[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is nitrogen air for tires a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: wetrfds.jpg (12KB, 500x260px) Image search: [Google]
wetrfds.jpg
12KB, 500x260px
Is nitrogen air for tires a meme?
>>
Air is already 70% nitrogen
>>
>>17889168
Yes.
>>
>>17889168
>Is nitrogen air for tires a meme?
Depends on how poor you are or if your tire shop is any good.

Pure nitrogen expands less with temperature because there is no water in it.
>>
>>17889168
>nitrogen air
lmao
>>
>>17889239
Ask them how they remove the moisture from the air already in there when they fit it.
>>
No, they're a scam.

If anyone can like a double blind, or even an ACTUAL study on the use of pure nitrogen vs 70% nitrogen, that would be great.

There never is, however.
>>
Getting the nitrogen added for free at costco is pretty painless though.
>>
>>17889168
Not really but over hyped. If your car caught on fire the tires won't explode. You really need it if you live were in the summer 80+f and winter less than 32f the pressure doesn't change to much. You can mix air and nitrogen it's what I do.
>>
>>17889594
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmnZ4-EUbIk
>>
>>17889752
There is actually an argument against air in the tyres, because they might explode when the car is on fire?
>>
File: 1454995491355.jpg (57KB, 500x296px) Image search: [Google]
1454995491355.jpg
57KB, 500x296px
>>17889752
>>
>>17889775
One of the main reasons it's used in motorsports but it's also more temperature resistant than air because air has water in it.
>>
>>17889778
So this is what ayys and arabs do before cattle mutilation?
>>
>>17889788
A tyre filled with nitrogen can explode, too.

The only reason they use it in motorsports is the increase in PSI, but even then that is easily adjusted.
>>
>>17889813
Yeah but there's no oxygen in it so it doesn't fuel a fire
https://youtu.be/qE7v_D90b5g 0:26
>>
>>17889168
as someone who had a part time job at a dealership doing PDI and preparing cars to be sold, and having to fill tires with nitrogen all day I can tell you yes.
It's literally a jewish marketing scheme.
>>
>>17889828
>that tiny amount of air is going to make any sort of difference when 15-35 gallons of gas catches on fire
>>
>>17889168
yes, but Argon isn't
>>
>>17889996
>wanting to fill your lungs with a gas heavier than air
>>
>>17889752
>You can mix air and nitrogen
Are you sure that's safe?
>>
>>17890015
I don't know it might all go to one side of the tire and make it off balance
>>
>>17890015
air is already 80% nitrogen. when you fill your tires up with nitrogen at a dealer you're getting 93%
>>
>>17889557
>Ask them how they remove the moisture from the air already in there when they fit it.
You're right, there is a little from the ambient air that fills the volume of the tire before it goes on the rim. You can ask them to purge some gas from the tire after it is partly filled up. Do that a few times and the amount of water vapor in there will be negligible.

Air compressors by contrast condense water in the air canister. Over time, water builds up by virtue of being compressed, then condenses as that heated compressed air cools inside the canister. You literally have to purge the water out of an air canister or the thing can rust from the inside out due to the build up of water inside it over time.
>>
Can I fill my tires with hydrogen for less rotating mass? I don't care about fire hazards, I'm not going to sit in my burning car anyway.
>>
>>17890053
Who runs an air compressor without an air dryer on the output? Not any shop because it fucks the pipes and tools faster than a ford fucks a gearbox and turbo. The air they put in will be as dry as the nitrogen.
>>
>>17889239
>>17889788
Wrong. It has nothing to do with water and everything to do with partial pressures of gases. Different gases expand and contract at different rates dependent on temperature. By reducing the the concentration of constituent gases in air to one gas (e.g. Nitrogen) you have more predictable wear cycles and less extreme wear.
>>
>>17890229
I'd think that you'd lose the hydrogen faster than air because the atoms are so small. Any chemists or physics feel free to correct me on this
>>
>>17891111
>partial pressures of gases
what do you think water vapor is?
>>
>>17891092
>The air they put in will be as dry as the nitrogen.
Not even close. Those things dry out the air some (only 90%) but pure nitrogen is almost 100%
>>
>>17889168
What if you filled your tires with hydrogen?
>>
>>17892026
>What if you filled your tires with hydrogen?
Hydrogen molecule is pretty small. You'd probably find that you'd lose pressure quickly.
>>
>>17891126
hydrogen balloon deflates in like 12 hours? while air balloon deflates over days
>>
File: IMG_9474.gif (10KB, 325x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9474.gif
10KB, 325x215px
>>17891994
Yes, however, there is a difference between wear due to pressure and corrosion of the tire wall from water, which is what the original poster was speaking to (or if that was you, what you are deflecting from). Also, the percentage of water vapor relative to nitrogen and oxygen in air (1% near sea level and 0.4%) is minimal and doesn't contribute shit to partial pressures, you dildo.
>>
>>17892541
0.4% atmospheric average*
>>
>>17892541
>is minimal and doesn't contribute shit
nah man, when water vapor heats up it expands a lot. That's why steam was used for locomotives. Water vapor expands disproportionately compared to the rest of the gasses.
>>
>>17892597
We're not talking about superheated steam here, Rankine. Even if water vapor expanded within that temperature range as much as you apparently think it does (it doesn't by much until above the boiling point of water), the much disproportionately larger contributor to throwing off that pressure curve is Oxygen.

Read a goddamn book every once in awhile.
>>
If it's a meme then why do airplane tires have Nitrogen Only written on them
>>
>>17889168
Even if it is a meme, have a cylinder of nitrogen at home for tires satisfies my autism.
>>
>>17889771
Why do people say nitrogen is a bigger molecule? It's not. They're both diatomic molecules, so assuming its "size" is given by the length of the bond between two points, nitogen has a much stronger and therefore shorter bond length at about 1.1 angstrom whereas oxygen is about 1.2. The van der waals radius (a measure of how "close" two separate molecules can get before "hitting" each other and bouncing away) is about the same, 1.55 for nitrogen atoms and 1.52 for oxygen atoms. If anything it's got to have something to do with oxygen being more "soluble" in rubber and being able to permeate better. Either that or the oxygen is reacting with the rubber and depositing into it, reducing free gas and therefore reducing pressure. This sounds like it could deteriorate the tire, but I have extremely high doubts that the effect would have an impact before even the most stingy drivers have to replace the tires from normal wear. And the outside of the tire is still reacting with atmospheric oxygen, anyway.

In any case, my intuition is that these are one of the things that makes absolutely zero difference except under the most extreme circumstances (and of course the often unnoticed placebo effect). It makes sense for F1 teams to want to squeeze in every possible advantage they can, especially something cheap like bottled, dry nitrogen vs. plain air.
>>
>>17889796
pork is not halal. The lady in the picture is clearly white. Try emailing your grandparents stale old unfunny memes instead of shitting up /o/.
>>
File: expert2.jpg (161KB, 400x450px) Image search: [Google]
expert2.jpg
161KB, 400x450px
>>17892597
no no no no. They use steam because of its high heat of vaporization, not the coefficient of thermal expansion. The transition from liquid to vapor and vice versa requires a fuckton of energy for water compared to other substances, and therefore the transfer of a given amount of energy requires less of said substance, and is therefore more efficient with water.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.