[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT times you had to quit on a climb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: nintchdbpict000295224263.jpg (120KB, 960x642px) Image search: [Google]
nintchdbpict000295224263.jpg
120KB, 960x642px
ITT times you had to quit on a climb
>>
>quit

Ha, you little girl
>>
File: holdup.jpg (95KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
holdup.jpg
95KB, 800x430px
Had my quads ache up really bad to the point of moving at a half walking speed pace near the end of an all day uphill climb and had to turn around near the summit. I've gotten better at preventing it but I can't figure out what causes it exactly.

My observations is that it occurs usually on a carbohydrate-heavy trip. Usual trip food for me is rice w/ soy or spaghetti w/ sauce and various "hiking" snacks like trail mix. My previous trip I've expanded past the carbs a fair amount trying to prevent these aches and seemed successful. I brought along dried bananas/mangoes and crackers and salami in addition to the rice/spaghetti.

The aches did stop and I could walk all day long, was I missing vitamins (provided by banana/mango) or was it something like protein/fat in the salami I was missing? Or is it just dehydration?
>>
I've had to bail on a few because of shitty conditions, like slide/avalanche danger.

I've never tapped out for physical reasons, but then I'm not into hardcore mountaineering. I'm an unashamed weekend peak bagger.
>>
File: b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg (120KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg
120KB, 1200x675px
>>1093542
Our second day at the Gnifetti Hut at the foot of the Monte Rosa, we decided to go the Pyramide Vincent (pic related) but one of the faggot of my group that almost ruined our previous day still decided to go with us. One hour later, she complained about her legs and we had to go back.
Hopefully, we had done a summit the day before.
And then, people wonder why i want to go alone with a guide on my holidays.
>>
>>1093590
Muscle cramps might be a sign of potassium deficiency, which the bananas would help with.
>>
Second time on Mt Blanc attempting from the Italian side in early spring. Total white out for two days and no sign of it letting up. We slowly made our way down and jibbed it off as a bad job, grabbed the next flight to Southern Spain and fucked prostitutes for the rest of the week.

True story
>>
>>1093606
>climb Mont Blanc
>fuck prostitutes

cannot have both mate
>>
>>1093608
Not at the same time buddy - took us most of two days overall from breaking camp to landing in Spain.
>>
File: P1050890 - Copie.jpg (901KB, 1604x1204px) Image search: [Google]
P1050890 - Copie.jpg
901KB, 1604x1204px
>>1093542
I quit for weather condition on a peak in the French Alps, not really an interesting story but the only time I had to quit.
I'm not a seasoned mountain man and the guy I was with made the call. Still nice memories since we made most of the climb and it was very impressive
>>
>>1093611
That's two days of not climbing and not fucking prostitutes that I won't get back.

I blame the Italians desu.
>>
>>1093598
Correct.

Always worth having some potassium supps and also taurine helps loads.

Sure you can eat a banana and drink a red bull but it's worth just buying some caps off eBay or from your local health food store.
>>
I've climbed everest(more of a hike honestly) 84 times and I've never quit, I even enjoy a nice cigarette at the top.

The fuck is wrong with you guys? This is like, a weekend thing for me.
>>
>>1093630
>it takes him a weekend to climb everest

oh wow, please don't post here until you have some experience climbing, okay newbie?
>>
File: IMG_20170724_141135806.jpg (101KB, 450x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170724_141135806.jpg
101KB, 450x800px
>Hail
>Lightning
yeah that radio on the tower waited a few more days before it got replaced.
Nope'd down that mountain pretty quick that afternoon.
>>
File: WHOA MAMA.jpg (36KB, 640x695px) Image search: [Google]
WHOA MAMA.jpg
36KB, 640x695px
>>1093630
>not climbing Everest in 8 hours
>>
Maybe this isn't what OP had in mind, but the only climb I have bailed on a climb was at work, tree surgery, I had to get down from a tree as I had a lot going on in my personal life at the time and all the emotional baggage was making work really tough. This combined with the tree being particularly nasty just made it unbearable. Luckily the guys on the ground were understanding and the second climber was happy to take over. I just felt that if I had pushed on and tried to work with my head where it was there would have been an accident.
>>
>>1094712
I sprained my ankle recently and my PT told me I should keep my exercise very light, such as climbing Everest in 16 hours. I thought that was frustrating and I hate babying myself like that, but doctor's orders.
>>
>>1094751
I once broke my two legs ON PURPOSE just to make Everest more challenging. Still did it under the 15 hours mark. Maybe you should try something easier, like netflix&chill.
>>
>>1094769
I felt bored this morning so I climbed Everest today, on my hands, backwards. I'm writing from the top, typing with my toes.
>>
>>1094781
Smell that stuff on your hands? That's the log I dropped at the summit when I climbed Everest during my lunch break to troll you.
>>
>>1093542
>Ol Doinyo Lengai, Tanzania, guide was drunk and tore his ankle ligaments
>Elbrus north face, Russian Caucasus, camped at Lenz Rocks at 4600m, went up with 3 tents, storm, 2 tents got ripped to shreds after 14 hours of being holed up in our tents
>Kazbek, Georgian Caucasus one week later, storm at 4200m
>Kazbek one year later, made it to the hut and tweaked my hip when I put down my backpack, couldn't lift my leg two hours later
>Elbrus north face again, storm after Lenz Rocks, had to settle for the lower summit

Suffice to say I'm generally not lucky when I head up mountains.
>>
>>1093590
>>1093598
early-stage AMS can also cause cramping
>>
>>1093542
A fucking hairy angry boar made me turn back because I couldnt bypass her (was inna gorge)

Didnt matter because it was short hike (4 hours there and back again) , went back next day

Got pissed enough to go inna police station and get a gun and a hunting license
Fucking fat cunts
>>
File: 20170802_145317.jpg (34KB, 269x255px) Image search: [Google]
20170802_145317.jpg
34KB, 269x255px
>>1097903
>tfw boar is open season year round becasue they are invasive shits
>tfw you can open carry whatever the fuck you want in my state as long as it doesn't violate federal law
>tfw carry whenever /out/ for just this reason
you are a lucky guy, hope you ran into the cunt again and bagged her
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.