[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fake Russian Facebook Accounts Bought $100000 in Political Ads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 1

File: 07FACEBOOKRUSSIA-master768[1].jpg (90KB, 768x518px) Image search: [Google]
07FACEBOOKRUSSIA-master768[1].jpg
90KB, 768x518px
https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-ties-more-than-5000-political-ads-to-bogus-russian-accounts/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/technology/facebook-russian-political-ads.html

>Providing new evidence of Russian interference in the 2016 election, Facebook disclosed on Wednesday that it had identified more than $100,000 worth of divisive ads on hot-button issues purchased by a shadowy Russian company linked to the Kremlin.

>Most of the 3,000 ads did not refer to particular candidates but instead focused on divisive social issues such as race, gay rights, gun control and immigration, according to a post on Facebook by Alex Stamos, the company’s chief security officer. The ads, which ran between June 2015 and May 2017, were linked to some 470 fake accounts and pages the company said it had shut down.

>Facebook officials said the fake accounts were created by a Russian company called the Internet Research Agency, which is known for using “troll” accounts to post on social media and comment on news websites.

>The disclosure adds to the evidence of the broad scope of the Russian influence campaign, which American intelligence agencies concluded was designed to damage Hillary Clinton and boost Donald J. Trump during the election. Multiple investigations of the Russian meddling, and the possibility that the Trump campaign somehow colluded with Russia, have cast a shadow over the first eight months of Mr. Trump’s presidency.
>>
Fakenews? Fakebook? When will it end?
>>
Russians have been trying to amplify the cracks in American society for a long time by applying pressure with internet propaganda. This is very unsurprising.
>>
This is how the Russians got those 10000 extra white people to vote for Trump in Michigan and Wisconsin, by lying to them.
>>
I really hope the US is running some sort of counter-op for the social discord this is creating. If it's true then Russia is responsible for the BLM riots, the damage caused by "peaceful" protests in regard to social justice lately, etc.
>>
Blatant fake news
>>
WAAAAAGH! WAAAAAAAGH! I'M STILL BUTTHURT THAT TRUMP WON WAAAAAAAGH!

Fuck off.
>>
>>175997
>>176009
Russians detected
>>
WHY AREN'T I 50 POINTS AHEAD, YOU MIGHT ASK?

AMERICA WHAT THE FUCK???
>>
>>176021
>Facebook staff members on Wednesday briefed the Senate and House intelligence committees, which are investigating the Russian intervention in the American election. Mr. Stamos indicated that Facebook is also cooperating with investigators for Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel, writing that “we have shared our findings with U.S. authorities investigating these issues, and we will continue to work with them as necessary.”

>Mr. Stamos wrote that while some of the ads specifically mentioned the two candidates, most focused instead on issues that were polarizing the electorate: “divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum — touching on topics from LGBT matters to race issues to immigration to gun rights.”

>Facebook did not make public any of the ads, nor did it say how many people saw them. But Mr. Trump regularly offered outspoken comments on those issues during the campaign, denouncing “political correctness” and rallying his supporters on the right.

>In its review of election-related advertising, Facebook said it had also found an additional 2,200 ads, costing $50,000, that had less certain indications of a Russian connection. Some of those ads, for instance, were purchased by Facebook accounts with internet protocol addresses that appeared to be in the United States but with the language set to Russian.

>In a January report, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Central Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency concluded that the Russian government, on direct orders from President Vladimir V. Putin, was responsible for hacking Democratic targets and leaking thousands of emails and other documents in an attempt to hurt Mrs. Clinton’s campaign and mar her reputation.

Good luck denying this happened.
>>
>>175997
>>176009
High effort posting as always, although I guess it's hard to actually argue a claim that is unsupported by evidence
>>
Still stoking this Russian collusion fire, huh?
>$100,000
hoo boy, that certainly led to the collapse of a billion dollar campaign
>>
I like Russia
>>
>>176025
Way to read the article there, genius.

>The report also found that hundreds of Russian “trolls,” or paid social media users, had posted anti-Clinton messages. But it did not name Facebook or address the question of advertising.

So it turns out that the Russians had their own ShareBlue, but with unlimited resources to spread the pro-Trump/pro-Russian agenda.
>>
>>176028
>unlimited resources
I wasn't aware that Russia had invented the replicator
>>
>>176043
They have something even better, a federal reserve bank of their own that can print unlimited rubles.
>>
>>176044
>If we keep printing money, then we can all be rich
Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?
>>
>>176046
--Ben Bernanke, 2005
>>
>>176023
fake news
>>
>>176059
Are you saying Facebook is lying?
>>
polacks do it for free
>>
>>176023
what?
>>
>>176059
>Get paid to call everyone a shill
"Accuse your opponents of what you yourself are doing."
>>
>>175937
>Mus Russia

I can't believe the left still pushed this nonsense when it was proven and still is shown that hillary and the democrats pay people to shill online. IT happened and its still happening.
>>
>>175942
yeah it's all russia.
>>
>>176079
Even if that was true, how does it excuse the Russians buying fake ads on facebook in order to influence the election?
>>
>>176023
Good. But it pailed to what Clinton and the DNC did. Either way. The cunt lost and you lost the blue wall. a few facebook ads didn't make that happen.
>>
>>176080
Are you saying Facebook perjured themselves at the Senate and House Intel Committees when they described the Russian fake news efforts?
>>
>>176028
>100,000
>unlimited resources

Either way I'm glad they helped. Whatever it takes to keep democrats and the left out of office.
>>
>>176082
>But it pailed to what Clinton and the DNC did
According to whom? Breitbart?

>>176084
Cпacибo
>>
>>175937
>Most of the 3,000 ads did not refer to particular candidates but instead focused on divisive social issues such as race, gay rights, gun control and immigration
Ah so media groups - I mean RUSSIANS - have been shillbaiting on facebook
Those fucking hackers!! How dare they garner such divisiveness!
>>
>>176094
>downplay, distract, deny
What about foreign interference in a US election don't you understand?
>>
>>176100
Countries whose constituents are dumb enough to be influenced by foreign money deserve what they get. The United States bought Russia's president 25 years ago and while all real patriotic citizens would be abhorred, I'm mostly laughing.
>>
>>176137
Just because they weren't successful rigging the election in your country this doesn't mean they won't try next time.
>>
>>176100
that it's a liberal fantasy.
>>
>>176143
Your narrative keeps changing.
>>
>>176085
Correct the record? Literal paid shills.
>>
>>176081
whats the problem? Believe it or not that's not illegal.
>>
>>176094
the funny thing is that this is the playbook of the left. The identity politics and race politics they have used for the past 2 years were used against them.
>>
>facebook officials testify under oath in Congress that Russians spread fake news that helped Trump
>somehow this is leftists fault
I don't understand this
>>
Yeah sure $100,000 really made a difference to multi-billion dollar campaigns. Does the media think everyone is drooling idiots?
>>
>>176202
>Facebook is remaining tight lipped about the methods it used to identify the fraudulent accounts and Pages that it has since suspended. One search for ads purchased from US internet addresses set to the Russian language turned up $50,000 worth of spending on 2,200 ads. Facebook said about one-quarter of the suspect ads were geographically targeted, with more of those running in 2015 than 2016. According to The Washington Post, some accounts may be linked to a content farm called Internet Research Agency in St. Petersburg.

>Facebook said it is implementing changes to prevent similar abuse. Among other things, it's looking for ways to combat so-called cloaking in which ads that appear benign redirect users to malicious or misleading websites once people click through. That allows bad actors to circumvent Facebook's ad review process.
>>
>>176203
I really doubt the Russia stuff. I doubt all of it. And I don't feel like they invest more than any other country in internet propoganda
>>
>>175940
Our domestic media do this too and have for decades. You gotta keep the working class divided so that our oligarchy can get rich off of our suffering.
>>
>>176023
>>In a January report, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Central Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency concluded that the Russian government, on direct orders from President Vladimir V. Putin, was responsible for hacking Democratic targets and leaking thousands of emails and other documents in an attempt to hurt Mrs. Clinton’s campaign and mar her reputation.

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/15/what-if-the-dnc-russian-hack-was-really-a-leak-after-all-a-new-report-raises-questions-media-and-democrats-would-rather-ignore/

The emails were leaked, it wasn't a hack. More importantly the content of the emails indicated corruption within the DNC. This Russia nonsense is just being used to distract people from the fact that the DNC isn't the progressive worker supporting party it pretends to be and hasn't been for ages.

>Former NSA experts say it wasn’t a hack at all, but a leak—an inside job by someone with access to the DNC’s system.

https://www.thenation.com/article/a-new-report-raises-big-questions-about-last-years-dnc-hack/
>>
>>176100
You mean Israeli lobbying, right?

Lookup Z street.
>>
>>176100
Had to wageslave a little bit but I'm back for a lengthy and probably well-wasted reply.

The narrative being "Russians are using ad-space on social media to brainwash the masses" is hilariously ironic given that your own government does exactly that to it's own people, exactly what they are accusing others of, and double ironic given that the entire narrative is in itself an example of this.

basically, tldr muh ruskiez

here's another nugget, with no evidence or peer-review required because fuck you: the blue-gold dress 'meme' that permeated into even the normiest of social spheres was a sort of pilot test of social osmosis
>>
>>175937
>$100000
So this is the power of the famed Russian hackers.

I'm sure just about every country with a vested interest in the outcome of the election contributed more significantly.
>>
>>176028
oh no .. hundreds of people posted their negative opinions of one candidate .. how was this allowed
>>
>>176242
>>176226
>>176224
>>176210
>>176209
>>176206
>One search for ads purchased from US internet addresses set to the Russian language turned up $50,000 worth of spending on 2,200 ads. Facebook said about one-quarter of the suspect ads were geographically targeted, with more of those running in 2015 than 2016.

Do you Trump-blowing Russian shill idiots have any idea how many people could have seen one of those 2200 ads on facebook? it numbers in the tens of millions.
>>
>>176274
Oh no somebody bought political ads during an election.
>>
>>176288
They weren't just ads, they were ads that linked to RT articles with fake news in them. This is a violation of FEC regulations and US law. it's like you want Russia to interfere with the election.
>>
I don't understand why it's so hard for Trump retards to grasp this story. Facebook testified under oath there was Russian shenanigans in the last election and you faggots want to blame it all on the left. Do you think the left just made this stuff up? Do you think this isn't really happening?
>>
>>176309
So when are we locking up salon or occupydemocrats or huffingtonpost or any number of other garbage tabloids that spread fake news during the election?
>>
>>176345
None of those spread fake news during the election, and whatever outlet told you they did was the actual fake news.
>>
>>176274
Mind your manners, liberal. One more comment like that and you'll be in the ghulags faster than you can say "free government healthcare"
>>
>>176350
So what does Trump's cock taste like? Salty?
>>
>>176351
Haha you wish you knew. Get in line fag
>>
>>176349
>OccupyDemocrats
>Salon
>HuffingPaint
>Not weapons grade fake news
>>
>>176354
Prove they are fake without using Breitbart as a source. Oh wait, you can't because they aren't.
>>
>>176357
Lol it's a wasted effort. You're an Ideological leftist. You'll never admit to the left doing anything wrong, it hurts your ego.

You'll probably try to shift blame to the right wing after reading this somehow
>>
>>176360
This story isn't even about the left. This story is about Russia rigging the last US election. You just want to blame it on the left because it helps you feel better about Trump having to cheat to win.
>>
>>176357
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/occupy-democrats/
http://www.snopes.com/tag/huffington-post/
This ones my favorite, the story of a group of literal shills dropping integrity for clickbait ad revenue
http://www.politico.com/media/story/2016/05/the-fall-of-saloncom-004551
>>
>>176362
Classic
>>
>>176366
None of that says anything about fake news. It's like you don't know the difference between fake and news that is simply biased.
>>
>>176384
>Occupy has no articles better than half true when put to scrutiny
>First 5 huffpo articles listed are unproven or blatantly false
>"We needed stories, and I quit because that started to mean go to twitter and find something to be outraged about"
You could at least open a link before claiming that they dont support me
>>
>>176100

Give a single example or piece of evidence that the Russians interfered with the election

Hillary spent way more on her stealth shilling
>>
>>176387

>Fake news: news that didn't actually happen

>Also fake news: news that's not really news

>Also fake news: mundane stories spun to invoke a political narrative using sophistry

>Also fake news: news that lacks verifiable sources and could be entirely artificed by the news site itself

You see? It's all fake news
>>
>>175937
How many ads has Israel bought over the years? Where are the articles of their interference in so many of our elections?
>>
I'm getting pareidolia, chewbacca is on the back of the woman's head. It's so weird in that article, Facebook and Russia...No it's another story to make more money with hillary over illegally imported chewbacca masks.
>>
The reason that liberals are so afraid of voter ID laws and stopping illegals from voting is because California comes back into play if you remove all the fraudulent votes
>>
>>175982
They have been since the starting swell of the movement. Really, it was mostly in response to us first using the same techniques to amplify unrest and contention following Putin's re-election to presidency. I've little doubt that there was fuckery in on his part in their own elections, but he still would have won fair and square. The US fanning the flames of dissent following the results was not a wise decision, but that's hindsight 20/20.
>>
>>175937
Facebook allows ad companies to spam their site with ads, then gets surprised when ads get spammed. They only have a problem with this because of the Russian interference narrative. I'm wondering how much American interference in others countries elections FB allows, because my bet is quite a bit.
>>
>>175982
America has been interfering in foreign elections for decades. This is just another country serving America a taste of its own medicine.
>>
>>176018
Your political stance is different than mine therefore Russian haxor. That's the only possible answer.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.