[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking about getting an ESEE 4, are they worth £115.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 11

I'm thinking about getting an ESEE 4, are they worth £115. If not suggestions?
>>
Go ahead and get the 5. The 4 isn't anything special.
>>
The Junglass is worth the money.
>>
>>593589
Why would op need to carry a brick who lacks cutting abilities and it's a pry bar instead?

>>593576
The knife is great and will serve you fine. It's a shame they cost so much here in europe, we always get rapped. Americans pay like $85 for that knife which is a great deal, we end paying twice as much, we could get a Survive in 3V steel for that price. If you have a m8 in the US ask him to send it to you.
>>
>>593605
you never know when a prybar might come in handy, and if you got a small sharp knife anyways then the 4 simply doesn't make sense.
>>
>>593608
I like the 5 but for most tasks is not the best, yeah it's an indestructible beast but since the original purpose is to cut things, I don't think is the best option. Maybe in urban survival and if you need to cut through a car door it will come in handy.
>>
>>593608
>buy a knife
>use it for prying
>carry another knife to actually cut stuff
Flawless logic
>>
>>593634
it actually makes sense to me.
a sturdy knife is lighter than an actual prybar or hatchet and can do the same shit to an extent slower and harder but still can do it.

a good small sharp knife for detail work is unavoidable in my opinion anyways. the big knife is only backup for these tasks: if you lose your small knife or hatchet.
>>
£115
>fucking lold
>>
>>593639
murrican products are super expensive in europe especially in britbongistan
>>
>>593642
That's actually a comparable price
>>
>>593639
twice as much as it costs in the US and A. Fuck this shit.
>>
>>593647
not really, no 117 gbp is about 182 usd ths knife esee 4can be had for $100 and some cchange
>>
>>593649
Ah, I thought the exchange rates were supposed to be closer right now, still though, it's about 120 in the us, $60 more doesn't sound that much compared to a lot of the things I've seen euros import

I can't imagine what the Australians pay, they always seem to have the biggest mark ups
>>
>>593649
you can get the 4 in the $80 range...
>>
>>593651
i have seen versions of it for 104 on ebay right this hour tho... in a shop sure it must be around 110-120

in hungary a kabar bk2 is around 168 usd, an esee rc4 is around 200 usd if you buy online ina shop it will be more.
>>
>>593657
Where?
>>
>>593637

just get a small prypar. You don't need a full on crowbar nigga.

>>593639
you want to lol at something? I bought a tracker from tops (a bit of a guilty pleasure, but whatevs) - paid $300 for the knife, $200 for shipping, then another ~$150 tax and customs.

The other day, I got a coyote (desert ironwood handles, $149 straight from LTWK), paid 200 euro because imports.

And since most knives are made in the us, or at least by US companies, about the only things we can get decent prices on, are scandi knives, like Helle, Ahti, and so on.
>>
>>593657
is it the current model or older / possibly defective batch?
>>
>>593658
I don't really count eBay, I saw a junglas go for 99 once, it was gone quick though
>>
>>593576
Op don't listen to
>>593589
The 4 is a far better knife even if it is an inferior pry bar. As far as the price goes that's expensive, I'm in Aus and I order direct out of the US to avoid paying local prices, generally get it for somewhere in the middle between US and local prices.
>>
>>593661
>just get a small prypar.
good luck batoning that shit nigga!

a sturdy knife will do everythingm but it will suck at everything a bit or sometimes a lot.
>>
>>593661

650$ for a fucking piece of shit TOPS is laughable really.

I got a Steel Eagle 107C for 27€ on a deal.

Which is neat because it's shit. I'd be mad if I payed retail price, suicidal if I paid what you did.
>>
File: RCCM6n.jpg (53KB, 1118x514px) Image search: [Google]
RCCM6n.jpg
53KB, 1118x514px
>>593576

This is the only ESEE I like.

Dont buy into the hype and think knives from USA are the ultimate deal. ESEE is good but not as good as the price would make you think.

Your local knife shop likely has 20 similar knives at a very low price.
>>
>>593660
>>593662
http://www.knifeworks.com/eseeknives4p-bblackbladeplainedgemicartahandleblackmoldedsheathandclipplate.aspx#.VfmpmxFViko

I don't know if comes with sheath though.
>>
>>593679
You can get it with and without, with just the kydex clip sheath its around $88, more for Molle
>>
>>593661
>>593661
Damn son you went full retard, never go full retard son.
>>
>>593681
Pretty good price anyways.
>>
>>593683
Yeap, best I've seen, I want the camp-lore though
>>
>>593672
well, if you can look past all the hate, it's actually a pretty decent knife. And that's coming from someone who actually used it, as opposed to the legions of parrots just repeating "it sucks" over and over.

>>593669
I never said i was going to baton with a prybar, but you can get a small prybar and the ability to pry with is not something i'd choose a knife for.

>>593682
nah. I had money to burn, and it was one of those "i want it because reasons" purchases that turned out to be quite decent (baring the absurd price tag), but I'm not complaining.
>>
>>593693
Pics bro? If you enjoy using it the money isn't a problem, it's all that matters. ;)

Btw in which euro country do you live?
>>
>>593658
>BK2 168 US
God am I sorry hungarybro. Herw in the UD a BK2 is a $70-80 knife. That is one hell of a markup yuropoors pay.
>>
>>593719
>UD
phone keyboards suck.
>*US
>>
>>593719
it's like this
+10-20% shipping +20% toll +10-20% sellers margin +27% vat
that's pretty much a multiplier of 2 since they build on each other.
>>
>>593726
sorry toll is actually 12% my bad
>>
>>593719
You american bros could buy it and send it back to us, you could make like 10/20$ for the work and even then it would be cheaper to us.
>>
>>593734
on a "used" item i could skip the toll and the vat for +10% + what ups charges it would totally worth it!
>>
>>593734
Got a sissiipukko you want to trade?
>>
>>593739
No but can I send you money to paypal so you can buy a survive knife for me?
>>
>>593745
would you really send money over the internet to some random guy with no established webshop not even a real name or address and no "buyer protection"?

i don't think i would too much of a poorfag to try it.
>>
File: 4.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>593713
Poland. Which isn't all that bad, considering I could legally edc the damn thing.

Pic is some of my favourite knives.
>>
>>593751
Nice. You bought that 2nd knife on the left recently, didn't you? I remember seeing it here
>>
>>593751
yup, that's my newest one. been carrying it a bit over a week, mostly opening packages, as I won't be /out/ till saturday. Does throw a mean spark though (but that's to be expected of LTWK).
>>
>>593750
Well, quite possibly I would. That's a gamble, risking 150$ yo saving like 100$
>>
>>593790
>risk 150 to win 100
i don't know what the overall chances are from random population sample but i would say pretty low out of 10 guys like 1 will actually send you the knife.
maybe i'm just too distrustful of humans but it's their logical move this is how they maximize their profit. unless they are planning on long term business in which case the first couple of items will be delivered then if it catches on they can just disappear with the money like a one man pryamid scheme.
>>
>>593803
you need to have some faith anon. I bet at least 50% of /out/ists would send it back to me.
>>
>>593661
>lold a little in disbelief then felt sorry for you :(
>>
>>593823
Honestly I'm the guy you originally asked and I would send it to you, but I'm not sure I would be willing to trust so easily

Let me look into what it actually takes to ship internationally and if it's not too much trouble I might do it

May I ask why the bk2 though?

There are other great designs, if you like that size and style I would personally go with the bk10, it's a little thinner so it will cut better and be lighter to carry but by all accounts it doesn't give up much toughness or usefulness
>>
>>593831
>May I ask why the bk2 though?
It wasn't me, I asked about a survive knife not the bk2.
>>
>>593831
i wouldn't trust anyone unless i knew they have it in their best interest to actually deliver because they are not only legally responsible but also put their name and livelihood on the line.

ebay is neat cause you kinda have some guarantees and help to deal with wrongful deliveries. but we are talking bout circumventing the law here.

for example a guy puts up an ad that he will sell you a used esee 4 for $90 but he tells you informally (like on 4chan) it's actually brand new item he buys for you especially then you buy it and get delivered a beat up crap that was jerked on you can't complain much.

so i don't know trust is important, nobody will bother to work building up that trust unless they plan on doing a long term business imho.
>>
>>593839
Which one?
>>
>>593841
I the near future I want to buy the GSO 6, but they're only available in preorder so for now I have to wait.
>>
>>593827

well that shipping was painful (ups is eeevil).
>>
>>593589
the 4 is only a 1/16" thinner (still thick enough to pry most shit, and if it isnt return the broken blade theyll replace it for free), and alot easier to handle

get it OP. buy it right from their site
>>
I'm curious what you guys are prying open/apart.
>>
>>593903
literally nothing.
>>
>>593951
i once found a fucking chest in the middle of a forest it was sitting right there in a meadow like in a video game.

it was sadly not even closed, i raided the shit out of it it got candy and chocolate bars in it and some rocks disguised as gold and silver nuggets.
>>
File: DSC00075.jpg (56KB, 784x525px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00075.jpg
56KB, 784x525px
>>593693

But anon dont you shit on me. 650$ is not a good price at all. It is not even acceptable I think

Sebenzas are the meme knife and they cost half of that.

A fucking Busse or Mission costs half of that money.

TOPS knives are 6/10s at best, and I have used my Steel Eagle too.

You could have gotten a Beck for less than that.
>>
>>593903

I was like you and I can explain.

I have pried nailed wooden boards to make a fire. I have pried some bark from trees.

I have also used the extra thickness of my knife in an emergency chopping. It was raining a lot and the fire was extinguishing. I had to pick up a thick branch and quickly chop it. I could not have done that with a thinner knife.
>>
File: tracker vs bone collector.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
tracker vs bone collector.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>594126
>You could have gotten a Beck for less than that.

tbh, shipping, tax, and customs would've hit me anyway. the "price" was 300 (and that's overpriced), but that's beside the point.
Point is - I paid a shitload of monies for it - way more than reasonable, but like that saying "time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time".

Sebongos are 550+ euro around here too.
Ah, the wonders of living in EU. On the flipside - Polish knife laws are the best - I could legally edc my tracker, or my FS (not that there's any particular reason to do that).

I'd rate tops in the 7/10 average. Like I said - the tracker is quite decent if you manage to get over the fact that the primary edge is supposed to do most of the cutting (iirc, Brown's original design called for the secondary edge to be harder, and the recess is supposed to protect it from impact while you're chopping/cutting with the primary edge). While not immediately obvious, the primary has just over 4'' of cutting edge, and a very nice belly, but a 1/4'' blade isn't going to work wonders. Still, when using that belly properly, it's a surprisingly good slicer, and the angle, though weird at first, turns out to be "just right". It's just that most of the time, it's completely redundant.

>>594127
1/4'' knives really are overkill. current trend is 1/8'' thick, ~4'' blade, or 5/32'' thick, 5'' blade, and that's quite enough.
>>
i tried to find videos of people batoning a hatchet, seems to me it would require less effort to baton a small hatchet than to chop with it and sometimes safer and more accurate.

but can't find anything why is that?
>>
>>594164
Because batoning is retarded and batoning a hatchet is double retard mode
>>
>>594166
dunno it's just a wedge if it has a very short handle (like a fiskars x5) you will tire out quick if you strike with it you can't really deliver the force that you would with a long handled axe, batoning it would be my choice but never tried it it might not work for some reason.
>>
>>594146
7/10is a reasonable average, some of their designs are easily 9/10 and every one of their knives I've seen had about a 10/10 fit and finish but the thick models tend to have thick edges, unsurprisingly
>>
>>594169

TOPSs fit and finish is 10/10 but their designs range from 2/10 to 9/10, and the steel, thick coating and price doesnt help.
>>
>>594169
there's more to it than just edge. I can easily get my tracker hair-popping sharp (it's 1095 after all, and properly heat treated), and I can slice bread with it no thicker than with my 3/32'' thick kitchen knife. But it's kind of a pointless excercise. Ars Pro Arte if you will.
>>
>>594146
What says yhe polish laws about knives?
>>
>>594210

pretty much anything goes, but if it's really large, like a machete, you need a good reason.
And you're generally beter off with CC, so as not to scare the sheeple, but we can carry fixed blades, automatic knives, any type of lock (including balisongs), gravity knives, etc.

On the opposite spectrum, are the gun laws - it takes about 11 months to get a sporting license, provided you are a member of a sporting club and take part in competitions. A self defence license requires you to actually prove that there is a reason you are more likely than usual to be attacked, and at the end of it, there is some clerk who will arbitrarily decide if it's true, or if he wants to deny you the license "because you are not at an increased risk". That on top of all the medical and psych evaluation, and a 2 part (theory and practice) exam.

Unless you want a black powder gun, then you just go and order one online.
>>
>>594223
Nice. I also live in Europe and can't complain to much, yes I can't carry balisongs or automatic knives, neither can carry something larger than 10cm blade, fixed or folder in urban environments without reason to it, but other than that I'm ok.

The laws could be better, something like yours would be neat but at least is not on the level of UK, Germany, Denmark and so on.
>>
File: Fof_colt_walker.jpg (123KB, 1800x673px) Image search: [Google]
Fof_colt_walker.jpg
123KB, 1800x673px
>>594223

Looks great to me tbh
>>
>>593676
That's the one I'd get if I were looking at esee, too bad it doesn't have a lanyard hole
>>
>>593751
Is that saw teeth on the spine of the knife on the far right?
>>
>>596346

technically. Though tops sawbacks are better suited for making square notches, than actually sawing wood (the original tracker, made by Lombi, and the Beck version, used in the hunted, had a wood saw).

Also, the first notch is deeper, and supposed to be a wire breaker, but I found it works quite well as a hook for wire handles on cups/pots, and grill grates.
>>
>>593576
Have you bought it or not? You shouldn't leave your thread behind, op.
>>
>>593576

Too thick for its length.

The 3 is much more reasonable.
>>
File: 20150213_201409.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150213_201409.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Get the 5!
>>
File: 10025523_rs.jpg (7KB, 373x273px) Image search: [Google]
10025523_rs.jpg
7KB, 373x273px
>>598125
Generally a cheaper option.
>>
>>598232
Oops, was supposed to be for>>598165
>>
>>598165

5 looks like it's shit.

No reason to get 5 instead of 6 or 4
>>
File: 1436931464960.png (19KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1436931464960.png
19KB, 499x499px
>>598165
Damn son, your knife have seen some real hard usage. We can tell by how it looks.
>>
>>598318
Come on man, everyone takes glam shots of their knives when they're new.
>>
>>594113
Some kid's dad probably set that up for his son so he could go into the woods with him and find treasure. Did you take all the stuff? :^y
>>
>>598318
>le sad frog poster
opinion discarded
>>
File: xfdrox.jpg (93KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
xfdrox.jpg
93KB, 800x600px
>>598238

Why is the 5 worse than 4 and 6?
>>
>>598340

grind. If you're gonna go with a saber grind, go high and use a 1/8 stock.

5/32 saber is way overkill.
>>
>>593637
What the fuck are you idiots using a prybar in the woods for? Seriously, you don't need to look under bigass rocks, it's gonna be mud and worms. Same as what is under small rocks.
>>
>>598356
from the top of my head:
- splitting logs is often a make a wedge and yank it and pry it apart job, unless you want it to take forever.
- pry of bark from trees or logs
- you find touchwood still strongly attached to the tree but want to dry it out for tinder i have found ones that didn't dislodge from being hit with rocks. you can cut/pry them off.
- you find a door like an abandoned cabin and want to pry the door open or dislodge boards form it, or pry off the lock.
- random item from your gear gets stuck and you have to pry it open with something like metal boxes with stuck lid or whatever
>>
File: 20150924_184055.jpg (621KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150924_184055.jpg
621KB, 2048x1152px
Esee 6 is a really nice jack of all trades knife. i use it more in my kitchen the the woods actually it is damn nice for working meat and fish. its pretty heavy though and i do wish i had bought one of their smaller models but at the price i got it at i dont have buyers remorse at all. gives me the tinglies when i fondle it. the balance is fantastic and i love the choil but now i have so many knives i cant really justify buying another Esee and i have knives that fill that role now. love the handle where it can go from jet black when its been used to almost white with just soap and a little scrub
>>
>>598375
frankly the 4 looks better than the 6 to me
i would get a 4 and a 5 in a pair if i could afford it.
4 for fine stuff 5 for fuck everything
>>
>>598390
Definitely get the one you want anon. I would also have bought the ESSE 4 instead of the 6 if it was available to me at the time
>>
>>593661
Did you even try to find a European source?
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tops-tom-brown-tracker-21112-p.asp
>>
>>593751

What's the second knife from the left in that photo? It looks really nice
>>
>>593576
get a mora
>>
>>598676
Lt wright handcrafted knives coyote with desert ironwood handles.
>>
>>593605
but you get a lifetime warranty that they honor regardless of how you break it
>>
>>599645
Shipping to get a replacement will likely cost you 1/3 of the knife though, at least that's what I pay to get stuff sent to me also the other knife he mentioned, you're gonna have a hell of a time breaking a 3v blade.
>>
>>593576
I like the 4 and 3, either would be a good choice
>>
>>598340
The 5 is way too thick to make a good slicing knife and its as heavy as longer knives like the 6
>>
>>603612
Thats because the 5 was purpose built not to be a camp knife.
>>
>>603613
>pry bar
>>
>>593576
They are definitely woworworth it
>>
>>593840
Some people do have a sense of honor and aren't driven by financial considerations all the time, are you still in middle school?
>>
>>593840
I have bought hundreds and hundreds of items online. Every time I do my best so that the seller (or buyer) will be happy.

I don't foolishly trust anyone, but sometimes you have to take chances, if you really want to buy something.

Somehow everything (ok, almost everything) works out every time.

Most crooks don't speak my language and even when they do, they don't appear like normal people.

Tbh if the seller or buyer has a white name it always works well. If it's Ahmed or Mahmud it doesn't. I'm not a racist but this is how it is.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.