[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out Degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 15391960848_681a7b1d0f_h.jpg (932KB, 1600x1084px) Image search: [Google]
15391960848_681a7b1d0f_h.jpg
932KB, 1600x1084px
Hey /out/, don't usually frequent here but I was looking for some opinions, I'm getting out of the military in 2 years and am looking to go to school in MT, whats the best 4 year degree (its free) to set me up for having a career where I can live in a cabin in the woods, maybe 30 mins from a small town?
>>
Sounds like you want to be a forest ranger, botany is cooler =P
>>
>>1094645
Idk, doesn't that mean living by national forest? Wouldn't be the cheapest cabin in a woods living id imagine.

What can ya do with a degree in botany? Right now I just signed up for an education degree focusing on history.
>>
>>1094643
Depending on whether your "cabin in the woods" has broadband internet, an enterpreneurship degree (coupled with a lot of skill and talent, and a bit of luck) can make you a multimillionaire and set you up for life with a minimum of work. Otherwise, several Montana universities offer Forestry degrees.

Cabins on the eastern side of the Bighorns aren't too terrible on price, although cost of living is kind of middle of the road due to long drives for groceries and high fuel costs.
>>
Forestry
> >95% enployment withing 6 months of graduating
>only need bachelors, there literally isnt even a masters offered anywhere
>shit is constantly on fire/being logged, no sbortage of work
>cheap living
>badass as all hell
>good benefits
>~45k/yr straight out of college
>>
>>1094988
>45k a year straight out of college
...that's pretty fucking low though. Like, that's well below entry-level tradeschool shit, and just barely above working full-time at a fast-food restaurant or back of the house for Walmart.
>yfw walmart freight flow *starts* at $17 an hour with guaranteed overtime
>>
>>1095037
$17/hr full time is way less than 45k a year. The job is also much better, and there's more opportunity for increasing your salary.
>>
>>1094643
Lots of translators work online. What's your branch and rate?
>>
>>1095474
Airforce E4.
>>
>>1095494
I was in your shoes about 3 years ago. Same rank, same branch, same goal. I've been out for almost two years now. Some general separation advice:
>start saving money right now, as much as possible
Cut the monthly payments, cut your debts, anything. Live like a monk. I got out with 25k, and it went faster than what I originally planned. You want financial freedom.
>consider not living in BFE, and take advantage of the crazy housing market
While I would much prefer living in a comfy small town, living in an expensive area for college has it's benefit if you can live below your means. I get $2.6k/month for BAH. My rent is $800/month. I have no debts and minimal bills (cell, internet, etc). I'm living comfortably and have enough money leftover to put into savings. I can concentrate 100% on full time school.
>Don't use GI Bill for winter/summer session
Full time or bust, you only get 36 months
>Do not go to for-profit meme schools
You already know why. Stick to good state schools.
>You can move anywhere in the country on their dime
Choose wisely. Moving on your own can be expensive/time consuming.
>Have an idea of what degree you want, but you don't need to know everything
I really didn't know what I wanted to do when I got out. I started going to a CC, and I've been slowly figuring it out. You'll have time, don't rush into anything or go to one specific college for one specific degree. I'm planning on majoring in Geology, which should afford me some time outdoors and the ability to live west of the Continental Divide, which is all I want. My buddy is in Forestry in Oregon, and he loves it.
>As soon as it's known at work that you're not re-enlisting, expect to be considered an "outsider"
My supervisors basically abandoned me, and my co-workers were constantly telling me what a bad idea it was. They're afraid of the real world and jealous, don't let their insecurities worry you. I would absolutely separate again, no regrets (except for not saving more money).
>>
>>1095542
Good advice man, They've written me off as a lost cause at work, its awesome really. I said 2 years in the post for opsec, getting out in about 6 months. Already been accepted to a school out west, just looking for a degree that's right for me.
>>
>>1095542
Also, your saying don't take summers off?
Sounds hectic.
>>
>>1094646
I mean you get to walk around all day in the most preserved natural environments, get paid to do it, and you live in the various ranger stations throughout them while on patrol. Will your wife/child be living in a cabin right away necessarily, probably not but it is a possibility. Will you have the ability to save and eventually afford yourself some prime real estate, definitely. You can do just about anything you want with a botany degree. I'm looking at ethnobotany specifically, which would allow me to travel and study indigenous peoples use of plants both for food, and medicinally. If I find something I believe could be valuable to big pharma, I can sell it to them and make a happy dollar, if I don't find anything, I still got paid to do the research lol.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.