It's worth the effort if you go out to shoot as well, I mean, why the fuck not?
>>
>>16021
He even had a pistol on him. Just imagine if he used it in the first place?
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (262KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
262KB, 1280x720px
>>16061
he probably wouldnt have half his face hanging off.
>>
Nobody cares about bears, you carry a gun for drunk rednecks/ injos and tweakers.
Just came back from three days in the Sierras, carried a G29 in a Kenai chest holster the whole time.
t. Commiefornian
>>
>>973136
Nice Ad hominem bro, try making actual arguments next time.
>>
I'm all for carrying guns while /out/, but the idea of needing one for "defense" against black bears is laughable. Also if you think coyotes are a threat and you are above the age of 12 you should just stay inside.
>>
>>16065
Can tell you've never actually been outside around dangerous animals.
>>
>>16061

I reckon he'd a killed the bear the first time and avoided the 'getting my face chewed on' situation entirely.

Bear spray fails, lead doesn't. Plain and simple.
>>
File: predator_dutch_billy.png (1MB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
predator_dutch_billy.png
1MB, 1280x688px
>>15837
what do you see billy?...bears?

fucking Californians are cute. implying there are even bears left there. Isn't the bear on your flag extinct?
>>
>>15837
You can have a gun while camping in cali

Read the laws
>>
File: #HARDYBOYS.jpg (18KB, 318x318px) Image search: [Google]
#HARDYBOYS.jpg
18KB, 318x318px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktpCrbs7oE

I 80 FAST FORWARD
>>
>>16068
Californian here. We have bears. They do thousands of dollars a year of property damage to my rural farm.

We don't have many/any GRIZZLY BEARS. We have shit-tons of brown bears.
>>
>>16066
Buddy I'm from eastern canada I've seen bears and coyotes in my front yard
>>
>>15837
You can open carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on BLM land in California.
>>
>>16071
>We don't have many/any GRIZZLY BEARS. We have shit-tons of brown bears.
I think you're confused.
>>
>>15932
>bear comes at you
>you somehow manage a truce
>you two start hunting together
>go on adventuresn together
>new friend for life.
>>
>>16067
Lead fails all the time, and it doesn't work instantly either. A seriously or mortally wounded bear is going to fight to the death. It's entirely likely that if he'd shot the bear it would have killed him right out.
>>
All I learned in this thread is gunfags are tremendous pussies.
>>
File: Idjits.gif (994KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
Idjits.gif
994KB, 500x250px
>>15880

You know how all those zombie and horror movies start while camping and nobody has a gun? That's why.
>>
>>16077
Try making a real argument next time, sorry being responsible for your own safety scares you.
>>16076
I bet its easier to fight off a bear bleeding out with 5+ holes in it than it is to fight off a bear you made mad with pepper spray.
>>
>>16079
It isn't. A wounded animal fights much, much harder than an irritated animal.
>>
>>16077
But I bet you won't tell them that in person.
>>
I just don't understand why people still fucking argue against bear spray even with evidence supporting it. It's like they just want justification to shoot something living.

As someone who has lived around black bears their entire life I laugh when I see chuklefucks talking about what gun to bring for defense against them.

Same thing with coyotes
>>
>>16082
Lots of us just want an excuse to pack heat. By "bears" we mean "humans".
>>
>>15934
>statistically
and where exactly did you get these statistics from?
>>
Just because Anit-gun fags are shitting up this thread, heres yet another story where bear spray did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, except this time the man had a gun, and was able to take responsibility for his own safety and killed the bear.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/gun-charge-against-man-who-shot-glacier-grizzly-bear-dismissed/article_c8fcff56-540e-11e4-997b-d776d119223d.html
TLDR:
>man encounters bear stalking other hikers
>man yells "BEAR" drawing bears attention, saving hikers
>bear charges man
> Man deploys bear spray at proper distance, .357 in hand, bear spray in other
>Bear runs right through it
>No effect.
>man shoots bear one time, ONCE.
>bear is stopped in its tracks, falls over.
>Man runs, saving hikers and himself
>Man brought up on charges for firing gun and "hurting muh wildlife"
>Judge throws it out the case, with prejudice, meaning he can never be charged again for this, ever.

Conclusion
>Guns work, even when bear spray might not.
>>
>>16085
You mean this thread that was started with a blatant gunfag shit post?
>>
>>16086
OPs post is a Serious initial post which led to a bunch of anti gun shitposting, try an argument next time that involves the main point of my reply.
>>
As long as the camp site isn't in a state park you can have a loaded gun.
>>
>>16087
It's not a serious post, it's hyperbole for the sake of starting arguments.

That is the definition of shitposting.
>>
>>16089
Apparently legitimate concerns about not being allowed to own standard firearms for defense is shitposting. Considering california is arguably the most restrictive state in the US, OP saying he cant have a gun is actually a reasonable assumption to make.
>>
>>16090
No, it isn't. Please look up the definitions of "reasonable" and "hyperbole".
>>
>>16091
>literally the the most restrictive state to own firearms
>Only handguns you can buy are on a very short list, all other handguns BANNED
>Literally Unconstitutional 10+ day waiting period
>MANDATORY registrations
>Mandatory 75$+ dollar fee for any sale, even private
>MANDATORY restrictions on private sales between 2 private citizens
>Magazine Limits, limiting even some revolvers
>Confusing "Assault weapons ban" which puts forth conflicting information and when abided by, is changed without a vote for no other reason than to make it harder to won guns.

Yeah, no, anything that conflicts with your worldview is totally hyperbole.
>>
>>15837
You're in the wrong state to have to carry a firearm for protection from wildlife. You should be more concerned about tweakers.
>>
>>16089
And you are, by definition, an idiot.
>>
>>16092
No one has disagreed that California has restrictive gun laws. But saying "you can't own a gun in California" IS hyperbole. Denying that and calling me an idiot doesn't change the definition of hyperbole or the fact that this thread was started as argument bait for guys like you.
>>
>>16095
No, hyperbole would be saying california actively hunts down gun owners and executes them without due process. That statement is hyperbole because while cali does impose draconian punishments for the slightest offenses it falls short of that. Saying you cant own a gun in cali is entirely reasonable, because of the number of restrictions placed upon a private citizen actively deter many from even attempting to get a gun, and even if you did take that burden upon yourself, you could be denied for no other reason than "You went to a therapist once", or "You currently take life saving medications", or "I dont like the look of you", and thats if you can even afford a gun in cali, where most guns go for at MINIMUM double the value of the exact same model in other states. So saying you cant get a gun in cali, might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it might not.
>>
>>16096
You're just arguing semantics for the sake of keeping the argument going now, which proves my point about this thread.
>>
>>16097
Im proving my point, and all you can say is
"HURR DURR SHIT POSTERS AND HYPERBOLE", Its good to know that anything that contradicts your worldview is invalid.
>>
>>16098
You haven't proven anything other than you like to argue and insult people.
>>
>>16099
>"HURR DURR SHIT POSTERS AND HYPERBOLE"
Gotcha. Also I wasent the one that called you an idiot, but i do agree.
>>
>>16100
Honestly, it's embarrassing for a grown man to act like this.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170325-134752.png (968KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170325-134752.png
968KB, 1080x1920px
>>16084
>>
>>16101
see
>>16100
>>
>>16102
I'm not saying you're embarrassing because you think guns are better than bear spray, I'm saying you're embarrassing because you can't act like an adult when people don't agree with you.
>>
In fact this whole thread is embarrassing, I know /out/ is capable of so much better.
>>
>>16105
>>16104
>>16101
>>16099
>"I dont have any real arguments anymore so Im going to call everyone who disagrees with me embarrassing"
>>
>>16106
I'm past the arguing at this point, I'm not even an anti-gunfag, I'm just cringing at everybody in this thread and trying to get it to the bump limit so something better can take its place.
>>
Bump. There's a younger "perils of the wild" thread.
>>
>>15838
I don't know, autist with a keyboard, use google.
>>
>>15837
Get a Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag

or

Get a Ruger RedHawk in 44 mag or 45LC

PROFIT

Just look up the CA gun roster...have a cheap plano hard gun case and lock and transport said gun in the trunk and you are good...I think in some parts of Californian National parks they encourage you to carry a gun so you can open carry or have a pack gun.

silver lining is that we don't have extreme mag or caliber limits when hunting on BLM though yes, our state limit is ten round mags...tubes are exempt so lever actions or semi auto rimfires can have more than ten.

We have more BLM land where you can shoot anywhere and anything you want which is better than Texas.

Down side is that in the cities and suburbs you really can't advertise you are pro guns and have guns, it's definitely only for /out/ and /k/ types that can drive into the mountains or deserts to practice the shooting hobby.

But yeah, California's gun laws are gay.
>>
>>15858
Mountain Lions and Coyotes are more likely to attack you...even in some city areas near the hills.
>>
File: Office Worker.jpg (98KB, 514x806px) Image search: [Google]
Office Worker.jpg
98KB, 514x806px
>>15894
>>
>>15998
That's why you train.
>>
>>16003
Agreed a Henery All Weather in 45-70 is light and handy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abUQQYQuBcg
>>
>>16082
Dual wield faggot Bear spray in you off hand and a revolver in you strong hand.
>>
>>16059
>A 9 will take down a moose just fine, don't be a fucking retard.
Try 10mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h1XlsskYmY
Also large moose is fast and will fuck you up.
>>
>>16030
Your full of shit, I live near Duarte (the foothills of the mountains), Californians that aren't hipster faggot democrats love guns and we have two popular gun ranges near there and hiking trails where It feels like you stepped back in time because homeless people are panning for gold.

Little children getting attack by bobcats because they thought it was a kitty is rather common and coyotes do kill pets and small children in their very back yards and on the trail, you'd best be on alert if you hear a pack of coyotes howling.
>>
>>15837
OP you're pretty uniformed. "not allowed to have a gun"
?????????
also we only have black bears you fucking tard
>>
>>16117
A coyote has never been documented killing an adult human in the USA. Only 2 child has ever been killed, back in the 1980s.
>>
>>16119
That ONE child, not 2.
>>
>>16119
And how many nonlethal attacks happen? How many campsites get trashed? Any animal that has the capacity and opportunity to harm me or my stuff Im prepared for. Saying it barely ever happens, or it'll never happen again isn't an argument against being prepared.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Thread posts: 285
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.