[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Forests of the world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15

File: IMG9578721.jpg (366KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG9578721.jpg
366KB, 2048x1536px
Forested area by square km
>Canada
4.9 million
>united states
3.2 million

Most forested european country
>sweden
280 thousand square km

LOL

Sure as ever loving fuck sucks to be European hahahababa
>>
File: Europe forêts 1.jpg (3MB, 3511x2484px) Image search: [Google]
Europe forêts 1.jpg
3MB, 3511x2484px
Fuck I want to bite so hard
Maybe we could just make fun of the Brits instead ?
>>
But what's the ratio of forest to total land?
>>
File: forêt UE %.png (29KB, 316x561px) Image search: [Google]
forêt UE %.png
29KB, 316x561px
>>1096043
The numbers are in metric
>>
>>1096025
>Russia
>8 850 000 km2

Treelets btfo
>>
File: euro forest.png (3MB, 2167x977px) Image search: [Google]
euro forest.png
3MB, 2167x977px
>>1096036
>want to bite
This is why tho
>>
File: Europe usa.png (33KB, 1098x541px) Image search: [Google]
Europe usa.png
33KB, 1098x541px
>>1096062
Was being shit at maths part of your plan ?
>>
>>1096067
>maths
Yes, being shit at something that's routinely improperly spelled was part of my plan.

Ya got me.
>>
>>1096073
>Ya

So you are shit at spelling as well, we should get along
>>
>>1096036

I want to bite even harder but I still managed to get a job as a Forester in the UK so I guess let's just make fun of Ireland?
>>
File: Vale of Llangollen.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Vale of Llangollen.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>1096088
>but I still managed to get a job as a Forester in the UK

I respect that
>>
File: P1060844-1.jpg (2MB, 2004x1504px) Image search: [Google]
P1060844-1.jpg
2MB, 2004x1504px
>>1096025
Rate my local forest /out/
>>
>>1096107
blue/10
>>
>>1096088
What size is your forest?
>>
File: check.jpg (34KB, 800x472px) Image search: [Google]
check.jpg
34KB, 800x472px
>>1096111
Not as large as those digits
>>
>>1096107
comfy/10
>>
>>1096025

Should also include animals in these stats to then absolutely destroy Europe. You guys across the pond really need to get it together when it comes to conservation. Hunting culture would help but probobly mostly too late for that because of the class-divisive view of hunting in Europe.
>>
>>1096170
You know when you say Europe it also means you include Northern , Eastern and Southern Europe. There's a huge hunting culture in those countries and it's not class-divisive in any way.
>>
>>1096113
20 hectares?
>>
File: P1060905.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P1060905.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>1096170
>Hunting culture would help but probobly mostly too late for that because of the class-divisive view of hunting in Europe

I don't know what you mean by "class divisive view" but I live in rural France and know a fuckton of hunters tho

Also I don't think we are this bad when it comes to conservation. It's just we've been doing mankind and civilization stuff for a very long time so real wilderness is gone
You can't really compare a continent that was slowly settled the last 300 years to Europe where during the late Roman times the ancient forests such as the Hercynian forest were already being altered by humans

I'm also aware that North America was inhabited, and that despite what many people think the Indians were good enough at fucking with nature. But certainly not on the same scale as Europe during the Middle-Ages

tl:dr: Ye we need to get it together but it should have happened a long time ago, laws now are alright considering how crowded we are

Here, have a forest pic for the long post
>>
>>1096187
Merely owning a firearm in England requires a lot of time and money.

Hunting with one requires even more time and money, and access to private land, which usually costs even more money.

Firearms in England are for the wealthy. Hunting with firearms in England are for the landed nobility and anybody they deem worthy to hunt on their land (which has historically only been other wealthy people).
>>
>>1096187

You guys do have a good sporting culture in France as far as I can tell from research and stuff. I would really like to visit the rural France. I've been to Paris and all that (also a great place) but of course didn't get a dose of the hunting/wilderness culture of France while there. What I said doesn't apply everywhere I'm sure but places like the UK where hunting is definitely a "nobleman" thing historically. One of the reasons we have such a big hunting culture and public land culture here in America is because we wanted to directly oppose that sort of thing.
>>
File: armes.png (957KB, 809x769px) Image search: [Google]
armes.png
957KB, 809x769px
>>1096195
I'm not gonna lie I don't know the details of firearms laws in France, other that they require a licence
But here it's pretty much the opposite, hunting is for the "peasants". If you talk about hunting with a French guy he won't think about fancy lads riding horses with 20 dogs preceding them. He'll think about his uncle Gégé the farmer that sometimes gather with more farmers to drink wine and shoot up some boars, then drink more wine and eat saucisson.
Pretty common in the small mountains near where I live. Anecdotal evidence for sure but still, hunting is legit still a popular thing in the right places. Heck when I lived on the Mediterranean in a 5000 people town my neighbour had hunting rifles and one of my friend's dad still has several hanging in the kitchen, and it wasn't even the countryside

Also map related, I don't know how reliable they can be but it doesn't seem unreasonable

That's declared firearms of course, I don't know who has more guns between our rednecks or the gypsies
>>
File: Cévennes automne paysage.jpg (348KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Cévennes automne paysage.jpg
348KB, 1200x900px
>>1096208
Well as you already know you can't really expect pristine places in Western Europe but yeah France still has comfy places for such activities

In my case it's in southern France, I don't hunt myself but in the Ardèche, Cévennes mountains and basically all the southern end of the Massif Central range are nice forests where hunting is popular. I always loved how you go from the crowded seaside and vineyards to cows, forests and mountains in an hour drive.
>>
>>1096211
>Also map related, I don't know how reliable they can be but it doesn't seem unreasonable
Those numbers are way high across the board if that's supposed to be civilian ownership and not counting military arms in the hands of the uniformed militaries. There's fewer than 13 million legally owned firearms in the entire EU, and most of those are in the Czech Republic.
>>
>>1096217
I've heard Czech Republic like its guns yeah
Honestly I'm not gonna pretend I know, it's just a map I've seen several times
My point is mostly that I've seen firearms more than once in my life, no idea what the nation wide numbers are, and they would probably be rendered useless with all the unregistered ones I've also seen
>>
>>1096195
>>1096208

Also thanks for clarifying that class divide stuff
>>
>>1096062
This doesn't seem to include orchards for fruit and nut trees in the central valley of the US. Seriously, it's like a god damn forest around here.
>>
>>1096211
>the best countries have the most guns
noggin is joggin
>>
The Canada number probaby shrunk because BC is on fire right now rip
>>
>>1096067
>continuous
please
>>
>>1096111

3000 acres plus all the ornamental and roadside trees o we a 60,000 acre estate.
>>
>>1096222

Not that guy but having worked on three separate shooting estates in England and Scotland and I feel like he's presented you with a very one sided and embittered argument.
>>
>>1096352
Canada is literally on fire every year, this is nothing new.
>>
http://www.wri.org/blog/2017/05/we-discovered-18-million-square-miles-forest-desert
>>
>>1096429
He put the contiguous in his shit map so I dont see why I'd put Alaska to help his case
>>
>TFW Canadian
How can the rest of the world even compare
>>
>>1096525

Slap some anti dumping taxes on your sorry ass

https://www.rt.com/business/400873-russia-lumber-up-canada-us/

>The US increased tariffs on Canadian softwood after the countries failed to reach an agreement on cutting Canadian duties on US dairy products, which are 270 percent.

>270%

Haha, that explains why milk is $1.80 a gallon here and $6 in Trudeau land
>>
>>1096532
>Drinking milk
Welp that doesnt effect me.
Still can't compare the the perfect land that Canada is we got snow long rolling plains mountains forests everything
>>
>>1096536
>perfect land that Canada is
>does Canada have nice beaches?
I have never thought about Canada's beaches. I'm sure you have some nice coastal beaches and during the summer they are probably quite nice. When I think of Canada I never thing of warm beaches, only forests and snow covered mountains.
I love coastal towns. Outer banks and crystal coast of NC as example. Cant have perfect land without some prime coast line.
>>
>>1096457

There is no public land hunting in the UK. That is the argument.
>>
>>1096542
Canada has nice beaches but they are very cold.

>Inb4 I love freezing my nutsack
>>
>>1096650
Lmao you never polar dip? That's so much fun
>>
>>1096542
We got great beaches best time to swim is in the winter desu if you got warm blood your will be fine
>>
>>1096025
It's not like there's a shortage of places to be /out in Europe, but if it makes you feel better then keep on living in your dream world.

>muh fitty trillion square miles of forest
>can only visit 2 of it
>rest is private property
>>
>>1096700
>he thinks its private property

Oh and im in the dream world
>>
>>1096700

>Comparing North American public lands to European public lands and thinking Europe comes close.

Come on now.
>>
>>1096170
your lack of basic historical knowledge and context is disturbing
>>
>>1096777

Are you trying to bait or what? Please explain how the North American Model isn't the best/most successful model of conservation in history?
>>
>>1096532
Enjoy your overpriced wood for rebuilding after all those hurricane.
You can't even produce enough for yourself. Everyone is cheering here since you will need lots of woods.
:^)
>>
>>1097065
>>1096187
>>
>>1097155

What the heck are you trying to say? Yes France has a very substantial hunting culture compared to the rest of Europe, spain and Finland as well but they are still not remotely like the North American Model of conservation as founded and championed by our hunting culture. It is totally different and in many/moat places in Europe hunting is absolutely an activity associated with the rich. But even in places where it is not it still does not at all historically have the conservation-bent that North American hunting culture has; until very recently because of the influence of said North American hunting culture. Look up the Pitmann Robertson Act for one extremely simple.ole example out of many. And then, as stated many times, compare North American public lands to Europe. Even in places in Europe where hunting isn't a huge class divide it is still something done on private land almost exclusively.
>>
>>1097157
Hunting in Europe is done on private land exclusively? Well no, at least in the Nordic countries hunting is not a class divide and definitely not "exclusively done on private land".

Look up the "everyman's right".
>>
>>1097157
What the heck are YOU tring to say. Why are you even talking about hunting ?

Here let me put it simply:

Europe: very old, much deforestation, many species lost since a several millenias before Colombus even stepped foot in the New World

America: young, settled late, muh trees and muh animals were living ok while Europe was already fucking with their nature for centuries

The model of preservation is irrelevant since before preservation was even a thing the continent was already altered beyond repair.
OF COURSE North America has more public lands and they are in better shape, it's fucking empty while Europe is fucking crowded and humans have been at it for a very long time.
>>
>>1097219

You didn't answer the question. Also the right to roam/everyman's right isn't even remotely close to NA public land rights.

And in case you missed it I acknowledge that some countries in Europe are better then others when it comes to this but still fall massively short of the North American Model of conservation. I don't know how you can argue against that when it is based on science, not emotion. North America is exponentially more wild and filled with far more (and more diverse) fauna then Europe as a result.

You can continue to defend faulty systems or you can help change yours for the better and begin to re-wild Europe.

https://www.rewildingeurope.com

http://www.rewildingbritain.org.uk
>>
>>1097220

Yes no kidding. How is any fo that an argument against what I said? I didn't give reasons why; I just said America is superior as a wildlife model and Europe can now use the NA Model to improve their conservation efforts.

Or you can just say it's impossible because people have lived their forever.
>>
>>1097222
>I just said America is superior as a wildlife model

True, but what bothers me is when you say NA model of preservation is better. How so ? As far as I know we have decent laws here.
I know a fuckton of wildlife reserves, regional natural parks, and other different ways to preserve nature biodiversity here. My point is that unlike what some said, the reason we have less wildlife isn't because of our laws. They are alright. Europe isn't devoid of environmental laws, far from it (and that depends which countries, we aren't a single entity just yet).
Meanwhile I hear about fracking in the USA, rivers in Colorado that turn red out of chemicals, massive deforastations, huge energy consumption, a staggering amount of cars by inhabitants, people have thousands of grass lawns in the middle of the desert...

I know North America are pioneers in preservation actually, first national parks, the whole outdoor culture that can be seen in literature... But truth is nowadays from the other side of the Atlantic you don't seem to care about environment.

This place is special since it attracts lovers of outdoors, leave no trace etc... But outside of here I never considered North America to be a model in environment matters.

So I don't see how taking up NA regulations in matters of wildlife would help. The situation are very different
>>
>>1097219
Swede here, you're confusing everymans right with our hunting laws. Hunting IS exclusively done on private land and the land owner decides who gets to hunt there. You are NOT allowed to freely hunt on others land.

That said, it isn't really a class issue. Sure, the urban poor cannot afford to rent hunting rights on anothers land but a lot of low to mid income people in the more rural areas hunt.
>>
>>1096090
Did you take this picture? Where abouts is this?
>>
>>1097498
No I didn't, I saved it from an Anon in the UK, I sometimes drop by in UK thread to ask for pics
It's the Vale of Llangollen, Wales I think
>>
>>1096088
thinking of doing forestry at uni

love the subject but is it worth doing?
>>
>>1097231
Even the EPA and national Forest service work on wrecking the environment here
>>
File: 2017-09-10 18.35.52.png (13KB, 327x154px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-10 18.35.52.png
13KB, 327x154px
Kentucky represent
>>
>>1096195
You take the eurostar to France and go bowhunting thete.
>>
File: prales1.jpg (178KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
prales1.jpg
178KB, 800x600px
I fucking love our forests. Czech Republic.
>>
>>1096217
what?
13 million ? that seem retarded low
germany alone has 6-7 million legal registered guns
( and even more non registered guns old guns from the war and later that never got registered are estimated to be up 20 million. think grandpas revolver, rifle in the basement)

czech 800k-1000k france 2.8m finland 1,8m
most countries have between 1-3 m in the eu

if you add them all, its more then 13m im to lazy to count but here you have all numbers >http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/fileadmin/docs/A-Yearbook/2007/en/Small-Arms-Survey-2007-Chapter-02-annexe-1-EN.pdf

>>1098799
indeed very nice forests so much wilder / natural then germany
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.