[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Survival guide?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: sas1-sas-survival-handbook.jpg (86KB, 222x347px) Image search: [Google]
sas1-sas-survival-handbook.jpg
86KB, 222x347px
Hello, /out/. Forgive me if this is an usual kind of shitposting this board gets since this is the first post i do in this board, but since there is a shit ton of controversies and people arguing about what to do and not to do in a survival scenario contradicts what some people say, is there any kind of tip or rulebook that has been confirmed to have the least amount of facts that has been proved wrong, or, in general, to be the most correct?

Pic related, ive seen no one so far talk bad about the SAS survival guide.
>>
It's not like there isn't a book thread or anything already
>>
>>607188
Haven't noticed
>>
>>607171
>that has been confirmed to have the least amount of facts that has been proved wrong
confirmed or proved wrong by whom?

I personally didn't find this book very useful. Almost everything in it is either obvious, or explained too superficially to be useful in practice. I spotted a few "facts" I most certainly don't agree with.

John Wiseman's book is by no means a bad book, but it claims to be the ultimate guide to surviving anywhere, and it's not.
>>
>>607430
Do you know any other book i could use that its better?
>>
>>607433
my rec would be a guide on local flora, but that can be found online probably. There isn't really much more to learn about living out and about that isn't common sense unless you're into primitive camping.
>>
>>607433
No. Most of all-in-one survival guides have been written just to make quick cash. It's like reading the same book over and over again. I guess, it's because they are all written for "normies". I could easily write such survival guide myself.

Lundind's book, the one that has a traffic sign in the cover was interesting, something new, but not very enjoyable to read.

If you're interested in some particular area of survival I recommend looking for older books in the subject (written before eighties and Rambo).
>>
>>607438
that book was about Urban Survival, not innawoods survival fantasies
>>
>>607433
If you live or go out somewhere where bushcraft skills are applicable, learn bushraft instead of "survival skills". And learn common outdoor skills, like navigating with a compass and reading a paper map, it's a lot more useful than remembering mnemonics and rules of 3, 4 and 5.

>>607449
>Urban Survival,
That's why I mentioned it. Lofty's book is about surviving anywhere.
>>
I've got a copy of the US Army Survival Manual. It's got some good info in it for a large variety of situations. There's no one book you can read that will take you from "car camper" level to "extreme survivalist" level though. You also can't learn everything from a book, you really need to practice the stuff you read about before you'll be ready to use those techniques in a survival situation. You should learn about constructing shelters, building and maintaining fires, how to identify, gather, and prepare local edible plants, how to use snares and traps for small game, how to fish using primitive methods, and how to obtain safe drinking water for starters.
>>
File: IMG_20150924_203748308_TOP.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150924_203748308_TOP.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
I have this book, its fucking great.
>>
Take the advice about bushcraft skills and run with it. The overwhelming odds are that you will never be in any sort of a survival situation. They increase only slightly if you are in some high risk occupation like bush pilot or soldier of fortune, but if you are you have better outlets for training than a book.

Way too many people read, recommend, and even write these books without ever having put any of the content to the test. They buy a bunch of gear and put it in a BOB that sits in their trunk gathering dust. If you want to know how well something from a survival book works, drive to your nearest national or state forest and spend a night with just the shit they said to take. Do the shit they said to do. The good and bad are revealed in short order.
>>
>>607468
Thanks. I was not expecting to go full extremist survivalist but more of a scenario where i wanted to go camping in the asshole of the world where i knew nothing about the place (but suspecting from the replies this thread gets, that alone i suppose is a stupid idea)
>>
SAS survival guide is great. But also get a book of your local medicinal and edible plants. That will come in very handy. Also a book about primitive skills is very good to have.
>>
File: Doom.jpg (33KB, 338x499px) Image search: [Google]
Doom.jpg
33KB, 338x499px
>>607171
The one I keep handy
http://www.doomguide.com

Free to download from the sauce. Also available from Amazon along with the SAS guide for $24.79
http://www.amazon.com/The-Illustrated-Doom-Survival-Guide/dp/1935487779
>>
>>607171
I just ordered it, 10€ for a good survival guide is a bargain.
>>
>>607561
Available on several torrent sites.
>>
>>608270
Available free from the author's site.
>Protip:sauce = source. lurkmoar
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.