[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was the bigger /out/ faggot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

File: mccandless.jpg (215KB, 1239x437px) Image search: [Google]
mccandless.jpg
215KB, 1239x437px
Who was the bigger /out/ faggot?
>>
>>617608
Treadwell. Mcandless just got himself killed. Treadwell got his GF killed as well.
>>
>>617608
Treadwell. Mcandless just got himself killed. Treadwell got his GF killed as well. Also he did it all for notoriety and his stupid documentaries and it was all phony bullshit. McCandless may have been delusional but he did it for himself and we only know he existed because he died, not because he wanted to famous.

I still feel bad for both of them, but this is nature.
>>
>>617614
I don't feel bad, they both knew the risks they were taking.

They are both pretty based. I think bear dude had a mental disability though.
>>
>>617619
i think they were both somewhat delusional.
treadwell more so
>>
>>617643
he became an absolute nutjob. that doccumennary was quite alienating to watch.
>>
>>617619
>McCandless
>based
no

He was a dumbass who had no idea what he was doing. Just nastural selection that he died.
>>
>>617657
Agreed, McCandless was just a dreamy kid who got in over his head. It doesn't take any particular skill to hitchhike to AK, just determination. Getting up there and dying doesn't either.

Treadwell was closer to based, seeing as he actually survived several summers on his own. Nutty as a fruitcake though what with the baby talk to animals and having one sided conversations with them.
>>
>>617658
And touching the warm bear poop.
>>
>>617663
wut
>>
>>617608
Mcandless without a question. They're both fucking lunatics. Treadwell should have left when the getting was good and he knew shit was about to erupt. Mcandless should have stayed in california where he belonged, but I suppose at least his death resulted in a mildly interesting story. Treadwell could have actually made contributions to human knowledge.
Which do you think is more tragic?
>>
McCandless lived more in his short life than most people ever do.
>>
>>617658
I don't know about that. McCandless did OK on his Colorado River/Gulf of California canoe trip.
>>
>>617657
So much this
>>
>>617710
He didn't live much. He was depressed and freaked out about actual life coming closer each day. The whole buying a truck and running away was his way to vent, he died a useless and avoidable death.
>>
>>617686
He might've been checking whether it was fresh, and if the bear was still nearby. Or he just liked animal poop.
>>
>>617711
Well, he didn't starve to death there.

But the Colorado is not a difficult river in the fall when he floated it. I don't know where he put in but Gorges is the only really rough spot but as long as the flow is down it isn't all that technical.

Probably the length of the trip is what kept him from starving to death.

Consider that several times the guys ignorance caused him to stumble into serious danger: when that flash flood stranded his car; when he almost heat stroked out wandering the desert; when he got lost in Mexico; when he was caught in a storm floating the gulf in a canoe...etc etc. He likely would have died in AK sooner had a stranger not given him some supplied. Random people showing helping him through difficult situations, seemingly out of the blue, is a recurring theme for the guy.

He enjoyed a run of good fortune, he was not based. To be fair, Treadwell did too when it came to bears, but he when he went /out/ he prepared sensibly and had he not suffered a mental affliction that made him think dangerous animals had befriended him he would likely still be spending months at a time in the AK bush.
>>
Treadwell by far.
>>
>>617781
No. He was just crazy.

http://youtu.be/icUq7Hghsgc
>>
>>617781
When did this happen
>>
>>617804
>Consider that several times the guys ignorance caused him to stumble into serious danger:
True, but he did manage to live off the sea in Mexico, it's not like he hitchhiked straight from the suburbs to Alaska and promptly died. Treadwell killed his girlfriend with his stupidity.
>>
>>617886
No, Treadwell's girlfriend killed herself with her own stupidity. She willingly accompanied him on these expeditions and tried to stop the bear from eating him by pretending she was Wilma Flintstone and hitting it with a frying pan, getting herself killed too.
>>
>>617886
A bear killed Treadwell's girlfriend. She knew what she was getting into and where she was going....she'd seen it first hand many times.

Anyway there is no real point in trying to quantify which of them was the greater idiot. They were both delusional idiots.
>>
>>617658
>Treadwell was closer to based,
that's like choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.
Treadwell was a complete lunatic. half the time he thought he had become "friends" with the bears and they accepted him and he thought he was a bear. the rest of the time he acknowledged that bear would kill you in a heartbeat if you fucked up but still he convinced himself he had it all figured out ans he could live among them as a an adopted member of their family.
also he had to be sociopathic on top of delusional, as well as a liar. he was in a protected bear habitat whole time. the park maintain for the bears.
he claimed he was there to "protect endangered bears" or some shit. he caused more harm than good to the bear population .
In fact what he was doing was running away from his own fucked up life and his own twisted confused personality to hide in the woods and he fell into this deluded fantasy of being the jane goodall of bear country.
watch the documentary video that has a lot of his personal film footage including his aimless wandering personal expository monologues.
you can tell by listening to his ramblings that he was an angry, confused, mentally unbalanced and disturbed person.
>>
>>617832
ha ha yeah that clip. perfect example of what nutjob he was.
he like practically crying/laughing/elating and having an emotional religious experience over this bear poop.
"it came from inside her!"
"it was just inside her, it's still warm!"
"everything about them is just so perfect!"

It's like he thinks sees "god" and "all of the infinite perfect beauty" of the entire universe all in this pile of fresh bear poop

It's like he's on a permanent acid trip
>>
Test
>>
File: slideshow.jpg (85KB, 980x400px) Image search: [Google]
slideshow.jpg
85KB, 980x400px
Was he actually mentally retarded, though?

>going /out/ in Alaska without proper map or knowledge of area
>practically no time spent actually learning how to live in the wild, only what some midwestern farmer told him
>if he had a proper map, he would know of an old goods line over the swollen river
>living in a bus and not making proper shelter
>>
>>617658
Treadwell wasn't there to survive and brought in supplies. McCandless was living off the land, albeit, poorly in the end.
I'd rather have McCandless' legacy than Treadwell's. T-dawg was a total nut, McCandlebutt was just ill-prepared
>>
>>617608
Who are these people?
>>
>>617608
McCandless was the bigger faggot

fucking dying within months because you have a child's mentality of "fuck it, my willpower can take me through anything" and turning up to alaska without even a pair of rubber boots. The cult that he's left behind is the most queer thing I've ever seen.

Treadwell was the biggest /out/ asshole though. He made the decision to stick around for some fucking selfish reason when he knew his girlfriend is actually terrified of bears, and ended up getting not just himself but her killed too.
>>
"A video camera was recovered at the site which proved to have been operating during the attack, but police said that the six-minute tape was blank; only the sound of their agonized cries as a brown bear mauled the couple to death was recorded."

Now this is the stuff of nightmares.
>>
>>619788
Don't investigate into this further, for your own good.
>>
>>619788
who would even spend their time around grizzlies

literally go and play with much more friendly black bears who just want to come up your tree stand to sniff you and say hello before you scare their pussy asses away with a small cough
>>
>>617804
you have a lot of good points. With bears 99/100 encounters are without incident. Just takes that one. fall is not the time to be fucking around with them like treadwell did in hanging around there. In the end he didn't just get himself and his girlfriend killed he also got two bears killed. So even as a conservationist he failed.

I give McCandless credit because he was trying on some level to be prepared by bringing a book of plant life, thinking he had learned how to preserve meat, at least bringing a rifle and ammo and some meager amount of food with him. Treadwell didn't even have bear spray.

Either way both of these guys were clearly experiencing mental problems.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lCkFygaaQ

Listen at your own risk.
>>
>>619822
Seriously, don't listen to this. It's not worth it.
>>
>>619822
Damn, I was hoping you could hear her get it too
>>
>>619781
McCandless was a nut, too. He was never officially diagnosed, but a lot of descriptions of his behavior indicate was probably bi-polar and prone to euphoric and possibly delusional manic episodes.
>>
File: 1427885813096.jpg (3KB, 125x118px) Image search: [Google]
1427885813096.jpg
3KB, 125x118px
Shit. Listening to that was a mistake.
>>
>>619822
Quite scary.
Bears are scary motherfuckers, how people were dealing with them without guns?
>>
>>620422

Or even spray.

Are hippies against bear spray also?

To me its clearly the case of a delusional person that thinks bears are humans and thus friends.

You can never even really be sure with dogs, and dogs are pretty friendly and sociable with humans, so I can only imagine what this dumb guy thought about bears.
>>
>>619822
this is a known fake. the real tape has never been leaked or released.
>>
Where can I get a coat like the one McCandless is wearing
>>
>>619116
Yeah he was just a huge fucking idiot. But everyone shouts "MUH HERO"
>>
>>620422
I read on here that the Inuit would take a length of bone and cut out a long sliver, maybe 10-12 inches long and sharpen both ends. Then bend it into a circle and tie with rawhide. After this, seal blubber would be moulded around it into a ball, and left to freeze in the snow. Several balls of death would be made and scattered around where a problem bear was seen. The bear hoovers them up and the fat/rawhide is digested, causing the bone ring to open and the sharp ends to pierce the guts.
The bear dies and the people use the carcass once it's found.

This would take days to kill it though, not much good against a charging bear. Maybe a long long long sharpened stick spear, a la Anthony Hopkins in The Edge.

I have also always imagined a good aerosol and jet lighter would produce good results, will any animal charge a roaring fireball? Dangerous in the flammable woods though.
>>
>>620475
You made that up you faggot
>>
>>619822
This is laughably fake. I had known that it was fake before even watching it, but I didn't know it would be that obvious. How can some people believe this shit?
>>
>>620474
>everyone shouts "MUH HERO"
they most certainly do not. all i've ever seen is quite the opposite.
>>
>>619822
Who's got the rest of it?
>>
>>620474
you don't seem to know this board very well
>>
>>621778
Bumping
>>
>>619822
Fake and gay. The real audio has never been leaked online.
>>
>>617608
Can someone tell me the story of the guy on the left? I dont really know him since i always skip threads that are not gear related.

For what i understand he travelled out into the wild and died (starvation?). How can you die of starvation? cant you just go find somebody? (this is coming from a guy who lives in scandinavia where you can pretty much find people anywhere if you can hike for some days (no bully pls)
>>
>>624267
He shacked up in an old bus that was next to a river. When the rains started the river got bigger and faster and he THOUGHT he was cut off from the trail out.

However, he didn't realize that there was a hand powered cable car a few miles up stream that could have safely gotten across the river.

Also he didn't really die of starvation, but malnutrition. Or maybe poisoning, but that's pretty heavily disputed.

He also had behavioral problems, possibly bi-polar or schizophrenia, and was prone to making impulsive and poor decisions.
>>
>>624267
Oh, and he was in the Alaska, which is pretty sparsely populated.
>>
>>624276
>>624278

Ah ok thanks, so not just a simple starvation.
>>
File: awfstedrx.png (412KB, 342x505px) Image search: [Google]
awfstedrx.png
412KB, 342x505px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8MjDyfcMmU
>50 mins in
>tfw the tape will never be found
>>
File: Cheryl strayed.jpg (32KB, 680x437px) Image search: [Google]
Cheryl strayed.jpg
32KB, 680x437px
da worst

>she lived but I dislike her more than the other two combined
>>
>>624346
Yeah, he was trying to "live off the land" and all he brought with him was a .22 and a bag of rice.

He managed to kill a moose, which is kind of impressive, but he didn't know how to properly preserve it so most of it spoiled. After that he was trying to live off small game and wild plants so he wasn't getting enough carbohydrates, fats, salt or vitamins so he likely succumbed to what is colloquially referred to as "rabbit starvation" which is a combination calorie deficit, protein poisoning and malnutrition.
>>
>>624536
Why?
>>
>>624559
>her mom dies
>she becomes a heroin addict and cheats on her husband for some H
>hikes the PCT to "find herself"
>writes a memoir about the experience
>victim mentality throughout
>memoir gets turned into the movie Wild
>the entire movie is spent trying to get you to feel sorry for her and paints her as a victim
>she actually complains when Wild didn't get nominated for Best Picture

I didn't feel bad for her *because* she spent all her time trying to get me to feel bad for her.
>>
>>624582
Not the poster you are responding to and I'd like note I saw the movie but did not read the book. I never saw a victim mentality represented. She very clearly fucked up and very clearly knew it.
The only things I held against her that whole movie was the abuse of the horse and betraying her husband so thoroughly. I don't have any special attachment to horses but a letting an animal that depends on you get to that state of suffering is pretty bad.
I was really fucking pissed about that bow hunter though. I have no doubt there's filth like that out there but the hunters r evul trope is stale as fuck.
>>
>>624635
I saw the movie too and I felt like the filmmakers were really trying to make you feel bad for her. Maybe it's the typical 4chan edginess in me but it just had this undertone of 'special snowflake' all over it.
>my life is so much harder than yours
>I feel so bad for cheating on my husband
>I'm gonna sleep with this random guy while I'm on my hike

I don't know, man. Maybe it just wasn't for me.
>>
>>624642
624582 here
I never felt bad for her. In the movie at least she chose not to be some victim and strove to move on. You don't do something like that otherwise or you've never known a junkie. The flashbacks told you her story, in a way which I felt was fairly neutral, she was a piece of shit, maybe erring slightly on her side but still arguably shit. From what I gathered from the movie she felt bad she fucked up so thoroughly, in all respects, but not to the point she was a weeping modern piece of shit who continued to live that life, but chose to move on. She fucked up and she moved on because the only thing she could do otherwise was continue to be shit. Her discourse with her friend and ex supports this.
The random Portland guy was a very weird scene though, it struck me as both a call back and then a chosen disconnect from her way of former life. I guess she left and broke her cycle, instead of hooking up with someone for the scene and disassociation ad nauseam. That scene was more about her leaving her ex than anything else. It was very weird, and I think the character recognized the weirdness, without the drugs to hide it, it was painfully apparent.
>>
>>624700
I think the whole point with the random Portland guy was that she was actually attracted to him rather than just hooking up with some rando because she was high and feeling bad about herself.

Like they actually went on a date and had fun, it wasn't a desperate fuck in a dirty alley.
>>
>>624756
I thought the whole point with the random Portland guy was that she was attracted to him but then realized the morning after she was just repeating the same sequence and there weren't enough drugs happening to pollute the realization that it was just another meaningless hookup to make her feel better.
If you just want to sow seeds, but if you want to build a meaningful life, you can't live like that, which was what I felt was the point.
Honestly of all the things people on /out/ have objected with in regards to this movie, I'm fairly pissed it's not her pleb tier poetry selections, but she's a pleb ass junkie drop out, hard to blame her for that of all things I've let go.
>>
>>620471
wtc?
>>
>>619788
Treadwell was eaten alive. He did not die a slow death. His girlfriend paniced after hd was getting eaten and screamed like a distressed animal, causing the bear to come back and eat her as well
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.