[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rock fires

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: brock obama.jpg (4MB, 3012x2004px) Image search: [Google]
brock obama.jpg
4MB, 3012x2004px
How do I start a fire with these?

All the fire-making tutorials are about starting from wood, or starting from sparking rocks.

If I strike two random non-flint rocks together, I always get a flash which is localized to the rock surface. It's not a spark, but a flash of light which doesn't jump everywhere.

It seems to me that if you put tinder here, you could start a fire with literally any rocks lying on the ground.
>>
>>1094967

>Get two good sized rocks and rough up their surfaces.
>Practice striking one rock worth the other at approximately 45 degrees.
>Douse your intended for area with gasoline (don't forget a healthy wrong of your clothes as well).
>Strike rocks at gasoline until the fire starts.
>Never come back with stupid fucking questions ever again.

Everyone wins.
>>
>>1094972

There is no need to be upset
>>
>>1094967
A shot of Chlorine Trifluoride will light 'em right up.
>>
Striking anything hard on anything hard can generate a little spark through the laws of friction. It's not good enough to start a fire though. Flint will produce sparks when struck against iron because siliceous rocks hold an edge better then any other and you need a sharp surface in order to shave off thin enough iron filings to spontaneously combust in the presence of oxygen (this is why cutting through steel generates so much spark - iron filings being flung and ignited mid-air once they lose the surface oxide layer). You can use any source of local iron, like pyrite as the Ancient Greeks used and any source of edge, provided it's a good one. Flint and obsidian and quartz just happen to make the best edges found in nature when chipped. You could theoretically use other types of rocks if you were willing to resharpen over and over again when you break the edge. It's just pointless and needlessly making it more difficult for yourself when you could just learn some rockhounding skills like your caveman ancestors did.
>>
Anyone tried using rocks as fuel for a fire?
>>
>>1095722
yes, I've burnt coal before. And pyrite. And oil shale.
>>
>>1095722
Make sure the fire is large before adding rocks from the bottom of a creek bed. It'll blow you away how awesome they are for fuel.
>>
>>1095733
>I've burnt coal before

OPs wife, is that you?
>>
The gear industry is trying to keep rock fires covered up so they can sell firestarters. Our ancestors knew all about this. Keep looking OP
>>
>>1095745
If the rocks are from a riverbed and a bit wet they'll actually produce a but more explosive heat
>>
>>1095798
Kek
>>
>>1094967
You put the rocks in a circle around a small pit filled with sticks and kindling then you use your lighter to make a fire
>>
>>1095802
WE WUZ ROCKS AND SHIEEET.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.