[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discuss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_5848.jpg (47KB, 1321x628px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5848.jpg
47KB, 1321x628px
Discuss.
>>
Well in my opinion, I'd say it's an American retail and outdoor recreation services corporation that sells sporting goods, camping gear, travel equipment, and clothing.
>>
The dividend is amazing
>>
People like to rip on them for being overpriced, but I think they are ok. They carry a bunch of good gear that you don't see at Dick's or other outdoor sports stores. They used to have an amazing return policy, but that was unfortunately ruined by a bunch of selfish pricks. Similarly, selfish people who go to physical stores to try out all the gear and then order from another online store because they might save $5. That's a good way to ensure there's no places to try out gear before using it in the future.

Also the garage sales are pretty nice at REI locations in major cities. Haven't been in a while though as I haven't really needed anything from them (might be worse since they stopped the amazing return policy).
>>
>The dividend is amazing
How do people spend enough money here for that to matter? Are people really replacing all their gear every year or some shit?
>>
>>1095829
I have an REI credit cards that I use for most of my purchases so I get dividend from that.
>>
>>1095821
Yuppies.
Although the older gear is good and some if the new stuff is ok.
>>
great place to showroom things before buying them online for 30% less
>>
>>1095829
A lot of what they sell is consumable (either as actual food, or stuff that regardless of quality wears out rapidly--like climbing chalk, ropes, etc).

>>1095874
>30% less
Only if you're buying used or stolen. REI is within 15% of the cheapest online price on 99% of their shit, and within 5% of 70%+ of their shit.
>>
Is backcountry better than rei, in terms of online shopping?
>>
>>1095821
People on this board shit on REI a bit too much. Most of their prices are straight forward, still cheaper than direct from manufacturer, and comparable to most shit online if you factor in shipping costs. Great to try on and compare products to each other, and they have pretty good sales every once in a while. Their "REI Co-op" brand gear is pretty good, comparable to something like Kelty I think, but the prices are pretty much the same or within $5-10, so you might as well go with the brand name you want to buy. Return Policy is, return anything for a refund or exchange within 365 days of original purchase, but you have to have proof of purchase + all tags and boxes. There will be overpriced shit, sure; there's overpriced shit online too.

Having a membership is grounds for good dividend returns, especially if you have a credit card with them. They say on the site that they will "make a donation" to the National Forest Foundation any time you make a purchase, but they don't say how much that is - still more than Chase Bank is going to do, so take that for what it's worth I suppose.

Some of the employees actually know what they are talking about as well, so you can get a decent bit of information from them on new hobbies you're picking up or wanting to get in to.

All in all it's not too bad to shop there. I don't like paying for shipping or waiting for a package to arrive, and I like to try out products before ordering them online. I also much prefer the convenience of returning anything I want to return right to a physical store instead of boxing + shipping off something, then dealing with customer support tickets, etc.

Almost everything I said above can be applied to Cabela's as well.
>>
>>1095821
I got some merino wool base layer stuff from them. Worth the extra cost, because I got exactly what I wanted and what I thought I was buying. I only ordered online though. Never been to any of their stores. Currently saving up for more merino wool base layer stuff.
>>
>>1095952
I've worked for both and shopped at both, BC carries a lot of brands that REI doesn't but on the matching items they price about the same.

The nice thing about REI is being able to return stuff at the store rather than having to ship it back. REI still has a better return policy, too. Backcountry still has the standard "must still have tags attached" retail return policy.

Steep & Cheap is better than the REI clearance site, though.
>>
Good for clothing sales only. Their backpacking gear is for casuals and far too heavy.
>>
I got a Marmot Precip for $60 and free shipping, so I'm satisfied.
>>
File: STP.jpg (225KB, 2700x725px) Image search: [Google]
STP.jpg
225KB, 2700x725px
>>1095821
BE GONE THOT
>>
>>1095821
Best girl
>>
>>1095964
REI Co-op brand blows the absolute fuck out of Cabelas brand. Everything I've ever bought that was Cabelas brand has broken somehow.

>>1095982
I usually only buy my Osprey packs from BC. That way I can get the colors I want and a fuckin cool ass goat sticker. I return the pack straight to Osprey if something happens to it. Also, the BC gear experts are pretty awesome.
>>
>>1096264
>a fuckin cool ass goat sticker

this, it's worth just for this, desu
>>
REI promotes sexism (woman's only classes and events and disregards any for men only).

I haven't been shopping there nearly as much as I used to and feel less guilty returning stuff to them.
>>
>>1098091
Last time I went to an REI, I had an eye-opening experience.

I walk in, and all the employees are women. I look up at the advertisement posters, and it's all pictures of young women going on hikes together. I look at the interior, and notice that at least 60% of the floorspace is dedicated to women's clothing. While I was browsing the buckles section, I overheard a young couple's conversation.

>Chick: "Do you think this one is good?"
>Dude: "Yeah, looks fine."
>Chick: "I like this one a lot too, what do you think?"
>Dude: "I think it would be great."
>Chick: "And what about this one? I like how it has extra straps."
>Dude: "Yeah it's a good choice."

REI is for women.
>>
>>1095821
>Yuppieland,inc.
I buy from them probably once a year.
>>
My REI shorts are the best shorts I've ever owned.
>>
I can say that I've had good experiences shopping at REI. The prices good for what you get, and they have a decent selection. Plus the staff at the store I went to were very friendly and super helpful.
>>
File: Glazed Pasteries.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Glazed Pasteries.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>1098091
There's nothing wrong with sexism. In fact, you should be proud of what gender you are.

>>1098229
>>1098244
This is largely true. Best to order from them online, if you are male. Store shopping is more of a social event and mostly done by groups of women.

>had to put on some merino wool base layer pants this morning
>40F in the house

Fuck this weather.
>>
The REI-brand products are fucking amazing. I find that their rucksacks and tents are great for their cost. But I also know way too many gearheads that shop there and never actually go /out/. Like, kid, why the fuck did you drop $800 on a cargo box to place on your Subie Foz and never actually use it? Why did you buy an ultralight 2 person tent for backpacking but never actually go hiking???? I wish I had that much disposable income.
>>
>>1095827
>That's a good way to ensure there's no places to try out gear before using it in the future.

Daily reminder that ecommerce is the future regardless of what you think.

Nordstrom is creating it's first ecommerce retail store. It will allow people to try on clothing and sizing, fit, look, etc. however none of it will be purchasable. It'll simply be an extension for their online inventory.

I can see more retail locations such as REI following this model.
>>
>>1098465
>Go to store to get clothes
>Have to wait two days to actually get it

Hmmm
>>
File: e93.jpg (72KB, 1200x740px) Image search: [Google]
e93.jpg
72KB, 1200x740px
Your all a bunch of cum(sumer) guzzling wage slaves. Quit this bullshit brand-loyalty "must buy latest trinket" shit. Jezus half the fucking threads on this board at any given time are "hey outists -which shiny trinket do I sepnd my weekly schmekel ration on?"
>>
>>1098629
that's the new mindset of the modern consumer/millennial.

In part I actually think it may root with the great recession. Many millennial were hit the hardest and as such grew up in a more financially conscious mindset. Buying online provides cheaper deals and they will gladly wait whatever amount of time for that extra ten percent or more.
>>
>>1095821
their garage is pretty sweet around october/november when the new models of gear comes out. that's about it.
>>
>>1095821
Usually good but also usually on the pricier side. Their Garage Sales are great for snagging things at a more affordable price.

Dividend is also nice.

>>1095829
The Reservation Director at the scout camp I used to work at put all of the purchases he did for camp at REI on his membership. From what I heard he'd get a dividend of several hundred dollars every year he bought stuff for camp.
>>
Redpill me on the garage sale
>>
File: product_77693.jpg (6KB, 175x175px) Image search: [Google]
product_77693.jpg
6KB, 175x175px
My uncle just gave me his REI harness(used half a dozen times, never abused) and it seems pretty nice. Pic related. He removed the gear loops though, and lost them. Anyone here have a /diy/ solution? Some people say paracord in vinyl tubing would be okay.(Note: The gearloops are their own thing that slid in through webbing loops on the waist band. They're not like the new harnesses that have the gear loops welded into the waist. So them being removed does not compromise the safety of the harness)
>>
>>1098940
I'd get some thicker Amsteel and plasti-dip the middle 2/3s of the loop. It'll be stiffer, less UV-sensitive, less water-absorbent, and lighter than paracord in tubing.
>>
>>1098885
They're usually filled with people's barely used crap that they "didn't like". Some decent deals to be had though, sometimes. I wouldn't go without needing something or having something in mind. I've found the prices are typically high. My REI is in LA county, so it's a fucking madhouse with numbered tickets to get in and a giant line etc. I usually don't go because I don't want to wait in line for 45 minutes just to browse.
>>
>>1098961
That sounds better... But I dunno where to get amsteel, and the paracord+vinyl is cheap and easy to source. Didn't consider the water problem, but I'd definitely melt and seal the ends.

Is there a cheap online source for amsteel and plastidip? The aerosol cans here in Canada are like $18.
>>
>>1098988
Go here
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/spliceable-cordage/products/amsteel?variant=5208778497
Buy the 1/8" amsteel. $7.25 for 25 feet.

Alternatively find your nearest boating supply store or marina and buy it by the foot there for like 30 cents a foot.
>>
>>1098988
Oh, and for plastidip:
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-1-2-half-oz-plasti-dip-black-2779.html
>>
alls i can say is i was glad i found pants of my size on the clearance rack

who has $100 for pants

did our ancestors go into the wilderness wearing/carrying legit $1500 worth of stuff?
>>
>>1099009
I mean comparatively, yea.

Check out heritage hikers, they go out scaling mountains in bean boots using backpacks that weigh 20lbs by themselves and are made out of crushed leather, real wool sweaters and pants

Adjusting for inflation and economies of scale, the average hiker/frontiersman was probably rocking tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear by today's standards.

If you go even further back, we know cavemen wore shoes and thick leather and fur clothing. There was never a point in history where humanity was scaling peaks without additional gear.
>>
I like REI. Being able to try shit in person is worth a few extra bucks, and I've gotten a lot of good stuff on clearance or at garage sales. They just opened a new one near me and it's really nice too, one of the biggest REIs I've seen and it's nice not having to drive 40 minutes to get to one.
>>
>>1098745
>t. NEET
>>
>>1098813
>Millenials shopping at Nordstrums

Lol no
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-18-09-07-54.png (190KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-18-09-07-54.png
190KB, 1440x2560px
>>1099215

I'm not neet -I'm at 4x6. Since selling my soul to achieve that... I am Projecting.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.