[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should the public be able to walk on the shoreline along the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: shoreline-cr.jpg (706KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
shoreline-cr.jpg
706KB, 2560x1920px
Should the public be able to walk on the shoreline along the water anywhere or does private property ownership trump this right?
>>
>>622542
Ocean, absolutely, particularly below the high tide point

Lake, not so much
>>
>>622547

What about these lakes?
>>
>>622542
The states where I visit the beach all have this rule. It's typically a non-issue for private property owners since parking is always an issue and camping is against the law (outside specific designated zones).
>>
>>622542
pretty much every free state in the USA lets you walk the shorelines of even rivers. according to ancient law the water belongs to us all, only land can be owned.

in my opinion if you don't own the whole shore, it's fair game to anyone that got into the water legally. and ocean beaches should forever be free. one day i hope to own a beach house. but the beach itself should be free.
>>
>>622567
>in my opinion if you don't own the whole shore

What if the deed says that you own the shore to the water?
>>
>>622569
the water users have the right to acess the shore. not to camp or make a dwelling, but to have safe shelter.

if you own all the access to a river you should be able to restrict them. same thing with a lake or pond. but if it is a public river and some poor kayaker needs a break and puts in on your shore, you don't have the right to shoot him. take him a lemonade, tell him it gets better downstream, and let him get on his way.

as long as they aren't camping on your property fuck it, let them have fun.
>>
>>622572
>but if it is a public river and some poor kayaker needs a break and puts in on your shore, you don't have the right to shoot him

>not loosing the hounds

Eurokek detected
>>
>>622574
dogs love me. i would literally pet it to death.

my favorite breed is rotwielers. they are the most gentle dogs that exist. i have an ex gf that hates me, but every time i have ever gone to her house after the break up her rots are my best buddies.

loose your dogs all you want, bro. i will probably just become their best friend.
>>
>>622560
Up to the high tide line is protected under public trust. Anyone can walk there.
>>
>>622567

>every free state in the USA lets you walk the shorelines of even rivers.

Only if you're kayaking/canoeing/wading fishing and the river is too deep or obstructed to safely pass. Then you can venture onto private property to pass.
>>
>>622591
I forgot to say that I'm in Michigan and that's the law here. Not sure about other states but it seems like it wouldn't differ too much.
>>
>>622596
no that is the law in pretty much everywhere. if you need to access land you have the right to do so, but if it for lunch fuck you. that is how i see the law.
>>
>>622586
>Up to the high tide line is protected under public trust.

>public trust

Fuggin commies
>>
>>622542
I think private property ownership should allow you to restrict access to your property

It's not like there aren't a lot of public beaches already
>>
>>622586

On all lakes or just the great lakes?
>>
>cool
>>
>>622682
> high tide
> lakes
>>
>>622591
how would a river be too deep for kayaking or canoeing?
>>
>>622694
It wouldn't be. I think that part applies to wading.
>>
>>622688

All bodies of water experience tidal effects but its more noticeable in large bodies
>>
>>622567
It isnt just ancient law. Basically any navigable waterway in the U.S. can't be owned, but is under the jurisidiction of the Department of the Navy. (Navigable Waterway is defined as any lake or river which can be navigated by human powered craft. Most streams do NOT fit this definition) Unless the waterway is controlled by native tribes under treaty (though they still have to allow navigable access).

>>622569
Most states and the federal government mark an "high water mark" and you can only own up to that. Anything below that isn't your property. Usually the "high water mark" is also the flood stage mark.
>>
>>622735
Good post, but point if clarification.

Inland waterways are under the jurisdiction of the Coast Guard (DoHS, formerly DoT) not the Department of the Navy.
>>
>>622542
anyone should be able to go anywhere if they're not causing a problem in my opinion unless there is an inherent danger to safety. But that's not the world we live in. We have a lot of ranches out here by good fishing rivers and I love it when they leave signs up saying fish away but close the gate. But I understand the ones that have a problem with it too. Land owners don't need the extra trouble of cleaning up after people or dealing with damages.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1my1jn6QHzE
>>
>>622688
>>622703
the great lakes have noticeable tides.
t. someone who has lived 10min away from one for 23 years
>>
>>622735
>"high water mark"
It's 'Ordinary High Water' which is different from flood elevation (or the 100yr boundary used by FEMA). Floodways and Floodplains are exempt but there are restrictions on construction, they are still considered private property where applicable.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.