[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me /out/. I'm baffled by paracord. Why do people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 12

Help me /out/. I'm baffled by paracord. Why do people buy this nonsense?
>>
People are stupid.
>>
My buddy Dave suggests bank line.

I agree.
>>
>>606025
Paracord is literally a meme cordage. Why anyone would pay that much money for cordage that they are going to dispose of boggles my mind.

Not to mention that it is heavy and it takes up a TON of volume.

I usually carry a small length of thin bank line for when I really need strength, but aside from that, I just use a natural fiber twine as it is cheap, lightweight, and is low volume. The stuff is practically free.

But yeah get paracord if you like to make cute bracelets and jewelry to impress your friends at your next comic book convention.
>>
>Why do people buy this nonsense?
Why do you care what people buy with their money?
>>
>>606025
because parachuting with fishing line gets you killed?
>>
>>606062
Why do you care what people care about? Why get so defensive when someone legitimately questions if a popular product is actually deserving of its popularity?
>>
innawoods bondage games
>>
>>606025
Because I get it for cheap, ~$.04 /ft, and it fits my purpose just fine.
>>
Because I can get it for .05/yard.

Stupid pleb.
>>
>>606046
>pay that much money
How much do you think we are paying? What's some cheaper cord with similar specs that's cheaper?
>Not to mention that it is heavy and it takes up a TON of volume
That's simply false. Got some cheaper cord with similar specs that's cheaper and lighter?
>>
>>606046
>pay that much money
I'm paying next to nothing for it at Michael's
>>
The most useful thing I've found to do with paracord is to feed elastic down the center to make a pretty solid bungee, for keeping tension on tarp lines. Other than that? The knot holding sucks and it abrades your hands, then it stretches. You can't use it for tension, because a taut-line will slide right back down. It's overkill for lashings, and it's underkill for anything involving human weight. You can certainly rig a parachute with it, though.
>>
>>606025
I have a a small amount of it for my tarp, mine is camo and looks nice. It's also good to practice knots in your spare time.
>>
People use memecord because damn few of them are experienced and assume if everyone else raves about it: it must be the shit to get. They are just trusting the collective wisdom of others.
If you don't like it then pitch a new meme.
>>
>>606200
It stretches once.
> It's overkill for lashings
Good thing you can split it into 7 smaller strands.
> it's underkill for anything involving human weight
It's far from optimal but usable if you need to.

>>606208
Again, what is:
>lighter or
>smaller or
>stronger
while also:
>being cheaper
>has several internal strands
If you know something like that, then by all means tell me because I want it.
>>
>>606025
>Why do people buy this nonsense?
If you show me a better alternative I stop using it right away.

I use paracord because knots tied with it are easy to untie and it has little "memory".
>>
>>606213
If human weight is involved, it's not about "optimal" vs "suboptimal", it's about "safe" vs "unsafe". Paracord is unsafe for taking human weight (outside of a parachute, obviously).
>>
>>606213
>far from optimal

no, it's straight up dangerous. anything but a perfectly static load risks breaking it. it's not at all safe for supporting body weight
>>
>>606217
>>606218
>It's far from optimal but usable if you need to.
>usable
>if you need to
>>
>>606200
>The knot holding sucks
>taut-line will slide right back down

You need to learn knots that work with paracord.
>>
>>606025
now I'm not the biggest fan of paracord, but here is some things it really has going for it:
It is strong enough for lashing almost anything.
One of those little bracelet things usually has about 15-20ft of paracord if double threaded,
that is also 105-140ft of twine (for traps say) when you seperate out the seven internal fibres.
Each of those fibres splits into 3 more very thing fibres that can be used as fishing line, 315-420(blazeit)ft of fishing line worn around your wrist is pretty cool.
The fibres can also be used for sewing to repair shit on the fly.
It's cheap as fuck n certain places.
While it's not great for knots, many knots work very well, and it beats the shit out of nylon rope.
>>
>>606221
It's not "usable if you need it to" if it breaks. Just get accessory cord.
>>
>>606216
>preferring a kind of cord BECAUSE it dosnt hold knots
>>
3.49 $ for 100 ft, I think that's cheap. I use fucktons of it /out/ when I dont want to use natural cordage or twine.
>>
>>606389
Are you a retard or is it that you've never opened a single knot? A bank line surely holds knot better, but if you make a mistake you'll have to cut the line with a knife. Now, if you're an idiot and don't know how to make a proper knot with a paracord, you can always go back and try again.

>doesn't hold knots = your inability to tie knots
>>
>>606025
i carry paracord because i can use it and reuse it to build shelter tie a hammock or secure something and i can easily get finer strands out of it if i have need for them.

i think those about the reasons. also i don't to this day know what bank line is. there is no translation to my language that i can find. all i get from google is hotlines for banks
>>
>>606217
have you ever heard about doubling up the rope
or quadrupling if you are murrican
>>
>>606409
Instead of searching for bank line, try searching for Tarred nylon twine.

Thats what bank cord is, nylon twine coated in tar
>>
>>606412
i have tried everything, it doesn't exists in my country.
there are plastic based black cordages but they are not tar treated nylon for sure.
anyways i had very bad experiences with nylon cord it was thick as my pinky and a fell on my ass cause a little bit of sun shined on my hammock rope that way nylon. if the heat killed it or the uv i don't know but it took like an hour.
>>
>muh mil-spec

That is mostly what the masturbation is about, the fact that a military spec for it exists. Other than that it is a useful type of cordage it just happens to get recommended for every-fucking-thing when other cordage would be better suited.

I carry a few dozen feet of it in my pack and a hundred or so in my vehicle. But I also carry some PowerPro fishing line for when I need something thinner and lighter and more cut resistant. Horses for courses.
>>
It is easier for me to toe knots and stuff what with my big hands.
>>
>>606213
>Good thing you can split it into 7 smaller strands.
this is the entire reason people use paracord how nobody posted this earlier just proves how little members of /out/ actually go out with other people.

Please just shut the fuck up if you dont know the answer guys.
>>
File: poyester-rope.jpg (26KB, 383x254px) Image search: [Google]
poyester-rope.jpg
26KB, 383x254px
>>606216
>If you show me a better alternative I stop using it right away.
Braided polyester.

There are two reasons to pick paracord instead. One is if you're actually rigging a parachute, the other is if it's issued to you or you can get it dirt cheap.

>>606455
>split it into 7 smaller strands.
It's a neat trick to know if you ever parachute into the jungle and you need to turn your shrouds into fishing line. Otherwise just carry some smaller strands as well, then you don't have to wreck your stronger cord.
>>
>>606418
Nylon in general sucks for rigging because it stretches, and loses a lot of strength when it gets wet. Good for dock lines and tow ropes (and parachute shrouds) because it absorbs shock.
>>
>>606461
>Braided polyester.
Sounds expensive.
>It's a neat trick to know if you ever parachute into the jungle
Oh your "Superior rope" can't even do this? No buy then. Paracord is so cheap I don't have the give a crap about destroying it. Sure I could carry all kinds of cordage for different situations. No, I want one type of cord.
>>
>>606461
>Braided polyester.
I got it dirt cheap, but still it's superior to braided polyester.

>split it into 7 smaller strands.
not sure about survival uses, but is it a bad thing if you can make a 21 feet of fishing line out of 3 feets of paracord?
>>
>>606473
>is it a bad thing
No it's the killer feature
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctuiFjK1zdk
>>
>>606469
>Sounds expensive.
Maybe if you buy it as accessory cord from a boutique climbing store it is, but I use it on the boat anyway so I have it. It's got a lot more abrasion resistance so it lasts a long time.

>Oh your "Superior rope" can't even do this? No buy then
You can brreak down any rope into finer strands and retwist it into what you need if you really want to, but then you don't have the original rope anymore.

>. Paracord is so cheap I don't have the give a crap about destroying it.
Like I said if you can get it cheap or free that's a reason to use it.

>>606473
>I got it dirt cheap, but still it's superior to braided polyester.
Lolno, unless you're rigging a parachute it really isn't.

>is it a bad thing if you can make a 21 feet of fishing line out of 3 feets of paracord?
If you ever get shot down over the jungle and have to eject it's probably a really good thing you can turn your shrouds into fishing line. But if I was just going LARPing for a week or making a survival bag I'd just pack a spool of fishing line so I wouldn't have to cannibalize my good cordage. It weighs and costs almost nothing.
>>
>>606687
the point is it works about the same as any other cord you would be using but also has survival benefits, should you need them

you can make traps, better medical improvisations, fishing line, gay ass bracelets...etc
>>
>>606405
Or I could just get some rope that I can tie a fucking bowline in without it falling apart.
>>
>>606707
The anon went trough pains to say how paracoard is generally not suproir than other cords except for cost, what part of that don't you understand?

Also
>using paracord as a tourniquet
No. Get that shit out of your head now and I will call you a faggot until it is.
>>
>>606025
It's a fun a waste of time for me and even the simple weaves amaze regular people.

Also I can make a few bucks selling them.
>>
I think got promoted thanks to paracord.

My "boss" liked making bracelets and stuff with paracord. One day he saw me wearing a homemade bracelet and we got to talking about the various weaves we knew.. Before that he barely said hello if he didn't need me.

Some time went by and we would show each other new weaves. Then a managerial position opened up with beter pay and lo and behold he was the one doing the interview process.

I got the job,. Also we might be starting a business selling paracord accessories together which is kinda cool. It was his idea, but he needs a partner to help fill orders. 50/50 on profits.
>>
When you take a gander around the web for survival packs and gear rigs, 9/10 of them include 550 paracord. Real, genuine paracord is a nylon braided rope. It’s made up of a woven sheath over 7 nylon strands. Each of those 7 strands unravel into 3 thinner nylon strands. Genuine paracord is also weight-rated to 550lbs, which is pretty impressive by itself. Couple that with its low cost and it’s every prepper’s dream rope, right?

Sort of.

Paracord is very versatile but has some drawbacks that should make anyone that includes it in any kind of ‘pack’ think twice about bringing more, and different rope. The thinner nylon strands in paracord can make a crude bow for hunting, or expedient fishing line, or the whole cord can make decent non-vital rigging (such as hanging food in a tree to prevent predators from getting at it). It is not great, however, for lifeline applications or water applications.

When considering life-safety applications, such as rigging or climbing, the “Safety Factor” of the equipment being used has to be applied so that we know how much weight the equipment can take before it begins to warp. For fibre ropes being used as life-safety applications, the Safety Factor is 15:1 as per the NFPA 1983 standards. They calculated this ratio by first implementing the standard that all lines holding two workers must meet or exceed a 9000lb breaking strength. NFPA’s acceptable weight rating for one worker is 300lbs, so a line rated to 9000lbs must be used to support a maximum of 600lbs. 9000/600 = 15/1.
(cont)
>>
>>608520
(cont)
Paracord’s rated yield strength is 550lbs, meaning it can take a still load of 550lbs before the paracord starts to permanently stretch and warp. When the yield strength is divided by the safety factor, it is determined that the user being supported by the paracord must weigh no more than about 36 pounds. If the user’s weight exceeds 36 pounds, the paracord could wear, warp, or break once the user started to move around while being supported by the paracord.

As if that weren’t enough, paracord’s width is also an issue. At 4mm thick, paracord is not thick enough for the human hand to grasp and hold weight and is thin enough to cut you with little effort. Once the slightest amount of force is applied and the paracord starts to slide through the user’s fist, slicing their hand as it does so. This means without knots or loops tied into the paracord, it cannot be climbed. This also means if paracord is being used in a life-safety rigging and the anchor latch securing the paracord to the user’s body fails or slips, the user cannot grab the paracord with their hand to save their own life.

It gets worse. Paracord is hydrophilic, meaning that it loses its strength when it comes into contact with water. If paracord gets wet, kiss that 550lb rating good-bye. Prolonged exposure to light weakens paracord as well. All in all, it’s not magic rope. It’s a decent bang-for-the-buck, but it’s certainly not meant for life-safety rigs. Doubling or tripling up on cord may not be safe either due to knots bringing the strength of any rope or cord down by up to 50%. As always, make sure you’re choosing the right rope for the job.

Sources:
http://edcforums.com/threads/using-paracord-as-emergency-escape-rope.49646/
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=187059&page=5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord
http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18521
>>
>>608520
>>608521
While I generally agree with you that people shouldn't consider paracord the be-all-end-all, I thing rappelling/etc is a pretty minimal use for carrying rope.

The primary use is almost always going to be lashing things: either to your body (for carrying, splints, shoelaces, etc), for trapping/fishing, or to make shelter. For most of these purposes the size/weight of paracord is a better choice than a climbing-rated 8mm+ rope.

Also if you have the cord and you MUST use it in a climbing scenario, then you can double/triple/etc rope for some extra safety, basically like what is done with climbing twin-ropes.
>>
>>608521
This is an idiotic criticism that boils down to 'paracord sucks because you can't climb with it'.

Show me another rope with the size, weight, cost, and versatility of paracord that you CAN climb with.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't carry only paracord if you have the opportunity, but the idea of 'prepping' for a bug out scenario that requires a person to scale a rock wall is beyond absurd.
>>
>>606025
Price/strength/weight ratio means you can use a lot of it and leave it behind without crying. It's a bit like the duct tape of the outdoors. Much like duct tape, however, it's not something I'd use it in an exposed situation (e.g. climbing, rappelling, etc.)
>>
>>606025
>>606027
>>606046
>>606200
>>606208
ITT: Hipsters, contrarians and inexperienced people.

Paracord is probably the best combination of useful and cheap when it comes to lashing material. It's extremely easy to work the knots when setting up/taking down tarps. The inner strands are my preferred material for bow strings and snares. The bow string thing is huge, I cannot think of a material that's superior when building your own bows from bush, even actual coiled bow string isn't as versatile and controllable and is designed to knock factory-made arrows and not ones made in the woods. I don't get to eat birds without para cord.

>>606461
I don't consider straight up rope an alternative to para cord, they just aren't the same kind of thing. If you're climbing, yeah, bring some fucking rope, if not, rope isn't as versatile as para cord. Remember, even if you unwind rope, paracord has the inner strands and you still can use the tube for lashing.

When I'm on a big camping trip, I always bring para cord for non-permanent lashing and bird-related hunting/trapping, and I use fishing line for permanent lashing, alarm systems and fishing. I don't use rope because I don't fuck around with something dangerous and stupid like climbing when I'm remote and alone, but yes, fishing line and para cord are obviously not climbing rope alternatives.
>>
>>606557
nice ty
>>
>>608607
You can't just use two lines if one isn't strong enough, not without braiding them together. If you fall such that one rope takes the weight before the other (very common), it'll break first and then the other one will break as soon as it takes weight.

With proper twin roping, both of your ropes still have a hefty safety factor on them (2000 lbs-ish, and probably more when new). A single rope could take a fall, no problem. You just use two so you have a very fault-tolerant system. It's not a way to get away with using two weak ropes.
>>
>>609496
>>609487

It's not very good as a lashing material, it's absorbs water and tends to hold it too, not to mention it stretches pretty easily. Bank line is much better at anything paracord does and manages to be lighter, the only downside is you're paying maybe an extra 13 cents a yard.
>>
>>609536
Not only have you concentrated only on water soakage which not only isn't even a problem in my extensive experience in using paracord for tying down tarps over the years, but bank line is essentially the inner-cord in para cord, and for that reason you're paying more like an extra dollar per yard which is ridiculous, and that's not even taking the tube into account, which if you get into unweaving bank line for thread the tube has even more thread woven into it than a yard of bank line. Having used both paracord and polyester twine extensively while camping long term, polyester is much harder to work with for temporary lashings and isn't anywhere near as versatile or efficient per yard.

Bank line is superior if you need something to be absolutely taught, even though inner cord of para cord can accomplish this perfectly fine after getting wet a single time. I'm just trying to be objective here. Paracord really is great, and I can't imagine any reason people would talk shit about it unless they reeeeaally want to be a special snowflake.

Fishing line for permanent lashings, bindings and alarm systems, GI tripwire for strong bindings and tool making and artificial sinew for fletching are pretty much the only things I prefer something other than paracord for. Paracord is my first choice for everything else.
>>
>>609496
/thread
>>
>>609551
>my extensive experience in using paracord for tying down tarps over the years
Yes, tell me all about your experiences tying string to a tarp.
>>
File: 20151012_114229_HDR.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20151012_114229_HDR.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>609559

He ties tarps, don't second guess him.
>>
There have been many good posts regarding strength and weaknesses of paracord in this thread. But if you think that it's EXPENSIVE, then holy shit - do get a better job, because one could afford paracord by working at McD or wherever. And it wouldn't make a dent in his budget.
>>
>>606025
I use it to hang my food at night when backpacking in bear country. My tarp also uses it as guy line. I keep a little extra in case I need to lash something together.

On a recent hike, a member of the group had the sole of his boot separate from his shoe during the hike. Duct tape wasn't cutting it, and the only lasting solution we found was to use, you guessed it, paracord to wrap the shoe back together.
>>
File: 1439732437437.jpg (21KB, 960x422px) Image search: [Google]
1439732437437.jpg
21KB, 960x422px
Holy shit, why do you guys get so bent out of shape about some rope?
>>
>>609559
It is awesome, I loop the paracord through an eyelet and throw a quick clove hitch on to secure it. Then I tie the other end off to a tree or the like, often varying the knots just to stay in good practice, like half hitch variatation or a bow knot or so.

For tarps without eyelets I make a little pocket with a rock in it had tie off around that.

It is a blast let me tell you what.
>>
>>610515
This bait thread has been highly efficient at triggering the anti-paracord retards.
Respect.
>>
>>608520
A couple of small pulleys, and you have a gun tackle, which effectively reduces the strain by half.
I weigh a very light 120 pounds, 150 with all my shit. Half of that is 75 lbs.
In static load, my safety factor is thus a very decent 7+.
For dynamic loads, you can use a dock line snubber (or any piece of rubber, for that matter) to significantly reduce the dynamic strain. (Think of it as damping the shock).

I wouldn't recommend using paracord for climbing, but in a survival situation, I'd definitely go for it under the aforementioned conditions.

If I have no pulleys, then I guess I'll still try to be creative to be as safe as possible.
>>
File: DSC_0063 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0063 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 3872x2592px
>>606102
This guy gets it.
>>
>>610726
0/10 not braided paracord. Note to self: create and market an outdoor bondage line of braided paracord.
>>
>>610731
Well any cordage can be used for /out/door bondage. You never know when you may need it and when you do it is right there, along with tits, you always need those.
>>
>>610733
If it was regular nylon, hemp or silk /out/ists wouldn't have reason to sperg out over it.
>>
>>610748
In the picture I posted it is silk. But I mostly posted it because of /out/doors bondage, which it turns out is fun and I have the niggling feeling that most of /out/ doesnt get to do such things.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 585x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 585x720px
>>610726
I'm so sick of those.
>>
>>610594
Seriously, the right tool for the right job, paracord is fine for some jobs and piss poor for others, it all depends on what you need it for, I don't understand how we have 43 people just arguing about nothing.
>>
I use paracord, cause I got 60 thousand feet of it, for 10 bucks. It is mmore than durable for what I use it for. Have strung up plenty of full size buck to bleed out. I also love the colors in comes in.

/out/ is The new /b/ nothing but Bitching and shit threads. Just waiting for the traps and CP, the two boards will be the same then.
>>
>>606123
Paracord costs $1/foot. You need at least 50 feet of paracord for an overnight camp, double for every day you spend outdoors. Meanwhile, bankline is 10c/foot, and you only need about 10 feet for a week. You can strangle a moose with bankline, while paracord snaps from a stiff breeze. Have you ever lashed together a simple raft? If you did, you'd find the bondings in paracord dissolve in water, whereas bankline is entirely water and fire resistant. So tell me, which is better?
>>
>>611036
Are you serious or being facetious?
>>
>>611036
8/10
almost
>>
I don't buy it, there are rolls of it hanging next to the company office.
Along with bank line, 3.5mm and 2.5mm nylon line.
>>
>>611036
Not a paracord fan, but this is total bs.
2/10
>>
>>611036
When Jeremiah Johnson walked into the woods, he took only an Opinel and two inches of bankline. He walked out the richest man in New Mexico. Several songs were written about him. Meanwhile, Kit Carson took 500 feet of paracord, and he killed a fuckload of Apache. If you use fishing line on a parachute, you'll die, but if you use bankline, you'll land on-target, and stomp a Nazi's face as you're coming down, thus earning an achievement/trophy depending on your system. The most important thing to remember about this is that it's really not a debate, like how Leatherman vs. Gerber isn't a debate. Bear Grylls knives are made by Gerber, and I know someone who keeps an Ultimate Survival Knife in his car, just in case. While it came in handy several times, he also plays cooking games on his tablet, so what does that tell you? Bankline is objectively better than paracord, and you should feel bad for using it. Case closed.
>>
>>611036
>Paracord costs $1/foot.
Where the fuck are you buying paracord? I get milsurp all the damn time for $5/100ft. I've got a few hundred feet of OD, as well as some hi-viz. Oh, and I've got 40ft of 1100 lb, cut from military cargo chutes.
>>
I've heard bankline gets sticky, particularly in the heat.
How much of an issue is this?
I would want to get tar on my tarp. It probably wouldn't be too big of a deal if that happened: but there would be that risk of a tear.
>>
>>606025
i don't know, and when I see it in the store I always remember /out/
>>
>>611036
>>611173

ok, I laughed
>>
>>606025
Because they think they're getting actual 550 cord. 550 cord is called such because it's rated for 550lb. The strength/weight ratio is pretty good. It's decent stuff but it can be a pain for some tasks. Natural rope can serve more purposes(fire starter, etc) but is vulnerable to moisture.
>>
why the fuck would anyone use bankline? It's basically masonry line with tar. Are you building forms in the rain for your "survival shelter"?
>>
I just made four new pairs of boot laces.

1,000 foot roll of paracord purchase justified!!!
>>
File: image.jpg (327KB, 1600x1788px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
327KB, 1600x1788px
>>611301
>laces
>stretchy as fuck
>>
>>611312
Lacing boots so tight that 550 stretchiness comes into play, your doing it wrong.
>>
>>611036
If you're buying paracord for a dollar a foot, I've got a bridge in New York I bet you'd love to buy.
>>
Take a look at google images.. all paracord shows up as in bracelet form.. not one inawoods actively being used. Look up Cliff ropes... that sure as fuck aint paracord in use.
useless... thanks Google.
>>
I agree that people over value paracord. But if you dont have like 50ft of it then your wrong. It doesnt take up that much room, or weight. And If youve never had a use for paracord innawoods then your fked. Paracord has saved my ass for making shelter more times than I can count. You can use it to hoist small amount of food in trees. I often use it to tie things onto my pack, or dummycord something. And yes one time I was innawoods hiking and my boot lace broke. And yes I used paracord to fix it. Guess what I continued to hike. Thats what its good for. Not all the time, but as a safety net its nice
>>
>>611802
/thread
>>
>>611832
No one is saying don't bring any cordage, just that paracord is overrated, which you say is true.
>>
Leave it to 4channers to turn perfectly good items like paracord and Mora knives into fedora-tipping maymays.
What's next /out/ists? Duct tape, Opinels, External frames?
>>
>>611802
>Hmmmm, Google suggest that most people view paracord as fancy bracelets.
>Surely there's nothing else I can do with it.
>It's thus useless.

You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>611845
The main reason why people assume they are not worth anything outside of memes is because it usually is shoved down people's throats when there are better options.

They are fine in and of themselves but retards taking it too far is what makes them a fedora-tipping maymay.

>>611846
Are you a fucking catfish? Stop taking b8.
>>
>>611851
>b8
I don't want people like >>611838 leaving the thread thinking that crap.
>>
>>611802
>google image search tells you what equipment people are actually using outdoors
my god you have got to be the biggest poser ever.
>>
>>606046

Interesting opinion.

So youve never been camping?
>>
>>610522
Whoa, slow down there, bucko--this is family-friendly thread (as is paracord).
>>
>>610774
Of teabaggers? Or black ovals? I know they both annoy the shit outta me.
>>
File: Ceci N'est Pa Un Trap.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Ceci N'est Pa Un Trap.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
>>611004
Well, sheeeit, lemme get things started here.
>>
File: Aaaand....we're good..jpg (154KB, 1024x767px) Image search: [Google]
Aaaand....we're good..jpg
154KB, 1024x767px
>>613521
...wait for it...
>>
>>613520
>Or black ovals
Well it beats getting banned though.
>>
File: omg paracords.jpg (28KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
omg paracords.jpg
28KB, 400x300px
Operator,

there is also:

reflective
and glow in the dark paracord

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xglow+dark+paracord+550.TRS0&_nkw=glow+dark+paracord+550&_sacat=0
>>
>>609496
you make your own bow while you camp and shoot birds with it?

that's pretty neat, but i doubt for most it's a real concern
>>
It seems to be recommended a lot by those BOB carrying "survival experts" that watch the occasional Youtube video or rely on fragmented Boy Scout knowledge that they've picked up over the years. They see how much weight it can hold and they think that makes it a better rope.

If they ever actually tried to use it or set up a tarp with para chord they would understand why it's junk.
>>
>>613954
>They see how much weight it can hold and they think that makes it a better rope.
They also don't understand the difference between breaking strength and working load. (Or dry strength and wet strength with nylon)
>>
>>613954
What do you use for a tarp?
>>
>>613954
You sound exactly like those "survival experts", but with an anti-paracord leaning rather than a pro-paracord leaning.
>>
>>614222
No he doesn't, he sounds like a reasonable and well balanced anon with experience, who knows his cordage.

It's only because there's a milspec for it that survival fags get such a hard-on for paracord. Otherwise it's just mediocre but adequate semi-disposable utility cord.

If I wanted something thin but strong that might have to take my weight for a bug-out bag, I'd invest in Spectra.
>>
>>614222
I love it when they shit on things without listing alternatives. They just want to feel superior and are afraid someone will shit on what they like.
They are implicitly suggesting people are emotionally invested in choosing a shitty cord, because why would they not use a better one if they knew there was a better one?
But in reality that is projection, people might be using paracord out of ignorance but they are happy to tell you they use it: while these fellows keep their preference to themselves.
>>
>>614226
We tell you every thread. 4mm braided polyester marine or accesory cord. Stronger, more abrasion resistant, stretches less and doesn't lose strength when wet like nylon.

I'd even pick polypropylene over paracord for a lot of applications, admittedly it's stiff and slippery which makes it tricky to knot but it's dirt cheap.

Or for maximum strength to diameter for a bug out bag, if I indulged in such fantasies, like I just said, Spectra
>>
>>614225
>invest in spectra
>bears my weight
Yeah, have fun falling to your death just like the paracord fags when your knot comes untied
>>
>>614281
You can get spectra core with (other synthetic of your choice) sheath.
>>
>>610726
does anyone know where i can find the rest of that serie? or uncesored ones?
>>
>>611851
>it usually is shoved down people's throats when there are better options
i think not it's always suggested to bring some because it's pretty versatile. nobody said only take paracord i haven't heard anyone saying that. i have heard floss line suggested as cordage now that's fucking retarded.

paracord bracelet supposed to be a last ditch stuff if you lose your other cordage in extreme emergency it weights next to nothing and can be salvaged for fishing line bowline or probably you can floss with it in a flossing emergency.

having some paracord doesn't mean you shouldn't carry cheaper cord in your backpack.

btw mine is not in a bracelet form.
>>
I use paracord for grip, usually just wrapped neat and tight and brushed down until coated with a little thinned liquid rubber.
>>
>>609496
Paracord is shit for lashing. It stretches way too much and will end up loose. Use natural fiber rope which has l9w stretch.
>>
This is why I love /out/ the Fudds break out in a preference battle and by the end of it neither even care anymore. Which is the way it should have been in the beginning. Why buy paracord? Because they want to. The end.
>>
>>614914
>i think not it's always suggested to bring some because it's pretty versatile
You should bring some kind of cordage, but there are plenty of armchair survivalists who sperg out about "genuine milspec" 550 cord (and some seem to think you can even rappel with it) without realizing
1) safe working load for a line is 1/10 rated breaking strength
2) nylon loses strength when it's wet
3) all ropes lose strength when they're knotted
3) it stretches a lot
4) if you aren't rigging a parachute, there is other better cordage

>having some paracord doesn't mean you shouldn't carry cheaper cord in your backpack.
Paracord is supposed to be your cheaper cord. Getting it cheap is the one valid reason to buy it.

>>615859
They can wank over the milspec all they want, as long as they don't tell people it's ok to climb or hang a hammock with it. I'll still make fun of them.
>>
I buy paracord because i like it,and i can pay for it.
>>
>>615863
i'm fairly certain of two things
1 you can rappel with paracord if you need to, but you won't use a single line unless you are a retard. your average parachute has 24 to 32 lines at least, if you have a hundred meter paracord you can rappel 10 meters altho i have seen people use only 4 lines and be very careful.
2 paracord is excellent to throw-pull your main line around branches and whatnot, not so sure about bank line.

it all probably comes from army survival manuals when jump from a plane (or crashed) most of your cordage will be paracord you will have to make do with it.
>>
>>615863
fishing line (damyl) can literally cut itself if you use the wrong knots, but any fisherman can attest that using the right knots it's very very unlikely it will break at the knot.
>>
Isn't rappelling on your own in a survival situation basically a death sentence even with a "good" cord?
>>
>>615974
not really no risky yes but not a death sentence by far.
when you must you must.
>>
>>615974
It's a calculated risk. You can rappel solo just fine with the right rope (not cord), skll and gear, but if you're unprepared and not filming a reality tv show it's often better to find another route.
>>
550 cord gets hype by paramilitary wannabes who just jump on the bandwagon. The prices are high because demand is high. The demand is high because of hype. No other reason. If people would stop white washing gear and trying to lump everything in to "one thing does it all" categories it would be so much better. Stop pretending like 550 is best thing ever. It isn't. If you knew anything about anything you'd know it too.
>>
>>614237
>I'd even pick polypropylene over paracord for a lot of applications, admittedly it's stiff and slippery which makes it tricky to knot but it's dirt cheap.
Agreed. I use this all the time. Bought a massive roll at my local hardware cheap thinking I'd need more and haven't. Shits awesome.
>>
>>614902
Seconding this.
>>
It works for the price with surplus stuff but you can choose whatever cordage you want, they all have advantages
>>
>>606025

Threadly reminder that trying to be a contrarian retard also makes you a retard.

Paracord is fine, just as any other quality cord. Who the fuck cares.
>>
Many lulz from this thread. Why not carry both and use whichever for the task at hand?
>>
>>606025
because of le epic paracord bracelets
>>
>>613954
I've set up dozens of tarps with paracord, also fishing line, bank line and just sticks and trees. How could you possibly have difficulty using paracord?
>>
I made a sling with paracord. People around here seem to downplay it, but it's good cordage just like 550 tape is great.
When you use it, it's great, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have paracord vs a proper rope.
>>
>>615850
natural fiber stretches shitton tho
i prefer to use it because you can cut it off and forget about it it's just dead plant matter
but it stretches a lot and very unpredictable in strength.
>>
>>620448
Any cordage made from plant material has already been strength tested and isn't hard to estimate
>>
Literally junk tier cordage. #36 has a breaking point of 340lbs, which is more than you will ever need, its also cheaper, and takes up less space.
>>
I really like 'PMI utility cord'.

It's also polyester sheath / nylon core, but it's a tighter weave, doesn't stretch as much, and is kind of stiff. You can easily 'back out' knots, which is useful when dressing them.

Made in Georgia, I think.

You can get a 50ft hank from REI for $5.
>>
>>606025
It's another one of those things that got seized on by YouTube survival types and then got picked up by all the autists and sperglords to the exclusion of all else.
>>
>>622041
It's been like that since well before youtube.
>>
>>622046
Yeah but it wasn't like now.
>>
>>620478
yeah no it's not strength tested unless the test was it can hold it' own weight in 10m stretch.
>>
>>606025
it's the new boot laces.
>>
>>606025
I buy it because its typically the only tough cordage sold at the hardware store or sporting goods store. And sure I could buy some better stuff online but I don't need $35+ of cordage.
>>
>>611339
>he actually wants to feel his feet
>>
>>622122
Sure, now we have youtube.
>>
>paracord laces

That's not how you operate you dumb faggot.

You're supposed to weave moccasins entirely out of your paracord.
>>
>>606217
braiding.... 2, 3, 4, more strands to suit the necessary application.
>>
>>606411
well played
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.