[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Coming to the end of my engineering degree, thinking of building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Engine.jpg (98KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Engine.jpg
98KB, 960x720px
Coming to the end of my engineering degree, thinking of building a small gocart.

going to build a small v8 engine, ideal size around 100/150cc to minimise work / service issues i want to use some common parts.

aside from RC cars (typically too small) RC planes seem to be a good source of parts. single piston 10CC engines provide a good supply of internal parts.

Does anyone else know where i could find some small engines for getting parts from?

alot of other problems though im going to source a centrifugal clutch / gearbox from a 75cc bike, or maybe a 125cc scooter.
>>
Mill that shit yourself, nerd.

Design an engine and get the bits machined.
>>
>>13665798
Do you ACTUALLY learn how to build shit with an engineering degree?
>>
>>13665819
>same poster
I'm only first year but im finding engineering is more learning how to tell people what to make instead of learning how to make it.
>>
>>13665819
Yes.

Not specifically, usually, but you learn everything needed to actually design things and then you have to just get those designs made.
>>
>>13665811
That was my initial thought, but i couldnt find a good way to get high quality piston rings. then i realised i could get them from RC engines... then i realised i could just get the pistons, conrods and a few other bits n pieces.

if this were an actual uni project i might build the whole thing from scratch.

>>13665823
depends on what field you go into i think its different for burgers, but mine also included going through fitting and turning.
>>
>>13665845
>if this were an actual uni project i might build the whole thing from scratch.

Should be doing the exact opposite. When you build things just for yourself, you should try to build it from scratch. When it's worth a grade you don't want things to go wrong a,d you don't have the time to experiment with different designs.

Just take you time and think through what you want to accomplish, and then jump right into it. Mistakes are just things you learn from and will make your next project better.
>>
>>13665798
Things that will never be built: the post
>>
>>13665874
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3KdpzL3Hkk

check it out, fam.
>>
>>13665798
>going to build a small v8 engine, ideal size around 100/150cc
Lolwut?
>>
>>13665877
Oh wow just like the one OP will never build!
>>
>>13665858
well id still want a single piston to blueprint first, i have access to machines but not free material. im still a broke as shit uni student at the moment.

>>13665874
ill be sure you give you my blog when i start :)
if i dont find anything better this was the engine i was thinking of buying and either ordering extra pistons or as another anon has said, i could just blueprint the piston and make my own.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/airplanes/airplane-engines-15042--1/zp-26cc-gas-engine-zenep26

>>13665881
want to make a little go-cart for my own curiosity [spoiler]and my son[/spoiler]
>>
>>13665893
Alright bro, will be neat to see at what point you give up
>>
>>13665900
probably the first time i blow it up
>>
>>13665877
lol pushrods
>>
>>13665819
No, thats why we have you retards who we pay less
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.