[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you guys weld/know how to weld? My friend and I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (1MB, 1960x2213px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1960x2213px
How many of you guys weld/know how to weld? My friend and I just started welding in Auto Shop today. We have a small garage on the side that has a welder and a plasma cutter. We've only dealt into the welder, doing beads and welding scrap metal and an old brake rotor. Our shop teacher is showing us the basics, as well as a bro who takes welding classes. I have to say, it's really fun. I enjoy it a lot and can't wait to practice enough to be able to work on cars! Any of you have experience in welding?
>>
I've never welded before but I'm sure I could easily learn it seeing as every career welder is a stupid, useless moron with no knowledge or skills besides welding.
>>
File: DSC_0840.jpg (1MB, 1600x1071px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0840.jpg
1MB, 1600x1071px
Yep, necessary skill if you do chassis fab work or body work yourself. MIG and arc welding is easy to learn, TIG is a bit harder. Learning how to set up the machine is what you need to learn the most, speed/technique comes with practice.
>>
>>11345169
I went to school with a guy...he could weld, and he could dive...was an instructor. Today he travels the world, and deep sea/under water welds for 6 figures a year.
>>
>>11345195
>arc welding
almost all welding is arc welding, why can't you just call it stick
so many old people call it arc.
>>
>>11345169
>I've never welded before but I'm sure I could easily learn it
Ha
Hahahaha
>>
Ive tried a bunch. I enjoy brazing with the torch the most.
>>
>>11345195
MIG and TIG are easier than stick welding IMO. They ALL take practice.
>>
I took both welding classes and did an independent study in welding during high school. Then went on to graduate from a 9 month all-day welding program at a tech school, during which I placed first in state and seventeenth at nationals in the SkillsUSA welding competition.

That said, welding sucks but I guess I'm alright at it.
>>
>>11345312
FUCK WHY ARE WELDERS SO MODEST
>>
File: 2013-01-07_03-19-44_60.jpg (1MB, 2592x1458px) Image search: [Google]
2013-01-07_03-19-44_60.jpg
1MB, 2592x1458px
i like doing it but i'm not very good. i tend to blunder through complex projects instead of practicing lots
>>
>>11345323
Yeah, you do suck, throw that junk in the trash.
>>
>>11345298
>>11345195
What are the differences? Mine is a stick welder I think. We just have filler metal fed through the welder.
>>
I enjoy welding but I suck at making a good bead. I partially blame that on my welder but it's mostly me

That said, shit I weld together stays together for the most part, so there's that.
>>
Yeah. I'm actually really liking it, very fun and out of my comfort zone. Once I get more practice I'll want to try working on exhaust or custom manifolds or something cause we have a shit ton of piping in the weld garage.

Any tips or techniques you guys wanna share?
>>
>>11345393
Take your time. Don't overheat your workpiece(s). Start simple. Welding piping and manifolds are different animals, depending on the complexity of the manifold.
lmao, captcha was overcl education
>>
>>11345145
I'm decent with oxy/acetylene welding and brazing.
Worse at mig, but my mig machine is a pos.
>>
>>11345621
Oxy/acetylene is really obsolete imo. Brazing CAN still be useful, but TIG is a HELLUVA lot better in most cases.
>>
>>11345145

Welding is easy as fuck.

Being good at welding is not that hard eithert.

Being exceptionally good at welding is actually difficult.

But anyone with functioning arms and a functioning brain can pick up welding in no time.
>>
File: IMG_0003.jpg (421KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0003.jpg
421KB, 1600x1200px
>>11345645
It's good for thinner steel.
And it's great for cutting, bolt removal, and forming too.
>>
I've gotten half decent with my little Hobart on flux core. I can make solid, strong, fairly decent looking welds with not to much of a mess to clean up.

Really want to step up to gas though, just been to lazy too.
>>
I've dabbled in different types of welding. Made a roof rack for my golf with MIG which turned out good. I'm not very fond of stick, but I can do it decently. I'm learning TIG right now, and I feel it's the hardest to do well, but it's necessary for most types of fabrication so I'm really trying to get it down. MIG is my favorite though
>>
>>11345709
>Thinner steel
TIG
>Cutting and bolt removal
Plasma.
>>
>tfw always burn holes with MIG

feels bad man
>>
>>11345795
buy me those machines and I'll use them
>>
File: SMAW.jpg (228KB, 614x495px) Image search: [Google]
SMAW.jpg
228KB, 614x495px
>>11345348
What you described is MIG
Pic related is stick
>>
>>11345348
>What are the differences?

MIG (Metal Inert Gas) also known as GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding) uses a spool of wire fed through your welding gun, which is fed by pulling the trigger. You use a mixture of gases to shield your weld pool.

TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) also known as GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) uses a tungsten electrode and a separate filler metal, and the weld pool is protected by a gas, usually 100% argon, or a mixture of helium and argon. You adjust the amount of heat using a foot pedal.

Arc welding, Stick Welding, or SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding) uses electrodes (sticks of filler metal) covered in a flux held in an electrode holder.

Oxy fuel/ Oxy Acetylene welding uses a mixture of oxygene and a fuel gas (map gas, acetylene, propane, etc) to heat up metal until a weld pool is formed.

There are more than just those, like flux core, which is basically mig but with a flux coated wire instead of a shielding gas, but those 4 are kind of the basics.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.