[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long Trail hike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1503425362407.jpg (215KB, 850x932px) Image search: [Google]
1503425362407.jpg
215KB, 850x932px
Going to be heading out on the Long Trail some time this month. I am going to avoid all but the main path, but I might take up to 5 detours depending on how cool things on the others are.

What should I absolutely bring?

I am definitely bringing a tent, my phone, nutrition bars, and a good few bottles of water.

I don't really feel like wasting money on lodging, hot meals, or showers (unless they're those 50 cent ones and not out of my way).
>>
Should add that I can easily clear 20 miles in around 3-5 hours depending on the terrain, and am going to shoot for clearing at least 30 miles a day.
>>
I'll have time to tell you tomorrow.
>>
>>1095323
Bring 2hu lewds.

Do you have much experience and how many other people are you going with?
>>
>>1095545
I used to do a lot of trail clearing as a seasonal job, but I never paced and enjoyed myself.

I'll probably bring one to three other people depending on whether or not they can take the time off.
>>
Bring goretex boots, trekking poles, and gaiters. The mud this year is horrific.
>>
>>1095327
Dude you cannot hike a nine minute mile unless you're actually running. Plus every long distance hiker has to pace themselves to be able to do it every day. have you seen how many miles oyu can do per day, in three consecutive days? this will give you a decent answer. RUNNING 20 miles at a nine minute mile is a not bad RUNNING pace. You're either a hardcore motherfucker or you're wrong
>>
File: IMG_4411.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4411.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1096239
>Dude you cannot hike a nine minute mile
I agree with this. I walk pretty fast and sometimes I trot but at best I can do a 15 minute mile but it's normally around 18 - 20 minutes.
>>
File: 1503289433451.jpg (592KB, 1234x1078px) Image search: [Google]
1503289433451.jpg
592KB, 1234x1078px
>>1096239
>>1096338
I've timed myself. Granted I sometimes jog on smoother terrain.

Idk, maybe I'm just sonic. I zone out looking around and rarely notice my pace. When I was doing trail clearing I was always ahead of the pack by like 500 feet at least too, and still managed to do a fuck ton of clearing.

Regardless, I'm asking for advice for a longer hike than I'm used to. Not comparing hike times.

>>1096235
Mud never bothered me much. I usually come across or make some makeshift bridges across massive areas of mud.
>>
>>1096377
You need to be prepared to walk straight through the mud so as to avoid erosion.
>>
>>1096468
How about just stay home instead of excusing away all the habitat you are ruining?
>>
>>1096468
Plenty prepared. I was referring more to patches where you can't really gauge how deep you'll sink. That's when I use bridges.
>>
Go to the yellow deli hiker hostel, it is run by a cult, but they arnt pushy and they give you a free drink when you walk in; it's also free. The green mountain club end to Enders guide is completely worthless aside from the town maps. Guthook's app is a great app that I would highly recommend. Stay at the green mountain house in Manchester center, Jeff is a pretty rad guy and a true tovarish, and it is totally worth the $38. Not all of the hostels are in the guide book. There a couple north of Rutland that aren't in any of the guidebooks.
I don't feel like paying for a place to stay is a waste.
Im probably going back this July.
>>
>>1096680
Don't. Just walk through it.
>>
>>1096377
The long trail had a 2 mile stretch of continuous mud in July.
>you absolute retard, you can't hike a nine minute mile
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.