[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Controlling turbo boost pressure, what solution, and why? Building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 2015-10-06 20.50.26.jpg (699KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-06 20.50.26.jpg
699KB, 2048x1152px
Controlling turbo boost pressure, what solution, and why?

Building my first turbo bmw E36, and I bought an engine kit that came with a S2 wastegate.
The last owner said the spring was set to 1,4 bar.

I have the VEMS V3.33 ECU, and this can control boost eletronically.
Would I have any real gains with using this?
>Pic related,
>>
File: 1444175412656.jpg (82KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1444175412656.jpg
82KB, 640x640px
Electronic control allows precision, requires tuning ability.

If you're asking here, you have no business tuning, let alone installing a turbo.
>>
I'm hijackin this thread. Could somebody explain how exactly you control the amount of boost a turbo pushes?
>>
>>13649706
bunch of ways bro

i can up the boost by crushing the vacuum lines with vice grips
>>
>>13649706
waste gate
>>
>>13649041
>1.4bar
>~20 PSI
...yeah I think someone lied to you
>>
>>13649740
He didn't specify the turbocharger. It might be semireasonable
>>
>>13649706

Two main ways.

First is your wastegate, which is set to open at a certain pressure referenced from your intake system post-turbo. The wastegate is 100% mechanical, basically just a spring-loaded valve. What spring you put in your wastegate determines at what pressure it will open and therefore your maximum boost pressure.

Second method is through a boost controller. A boost controller hooks up inbetween your intake pressure reference and your wastegate, and basically controls WHEN your wastegate sees the reference pressure. You can set your boost controller to open up at a certain pressure and therefore allow your wastegate to open up. This is how you set maximum boost with a boost controller.
>>
>>13649740
It's a Holset HX35. Dont worry, the engine will handle it.

>>13649686
You gotta start somewhere by learning right?
I simply do not know what methods gives you the best results, but I do know the basics behind controlling the pressure.

>>13650486
Should I atleast get a manual boost controller, if I dont get an electrical one? Are we talking alot earlier spool compared to the mechinal one?
>>
>>13652340
Am I missing something?
2 seconds in Google tells me the HX35 was designed for 5 - 6.5 litre engines and the biggest an E26 ever got was 3.2, not to mention that they are rated up to 50psi (~3.4 bar)...
>>
>>13654107
In Norway/Sweden we run them on BMW M50B25 engines. With 1,4 bar in boost I've got around 450 ish horsepower, with not to shabby spool.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.