[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Transmission flush?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 31280695.jpg (223KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
31280695.jpg
223KB, 1024x768px
The car I have recently purchased has been showing signs of rapidly degrading trans fluid, do not get me wrong it still has a pink color albeit more purple, but after the car has gotten up to temp you can see the degraded fluid; it looks a mix between pink and brown. The car has about 110000 miles on it, and the previous owner had the fluid flushed at 60,000 miles. My question is would it be wise to get a flush or simply drop the pan? Regardless I kind of want to change the trans filter. The car is also a 2005 Grand Marquis.
>>
I am just assuming it is a little past due of changing the trans fluid. Any suggestions? This shit is driving me up the wall.
>>
>>17894850
This is actually normal for some cars. My Toyota's transmission fluid is all discolored soon after it's replaced. You might want to see if it's common for your car to do this
>>
>>17894850
Also it's typical to just do a drain and refill and not a fresh. Make sure to measure how much you drained and put that exact amount back in. Definitely get the filter while you're down there
>>
>>17894884
I have read similar things as well, but I want that stuff to be as fresh as possible. I have had horrible luck with cars. I am very paranoid.
>>
>>17894891
>not a fresh
not a flush*
>>
>>17894891
do you think it is feasible to flush the system over time by continuing draining the trans?
>>
>>17894850
do not flush it, it causes more problems than it ever fixes.
you dont want to push fluid back through anything or knock it loose from the filter and get it stuck in a valvebody

just drop the pan, clean it out and and get a new filter in it.
>>
>>17894906
Yeah after a few flushes it'll be in real good shape. Honestly as long as the fluid isn't burnt your trans should be in good shape
>>
>>17894850
Unless there's a really good reason (i.e. some large consensus/service bulletin it's good for you model), always drop the pan and just change it.

You can never hurt the trans by dropping the pan and changing the fluid unless you put in far too much or too little.
>>
>>17894925
The fluid does have a strong pungent smell that may seem burnt, but the fluid is not extremely degraded. It looks like a purple color when the car is completely cool, but after reaching ambient, or normal operating temp it is a mixture between pink, and brown.
>>
>>17894936
Purple isn't bad desu. And it'll have a smell, but as long as it's not like legitimately burned you're fine. Just drain it and put a new filter in, you'll be ahead of 90% of people
>>
>>17894850
No need to flush, just drain and refill.

Get the transmission fluid from amsoil, amazing stuff.
>>
I appreciate the info you guys. I went to a shop and upon getting it inspected for a tag they recommended me to have a trans flush, because it seems dirty as well as my brake fluid. I do not want to completely right the garage off as complete shysters, but I am also concerned about the longevity and quality of my vehicle, and its engine fluids.

I have also read by some people that getting the fluid flushed causes no harm, but as anon said: >>17894921

I am thinking I will just drop the pan.
>>
>>17894930
That is another thing I am worried about is putting too much or too little fluid back in. Other than measuring the amount of fluid extracted, are there any other methods to tell the appropriate amount to put back in.
>>
>>17894958
The dexron 6? Yeah that's the best

>>17894993
Drop the pan, you can even drain and fill but it's not necessary.
>>
>>17895064
check the dipstick before you drain it. If it looks good, you should put in exactly what you take out. Then double check the dipstick afterwards
>>
File: torque converter drain plug.jpg (165KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
torque converter drain plug.jpg
165KB, 1024x768px
Your Grand Marquis *might* have a drain plug on the torque converter as well. Look on the bottom of the bell housing. If there's a rubber plug there, then you more likely than not can drain the torque converter. Picture related, this is the hole in the bellhousing that is normally covered with a rubber plug to access the drain plug. Obviously the plug is removed in this phono.

Pull the rubber plug, turn the motor by hand, watch for the drain plug to come around.

Drain the torque converter
Pull the pan
Change the filter.

Put everything back together and fill it back up. Draining the TC means you'll probably need about 18 quarts of ATF. Check your owner's manual.

Whatever you do, fuck a flush. Those things are bullshit. Drain, filter change, and fill is always the best route.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.