[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning on doing a little EU at an old abandoned textile

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 22

I'm planning on doing a little EU at an old abandoned textile mill right outside of my college. This will be my first of this scale, so what things should I keep in mind while creeping around?

Location[ 44.8729178,-68.6739612 ]
>>
>>615757

Don't go alone.
Tell someone not going with you where you are going.
Bring the best filter mask you can afford.
Goggles.
Fully charged cell phone, (per person).
First aid kit.
Know how to use first aid kit.
Minimum of three light sources, preferably none involving open flame.
Carbon monoxide detector.

Optional, (arguably).
Crappy goodwill cloths you can throw away after, in case of contamination.
GPS, (if your phone doesn't have it).
Food and water for at least one day, in case you get stuck/lost.
Police scanner, and memorize the codes for things like "trespassers" and "break in".
Firearm.
>>
>firearm

while a little something to keep methheads and hobos away might come in handy, it also makes you max suspicious when the cops arrest you for breaking into that shithole.
>>
>>616003
Will probably turn misdemeanor trespassing into a felony.

Gun is probably not worth it. You're not Strelok in the zone, there are no bloodsuckers, leave the mak at home.
>>
File: mission_planning.jpg (2MB, 1822x873px) Image search: [Google]
mission_planning.jpg
2MB, 1822x873px
>>615757
What >>615989 said is mostly good
>three light sources
And backups. And backups for the backups.
Spare batteries. MORE spare batteries. Different brand spare batteries. Test them before you go in.
>carbon monoxide
unlikely in a factory with that many holes (well vented, ya know). probably overkill, but i wouldnt discard it if you happen to have one.
>filter mask
THIS. Asbestos is not fun, neither is mold.
>gps, scanner
overkill tbh, in that location at least. if you were in the middle of the desert, different story, but that place is literally 1k ft from the "main street" (whatever that means for a place called orono, maine)

personal experience.
dont bring anything that you dont want to possibly break/fall in the mud/loose/...
cheap ass camera maybe? def dont bring your $9001 DSLR...
spare batteries
spare memory chip for your camera (ask me how i know)
do mission planning.
maybe go there just to walk around it, or stop at the fence if there is one. look at the thing from a distance, you might notice something useful.
aerial recon. pic is related. combine overhead view and multiple angled views like your OP pic to figure out underbrush cover, entrances, etc. you'll need to do that for the back for yourself, rotate your view 180° and check the rear (marked with "?").
figure out ingress routes. pic related, but you might choose your own. dont go through swampy terrain unless you know what you're doing.
while in there, keep in mind where the nearest (or most convenient) is.

cont b/c character limit
>>
>>616008
>GET OUT OF HERE STALKER
I'd bring a NAA revolver or .380 pocket pistol just in case though, leg holster or somewhere inconspicuous (box of rasins, gut a small book and carry that in a external pocket)
>>
File: DSCI0744.jpg (5MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0744.jpg
5MB, 4000x3000px
>>616054
cont.:

if you meet hobos (and they dont seem overly threatening), dont immediately draw your firearm or knife or whatever. show both your hands, tell them you're just taking pictures, sorry to disturb you, i will leave now, stuff like that. you might've just woken them up (and to them, you're basically burglaring into their living room - thats pretty rude).
if they seem cool, a chat can always be nice - but dont trust them.
if things go out of control, book it. dont get stabbed or something. thats why you kept in mind the nearest best exit.

>cops get called
well fuck. in that place, if you hear them coming from a mile away, gtfo in the underbrush maybe. stfu and stay low and still, they might not bother. wait a couple of hours, then get out. dont go back in after something like this, thats just stupid.
DONT RUN FROM THE COPS if they see you. that will make you more suspicious.
if they see you, same as with the hobos, show BOTH your hands in a nonthreatening way (try not to get shot, you're in the US after all) (i hope for you you aint black) and tell them hey, you're just taking pictures. cite urbex codices like "break nothing but silence, take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints". show them the cool looking pictures you already took. try to seem harmless. thats why you dont want to dress like the strielok. pic is related. would you trust me like that?
DONT DELETE your pics when the cops show up. ESPECIALLY not when they tell you to. thats destroying evidence (of you trespassing). you dont want to do that because justice system.
dunno about the US, but over on our side of the big pond, cops wont exactly arrest you for urbexing (unless you set fire to the place or shit like that). they'll take your name maybe and tell you to gtfo outta there, because you might hurt yourself from falling debris or something. public safety is a big concern, ya know?
>>
>>616054
>while in there, keep in mind where the nearest (or most convenient) is.
there needs to be an "exit" somewhere in that sentence

>not proofreading
>2015
>>
>>616056
>would you trust me like that?
Well besides the greasy hair and the fingerless gloves, that dude looks cool as fuck. Trust is a strong word, but would have a small chat without any problem. Not op btw
>>
File: spoopy1.jpg (2MB, 1204x2346px) Image search: [Google]
spoopy1.jpg
2MB, 1204x2346px
>>616059
>that dude looks cool as fuck.
ty
>besides the greasy hair
wearing gas masks tends to result in that
>and the fingerless gloves
b-but muh tacticool
srsly, thats for (un)tying knots into 6mm ropes, cant do that with the gloves.

>why do you need ropes
in case we find holes in the ground which look promising and dont fancy jumping down (or worse, up) a 5+ft drop. pic related. can post details too
>>
>>616056
Awesome, this was very helpful to read. I've got all that gear around my house, now I just need to find them!
>>
>>616068
no problem.

maybe one more thing, inform yourself about your local legal situation. over here, its not trespassing if there's no fence around it and no "no trespassing" sign posted, so private security cant do jack about you except politely tell you to fuck off, and cops as i said will take your name but if you're not a dick you are not likely to even be processed.
but that might be different in maine, US of A. so go check that out.
>>
>>616067
All valid justifications. Would stalk around with/10
>>
File: DSCI0114.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0114.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>thread is still alive 2 days later
I'm not used to /out/'s bump "speed"

OP how did you do?
>>
File: DSCI0593.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0593.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
>>617389
>ana's butt because why not
>>
File: DSCI0583.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0583.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>617392
>weird steel doors and shit
>>
File: DSCI0589.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0589.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>617394
aaand funky lighting, for your pleasure
>>
oh shit anon, I've been in there before.

If you can find proof of my explorations in there post it here; shouldn't be hard to find, you are getting closer to it.
>>
>>617401
wait what
who you mean?
OP aka "Black Bear." or me aka Pjotr aka the guy with the pictures
>>
>>617403
thought OP was the guy posting the photos as he was wandering around,

the last photo posted is really close to where my buddies and I left our mark in there.

If you go have fun, and wear face protection.

You guys live in the area? I'm much further south but we should explore some places together, have a few I plan on hitting up in the next few weeks.
>>
>>616003
nah he won't look suspicious with a firearm, especially in Maine, we can conceal them without a permit now in this glorious state.
>>
>>617405
lol
ok to clear that up
>>616056
>>617397
>>617394
>>617392
>>617389
are western germany, not somewhere in maine.
compare to >>616067.
>>
>>617408
oh shit, well I looked at the last photo, and there is a room that looks just like that in the basement of this place
>>616054
the room looks almost identical, didn't really look at the other photos to be honest.
>>
>>616056
Where to get S10 gas mask for a good price STALKER?
>>
>>618063
Was ebay and 50€ for me.
Thats decent these days, I am told.
>>
File: gas masks (2).jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
gas masks (2).jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>618064
Shipping to the US is almost $40, fuck
Here's mine
>>
>>618066
Just bought a FM12 for $60
>>
>>615757
The Old Town mill should be abandoned soon too.
>>
>>617407
Hello Maine buddy!
>>
>>618293
Thats true! I'm excited for that. Gonna give it a few years to dilapidate first.
>>
>>618066
I got the one on far left £20 on amazon
>>
OP did you get eaten by skinwalkers? Post some pics from your successful mission in that mill
>>
UPDATE: Went on a scouting mission and found nothing that should impede a successful mission. Currently working on getting some palls together and collecting our gear. Will post pics soon.
>>
File: DSCI0282.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0282.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>621162
Great.

Have some more of my pics in the meantime.

>be us
>stalk to this house that apparently burned down a while ago
>find this box
wut

Took one of those as an artifact. Still got it
>>
File: DSCI0277.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0277.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>621207
burned shit is creepy yo
>>
File: DSCI0327.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0327.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>621208
>art
>>
File: DSCI0329.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0329.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>621212
finding old documents
it reads "railway timetables 360"
"valid from jan 2nd, 1996"
I'm guessing the "360" means its valid for that number of days (i.e. basically all of '96)

>this booklet is older than the average 4chan user
>>
File: DSCI0335.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0335.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>621214
contents are cryptic though
>>
File: DSCI0341.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0341.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>621215
and then this pile in the (semi) basement of the place
>containers labeled "flammable liquid"
>kick some
>thunk, slosh, slosh
>uh
>>
File: DSCI0349.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0349.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>621216
>She was never free!
damnit grafitti

also
>dropping my name
derp
>>
File: DSCI0822.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0822.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>keeping the thread alive

we found a piano in a basement once
they mustve built the walls around this thing, because theres no way this fit through the door.
also, the room was pitch black (because basement). I'm pretty proud of this long exposure shot, or rather guess-exposure - as hinted before, I got a $50 drop-in-mud-and-dont-care auto pocket digicam with basically no controls whatsoever, but I figured out it defaults to long exposure in dark rooms. so i put it on a tripod worth almost as much as the camera itself, point my 300 lumen flashlight at the ceiling, and hope for the best. works ok suprisingly often...
>>
File: DSCI0824.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0824.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>622403
detail
>>
File: DSCI0821.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0821.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>622404
have a webm with sound of the piano:
>http://webms. org/w/t3DYy4KY/

also typewriter, because bureaucracy rulez.
>>
>>622408
webm link returns nothing
>>
File: DSCI0632.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0632.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>622575
works for me.
huh.
try this >>>/wsg/812441, dont know how long that thread will stay up though
eh its been alive 23 days itll probably be fine

pic unrelated, random from my urbex folder
>>
File: DSCI0666.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0666.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>622595
>managed to not fuck up the link
eff yea.

dont forget to turn on the sound, thats most of the fun
>>
>>622599
It worked, and damn, thats creepy. Thanks Pjotr
>>
>>622602
np

It wasnt exactly creepy (apart from the whole "abandonned place" and "how the f did they get this in here"), we were more kinda puzzled. I mean, those things are expensive, right? You don't leave those behind to rot...

Also shows more realistically how the lighting situation was - the pics make it look much brighter than it actually was.
>>
>>615757
>a little EU
EU? Exploration Urbaine?
>>
UPDATE #2: I'm planning on going home to get the rest of my gear together this weekend. This process is taking longer than I had expected. If this post 404s, just look for my BlackBear tag, and I'll be posting pics in the new thread hopefully next week.
>>
Will bump with Dawson Forest pics when I get home. I dug out the tunnel
>>
>>624293
>I dug out the tunnel
even more than the thread on /k/?
dayum brother nice work
>>
>>624303
No, that was me
>>
File: IMG_4824.jpg (35KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4824.jpg
35KB, 480x640px
>>624306
>>
>>624306
sometimes I think IDs would be a good idea
not trips, just IDs.

moot bring back IDs pls!
>>
>>616055
why "gut a small book* what for?
>>
>>624652
to carry the gun in
doh
>>
>>624347
ID's change with ips though
>>
>>624977
yea. so about daily for me.
would make it much easier to follow a conversation, especially on the more "hectic" boards, where the 10-second update interval sometimes means 20 or more new posts
having to start posts with "I was the one you replied to" or the like just kinda sucks tbch
>>
Bringing "gear" with you is a great way to get charged with b&e + possession of burglar's tools (or similar law your state has). Don't need anything besides a camera and a flashlight.
>>
inb4:
its early in the morning and i havent slept well. this makes me overly sarcastic. bear with me.

>>625094
>burglar's tools

>inna abandoned mill
>wearing goggles/filter mask/gas mask against asbestos/mold/dust/whatever toxines your state uses when building industrial buildings
>having a throwaway cellphone
>camera
>tripod for said camera
>big flashlight
>spare batteries
>spare flashlight
>spare batteries for spare flashlight
>spare batteries for your camera
>spare batteries for your tripod
>map/aerial pics of the area
>first aid
>water, lots of water
>pmr radios maybe
>spare batteries for your radios
>some length of rope
>spare batteries for your rope
>backpack to carry all this shit
>maybe a chestrig to carry items you want to reach quickly on your (doh) chest
jup those are definitely burglars' tools
i bet theres a great deal of stuff to steal in that abandoned mill
like, moldy rocks and stuff

also, what kind of crime is "possession of burglar's tools"
>owning a crowbar
>or an axe
>wd40 surely
>ski mask
>big sack with $-sign to stash the loot in
those are what I would consider "burglars' tools
I own literally all of those items. Have I committed a crime now? Does it make me a burglar?

Must be a great free state you live in...
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.