[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the FUCK is /out/ gear so expensive, lads?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 1504566209001.jpg (26KB, 400x282px) Image search: [Google]
1504566209001.jpg
26KB, 400x282px
Why the FUCK is /out/ gear so expensive, lads?
>>
>>1095625
I'm going to guess, few buyers, intermittent sales, good quality for the most part (it becomes fairly obvious fairly quickly if something is of bad quality when you smash it against rocks all day).
>>
>>1095625
Because people who don't use it bought it for looks.
>>
>>1095625
buy once cry once.
>>
>>1095644
This is the way to live.
>>
>>1095625
>Why the FUCK is /out/ gear so expensive, lads?
Because 99% of it is useless garbage invented just to make a dollar and people are dumb enough to actually buy it.
>>
>>1095625
I bought 300 dollars worth of Chinese camping gear (tent, pack, blanket, stove, etc). Spent about 1/4 of what most people would have spent on a full pack. I'll review when I get it.
>>
>>1095656
How about you review it after you've used it regularly for a year?

Oh wait you won't be able to as all of it will fall apart at about the 100 hours of use mark.
>>
>>1095659
>t.talking out his ass
There are good chinese companies and cheap ones just like everywhere else. $100 dollars in China goes a lot further than the overpriced crap here. But you can keep paying at extra 200% because it has the tag 'ultralight' attatched to it, I don't care. It's all made in the same factory anyways.
>>
>>1095625
its literally space age shit
>>
>>1095666
>Satan implying expensive stuff holds up much better
That was more intended to be a barb at the whole "I just got it and played with it at my computer desk for 30 seconds, this review is totally meaningful and trustworthy because I tan totally tell whether something will fail after a month of hard use by fingering it for 10 seconds!" review you implied you were gonna do, just like all the vloggers and jewtubers.
>>
>>1095666
>"signing" a thread, with "t." no less

europoor opinion discarded
>>
>>1095655
>>1095636
This.
>>
>>1095656
>>1095659

Is 300$ for those items really cheap where you live? I got all of those for maybe 150$ and I've been using it for years :/ Are you Americans? I don't even want to imagine the cost of a full mountaineering gear there then
>>
>>1095797
No he's just an idiot who bought poorly made gear and is bragging about it before it arrives in the mail
>>
>>1095797
Yes, $300USD for a backpack, sleeping bag, stove, AND tent is dirt fucking cheap in the US.

To put that in perspective, that's less than 4 days' wages at Federal minimum wage and potentially under a day of work for either entry-level skilled labor (plumber's apprentice, tile guy's helper, etc) an hour of billing for a specialized or senior paralegal, or around 45 minutes' billing for a brand new attorney or doctor.

As a result, the products are going to be shit.
>>
>>1095625
Because you think you are too good for milsup
>>
>>1095656
Babbys first camping trip?
>>
>>1095880
>>1095885
Don't listen to these retards OP. There are plenty of quality Chinese companies that never make it overseas like Xiaomi. They don't understand that even if it's an american company, all the products are most likely made in Vietnam for 1/10th the cost
>>
>>1095885
Even cheaper to go to Walmart and there it's returnable
>>
>>1095625
>backpacking seems kind of pricey
It doesn't have to be. Most of us start out thinking that we have to buy all sorts of expensive gear, but by the time we get good, we're down to a few select items we either made ourselves or improvised.

You can get by with a $7 CCF pad, $5 fleece blanket (twin) and a bivvy made from (free) Tyvek and some duct tape as your bedroll. An old eye-dropper filled with unscented bleach will sterilize several tens of gallons of water (use soda bottles for storing water, rice, fuel). And while knowing how to use ferrocerium or steel is great knowledge to have, most of us carry BICs because reliability. Dollar store tin cups and aluminium beer bottles work great as small cook pots. And if that's all you're carrying, you don't even need a fancy backpack for pockets and support straps, because at that weight, you're already ultralight and it'll fit in a satchel or school bag. You could get everything you need for around $20 to do a week-long trip and be fine.
>>
Go to the REI Garage Sale. Get there early, inspect the gear, decide if whatever is wrong with it matters (most likely cosmetic), save a bunch of $$$.
>>
>>1095625
Gonna hazard a guess here:
>Needs to be both durable and lightweight, which means good quality materials
>Needs to look pretty too, so there goes a little more cash
>The consumer base is pretty small
>To make matters worse, a lot of this stuff once bought won't break, so that lowers the already low demand
As an aside, I'm pretty sure that I've seen more college girls wearing outwear and carrying backpacking bags than I've seen campers, but that could just be my area
>A lot of entry level people make do with other shit, so that initial few hundred that hobbyists sometimes sink into their hobby in the first few months just doesn't happen as often
>A lot of other more specialized shit can be replaced with other stuff: at a rank beginner, car camping level, that high level sleeping bag can be replaced with a cheap sleeping bag and $20 worth of blankets. Those expensive hiking shoes can be replaced with runners,backpcks don't have to be top tier, etc

How'd I do? I'm mostly assuming here, but I think I'm pretty on the ball.
>>
>>1096294
>Xiaomi
Why didn't you name a company making /out/ gear and not cell phones if there is an abundance of such great companies? Quality Chinese shit and quality other shit will cost about the same because, as you said, it's all made in SEA anyways.

The only reason you get really cheap Chinese stuff that isn't sold in the US or Europe is because it's from companies that at best have horrible quality control or at worst are using chemicals that are banned for similar use in those places for good reason.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.