[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mountain Lion Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 27

Has anybody on /out/ been stalked by a mountain lion?

Had a close call?

Seen a mountain lion?

Share your stories
>>
>>607293
Been hiking and camping shitloads my entire life all over Montana/Washington/Wyoming and have never seen anything more than tracks. Motherfuckers stay out of sight. Completely alright with me.

>not referring to them as cougars

half the syllables m8
>>
I was just south of big sur. A guy i met on the bus out there said he would show me a cool spot. I didnt like it and wanted to sleep on the beach. I figured the beach was just over the ridge so i keep hiking. The trail keeps switching back and the sun is getting low so i cut through an opening that appears to lead to the ridge. I end up in someones back yard. Oops. I keep going...another persons back yard, then another, then another, and another. The sun is now setting and i'm not walking at night. I find myself in an open area between somebody's property and a group of rv campers on a private road. Im trying to keep a low profile. It's not ideal, but it will have to do. As it starts to get dark a deer/antelope(idk the species, it pranced) appeared and i had a stare down with it for 30 minutes. I had been crouched and it started to come over to me so i popped up and it pranced away. It's now getting dark so i roll up in my tarp and drift into a state of half sleep. Some hours pass and for some reason im suddenly awake. I'm listening to the sounds of the night. It's really quiet, but i hear something up at the top of the ridge, slowly coming down. A few steps then silence. A few steps then silence. This happens over a course of five minutes. Whatever it is, is trying to be stealthy. A stick breaks. At this point i start my blood starts pumping. I am wrapped up completely in my tarp and cant see anything anyways because its a full moon. I just wait. It keeps creeping closer and closer. I hear it over in this thicket of redwoods maybe 25 feet away and i decide it's now or never. I pop up suddenly with my tarp held high in my left hand and grab my bike tire which is right next to me and say slowly " i hear you". It is pitch black in the thicket and whatever it is has not moved a muscle. It is sitting there, staring at me. I take an aggressive posture and bang the bike tire on the ground, acting as if i am going to charge it. It stays silent and doesnt move at all.
>>
>>607306
Contd.

I keep banging the tire and throw some sticks over towards it, it stays motionless and silent. I slowly back down the slope to the private road near the rv campers and spend the next two hours with my back to a tree. Whatever it was didnt follow me. It was big enough to crack a stick and it didnt run when i popped up. I am almost positive it was a mountain lion. Either that or a human, but i really dont think a human would have tried to sneak up on me like that because i was practically invisible from where it came down from. I have been paranoid of mountain lions ever since
>>
>>607306
I meant new moon, not full moon. Oops
>>
>>607312
I was gonna say "it's easier to see in a full moon lol"
>>
>>607293
I was on a ten day hike through the Rockys in NM, and had a sister group that was a day ahead of us. One of their guys thought it was a good idea to wander off to take a piss. He climbs part way down a ravine, starts doing his thing. Mountain lion starts stalking towards him from other side of ravine. Guy quickly walks back up and starts to try to get away but the mountain lion follows him. He gets to an area that has waist high grass, still being followed by the mountain lion. At this point he was about half mile from the nearest trail. The lion almost makes it to the grass when the guy scares a rabbit from the grass. The mountain lion takes off after the rabbit and the idiot pisser books it in a random direction. He hits a trail and heads back to the group
>>
I've hiked and camped all over Vancouver island, which has the highest concentration of em, and I've never seen one. Still scared tho
>>
>>607529
How far do you need to go to piss really?
>>
>>607533
But rest assured, they've seen you. Plenty of times.
>>
I'm in central Ontario. I thought I saw one in the queen elizabeth II wildlands about 5 years ago.
I was sitting on one of the lakes, in a small canoe. Just fishing away the weekend, and I saw some sort of tan animal walking along the shoreline, it had a long tail with a dark brown tip.

I think it was only a year ago that the MNR actually said that there are in fact mountain lions in Ontario. Idk though. Plenty of bobcats however.
>>
Once, while in the truck with my dad going down the highway we THINK we saw just the movement and the tail slipping back into the woods on the side of the road.

Only time I know I saw one for sure was when I was out on the four wheeler (spraying noxious weeds) and came up to a big open meadow that is at the bottom of a hill that is bare on the lower bit but turns into timber partway up. It had apparently been down in the meadow, maybe getting a drink from a creek that's on the edge. Anyway, as soon as I come tearing down the road I just see it bolt for the hill and watch it running up into the trees. Pretty cool thing to see, fuckers are fast.
>>
I've never seen a mountain lion irl but I have been told many times that if you are in their habitat they have seen you
>>
>>607604
How the hell is that reassuring?!
>>
>>607293
A cub almost fully grown jumped out of a bush on me trying its luck to I put an axe through its skull
>>
>>607692
>things that never happened
>>
>>607310

Cats don't "crack a stick".
>>
File: mountain lion.jpg (416KB, 640x458px) Image search: [Google]
mountain lion.jpg
416KB, 640x458px
>>607683
>>
File: wildlife_photo_mountain_lion.jpg (154KB, 1000x952px) Image search: [Google]
wildlife_photo_mountain_lion.jpg
154KB, 1000x952px
Mountain lions are the comfiest looking of all large predators.They are the largest of the "small cat" clade, more closely related to the lolcat than to the lion. You should feel privileged to share the outdoors with such a magnificent beast and blessed to provide sustenance should the worst happen.
>>
File: bobcat-in-snow-jerry-fornarotto.jpg (111KB, 900x629px) Image search: [Google]
bobcat-in-snow-jerry-fornarotto.jpg
111KB, 900x629px
>>607741
>comfiest looking of all large predators
negro do you even bobcat? i mean c'mon

>related to the lolcat
kek, you got me there
>>
>>607746

Bobcat's are nice, but mountain lions are incredibly beautiful. They are all small cats though and cannot roar.
>>
I have a story that isn't too exciting, but it is true.

I was up at the cabin with my dog, and it was about 10 pm and I decided to go for a drive to see some wildlife. I opened the door and my dog ran out to the truck (she ran off to the right of the deck). I saw something run off from the left of the deck, but I didn't think much of it. I got her in the truck and backed up to turn around. Suddenly, the headlights shined a mid-sized mountain lion, which must have circled around the cabin quickly to get away. So if my dog ran left, I would have been obligated to kill the mountain lion with my knife/be killed in the process.

Either way it was pretty cool because it was the only time in my life I've seen one and not many people do.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZxX2jgkEUs

:3 <3
>>
I want a pet one so it can sleep on my bed with me and share food and stuff.
>>
>>607734
That fuckers blended in well, dang
>>
>>607765

It's not even hiding.
>>
>>607733
So you're telling me a 100+ pound cat has never cracked a stick while walking around in their 100+ square mile range? Bullshit
>>
>>607293
A forest preserve near my house had a cougar sighting last year. It's just some shitty suburban county preserve, but now I'm always paranoid when I go for runs through there.
>>
File: DSC_4012_-L.jpg (30KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4012_-L.jpg
30KB, 800x533px
>Exactly a year ago ... (weird)
>Full moon
>fuckyeahdirtbike.exe
>ridin innawoods... ~10 miles from the nearest pavement, 2-3 miles from the nearest road
>Park the bike on a big rock feature, set the camera up and start taking pics
>Been quiet for a while, just click-click from the camera/tripod and my squeaky moto boots
>hear rustling at the treeline
>flashlight on turbo mode, scan the area, see nothing, no eye shine like coyote/fox/skunk/bear
>back to the camera
>hear twig snap, more rustling, see tree shake against the sky just as I glance over
>somethingswatchingme.h
>flashlight on, scan area, still see nothing
>decide I've got enough pics tonight
>pack up camera gear, pull on helmet, fire up the bike
>use moto headlight to illuminate the area, still see nothing
>ride home

Can't say for sure, but i'd bet it was a cat. None of the other animals I see out there behave like that, and I usually see the foxes/yotes/porcupine/skunks/deer/elk/bears if they're around.
>>
>>607708
Hahaha
>>
>>607777
Nope. The most you'll ever hear is leaves rustling.
>>
>>607841
Yeah, right. What, are you a biologist who's spent hours in the field? If you think a big cat has never snapped a stick, you are eithervtrolling or stupid.
>>
>>607746
I want to hug him and give him an egg
>>
>>607957
you make sure you boil that egg
>>
>>607293
I only spotted one once. was fishing up in the mountains until dark at a large lake. Finish up and start driving home after dark. On the way out I came very close to hitting a bear that darted across the highway. I think it was a black bear because it seemed small and I didn't see it til the last second. The grizzlies out there are huge and I have had them try to sneak up on my while fishing. Anyway drive the 1.5 hours back to the city. It's exactly midnight now and the steets are empty. Driving a road along the river and on the bike trail I see a small mountain lion casually walking the trail in the opposite direction. Got home, called the cops to let them know but they couldn't find it. Wildlife called the next day to get info. I think they were skeptical. Funny thing was I was earlier in the week I was at this park nearby with this pond. Lots of foliage around and at this one bush I got really nervous for some reason. It was just really dense there and I felt like there was something there.
>TFW there's something out there and it ain't no man
>>
>>607293
never seen one
i would give good money for a close encounter
sadly lions didn't give a shit about me maybe i met them at a wrong time
a tiger tried to "hunt" me down once but we had bars between us and he got pretty upset that i spotted him and ruined his game
>>
>>607293
Nothing for me personally yet, but heard some guys talking at an outdoors store.

>dusk
>be deer hunting along the edge of a redwood forest
>trying out new deer scents on my cloths
>see kitty cat running on a log towards me
>awhowcute.jpg
>oh shit that's a huge redwood log
>oh shit that's not a house cat

That's all I got of the story, take it for how you want it.
>>
File: 1372525084897.gif (288KB, 292x256px) Image search: [Google]
1372525084897.gif
288KB, 292x256px
Why yes, I've been stalked by a cougar on several occasions.
>>
>>608235
you've probably been stalked by a few bears too but weren't receptive to it at the time.
>>
My closest was chasing a bobcat on my bicycle until it was done with my shit, stopped, sided towards me, and I turned around.
So I don't have any real story.
>>
>>607293
I got surrounded by a pack of them while I was backpacking in Wyoming. I challenged their leader to 1v1 me irl. One body slam later I became their king.
>>
>>607734
Shit, took me a second.
>>
>>607817
>hear a twig snap and rustling

nigga if you were being watched by a cat, you wouldn't have even heard it

big cats are no fucking joke
>>
>>608555
house cats are even more quiet
yet i can tell if a house cat is in the same room as me
i just feel their presence even if they hide and don't move
me and a cat had played this game for years, the cat wasn't allowed in my room but it always snuck in and hid
if i didn't found it then it would attack me in my sleep
you could say i was trained by a cat ninja from child
i wonder if it would work the same with a big cat
>>
>>608566
Sounds like a pink panther type of thing
>>
File: cougar.jpg (30KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
cougar.jpg
30KB, 620x413px
There was a cougar sighting on my college campus on Friday.

Pic related happened last monday in a city-centre community close to where I live. Surprised everyone.
>>
In a suburb about twenty years ago in colorado me and a friend of mine walked way out to this big ass hill and I somehow walked right up to a bobcat and turned right around and walked away.
>>
>>607756

They are so beautiful what sort of faggot would want to kill one? ;_;
>>
>>607844

You don't know shit dumbass. Enjoy getting eaten by mountain lions.
>>
>>608039
>ruined his game

Poor kitty he just wanna rip ur throat out and drink ur bloods. :'3
>>
>>608554
>a second

That's all it takes for you to die.
>>
>>608566

Housecats are skilled but they don't have hunting skills honed by a lifetime of life and death, hunting animals with radar ears, full-field vision and super smell. For the wild cat, being detected means going hungry at best, or being killed at worst.

An interesting theory about leopards is that they co-evolved as a predator for humans, and their size and strength, combined with many fossil finds supports this.
>>
>>609090
our housecats are semi feral tho they used to go out to hunt every night but traffic increased and one after the other got hit by car so we don't let them out anymore.
they mostly got birds and mouse and sometimes lizards but i tell you they are natural born killers all of them even the small fluffy ones. they pretty much kill everything that moves and smaller than them just for fun.
>>
>>609082
Thanks for proving me wrong with all those facts, mr.biologist. care to share your cougar stories?
>>
>>609090
>super smell

No. You're thinking of bears. Mountain lions have really good night vision and hearing, but their sense of smell is comparatively weak.
>>
>>609121

I was talking about their prey.
>>
>>607734
Those are some stealthy niggers
>>
>>607734
where's the mountain lion in this? I can't spot it.
>>
>>609225
There isn't one. That's the joke.
>>
>>609226
Oh, I was looking at it for like 5 minutes trying to find it. I thought I was retarded when other anons said it took a second to find it.
>>
File: image.jpg (462KB, 640x458px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
462KB, 640x458px
>>609230
>>
>>607817
>None of the other animals I see out there behave like that
It was a squatch.
>>
>>609230
i spotted it faster than most people blink, you shouldn't go near live cougars
>>
>>609325
>>609232

holy shit, so there was actually a lion in the picture? Damn, I am blind.
>>
>>609325
>nothing personnel
>>
This>>607529
>10 day hike
>Rockies
>New Mexico
Philmont?
>>
I remember we had to do indoor recess from time to time because cougars or bears were sighted around campus.
>>
Never seen one, only tracks.
>>
>>607746
If that motherfucker came mewing at my door i'd give it a steak and a massive cardboard box.
>>
>>609807
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u40UhoSPegQ

:3
>>
>>609836

Christ look how big those fuckers are! That cat could easily kill that rottweiler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDZk9ihYJyo
>>
>>609836
same with a cougar?
>>
>>609807
and an egg
>>
>tfw no mountain lion to cuddle with on cold nights
>>
>>609838
Eh, dunno.
Coyotes eat bobcats.
>>
>>609928
yeah but they hunt in packs and cooperate and junk.
>>
>>609926
yeah i can see it happen tho
>out there cold in my shelter
>curious mountain lion sneaks in
>sniffs my face it's warm breath melts the tins ice crystals on my skin
>grab it turn it around wrap it in the blanket so it can't escape
>snuggle the shit out of it
>>
File: geeps.png (10KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10KB, 261x195px
>>609938
i suspect your delicious fleshes and lifeblood are of more value to a mountian lion in winter than your cuttles anon
>>
>>609941
i can overpower cats pretty well i used to sleep with cats when child they always tried to escape or scratch me, but it was snuggle time
>>
File: rec.gif (499KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
rec.gif
499KB, 500x294px
>>609971
>cat's face when
>>
File: nooooooidontwanto.jpg (80KB, 451x604px) Image search: [Google]
nooooooidontwanto.jpg
80KB, 451x604px
>>609981
after a while it was more like this
>>
>>609941

:3'
>>
>>609984

:'3
>>
File: 1443653932001.png (464KB, 481x518px) Image search: [Google]
1443653932001.png
464KB, 481x518px
>hiking
>hear some rustling in the bushed 150ft away from me
>mtn lion casually walks out and aproaches me
>stopped 40 ft away from me plopped down and just stared at me
>Flip it off and walk backwards several yards and get the fuck out of there
I had a sneaking suspicion that it was hand raised or something because it was really bizarre seeing one walk up to a person like that. Reported it to the rangers just encase.
>>
>>610196
You're lucky they don't hunt in pairs. The second one would have been around your head before you knew what happened.
>>
I wish there was a breeding population of these fuckers in the American Southwest.
>>
File: image.jpg (793KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
793KB, 1200x801px
>>610208

Forgot pic
>>
File: malecougarwrtw.jpg (350KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
malecougarwrtw.jpg
350KB, 800x599px
>go to uh
>our mascot is the cougars
>have cougar statues on campus
>always assume they are life-size
>find out later the statues are grossly over-sized
>feel stupid
>>
>>607692
>needing a hatchet
Just bodyslam it.
>>
Silver Reef Utah couple years back, hunting for snakes and rabbits in the hills. Rounds tracks and followed them for a bit. They started circling back towards where my truck was parked about two miles away. I got a itch between my shoulders about five minutes later I turned and saw a large Cougar looking at me about thirty yards away. I raised my rifle and we looked at each other for a short bit before I backed away and went back to the truck.
>>
I live in the Midwest, so no mountain lion encounters for me. But, one of my co-workers was stalked by one last year while elk hunting in Wyoming. He shot an elk late in the afternoon but it didn't go down right away, so him and his brother had to find it. They find it just after dark and snap a quick pick of him holding up the antlers before they process it to carry it back. They get it back to the cabin they're at and go to post the picture on facebook or some shit. Behind my coworker is a mountain lion, eyes shining, completely lit up by the flash. It was within 20 feet of him and they had no idea. Spoopy pic when he showed me.
>>
>>609438
/asp/ pls leave
>>
>>610319
Yeah bullshit. That story has been around since 2008 and it was photoshopped
>>
>>610319
I know the pic you're talking about. It's a confirmed fake, just like your bullshit story.
>>
>>607306
>>607310
Shit man, that's spooky.

I dated a girl who worked at a big cat refuge. They always said the cougars were the crazy ones. Would go absolutely apeshit when fed, way moreso than the tigers or lions. I really, really hope to never encounter one in the wild from anything other than binocular distance.
>>
File: 262667692_5ab2a6da08.jpg (109KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
262667692_5ab2a6da08.jpg
109KB, 500x376px
>>610328
They'll see you before you see them
>>
>>609905
You better boil that egg
>>
>>610335
of course i'd boil the egg first you think i'd make him try and eat a raw egg anon? do you?
>>
My family keeps chickens, and at this particular time, I think we had 4 or 5 in our enclosure. It was late afternoon, probably around 4, and my dad was going to feed them and put them up for the night. As he walks to the coop, he sees a cougar on the edge of the small field our coop is next to. Fucker is just watching him. I should mention that we've had some wings get ripped through the fence from (probably) cougars, so this isn't an out-of-the-ordinary sight. My dad stops the second he sees the cat and they have a stare down for a few moments. Cougar gives no shits. My dad starts yelling and waving his arms, cougar still can't give a single fuck. Eventually, my dad reaches down and grabs some rocks and shit from the dirt and throws them at it.
>fiteme1v1fgtillrecku.gif
Cougar is unimpressed and would have probably yawned if it was a people. Now, my dad is kinda shitting. Not only does he not wanna get fucked by this cat, but he's got kids and animals and shit to protect, so he's trying to scare the thing off, hoping it'll fuck off forever. He grabs a sizeable stick and hurls it at the cougar. It lands like, 6 inches from its face and kicks up a bunch of dust right into its eyes. At this point the cat is surprised and takes a few steps back. Eventually it slinks off into the brush, watching my dad the whole time. I was always paranoid feeding the chickens after that.
>>
File: Cougar.jpg (45KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
Cougar.jpg
45KB, 400x293px
> sexy
>>
>>610359
Uh... Wow... H... Hi...
>>
>>610359
dat eyeliner
>>
>>610363
>>610370
Redmayne pls go.
>>
>>610374
God damn it. How did you know?
>>
>>610376
memes tbh
>>
>>610328
it's true they have a unique focus when hunting
much like pitbulls they shit on pain just try to take you apart no matter how you fight
once they set on a target not much can stop them that's why it's bad news to trigger their predatory instinct and that is why you should have a knife and watch your neck if the cougar can't kill you at first ambush you have good chances to kill it if armed
tldr kitty is cute but no reasoning with it if kill-mode engaged
>>
theres seems to be a new population of lynx near me, after many decades of no settlement

i want to try to get one in front of the camera, but i really doubt it
>>
Always check behind you every few minutes...
Especially if you have a dog that a Mountain Lion will see as an easy target.
>>
File: MountainLion.jpg (68KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
MountainLion.jpg
68KB, 1000x1000px
>>610459
>>
>>610460
that's a german shepherd dude
>>
>live in New Zealand
>nothing predates on humans

Threads like these make me happy I live here...
>>
>>609905
What's this egg shit? I'm new here.
>>
>>610488
Lucky. I have to deal with...

Cougars
Bears
Tarantulas
Wasps the length of your hand that kill the tarantulas
Rattlesnakes
Scorpions
Lizards that violently eject caustic blood from their eyes
Coyotes
If reports are to be believed possible Jaguars but this was their home range before Humans drove them south into Mexico
Chiggers
Giant fucking Golden Eagles
And venomous mice
>>
>>610497
>Chiggers
the worst!
i would be glad to be neighbors with jaguars tho
>>
>>610488
Be thankful that the Maori wiped out the moas. Otherwise, the Haast eagles would still carry off kids to their nests.
>>
i once got attacked by a bunch of ibex
>>
>>610205
I would have seduced both of them and create a hybrid cat person.
>>
>>608566
One could also say that you are a fucking faggot
>>
>>610829
one could also say that you are a faggot whisperer
>>
>>610219
ayyee coog here.

what are some /out/ places here in Houston?
>>
File: Bobcat 2.jpg (586KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Bobcat 2.jpg
586KB, 2048x1536px
>>610450
winter is the best time to capture felines on trail cams if you have one. I took this pic 1 winter ago in some woods above my house after I saw it hunting and then kept seeing it's trail.
>>
>>610490
Seconding. I haven't seen this meme yet.
>>
>>610316
Why not both?
>>
File: 1391439506767.jpg (239KB, 970x1139px) Image search: [Google]
1391439506767.jpg
239KB, 970x1139px
>>610490
>>611526
some thread on /b/ awhile back. it had a girl passed out on a park bench in her panties, and OP was asking what anons would do if they found this girl. One guy said he'd take her
>you know what nevermind i found the screencap
>>
>>610490
>>611526

If I remember correctly it started in a thread where an anon was wondering if it was ok to set food on a little stump in the woods behind his house to feed the wildlife. His defense was that he's not hand feeding them so they're not associating humans with food. Food just magically appears on a stump and they eat it. Anons who supported him saud that they feed wildlife eggs, specifically hardboiled. Turns out most of them European, mostly Swedish, Norwegian or Finnish.

It's a lightly used meme that is enjoyable and not oppressive.
>>
>>607293
Would squeeze :3
>>
>>610359
I think I understand what furries see now.
>>
>>610500
I dunno, there are some wedgetails around our farm that would love to pinch a toddler.
>>
>>611596
That's adorable.
>>
>>609488
I'm not him, but I heard some mountain lion stories while at Philmont. While we were at Urraca Mesa they said they were having some trouble out of a mother lion and her cubs getting a little too close to the hikers. They warned us not to get up to piss at night. Apparently, she began stalking a group as they gathered around for that nightly ghost story thing they do, and a few of the guys had to chase her off with a guitar. Shit had me freaked out the entire time I was there.
>>
>>609081
So because pretty you shouldn't hunt it? What a faggot. Cougar meat is amazing.
>>
>>607293
>this thread
>being scared of cougars

Nigga, I'm more concerned about being inured or killed by a moose and even bears are a distant second.

Cougars are awesome though.
>>
>>609971
Okay, now imagine it was a pitbull with a cat's reflexes and climbing capacity.
>>
>>612536
Bears are easy to scare away and will run if they hear you coming. Cougars will hide then follow you.
>>
>>612540
no problems
i wouldn't mess with any animal my weight or more, but under it's no big deal.
>>
>>612690
Nigger, please.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America
>>
i was actually mauled to death
>>
File: 1361855793094.jpg (863KB, 1800x1205px) Image search: [Google]
1361855793094.jpg
863KB, 1800x1205px
I want to go innawoods solo, but fear of cougars is keeping me from going. Any advice?
>>
>>612730
Keep a pistol at your side (if you legally can).
>>
>>612731
Can't due to being Canadian.
>>
>>612736
Big knife? Or a rifle, or is that illegal too? What even are the specific gun laws in Canada?
>>
>>612690
worst thing about cougar is sometimes the first attack is surprise and lethal they go for spine and back of head insta kill if successful
if first attack is not lethal grown men especially if armed usually get away children and elderly still in danger.
>>
>>612738
have big knife, would rather not tussle with a big cat though. Gun laws are meh. Getting my Possession and Acquisition license. With that I may be able to carry a rifle/shotgun with me. Will look into this more though. I was thinking of wearing a mask on the back of my head like people in Bengal do to ward off tigers.
>>
>>612730
1) don't be a pussy
2) buy a firearm
3) train with said firearm
4) murder large wild cats if they attack you which they won't do anyway
>>
>>612740
Huh. Backfacemask is gonna make you look like a crazy, but I assume that's of no consequence. To steal from some anon's post up there,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

I wouldn't be too worried about cats.
>>
>>612741
if they attack you it will be an ambush 90% of the time basically they hit you before you know what's up 5% of those attacks are instant death
>>
>>612741
You're better off with a hatchet than a gun, pussy.
>>
>>612742
woah, those stats make me feel better. I havent read the whole thread, but isnt the idea that if you come across one you gotta out-intimidate it or scare it?
>>
>>612744
bad move in a tussle
knife or dagger is best truly when tangled
>>
>>612748
basically if their hunting instinct is triggered you not gonna dissuade them nicely
they gonna come at you like a pitbull on pcp
if they are hesitant or curious you can intimidate the fuck out of them by simply appear big
>>
>>612748
Basically. Get big, shout, throw things, etc. I bet there's videos on fighting them out there.

BUT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

There's the caveat.
>>
>>612744
Are you 13 years old?
>>
>>612751
>>612752
thanks for the info gents. For whatever reason im not too worried about bears.
>>
>>612755
depends on the type of bear
you should be more afraid of grizzlies than just about anything
things that are even more fucked up than grizzlies include polar bears and moose
fortunately grizzlies rarely try to predate on humans and like to be left alone but very bad news if they come at you
>>
I spend lots of time /out/ in Montana and Idaho. I've encountered tons of black bears and grizzlies, seen lynx, wolves, and even a couple wolverines.

I've never seen a mountain lion. They keep to themselves.
>>
>>612730
the odds of you even running into a large predator in north america are astronomical unless you live in alaska or montana or something, and even if you do happen to bumble into one, the odds of it not running directly away from you as fast as it can are once again, astronomical.
>>
>>612730
bring dogs they distract the shit out of wild life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn-7nbU9xho
>>
>>611591
Post the picture.
>>
>>612769
they probably saw you a lot tho sneaky little niggers most likely staked you a couple of times
>>
Me and a couple buddies were out one night hiking around a large hill (as close to a mountain as hill country TX gets) that was out on one of the guys' land. We dropped our backpacks at the foot of the hill to walk up to the top to check everything out. It was dark by the time we started back down. While at the top we had heard some hogs out somewhere in the brush and a large cat scream sometime later. We weren't too worried at the time, we were armed in case we ran into any hogs and we all had fresh flashlights, so we thought we could scare off a mountain lion if we needed to. While hiking back down the hill we could hear large twigs being snapped behind us out of sight, and every so often we'd hear something whistling behind us. Anybody that has a cat has probably heard said cat whistle if it got sight of a bird or something, it was that, but somewhat louder. We started walking much quicker and, of course, lost our backpacks, so we had to double back and find them before retreating to our campsite at the base of the hill. We heard another few cat screams later in the night, but never actually saw the cat.

My wife never believed there were actually mountain lions out there, although recently there was a few news stories about large cats out in those hills that verified they are.
>>
not stalked but close. I used to like to run at night, and occasionally trail run during a full moon. I would run on these trails on the mountains above our neighborhood. One night around 11pm on a full moon i was running on a trail and stopped when there was a bunch of noise from the bushes just off the trail. I stopped expecting a Coyote, which I would see fairly commonly up there. Instead a Cougar comes out of the bushes and just stands there, watching me. I walked slowly down the trail, standing as tall as I can. The cougar doesnt move at all. It just stood there watching me until I finally walked out of sight.

...I then ran straight out of the hills. I never ran there again after dark (though I have hiked there after dark a few times, with a head lamp).

Also, I thought I would just throw this out. All the animals I have run into while running while I have lived in Washington, Idaho and Montana: Deer, Coyote, Moose, Bear, Fox, Badger, Mountain Goat, Bighorn Sheep, Elk, Turkey, Raccoon, Skunks, Porcupines and all sorts of smaller mammals (squirrels, marmots, rabbits, chipmonks, pikas, etc.)....I've basically come across every large mammal in the region except the Lynx and Wolf. I have never seen a either . And only seen the one cougar, and only one fox. Bear and Moose probably half a dozen times each, deer and coyotes all the time. The bear, cougar and moose, I turned back and went the other way. Everything else just runs away from you.
>>
>>612791
Yeah, I'm sure they did.

Still, not much to worry about unless you're very young, very old, or a 4'10" grill.
>>
>>612529
>eating an Apex Predator
>eating a predator at all
shiggity.
>>
>>612744
Just bodyslam them you double nigger
>>
My g/f is 14 yrs older than me, just sayin'...
>>
About twenty years ago, I decided to go for a short hike in Bandelier National Monument in New Mexico on my birthday. I had heated up some tuna fish spaghetti and planned on taking an hour from work to hike out to the rim of the canyon, eat my lunch, return to car and go back to work. About three-quarters of the way out to the canyon rim, I scanned the hillside for a game trail that I had spotted a herd of elk streaming down earlier that winter. My eyes panned from the top of the hill down to the bottom where I saw a mountain lion rolling in the dirt taking a dirt bath. It then stood up and we stared at each other. It was about 40 yards away. It then just laid down in the dirt while I got behind a tree (as if that was going to do anything!). I watched for about a minute, then headed out to the canyon rim, ate my lunch and returned. I was pretty worried that the lion was going to spell my spaghetti, which I'm sure it did, but it didn't seem to be interested. Best birthday present I've ever had.
>>
>>610486
the mountain lion is behind the dog.
>>
>>607293

I had a few close encounters with Pumas, but they usually dont prey on men, only faggots and children.
>>
File: no-cougar.jpg (451KB, 640x2560px) Image search: [Google]
no-cougar.jpg
451KB, 640x2560px
>>612913
no there isn't
i have looked at the picture in all kinds of alternative color schemes and there is no discernable contrast that suggest a cougar being there
well that's not true the light-spot on the last pic kinda resembles a cat shape but that's clearly just illuminated ground
>>
>>612957
> itt fagots and children
>>
>>612771
Is this supposed to be a joke?
Bear encounters are pretty common all over NA.
>>
>>612773

Both very good dogs. love how they constantly move from the side and behind the Cat giving it no option but to leave.
>>
>>610901

Well, I no longer live in Houston...but there's tons of stuff nearby. It looks like they've done some serious renovations to the bayous. As dumpy as it is, there are many nice areas near the bay. My favorite area down there is probably Big Thicket. Ah, and I grew up camping at Brazos Bend.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4FbHzeCJjM

:'3
>>
>>616648
it always gets me how housecats, bobcats and mountain lions behave pretty much the same.
i have been stalked a couple of times by cats which is awfully hilarious when they are not 100lbs+.
>>
>>612872

Apparently they're supposed to taste pretty good.

Nice white meat like lean pork.

No one really wants to eat them for whatever reason.
>>
File: image.jpg (410KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
410KB, 1536x1024px
>live in California
>ran cross country in high school
>trail we frequently run is less than a few hundred yards away from suburbs, called Whiting Ranch
>in 2004 a biker was killed in Whiting Ranch, 6th time someone ever died from a cougar attack in state history, it's even listed on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America)
>2 years later, everyone jokes about running into a cougar in this sketchy ass park
>coach enforces buddy policy, so nobody can enter the park alone, they have to wait at the gate for another runner
>dunno why they even let us run the trail anymore
>sophomore year, no one ever really expects running into a cougar
>being the fucktard I am, decide to enter alone
>nobody around, getting kinda spooked looking into the drought-affected woods n shit
>cougar comes on the trail about 200 yards ahead of he and stares at me
>immediately slow down, not being completely fucktarded, I tried to look big and threw a few rocks at it
>didn't move for a minute and slinked back into the woods, zero fucks given
>no fucks given about runners ahead of me, immediately make a 180 and tell everyone to get the fuck out
>nobody ever told the coach, still ran the trail for the rest of the year
>>
>>617095
what a pussy running from a kitty
what are you a black bear?
>>
>>617118
didn't run m9
>>
>>612822
I've actually seen a Mt.Lion out there. I lived inbetween Blanco and Johnson City kinda set off the main roads and we had a problem maybe 5-6 years ago with this one that was killing peoples livestock/pets. I was driving home one afternoon and the damned thing ran out across the road. That's probably the only scary thing I've seen out there. I haven't even run into a live snake Ha.
>>
File: ohshit.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
ohshit.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>610329
>>
>>617677
>not running it over
>>
>>616959
>No one really wants to eat them for whatever reason.
Because they likely ate humans.
>>
>>619094
meat is meat
>>
>>611591
you do realise when you say 'awhile back', it was actually about three years ago or so?
>>
>>607293
My dad stumbled upon a young one behind his shop several years ago.
He threw a 2x4 at it and that was that.
>>
>>619383
/thread

You faggots scared of wild animals should know you're more likely to fall and die in the shower. Take your phobias and go to hell.
>>
>>619415
That kind of complacency is what gets you killed.
>>
>>612736
Sure you can mang. Get your pal, buddy
>>
>>619441
Nope. Just be sensible and prepared about it like carry bear mace and keep your camp clean. Just like putting on a seat belt or wearing a bike helmet.

Stop obsessing you faggots.
>>
>>607293
i see them reasonably often
theyve never done anything around me besides slunk away. i think theyre just looking for outdoor pets to eat.
>>
>>609225

Your already dead.
>>
if i ever saw a mountain lion i would just bodyslam it
>>
>>607746
>>607741
Thats not how you spell cheetah
>>
>>621597

> snorlax detected
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.