[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a sleeping pad. What should I get? Something that could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: closed-cell-sleeping_pad.gif (33KB, 416x215px) Image search: [Google]
closed-cell-sleeping_pad.gif
33KB, 416x215px
I need a sleeping pad. What should I get? Something that could be used for backpacking. Doesn't need to be ultralight.
>>
>>621829
Foam or inflatable?
>>
>>621834
Probably foam. I do a lot of desert camping and I have a feeling the first night out I'd pop an inflatable one. Am I underestimating the durability of them?
>>
>>621835
You're not likely to pop an inflatable pad unless you really abuse it. Mine's survived out it's time in Death Valley.
>>
Different anon, monitoring this thread. Had my eye on some alps brand inflatable I think? For about 45$. Completely clueless but a pad could be a great kit addition. Negative reviews about the pads tearing after a week scare me though.
>>
>>621835
Not really. I desert camp and I was all foam, Cascade Designs, until my first inflatable.

I love the Klymet XLite Recon for sul and the Klymet Inertia XL for lightweight full size.

The rolls to banana size, the second smaller than a 1 L.

But for less, never flat, light weight Cascade Designs!

That said, my Big Agnes insulated Q-Core is better than my bed! But the most $ of them all.
>>
>>621844
I'm actually looking at the Therm-A-Rest Ridge Rest, which I understand is made by Cascade Designs. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.
>>
File: IMG_20151031_153326.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151031_153326.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>621844
Ok, not smaller, but includes pump and patch kit.
>>
>>621845
I suggest the chair kit, if still available. Awesome addition! I have a couple of those too I had forgotten about. Picked up The Basecamp from a yardsale for like $10!

The Klymets are way lighter and the BA Q-core is WAY more plush!
>>
>>621853
Sorry, the Ridgerest is the foam pad I >>621844 first used.

Then upped to Thermarest inflatables w/chair kits.

Then the Klymets. Check the pack size against the Klymets, unless not important to you.
>>
>>621845
have you gone camping much before ? I have and use the ridgerest. Even if you wanna upgrade later its still good to have around the house / let a buddy use it for a trip.
>>
>>621858
Yep I've done quite a bit of camping, always without a pad.
>>
>>621858
Ditto. I will take a Ridgerest just for a trail seat on fractured desert varnished, Chuckwalla poop covered, prickly pear/Cholla needle covered rock just because it has the only shade!

Considering upgrading to a 24" x 12" gardening knee pad for seat and kneepad, though.

Unrolling the Ridgrest leaves a curly end from the middle (never bothered me).

The kneepad would deploy and stow easier.
>>
>>621866
Sounds cold as fuck, unless you only made it out in the summer.
>>
>>621858
I've been using my original thermarest since 1996. I've since upgraded to the neo air which is the best night sleep ever but will never get rid of the old one because its great for guests.
>>
>>621866
mostly late spring through fall. I'm in Southern California.
>>
>>621829
I use on of the foldable Bundeswehr pads. They are hard, but warm and they fold very nicely into a backpack.
>>
>>621829
I started off my outings with the mat in the pic, it will keep you warm, and 5$ its not bad start if your broksky. Its really just to keep some heat in though
>>
The new Marine corps ones fold up and aren't that bad if you can find them
>>
>>621829
If you want something cheap and effective, you can get a floor mat from harbor freight. Its essentially just a closed cell foam sleeping pad. It's a perfect length too. I have one and it works great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-roll-mat-61241.html

Its a bit thicker than whats in the picture.
>>
File: coyote_z-lite_folded_zoom.jpg (73KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
coyote_z-lite_folded_zoom.jpg
73KB, 800x533px
>>621999
like this?

nice trips
>>
>>621845

I have one and like it, but DESU I get a better night's sleep from one of those $10 blue pieces of foam at REI. Don't overthink it.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.