[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

7 Los Angeles High Schools Add Vegan Food To Menu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 0

The program comes after a group of vegan students requested plant-based food on the menu

The new menu will include a veggie burger, among other meals

Vegan food has been added to the menu of seven Los Angeles Unified School District [LAUSD] schools.

One vegan meal choice will be featured on the high schools' menu, as part of a pilot program introduced by former Board President - and vegetarian - Steve Zimmer.

The program was instituted after a group of vegan students launched a campaign - the Earth Peace Healthy Freedom campaign - which urged the board to adopt a vegan menu for LAUSD schools.

The students' campaign was also supported by animal rights activist and vegan actor Pamela Anderson.
Vegan

The pilot program, which was approved last May, is taking effect in one school in each of the seven school board districts.

The menu includes vegetarian chili with tortilla chips, a teriyaki veggie patty sandwich, a bean tamale, and a veggie burger.

The cost for the new plant-based dishes is the same as for other school meals. All lunches are free, or 40 cents for most LAUSD students; full-cost lunch is $3 to $3.50.

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/7-los-angeles-high-schools-add-vegan-food-on-menu
>>
Can't be worse than the stuff they feed our children in there already.
>>
>>175572
Considering that chicken nuggets and hamburgers cause cancer, this is a huge step in the right direction.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html
>>
>>175550
Is it any good though?
>>175578
>Muh meat causes cancer
According to that list red meat has the same odds of causing cancer as working nights and drinking hot coffee or hot tea. Red meat isnt even a "known", just a "maybe" on that list since people who eat red meat overlap with people also get cancer in the west in the same way that people who eat red meat also get the flu or win scratch off lottery tickets or choose to buy a blue car. Maybe if you were talking specifically about overprocessed garbage like whackarnolds or cured meats, but just red meat is largely coincidental
>>
>>175587
>he seriously thinks the west doesn't worship cured meats

Least it keeps your gastroenterologist employed.
>>
>>175587
I see you're having trouble reading the website which lists the known carcinogens. Ill post them all for you.

Known human carcinogens
International Agency for Research on Cancer
Group 1: Carcinogenic to humans

Acetaldehyde (from consuming alcoholic beverages)
Acheson process, occupational exposure associated with
Acid mists, strong inorganic
Aflatoxins
Alcoholic beverages
Aluminum production
4-Aminobiphenyl
Areca nut
Aristolochic acid (and plants containing it)
Arsenic and inorganic arsenic compounds
Asbestos (all forms) and mineral substances (such as talc or vermiculite) that contain asbestos
Auramine production
Azathioprine
Benzene
Benzidine and dyes metabolized to benzidine
Benzo[a]pyrene
Beryllium and beryllium compounds
Betel quid, with or without tobacco
Bis(chloromethyl)ether and chloromethyl methyl ether (technical-grade)
Busulfan
1,3-Butadiene
Cadmium and cadmium compounds
Chlorambucil
Chlornaphazine
Chromium (VI) compounds
Clonorchis sinensis (infection with), also known as the Chinese liver fluke
Coal, indoor emissions from household combustion
Coal gasification
Coal-tar distillation
Coal-tar pitch
Coke production
Cyclophosphamide
Cyclosporine
1,2-Dichloropropane
Diethylstilbestrol
Engine exhaust, diesel
Epstein-Barr virus (infection with)
Erionite
Estrogen postmenopausal therapy
Estrogen-progestogen postmenopausal therapy (combined)
Estrogen-progestogen oral contraceptives (combined) (Note: There is also convincing evidence in humans that these agents confer a protective effect against cancer in the endometrium and ovary)
Ethanol in alcoholic beverages
Ethylene oxide
Etoposide

Etoposide in combination with cisplatin and bleomycin
Fission products, including strontium-90
Fluoro-edenite fibrous amphibole
Formaldehyde
>>
>>175587
Haematite mining (underground)
Helicobacter pylori (infection with)
Hepatitis B virus (chronic infection with)
Hepatitis C virus (chronic infection with)
Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) (infection with)
Human papilloma virus (HPV) types 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59 (infection with) (Note: The HPV types that have been classified as carcinogenic to humans can differ by an order of magnitude in risk for cervical cancer)
Human T-cell lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-1) (infection with)
Ionizing radiation (all types)
Iron and steel founding (workplace exposure)
Isopropyl alcohol manufacture using strong acids
Kaposi sarcoma herpesvirus (KSHV), also known as human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) (infection with)
Leather dust
Lindane
Magenta production
Melphalan
Methoxsalen (8-methoxypsoralen) plus ultraviolet A radiation, also known as PUVA
4,4'-Methylenebis(chloroaniline) (MOCA)
Mineral oils, untreated or mildly treated
MOPP and other combined chemotherapy including alkylating agents
2-Naphthylamine
Neutron radiation
Nickel compounds
N'-Nitrosonornicotine (NNN) and 4-(N-Nitrosomethylamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone (NNK)
Opisthorchis viverrini (infection with), also known as the Southeast Asian liver fluke
Outdoor air pollution (and the particulate matter in it)
Painter (workplace exposure as a)
3,4,5,3',4'-Pentachlorobiphenyl (PCB-126)
2,3,4,7,8-Pentachlorodibenzofuran
Phenacetin (and mixtures containing it)
Phosphorus-32, as phosphate
Plutonium
Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxin-like, with a Toxicity Equivalency Factor according to WHO (PCBs 77, 81, 105, 114, 118, 123, 126, 156, 157, 167, 169, 189)

ok get ready...
>>
>>175587
>>175596
>>175599
~~~~~~Processed meat (consumption of)~~~~~
Radioiodines, including iodine-131
Radionuclides, alpha-particle-emitting, internally deposited (Note: Specific radionuclides for which there is sufficient evidence for carcinogenicity to humans are also listed individually as Group 1 agents)
Radionuclides, beta-particle-emitting, internally deposited (Note: Specific radionuclides for which there is sufficient evidence for carcinogenicity to humans are also listed individually as Group 1 agents)
Radium-224 and its decay products
Radium-226 and its decay products
Radium-228 and its decay products
Radon-222 and its decay products
Rubber manufacturing industry
Salted fish (Chinese-style)
Schistosoma haematobium (infection with)
Semustine (methyl-CCNU)
Shale oils
Silica dust, crystalline, in the form of quartz or cristobalite
Solar radiation
Soot (as found in workplace exposure of chimney sweeps)
Sulfur mustard
Tamoxifen (Note: There is also conclusive evidence that tamoxifen reduces the risk of contralateral breast cancer in breast cancer patients)
2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-para-dioxin
Thiotepa
Thorium-232 and its decay products
Tobacco, smokeless
Tobacco smoke, secondhand
Tobacco smoking
ortho-Toluidine
Treosulfan
Trichloroethylene
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation, including UVA, UVB, and UVC rays
Ultraviolet-emitting tanning devices
Vinyl chloride
Wood dust
X- and Gamma-radiation
>>
>>175587
here's the list that inclused RED MEAT as a probably carcinogen

Probable carcinogens
International Agency for Research on Cancer
Group 2A: Probably carcinogenic to humans

Acrylamide
Adriamycin (doxorubicin)
Androgenic (anabolic) steroids
Art glass, glass containers, and press ware (manufacture of)
Azacitidine
Biomass fuel (primarily wood), emissions from household combustion
Bischloroethyl nitrosourea (BCNU), also known as carmustine
Captafol
Carbon electrode manufacture
Chloral
Chloral hydrate
Chloramphenicol
alpha-Chlorinated toluenes (benzal chloride, benzotrichloride, benzyl chloride) and benzoyl chloride (combined exposures)
1-(2-Chloroethyl)-3-cyclohexyl-1-nitrosourea (CCNU)
4-Chloro-ortho-toluidine
Chlorozotocin
Cisplatin
Cobalt metal with tungsten carbide
Creosotes
Cyclopenta[cd]pyrene
DDT (4,4'-Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane)
Diazinon
Dibenz[a,j]acridine
Dibenz[a,h]anthracene
Dibenzo[a,l]pyrene
Dichloromethane (methylene chloride)
Diethyl sulfate
Dimethylcarbamoyl chloride
1,2-Dimethylhydrazine
Dimethyl sulfate
Epichlorohydrin
Ethyl carbamate (urethane)
Ethylene dibromide
N-Ethyl-N-nitrosourea
Frying, emissions from high-temperature
Glycidol
Glyphosate
Hairdresser or barber (workplace exposure as)
Human papillomavirus (HPV) type 68 (infection with)
Indium phosphide
IQ (2-Amino-3-methylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoline)
Lead compounds, inorganic
Malaria (caused by infection with Plasmodium falciparum)
Malathion
Merkel cell polyomavirus (MCV)
5-Methoxypsoralen
Methyl methanesulfonate
N-Methyl-N´-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine (MNNG)
N-Methyl-N-nitrosourea
>>
>>175587
Nitrate or nitrite (ingested) under conditions that result in endogenous nitrosation
6-Nitrochrysene
Nitrogen mustard
1-Nitropyrene
N-Nitrosodiethylamine
N-Nitrosodimethylamine
2-Nitrotoluene
Non-arsenical insecticides (workplace exposures in spraying and application of)
Petroleum refining (workplace exposures in)
Pioglitazone
Polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs)
Procarbazine hydrochloride
1,3-Propane sultone
~~~~~~Red meat (consumption of)~~~~~~~~
Shiftwork that involves circadian disruption
Silicon carbide whiskers
Styrene-7,8-oxide
Teniposide
Tetrachloroethylene (perchloroethylene)
Tetrafluoroethylene
Trichloroethylene
1,2,3-Trichloropropane
Tris(2,3-dibromopropyl) phosphate
Very hot beverages (above 65 degrees Celsius)
Vinyl bromide (Note: For practical purposes, vinyl bromide should be considered to act similarly to the human carcinogen vinyl chloride.)
Vinyl fluoride (Note: For practical purposes, vinyl fluoride should be considered to act similarly to the human carcinogen vinyl chloride.)

I put the special characters around the meat part so you wouldn't miss it.
>>
>>175603
>>175600
>>175599
>>175596
Just like the time the WHO and the IARC classified coffee as a "possible carcinogen" and then backpedaled hard to the point where they claim coffee is now protective against cancer, this decision is motivated more by politics then by hard evidence. Call me in ten years when the long-term meta-analyses have been done and we're going off of more then just "potential" risk.
>>
>>175605
>Not under known, under probably
>Only one known is "processed garbage from whackarnolds"
Wow, sure showed me copy pasting what I told you was there retard.
>>
>>175608
But the have proof that Animal protein consumption triggers the release of the cancer-promoting growth hormone IGF-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcIkhffzrkk

They aren't going to find some evidence that makes that go away. Increased IGF-1 makes cancer grow.

I'm sorry I know meat is very tasty and convenient. If you won't give it up at least eat cancer fighting foods with them (raw broccoli, berries)

>>175611
No you implied that red meat "maybe" causes cancer. But it's not a maybe, it's a high probability.

Do you think red meat causes increased IGF-1, but not cancer? How?
>>
>>175614
Nice mockumentary I didn't click on because Youtube is not a valid source. You clearly are just shilling an agenda by this point and have no interest in serious discussion of the facts at hand provided they disagree in any way with your point. Bye.
>>
>>175614
>A hormone that builds muscle will also make tumors bigger if you already have cancer
:thinking:
>>
>>175616
Looks like you're running away from the scientific studies which demonstrate that meat consumption leads to cancer growth.

Here's the original source. All profits go to charity so you can really trust it.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/protein-intake-and-igf-1-production/

>>175618
Yes, IGF-1 stimulates cancer growth. What's your point, that it grows muscles too? It's not worth it.
>>
>>175619
>Nutritionfacts
Is charity his favorite whore? Half the site is snake oil and the other is "doctor" gregors magical cure all elixers
>>
>>175620
You made that joke already. Charity as in all the profits go to helping people.

His grandmother was send home to die of heart disease. She went on a healthy diet and lived another 30 years. That's why Dr. Greger dedicates his life to uncovering the truth about health foods and disease.

Isn't that nice?
>>
>>175621
Which "charity"
>>
>>175620
What snake oil. and exliers are you referring to?

If spices lower blood pressure, that's not his fault. Foods can cure disease, my friend, it's the truth. Our leading killers, heart disease and diabetes, are curable with a whole food vegan diet.

This is the redpill nobody wants to hear.
>>
>>175624
Why are you bothering us with this shit go shill on >>>/ck/
>>
>>175623
https://nutritionfacts.org/faq/

All donations go straight to the 501c3 nonprofit that keeps the site running, providing free nutrition facts for the world. We would never be able to get this kind of information from a biased corporation.

>>175625
Are you really so bothered? You can hide the thread if you hate science that much.
>>
>>175628
Oh boy I wonder what it "costs" to keep the site running
>>
>>175630
You think he became a doctor just so he could run a website scam... that only receives money from donations?

The site doesn't even have ads. And the videos are too short to monetize on youtube, shut up already.
>>
>>175633
>that only receives money
Really blasts your brain mass
>>
>>175646
Not it doesn't. How do you run a charity without receiving money?
>>
>>175649
Note the word "profits". Not "all money". a portion is taken to cover the costs, and then the remainder, what would be profit, is given away. The question now is how much does it "cost" him to operate the site? Does he state this
>>
>>175676
>The snake oil cured his nan, that proves he isnt a con artist!
Leave this thread to die, you arent the first to try reason and you wont be the last. Best to suffocate the thread of attention before he starts spamming every vegan story he finds to spread the good word of saint gregor and his cure to all diseases and ailments and unpleasent humors
>>
>>175691
He managed to bump a thread to its limit. It is best to ignore the vegan op to wallow in his autism.
>>
>>175619
>Yes, IGF-1 stimulates cancer growth. What's your point, that it grows muscles too? It's not worth it.
>It's not worth it

[Citation Needed]

I hadn't realized biochemistry in humans had been mapped out in its entirety, or far along enough to the point to where we could start making strong declarations on insulin growth factor. To think what we can accomplish in less than 100 years time - it appears humans just aren't that complicated after all.

You may be on the right track, but you also may be very far from the truth. You could be offering people advice and knowledge on potential risks, but you're hardly in a position of authority on the subject to be demeaning to people. Your snarky attitude just makes it easier to treat you like the child you behave like.
>>
>>175676
All this information was stated in the faq I posted. It's a basic charity that functions like a basic charity does.

Quit trying to cast doubt. It's such a low argument.

>>175691
>>175694
Yeah don't look at the science or you might want to eat less bacon. What a nightmare.

I already apologized for being so harsh before. Get over it already.

Why are you so offended by health news? I'm posting it for the people who care, fuck off it you aren't into it. You don't need to encourage others to be as reckless as you.
>>
>>175705
[citation needed]

Do you really want a citation, or are you casting doubt? Because I posted a citation in that post you linked to.

Here's a basic rundown of how IGF-1 causes cancer.

IGF-1 as One-Stop Cancer Shop
https://youtu.be/ayuVb9-nFVo

and here's the sources.

Yang SY, Miah A, Pabari A, Winslet M. Growth Factors and their receptors in cancer metastases. Front Biosci. 2011 Jan 1;16:531-8.
Zhang Y, Ma B, Fan Q. Mechanisms of breast cancer bone metastasis. Cancer Lett. 2010 Jun 1;292(1):1-7.
Kleinberg DL, Wood TL, Furth PA, Lee AV. Growth Hormone and Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I in the Transition from Normal Mammary Development to Preneoplastic Mammary Lesions. Endocr Rev. 2009 Feb;30(1):51-74.
Salvioli S, Capri M, Bucci L, Lanni C, Racchi M, Uberti D, Memo M, Mari D, Govoni S, Franceschi C. Why do centenarians escape or postpone cancer? The role of IGF-1, inflammation and p53. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2009 Dec;58(12):1909-17.
Endogenous Hormones and Breast Cancer Collaborative Group, Key TJ, Appleby PN, Reeves GK, Roddam AW. Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1), IGF binding protein 3 (IGFBP3), and breast cancer risk: pooled individual data analysis of 17 prospective studies. Lancet Oncol. 2010 Jun;11(6):530-42
Rowlands MA, Gunnell D, Harris R, Vatten LJ, Holly JM, Martin RM. Circulating insulin-like growth factor peptides and prostate cancer risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Cancer. 2009 May 15;124(10):2416-29.
Gronek, Piotr ; Rychlewski, Tadeusz ; Słomski, Ryszard ; Stankiewicz, Krystyna ; Lehmann, Joanna. Insulin-like growth factor 1. Studies in Physical Culture and Tourism. 2005;12(1).
Piantanelli L. Cancer and aging: from the kinetics of biological parameters to the kinetics of cancer incidence and mortality. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1988;521:99-109.
CDC Growth Charts. CDC. 2000.
>>
>>175691
Bruh, wrong post? I'm not arguing for him

>>175712
Yeah it's a basic charity and most charities are a scam. He probably bills his hours as a medical consultant and consider any reading of any medical material research. He's probably paying himself 200 bucks and hour and he's accountable to...no one. He probably doesn't even read half of what he claims. When the audit comes in he points to the website and goes "see this is my work it's totally worth the 120 g's I pay myself a year lol"
>>
>>175779
>Yeah it's a basic charity and most charities are a scam
That might be a fair point, but I'm not sure it's true. Especially a charity like this one, where he's only getting donations for random people. It's not like he's going after tax dollars.

>120 g's
Regular doctors make more than that, but I understand the point you're making.

We shouldn't trust anybody, not even charities.

The good thing is all the information he presents is just the latest scientific studies on food and medicine. You can check out his sources for yourself, it's all right there. Click sources, it shows them all.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.