[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/, what's the best bugout/innawoods backpack that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 13

File: 71tRHg4fi7L._SY355_.jpg (27KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
71tRHg4fi7L._SY355_.jpg
27KB, 355x355px
Hey /out/, what's the best bugout/innawoods backpack that money can buy? Longterm durability is the first consideration followed by lightness of material weight. I'd also prefer it to have a midrange capacity of 30-40 L +/- 5 L.

Money really is no consideration here so no poorfag stuff pls. I want the best.
>>
I prefer the brands 5.11 and tasmanian tiger, then its up to you to find the model you like the most.
I have a 5.11 rush 24, and love it!
>>
>>1096421
I had been looking at the Rush 24, but a military guy I know said 5.11 backpacks are for airshitters and the straps would have broken within weeks in Iraq just by being continously slung over a vehicle rail.
>>
>>1096424
Can't really comment on that, i only use mine for EDC and innawoods...
It can carry ALOT of weight, ive litterally filled it with textbooks several times to the point i was scared it would break, but its still fine :)
But yeah, maybe the straps arent superior, but i dont know a better brand.

First time i heard about the rush pack was on /out/ or /k/, where a guy said he had used his for like 9 months is towelland, so it cant be that bad..
>>
>>1096426
in towelland*
>>
>>1096426
Straps on tactical backpacks are often thinner than they are on civilian packs so that you can shoulder a rifle while wearing it.
>>
>best bugout bag
The same bag you would take long range hiking.
Im not taking some tacticool 5.11 bag when i go out for a week.
Why would i swap to one in a sudden emergency.

In my case im taking my fjallraven kajka 100 and going inna mountain
>>
Berghaus Centurio 45. Extendable to 75 with side pockets.

Best fucking backpack in that size I have ever owned. Indestructible.
>>
>>1096430
You still see a lot of outdoor people switching to military style packs, they might be a bit heavier, but many prefer the compartmentalization of those types of packs.
I mean, most "civilian" packs are usually 1 large compartment maybe with a pocket on either side.
and tacticool packs have a lot of pockets/mesh nets etc for organising.
I think its up to preference, i like that i can have a specific pocket for each type of utility, so i dont have to dig up everything from my pack, to get to something that found its way to the bottom.
But again, im no way close to being an expert. i get that if you have to hike for long periods of time, weight is an important factor as well.
>>
>>1096433
I find the ergonomics of 5.11 and other similar bags to be absolutely atrocious.

I can understand your point about compartments but if you properly pack your bag you shouldnt have any problem finding what you need
>>
>>1096424
They are fine for urban light EDC. They are not that bad as your friend say, but they are not adequate for that price point. I have Rush 12 for carrying small shit to work.

Cannae bags are awesome. Especially Phalanx.
>>
File: 20170908_075325.jpg (2MB, 1836x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170908_075325.jpg
2MB, 1836x1836px
>>1096424
I've been using a rush 24 v1 for over a year at my job. Everything is still in one piece. Usually walk around with 25lbs in it.

Wouldn't surprise me if a welfare queen didn't know how to handle a backpack...being slung over a vehicle rail...no idea what that means but since they're "back" packs I'll assume he did something dumb.

I also have another 5.11 24 v2 for outing, i would recommend the v2 and not the v1 for outing. There are differences, look then up.

As far as airshitters, i thought Condor was their go-to.
5.11 makes good quality stuff as far as backpacks, shirts, pants, and gloves go. Can't say I've used anything else.

>>1096433
Tons of good points

>>1096436
literally a nothing comment
>>
>>1096433
>You still see a lot of outdoor people switching to military style packs,
Not really, those packs are heavy, uncomfortable and for most out hobbies not well suited.
Matter of fact you only see them pop up here when there is another "bug out bag" thread and they are mentioned by guys who don't really go out.
>gimmick for weekend warriors who fell for the mole meme
>>
>>1096419
http://www.armslist.com/blog/opinion/california-25-years-later?utm_source=c000032&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p394691
http://www.armslist.com/inside?utm_source=c000032&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p394691
http://www.armslist.com/blog/gear?utm_source=c000032&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p394691
>>
>>1096424
You can get a Yukon Outfitters Alpha Bag for under $50 (sometimes cheaper when they show up on woot.com).
It is a high quality knockoff of the 5.11 rush 24.
>>
File: baggo.jpg (631KB, 898x1041px) Image search: [Google]
baggo.jpg
631KB, 898x1041px
I'm also using Rush 12 as a EDC. I traded it some three years ago for mechanix gloves, beers and a zippo copy. It is fairly rugged, I think there is some good stitching. I'm not sure how it would fare in some prolonged combat scenario/patrol activity, but I'm fairly confident in it. It's a fucking backpack, you don't need gucci gear.

I'm now looking at >>1096447 Cannae as well for some sc/out/ing. I don't like black backpack in nature.
>>
File: IMG_20170908_1446098.jpg (3MB, 4056x2704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170908_1446098.jpg
3MB, 4056x2704px
Mine is an edc mainly work and dog walks (5-7km) although it doubles as my day pack while camping. It carries everything you see here and either my laptop or about 8 beers. For it 2012 or 2013 can't remember when. It outlasted all my other bags by several years. Not immensely comfy but sturdy as fuck. I'll use the Berghaus wilderness for backpacking. People here like to rag on 5.11 and the only terrible products i've had of theirs is their shoes/boots breaking in weeks not years. My bag is showing signs of wear n tear a little in the shoulders and those leather scuff patches at the bottom and are all scuffed out but that's not an issue to me.
>>
File: IMG_20170908_1439500.jpg (3MB, 4056x2704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170908_1439500.jpg
3MB, 4056x2704px
>>1096474
>5.11 makes good quality stuff as far as backpacks, shirts, pants,
Seconding this love their stryke tdu pants and my operator belt
Pic shows scuff pads worn out
>>
File: IMG_20170908_1440077.jpg (3MB, 4056x2704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170908_1440077.jpg
3MB, 4056x2704px
>>1096531
And here showing wear n tear on straps
>>
File: arcteryx-leaf-khard45-21.jpg (241KB, 1000x803px) Image search: [Google]
arcteryx-leaf-khard45-21.jpg
241KB, 1000x803px
>>1096419
I have a Arc'teryx Khard 30
It really is a great bag.

http://www.carryology.com/bags/road-tests-arcteryx-khard-30/
>>
>>1096424
been using a rush 24 since 2009. it's been in the jungle in malaysia, on camels in the uae, dive boats in the med, and walkabout in china... as well as me lugging it around in the uk.

it's lost the stiffness it had when new long ago but is in remarkable condition for the abuse it's stood up to. no loose stitching outside, minor stray threads here and there inside on the mesh pockets (no rips or holes) the internal pocket system you will either find mad annoying or a massive help.once you've got your gear selected it's easy to arrange everlasting so it's all in place and you know here to go fore each type of 'thing' you're carrying ( eg sections dedicated for 1st aid kit, one for a poncho, one for your cook kit and so on)

drawbacks...

it's not very comfortable when over stuffed- its' the mk1 version without hip belt. i carry it with up to about 13kg ( most commonly around 8kg fora day hike) in it but more than that and i feel you're pushing it to make it a comfortable wear to walk with for more than a couple of miles

the clamshell design can take a bit of getting used to if you're a top opening pack, particularly if your'e trying to close it when it's near full (say stuffing a fleece in it or something)

weight- at 1.35kg dry weight on a sub 40ltr pack it's heavy that 1000d nylon might be bomb proof but it adds up. there is a big molle field on the back along with smaller ones down the sides but don't go all mall ninja it just packs on the kgs start fuckin' around with pouches and you can double that 1.35kg with ease. i keep a rolled up dump pouch on the centreg back panel of mine for just for stuffing my wet poncho into, gathering kindling or foraging with and that's it.

despite the niggles with it, it's by far the best bag i've ever owned, the damn thing just wont die.
>>
>>1096419
>Hey /out/, what's the best bugout/innawoods backpack that money can buy?
Even with the same specifications different bags would be better for different people. The best backpack doesn't exist.

>Money really is no consideration here so no poorfag stuff pls. I want the best.
Then go to rei or a similar business and get fitted for a pack and purchase it from them.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8KB, 195x259px
The military style bags are nice if you need something super durable, if you don't plan on really taking care of your stuff and abusing it. They can take a beating for sure.

They're awful I'd you actually plan on carrying it while hiking. Bad ergonomics, no real suspension system, no frame usually. They just aren't meant for long distance hiking.

On the flip side, most lighter weight packs designed for hiking aren't that durable. You have to take care of them. They aren't fragile, but if you're throwing them around and tossing them in the back of a truck, they can rip.

A nice compromise is something like a Kelty Redwing 50. I have one, it's very durable. Also has multiple compartments to organize gear. It's also pretty cheap (as low as $65 for the last version).
>>
>>1096527
legionbro?
>>
File: IMG_8116.jpg (130KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8116.jpg
130KB, 1155x1155px
just
>>
>>1096419
maxpedition falcon II
>>
File: 1222258645.gif (2MB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
1222258645.gif
2MB, 500x272px
>>1096419
avoid milbags and their knock off's..
>>
File: 2882059240c600916c.jpg (842KB, 2000x1700px) Image search: [Google]
2882059240c600916c.jpg
842KB, 2000x1700px
Savotta Jääkäri
>>
>>1097713
Aye. Was.
>>
>>1096533

Mine did the same thing. Melted it really quickly with a lighter, that was the end of that issue.
>>
>>1097692

>The best backpack doesn't exist.

Clearly you've never tried the flextrek whipsnake.
>>
>>1098441
Where you from? How was life in the legion? Planning on joining next year. Any advice or insights?
>>
Kifaru or Stone Glacier

Hunting packs >> Tacticool packs
>>
>>1096419
Does anyone think eureka describes an epiphany…
>>
>>1098575
I was issued a Kifaru Mountain Warrior tactical pack (roughly $500 pack). It ripped through the side within 3 months because military radios have sharp corners and they used like 210D non-ripstop nylon for the dedicated radio pouch so the top corners of the radio abraded through the side of the pack. Also, the empty pack was like 13lbs.

I literally would not use a Kifaru pack if it were given to me for free any more.

If you want a hunting pack, go with Mystery Ranch or Eberlestock. If you want a backpacking pack, stick with the better backpacking brands and find one that fits well.
>>
>>1098541
I'm now civilian security contractor. It's a good job, when you catch up with some better gig.

>Any advice or insights?
Join up during the summer. No winter, no spring, no fall. Early summer.
Don't learn French before going. Or if you do, don't admit it.
Run. A lot. And then some more.
Get your teeth fixed.
Enlist either directly in Aubagne or if not possible, in Paris.
Know which regiment and why do you want to join from the day 1. Never change those when asked.
During all interviews and later interrogations - be truthful, honest, but reply if possible on yes/no/don't know basis.
Learn ranks and code d'honneur du legionnaire if you want to save up some time later.
During pre-selection and selection and generally; help others, be friendly, mingle, don't stand around like a sore thumb. Always finish the work you were given as quickly and well as possible and ask for more. But don't be a brownnose.
If you are American (or westerner in general) when asked about your financial situation back home, tell them you had a minimal wage or been unemployed or some stuff like that.
And generally as in every other military the most important rule: keep your mouth shut, do as you are told and try not to think about the logical sense of given orders. Embrace the suck and you will be fine.

I could probably think of more. If you want to know more, ask. It's a good experience and after a year or two a good life.
>>
>>1096419
I just bought a Vaude asymetric 52+8 bag on STP for $100.

only downside I can think of is a lot of the material is 210D so it won't play well with sharp/hard edges of heavier gear. but for a bob it'd be good, especially if you got a bladder for it
>>
>>1098792
Thank you. I'm American, definitely debate learning French beforehand and whether or not it'd be used against me in the beginning. What regiment were you? Should I mention I have a bachelor's degree?
>>
>>1098792
>>1098847
Also, will they want any prior-military paperwork or can I just keep it to myself?
>>
>>1098847
>definitely debate learning French beforehand and whether or not it'd be used against me in the beginning
It wouldn't be used against you per se, but the whole pre-selection and selection will be much more difficult, as you would have two to five other non-french speaking guys to care about. Anything they fuck up will fall on your shoulders.

>What regiment were you?
1er REC. Cavalry.

>Should I mention I have a bachelor's degree?
Definitely. It is basically somewhat a job interview, so try to sell yourself as best you can. Highest reached education, your licenses etc. But don't look too clever or educated or successful. FFL is averse against too successful people, because they will run away when things start to get sucky. If you are American, the basic idea is to make you as much of a loser without actually looking like a real loser. They want guys who have nowhere else to go, because those won't go civil once uncomfortable. That is why I recommend saying something between the lines of the minimum wage. And that is why Americans are not that much liked in the FFL; when you say to the NCO you were paid three times better back home than him, you already pissed someone - even if it was truth. This is also the reason the FFL is mostly people from the South America and Eastern Europe.

>>1098852
If you served in American military, they will already know once you hit the gestapo interviews. Not sure about the paperwork, I would probably recommend taking it with you. However be prepared to be longer in pre-selection and selection process if you served, especially if you was deployed. They usually check the volunteers with prior military experience longer and much more in detail. If there is no problem, then it usually takes about two weeks, when you have prior military experience, then up to three weeks and more.
>>
>>1098863
Thanks for all the info bro. Do you have any say in the regiment you train for or does the legion send you where they need you?
>>
>>1098864
No probs, fellow sc/out/.

>Do you have any say in the regiment you train for or does the legion send you where they need you?
During the bootcamp/basic all your performance is measured and archived. One of the reasons why is that depending on your results, you will be able to pick up the regiment. Usually first ten best guys have guaranteed they will end up in the regiment they wanted. After that the chance is gradually getting lower and lower. But if you are not particularly bad, you will probably end up where you want. However if the Legion needs, it can of course send you somewhere else no matter how you scored.

Also if you are seriously considering going 2e REP, do really think about it again real good. The biggest desertion rate is there for a very good reason.

Also check the Cervens forum. Good info, serving legionnaires and ex-legionnaires.
>>
Fällkniven Kanker if you don't want to be seen as some weird neckbeard poorfag.
>>
Look at Hill People Gear, they make terrific durable packs with great suspension and their belt system has developed really nicely.

Seriously, I love this shit. Not only durable but also very simple and versatile. Pictured is their Tarahumara and 'Kit Bag'. The Tara was kind of their first day pack but also can be docked on the back of their larger packs as a quick access pocket and compression panel. Some of their stuff has Molle options but it's not overdone.
>>
>>1099026
hello, shill
>>
>>1099048
>he likes a product and told me about it! He must be a shill!

Sadly they only have two paid shills that I know of and they are way more /out/ than I will ever be. I just like their shit because I rely on it for work and abuse the crap out of it, and it fits OPs criteria and price freedom.
>>
>>1099026
>$400 bag
>weighs 7lbs

Dude what the fuck? Did they use cast iron as the frame or something?
>>
>>1099310
>muh ultralite
>>
>>1099310
This. I've found my major complaint with a lot of outdoor gear is that it lasts far too long. How am I supposed to keep up with the latest colors and styles if my pack doesn't have holes in it after a few seasons? LOOKS MATTER, PEOPLE. If you don't look fresh on the trail, all your followers are gonna know you're not a real backpacker!
>>
>>1099314
>>1099347
not that I'm some kind of bag expert but the materials look to be the same as every other overnight sack, higher grade aluminum but that's it.

I just don't get where the extra weight comes from, does it have a shitload of zippers and buckles?
>>
>>1099310
Serious stitching and fabric. Also their zippers are great.

OP wanted something that could be abused, this fits the bill. I'll go ultralight on a lot of stuff but not the thing I'm carrying it all in.
>>
>>1099390
>does it have a shitload of zippers and buckles?
Yes. Way too many, because it's a "tactical" pack. Which means it was designed by an arachnid with a BDSM fetish.
>>
>>1099554
>implying the difference between "serious" stitching and chinkshit sweatshop stitching in a daypack isn't sub-1oz
>implying it isn't the exact same 350D Cordura every other non-ultralite pack is sewn from
>>
>>1099390
Most of their bags are hypalon or 1000d cordura. There are more buckles than some packs since they almost all work as part of a compression system. But not many compartments, part of their design philosophy is simplicity and versatility so it's more or less intended that you use stuff sacks or whatever.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.