[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on backpacking through norway and finland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_0115.gif (40KB, 275x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0115.gif
40KB, 275x600px
Hey guys, this is my first post on this board so forgive me if i do anything wrong.

I'm planning on making my first backpacking trip, i am gonna go to oslo, from there i'll hike all the way to bergen and from there on i'll go all the way up north to see the northern lights and i'll move back through finland to helsinki, i'm gonna plan route's between two cities each time that have to be 3 to max 6 days walking apart and when they are longer dan 3 days apart i'll have to plan a route that passes by one of the dnt cabins which i'll get a year membership on.

My plan is to walk all of it and to take exactly no buses or trains at any time
I will be sleeping in nature or in one of the cabins
I will wash my clothes and everything in the lakes and i'll also take water from those so the only thing i have to worry about is food and gas for cooking and maybe some coffee

If anyone has some advice or tips or anything that can help me prepare for this trip please let me know
If you want to know anything more of my plans just ask
>>
>>1084792
I have never been there but seems a nice trip, anon. Godspeed

>If you want to know anything more of my plans just ask
Solo trip? How many km?
>>
>>1084803
Yeah i'm gonna be alone and its gonna wind up being something over 2000 km
Pleas tell me anything i might need to know, i'll be dealing with a lot of different weathers and all type of circumstances
>>
>>1084803
>>1084807
2000 km to the north that is, from there i'll still have to take finland on
>>
>first backpacking trip
>2000km

Seems legit
>>
>>1084813
Fuck man, i dont care if you believe it or not, i have never even slept in a tent, backapcking is something i've been wanting to do for a long time, seeing the northern lights as well, i'm just gonna do it, you can say i wont or you can offer me tips, whatever you want
>>
>>1084807
Honestly there isn't much to tell. It's just walking, be sure to check your feet daily, try to pack light, have adequate gear for the region since you'll catch harsh weather.
>>
>>1084816
Yeah its pretty unpredictable out there isnt it, it also doesnt help that i've never been there, i am already learning the language and i'm leaving in april so i can ask a lot of locals for advice
>>
>>1084817
>i'm leaving in april
then you have lots of time to learn your needs by yourself. My biggest backpacking trip was 2 weeks long and not even 300km, and I leaned pretty fast to pack light. In the middle of the trip I had already throw away a pair of underwear, towel, pair of socks and t-shirt.
Also people shit on trekking poles but they're pretty nice actually.
>>
>>1084824
Yeah thats what everybody says so i'll keep that in mind, i understand that its a long journey, its gonna be tough and require a lot of dedication but my goal is the north cape and the northern lights and i'm not gonna go home before i'm there
>>
>>1084826
Having the right mental attitude is half way done. Hopefully you will achieve your goal.
>>
>>1084830
Thank you
>>
>>1084792
Norsefag here, anything specific you're wondering about? Where are you from btw?

You'll be carrying quite a lot if you're going across the mountains to Bergen (Hardangervidda) as you'd need a tent,clothes for the weather, cooking supplies and food to last a while since it will be long between places to stock up. Dried meat is useful as it's very compact and light relative to how much food it is. This is likely much cheaper in the country where you are from.

The route from Oslo to Trondheim is also beautiful in a "fantasy" style. The route to Bergen is more "postcard" scenic.

There will be lots of places to fish on the way so bring a telescopic rod. You can buy some hooks (for trout) that work well in norwegian waters when you get there.

Summers can get quite hot and from june to august there are lots(!!) of insects in the inland forest areas. On the high mountains less so.

Thats all I could think of for now.

Did you consider doing the trip on a bicycle?
>>
>>1084814
Good luck OP. Take some pictures and post them in here from time to time. Stay warm and hydrated. It'll be cold. How much are you planning to carry and how long are you planning to be on the road? I've been backpacking in a area between Oslo and Bergen (hardangervidda) but only on a two-week journey.
>>
Honestly, I think you should start with a shorter trip. Why not try hiking across Hardangervidda first? Or Jotunheimstien. My cousin hiked, skiied and biked Norge på langs, with her dog, some years ago. She didn't make it sound easy. Being too ambitious on your first backpackig might just get you hurt because of inexperience. Especially if you're not familliar with the terrain.
>>
>>1084990
It's never easy with a dog. You have to carry twice the amount of food during the day and contend with dog farts at night.
>>
>>1084817
>i'm leaving in april
You won't be able to see northern lights but you won't freeze to death either
>>
One thing missing:!Moose is not fun to meet. Good luck with your trip
>>
>>1084872
Hello norsanon, i'm from amsterdam and i am planning on living as much off of nature as possible but fishing might be a good idea, i normally dont like fish but i guess its different in norway so i'll try it.
I have thougt about going by bike but i think it might be quite hard at some times to carry it with me so it might become an inconvenience.

Staring in oslo and going to bergen isnt definite by the way, i hear oslo has become a lot like sweden so i might avoid oslo and go straight to bergen
>>
>>1085056
I dont mean fishing isnt part of living of nature, i realise i wrote it like that
>>
>>1084955
Thanks anon, i will take pictures and i'll post whenever i can, my trips are gonna be no more than six days between to bigger towns, and i'll make sure to pass a cabin so i'll be able to buy food and such.
I'm gonna try keeping my packing weight around 15 kg
>>
>>1084990
Yeah i get that but i like meeting people and i guess i can easily find other hikers/backpackers on the way that might be able to help me out at first.
As for the cold, i'm staring out in april and if ii'm right i should be able to make it to narvik in about 4 to 5 months which means i should be lucky in terms of weather and temperatures
>>
>>1085009
I'll start in the south, i'll be within the pole circle around august or september, so i'll se the lights
>>
>>1085016
What about bears? What are the chances i'll run into problems with wildlife?
>>
Thanks very much by the way guys, there isnt a lot of info on the internet about trips similar to this and i dont know if that is because nobody is stupid enough to do this or i'm not looking in the right places but i'll prepare as good as possible
>>
>>1085061
In the south you might run into people relatively often, but the further north you go you'll start seeing fewer people. You'd need to be completely selfsufficient for a trip like this. Relying on other hikers for help is not a good strategy. Regardless, if you go through with this plan, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you stay safe. Practice navigational skills before (map/compass), and look into getting an emergency beacon (Spot, InReach etc).

Oh and remember to post pics here!
>>
>>1085056
Yes, skip Oslo. If nature is what you're after you'd need to walk for a couple of days to see something nice from there. Bergen is a good (but wet) start.

I suggested going by bike so you can put all your stuff on it in bags, to ease off the weight. It will drastically reduce the time it takes to get to your destination though and you're in no hurry i see.

>>1085064
There aren't many bears to speak of but Gaupe (wildcats?) and Jerv (??) plus some wolves, but they will be more weary of you than you'll be of them. If you're lucky you might spot one but they don't pose any danger. Problems with wildlife will be mutant mosquitoes, knott (murderous flies) and ticks. Carry an arsenal of repellents.

>>1085068
Norwegians are fond of walking and cycling, not many tourists go for these long hikes but there's a lot of info in norwegian.
Here's the route you want to take:
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Trondheimse_postroute
In norwegian: Den trondhjemske postvei
Googling it gives a lot hits to norwegian sites, run them through google translate.
>>
>>1085077
Alright i'll do that, i was planning on askimg them for help in the south so i learn how to do it on the way to the north where i will do everything myself, i know there might be times where i wont see anybody else for days but on the other hand that sounds completely awesome as well, i am aware of the risks that come with it and the fact that it might not be the smartest idea ever but i like taking a risk and i'm reallt looking forward to it

I will definitely get a beacon akd maybe a flare, though that might not be the safest idea in the woods
>>
>>1085096
Alright thanks very much on the oslo thing, that was one of my biggest doubts because i also heard its not exactly safe there either and i want a nice trip without any bullshit.
The wildlife thing is also good to hear, i already looked into all the repelent and all that so i have a good idea of what to take altough i had never heard of those knott
Thanks for the route as well, i'll check that out
>>
>>1085096
oh yea, and about fish - the ones you catch yourself tastes like another world compared to shopped fish. Butter, salt and pepper, wrap it in some tin foil and throw it in the fire. Might wanna look up how to gut small trout on youtube before you go, there are some tricks.

Some places you need a "fishing card" to fish legally but don't mind it when you're just passing through, it's meant for those who fish a lot in certain lakes and they won't care about you.

There isn't much else food you can find in the wild here (without hunting) apart from berries and mushrooms later in the year. If you're into the funny shroom you can find a lot of them around this time of year.

Ah, also a filter for water is smart to bring. It's safe to drink all water from smaller rivers once you're out of cities and a bit elevated but when it rains a lot the water can get unclear (still safe though) but you'd probably want to rinse it.
>>
>>1085101
Oslo is safe, unless you're trying to get a taxi when the pubs just closed. But Oslo is just plain boring on all fronts. Don't go there unless you know some good people who can show you a good time.

As far as beacon or flare etc... Nah. I'd say buy a cheap brick mobile phone, one of those nokia clones that have a battery that lasts a month and a prepaid norwegian simcard. Leave it turned off in your backpack and you'll have it for emergencies. There isn't full mobile coverage on all the remote places in the country but there is coverage for emergency calls (112, 113) everywhere.
>>
>>1084792
A friend and I walked from Oslo and (almost) to Tronhiem in the summer a few years ago following the "Gudbrandsdalsleden" trail. That took about three weeks of walking. Since you haven't done much hiking before I think your plan sounds a bit ambitious, but I won't try to talk you away from it - just don't see it as a faliure if you don't achieve all that you plan to do. - Anywas feel free to ask me anything.

On another note you should stop trusting 4chan when it comes to safety risks. You can travel around Oslo all you like (and Sweeden too for that matter).
>>
>>1085874
>You can travel around Oslo all you like (and Sweeden too for that matter).

> Breveik, the grenade attacks, the stabbings, the rape epedemic, the no go zones all totally safe
>>
>>1085903
Reality is not like /pol/
>>
>>1084792
Does anyone else see a really nasty penis with a super gross crusty foreskin and balls when they look at OP's map?
>>
>>1084792
>I'm planning on making my first backpacking trip,
>Yeah i'm gonna be alone and its gonna wind up being something over 2000 km

Solo 2000km in sub arctic is a bit ambitious if you have 0 experience. Why can't you start it slow?
>>
>>1085904
Reality is not like Disneyland
>>
>>1085923
Infact it is like neither.
>>
>>1085904
At one time, reality was "like /pol/" (your words).

It's a rare occourace, but it does happen.
You cannot guarantee anybody's safety.

I personally wouldn't be worried. But then again I don't worry about a lot of things.
>>
>>1085934
Looks like actually agree then. Yes fucked up shit happens, but that shouldn't scare us away from doing things and going places. My issue is more with the "Sweden is deh kalifat"-propaganda which is blatantly untrue.

Of course we can't guarantee the safety of other people, but why should we?
>>
>>1085934
Pol isn't one thing. 75% is globalists anti white, alt left shilling and Tru believers, the rest alt right, people trying to figure out what is really going on in some subject matter, some Nazi larpers, some people looking for a laugh. Look at the threads on the first page and often 8 of 10 are alt left.
>>
File: 1501977083332.jpg (10KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
1501977083332.jpg
10KB, 284x177px
I'm also going on a trip in Finland, but most of my backpacking will be in the northwest arm. I'll be there just in time to see the first frost.
>>
>>1085874
Yeah i'm not risking that shit, i'm leaving to get away from those fuckers. Thanks for replying anyway, i didnt think anyone would reply anymore
>>
>>1085910
Its not sub arctic when i get there, i'm planning it all very well, i'll be at the north cape around august, september, its doable
>>
>>1085993
Subarctic is a climate zone, not a season. that said, I spent 3 weeks in August in the northern Fjell, had snow trice and and at least 5 frost nights. Also, plenty of rain.

Also, 2000km with 0 experience? highly unlikely. I don't want to spoil your party, but you might want to do a shorter trip first to see what you are up for, see what gear you need, and how to get by. Enthusiasm is not really a substitute for experience.
>>
>>1085061
>should be lucky in terms of weather and temperatures
What temperatures are you expecting? When I was hiking in Hardangervidda I was really suprised about the cold. It was in juli and there were still snow on some of the north facing slopes.
>>
>>1085903
>>1085990
I answered to OP because I have walked a fair bit of the route he's planning on doing and have generally traveled a lot around Scandinavia and have experience with long distance hiking in northern climates. I should really know what I'm talking about here.

But it's fucking sad that every single thread turn into a /pol/ shitfest whenever a Scandinavian country is mentioned. As I wrote before you guys should really stop believing shit on 4chan. Of course you can link me a headline of a terror attack or a homicide, that happens all over the world. And yes, statistics can be inaccurate, but they're worlds more accurate than asocial 15 YO's on a Taiwaneese hentai board. And even if trust said 15 YO's more than people who have actually been around these places (like me) you can at least take a look at the actual statistics telling you that Scandinavian cities are among the safest places in the entire world. This has nothing to do with weather you like the politics of a country or not. And I'm not assuming that OP intent to actually seek out the ghettos in Oslo and walk in circles there - we're talking about "risking" starting a trip from the train station/airport/city centre. If that thought concerns you more than taking on a 2000+ km hike, inexperienced in a northern climate then you're plain stupid.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/safest-countries-in-the-world.html
https://safecities.economist.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2015/01/EIU_Safe_Cities_Index_2015_white_paper-1.pdf
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-safest-cities-in-the-world-2015-03-11

I'm not gonna stick around to view replies. Have a nice day and have fun with your walk OP
>>
>>1084792
Ikke gå, du vil do.
>>
>>1085946
>First frost
Be advised this year there has already been snow already up there. Friend went before summer and said it was snow and the coldest he's ever had it there.

Be prepared for snow and cold earlier than you expect, that is.

>>1084792
OP this will be several months worth of walking. You can cabin-hop in the north in many places certainly but you WILL have to set up tent sometimes so you will need to carry it anyway. It can get mighty cold up north. The wind is probably more than you will expect so make sure your tent is up for cold and wind. Some good quality 3 or 4-season alpine should do fine.

When washing in the lakes/rivers don't be a dick and do use biodegradeable washing substances.

You might want to make some detour occasionally so plan for those. Don't forget to pick some berries, too.

Be sure to check the hunting season times! And wear something visible at least during that time since it is not so much fun to get shot.

Please document your trip. It will be interesting to see if you decide to share it.

Also, it'll be quite safe in general "even" in Oslo.

Learn to like eating fish if you don't already.
>>
>>1085101
>the oslo thing, that was one of my biggest doubts because i also heard its not exactly safe there
You're from Amsterdam and think Oslo is unsafe? Seriously?
>>
File: meSRUft.png (57KB, 900x283px) Image search: [Google]
meSRUft.png
57KB, 900x283px
>>1086091
Before summer? So you're saying the snow stuck sround longer and might return sooner? I was expecting it to at the coldest be around 4°C. Thanks for replying btw.
>>
>>1086070
>fake norwegian
this translates to: "don't walk. you will toilet"
It's good advice to all the shills here who's only source about Norway is /pol/.

Oslo is too safe, it's boring. There are no ghettos here.

>>1086290
In summer it can still be snow on the high mountains, but you probably won't wanna go all up there unless for a daytrip to see a sight or something. It will still be pretty warm, at least in the daytime. Nights will be cold still, might even dip under 4.

A small investment that might be good to make in Norway is to buy some good clothes called superundertoy (super-underwear) made of merino wool. It's fantastic to keep you warm and doesn't get uncomfortable if you sweat in it, as you will when you walk. Ask for it in a sports shop. Costs ~50 euro for a set and is the best clothes made for man, ever.
>>
File: DSC00098.jpg (948KB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00098.jpg
948KB, 4000x2667px
>>1086326
>In summer it can still be snow on the high mountains,
Same for Lappland, tree line is around 200-400m. Mid-June to mid-August is usually snow free, or maybe just a bit of sleet now and then. Cold still can get you, lots of wind and perception. If you hike in the Fjell you'll see some old snow fields. Also, you want to stay where it is cooler, where it is warm enough for trees means that it usually is warming with mosquitoes and gnats. Buy a headnet at the local shop.
>>
File: DSC00251.jpg (1MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00251.jpg
1MB, 4000x2667px
>cozy inside
>0°C and strong winds outside
>sit by the stove, watch the reindeer from the kitchen window, drink cognac
>>
>>1086326
You sure are a pol expert. Why not go back you commie faggot?
>>
>>1086337
shouldn't you be shitposting at the prepping thread?
>>
File: qu.jpg (19KB, 953x141px) Image search: [Google]
qu.jpg
19KB, 953x141px
>>1086326
> >fake norwegian
Tell me more.
My post was not about /pol/ shit.
>>
>>1085995
People hike the Appalachian trail all the time with next to no training, and that's 3500km. Still would recommend someone with no experience at least do a few shorter trips first, if only to narrow down exactly what you want to bring to minimize weight and make sure your boots fit well and your gear is in working order.
>>
>>1085000
Only spoiled dogs get to sleep in the tent
>>
>>1086489
Only of 20% of those who start the AT finish it. Of those 20% only a very small number has no experience at all. So saying people "do it all the time" is wrong and misleading. Furthermore you will meet a lot more people on the AT compared to the trip OP is proposing, and getting help in case injury, for example, is much easier.
Also the climate in Norway is much more reminiscent of Alaska (if we're talking US) than any where else.
I agree with the next part though.
>>
Get coffee pills/coffee thermos and some candy. They're a lifesaver for when you can't make fire and cook but need to walk on.
Get audio books or lectures. Walking for days might get boring.
>>
>>1086489

>People hike the Appalachian trail all the time with next to no training,

Everything you believe is a lie
>>
>>1084792
I'm also Dutch and since a couple of months I'm living in Rovaniemi, Finland.

If you come in the area we could have some Olut ja makkarat(Beer and sausages) If you want.
>>
>>1086483
>tell me more
Lol, it's just so characteristic of /pol/ shills to trust internet over someone who lives there.

Yes fake Norwegian, it's word for word translated from english and wrong. Proper way to say it would be: "Ikke dra dit, du kommer til å do"

>>1086501
I'd say dried meat (jerky?) is way better for those situations.
>>
>>1086589
ooooooooooooo
>>
>>1086590
wtf. norwegian letters are censored.
>>
>>1086591
Yeah, that surprised me too when I found out.

æoæoæoæoæoæo
>>
>>1086594
It's only o apparently
>>
>>1086594
It's only pic related apparently
>>
>>1086595
Why does 4chan hate o so much I wonder? We will probably never know.
>>
↑ thats why you should go to North.
>>
>>1086589
You really have quite a victim complex with /pol/ don't you?
It's almost to the point of delusion.

How about you relax a bit.
>>
>>1086604
But they are nahtzees and they kill minorities and women and are literally Hitler you must be Hitler too if you don't care that natfzees are everywhere
>>
>>1086604
Uh, and why would that be?

I am correcting false information that foreigners are spreading about my country.

>>1086615
Maybe they are, maybe not, who cares, I only react to shilling about my country.
>>
>>1086724
>I am correcting false information that foreigners are spreading about my country.
lel sounds like something /pol/ would say

>>1086615
Dude, your grammar is comically atrocious.
>>
>>1085108
Telenor seems to be the best carrier in terms of coverage in remote areas.
>>1085101
I go to work in an immigrant heavy part of Oslo, there are also Norwegian junkies hanging out outside the office building. So you can say I go into these so called scary places or no go zones, and I don't feel threatened at all. It's a "big" city, so just use some common sense and situational awareness, during the day it's perfectly safe though. Would only be concerned during the night when drunk people are out and looking for a fight.
>>
>>1086734
>lel sounds like something /pol/ would say
not that anon, but as soon as you have a thread about skandinavia some mouth breather shows up and shares his world views on muslims, liberals and skandinavia in general, and thats highly annoying. Also, it is always some right wing cucks that do that, and on average their opinion is about what you'd expect form an IQ 85 basement dweller that never left his own state.
Seriously, I don't come on /out/ for such discussions, so yeah, fuck /pol/
>muh leftypol
>muh joo
>>
>>1086749
>Telenor seems to be the best carrier in terms of coverage in remote areas.
protip, bring your own sim card from abroad, roaming will give you best possible coverage. nokia brick with dual sim is ideal. Also, credit card, Skandis prefer plastic to cash, some shops don't even take cash.
>>
>>1086751
Thanks for sharing your worldview on /pol/s.

>>1086749
>>1086751
The consensus I've been getting from forums (yes, I know) is that a Swedish SIM is cheaper and provides the same coverage as Norwegian carriers.
But you can't get a Swedish SIM unless you have a PersonNumber or something to that effect.
Any truth to this?

Also the credit cart thing is something I've noticed.
I've never seen any discussion on where to exchange for local currency so I assumed either electronic cards are used exclusively, or everyone accepts € and neighborkroners.

Some banks allow you to send money directly to someone's [bank account linked] phone number which is pretty cool.
>>
>>1086781
I'm murican, was able to use my credit card everywhere in Norway.
>>
>>1086781
You can just withdraw norwegian kroner from an atm with your creditcard. No one accepts euros or any other foreign currency.
>>
Watch out for Bodo Bodö
>>
>>1086290
He went before summer began, something like between May-June or so, can't recall. And some snow had come then. It has melted away now but will most likely arrive around halfway of September.

Anyway, it might be snowing depending on where you are and when, and sometimes even when it "should not".

Now, I don't know when exactly you are going to where but just be prepared that it might get cold, even sub zero. And prepare for some nice wet and cold sleet during the times when the winter isn't really full-on.

>>1086326
Merino underwear - seconded. They have different designs, even full body suits which give a distinctively Teletubbyish impression.
>>
>>1086781
Pay with your card, it's easiest. It's best to have a chip in it.

Note that you should probably have some cash just in case. Like 30 or 40 EUR worth of local currency.

Norway does not accept Euros neither does Sweden. Finland does, of course, but they don't accept Swedish nor Norwegian kronor.

For prepaid, last time I bought one in Sweden was many years ago and they did not request ID.

Yes, phone to phone payment like Swish is easy and nice. Many farmers and smaller businesses and ad-hoc things like flea market sellers offer that payment method. Get onions, potatoes and marmalade straight from the producer and pay with phone and fuck carrying around pieces of metal with the King's face.
>>
>>1086781
just have some back up cash because you might go into some local business on the countryside that is not all caught up with the modern times
>>
Is this a McCandless thread?
>0 experience
>2000km accross scandinavia.
>>
>>1086816
he has several months to plan this and maybe take some short trips before going so he gets the basics down
>>
>>1086816
McCandless had no destination and zero sense of preparedness or preparation.

OP has at least asked the opinion of the 80's diesel Mercedes subforum, in the French language Tunisian taxi drivers union message board.
>>
File: chris.jpg (58KB, 652x489px) Image search: [Google]
chris.jpg
58KB, 652x489px
>>1086818
omg, it is a McCandless thread!
>>
>>1086824
wow I really wish McCandless was alive right now so I could ask him what Instagram filter he used on that photo
>>
>>1085062
You wont prob
Maybe late september
But more likely from october
On the coasts it stays pretty warm, -7 in winter
Inland, sometimes -20
All north
>>
>>1086589
>I'd say dried meat (jerky?) is way better for those situations.
Yes, buy dried reindeer meat from the Sami in Lapland. Delicious lean venison and 1kg dried is like 4.5kg fresh.
>>
>>1086583
Die de groeten aan yanya
>>
>>1086876
Sami charge too much
>500kr for a wooden cup
>>
File: Torkat-renkott-large.jpg (106KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
Torkat-renkott-large.jpg
106KB, 460x345px
>>1086886
Don't buy the tourist shit then, the meat was reasonably priced and tasty. Also, it is nice to eat reindeer while you watch reindeer.
>>
>>1086890
Meat is murder
>>
>>1086905
duh
how do you kill your animals?
>>
>>1086886
Make a kosa/kuksa yourself then and see if it was worth the effort
>>
>>1086905
Thank God for murder then.
>>
>>1086886
Most things are overpriced in Norway and then it gets even worse in remote hiking areas where they charge 50 kroner for a waffle.
>>
>>1085096
>Jerv (??)
Wolverine.
>>1085064
Bears and wolves are primarily located on the East side of the mountains, especially in Hedmark. Heard of a guy at his cabin in the Trysil area going out for a piss just around a corner, and with the piss running a bear came 'round the next corner and the guy ran back into the cabin peeing all over himself.
>>1085101
Oslo isn't really bad, it's just shit. If you're going North, consider taking the train to e.g. Lillehammer, imho.
>>
>>1086290
Sometimes we get summer snows too.
Also third on merino wool. XXL and Felleskjopet has good wool clothing options, though the latter can be a bit expensive last time I checked. Quality costs.
>>
>>1085946
The area near Kilpisjärvi is really nice
>>
>>1086749
If I recall correctly, you don't even need a card for emergency calls in europe.
>>
>>1091447
A SIM card, I mean
>>
File: FB_IMG_1501410534713.jpg (77KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1501410534713.jpg
77KB, 720x960px
Is T-Mobile any good in the Lapland?
>>
File: telia.jpg (213KB, 964x732px) Image search: [Google]
telia.jpg
213KB, 964x732px
>>1092278
In Sweden Telia have the best coverage.
>>
>>1092278
If you have network coverage at all, it should be OK. You can usually switch network via your phone. Calling should be fine anyway, MMS might be troublesome when roaming with foreign operators.
>>
>>1092316
In the fells you only talk with reindeers anyway. And maybe an arctic fox or two.
>>
>>1086594
>>1086596
ǿ :^D
>>
Bumping with a question.

I'm planning on traveling around Norway and Sweden for a while. Probably close to a year, but I obviously won't be a resident.

Should I get a local bank account and debit card to make things easier or will my EU one suffice?
>>
As a member of the Norwegian Red Cross S&R team, you sound like a racist fuck OP, please stay home so I don't have to waste my time saving you from your own ineptitude.
Most of our missions involve clueless foreigners who vastly overestimate their own skills, underestimate the nature, or a combination, and you sound like a situation waiting to happen.

The mountain crossing between Bergen and Oslo in April needs to be done on skis, not on foot, and I can definitely tell you are in no way prepared for a solo back country ski trip.
>>
>>1094499
You can't get an account without a id, at least not in Sweden. Probably same in Norway. It's not like you just go and open bank accounts. Get a debit card from your EU country and it should work.
>>
>>1084792
what is a good source of FREE maps for the back country in norway?
>>
>>1095904
Try norgeskart.no
>>
>>1095993
thanks
>>
This sounds like a stupid plan.
Work your way up. Take small, multi day trips. Then go do the Cape Wrath Trail or something, so you have a medium-sized hike under your belt.
If you still want to go on a 3000 kilometers hike through subarctic land then, do it.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.