[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Google Buys Off Non-Profits To Silence Them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1984-google-big-brother.jpg (28KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1984-google-big-brother.jpg
28KB, 400x300px
Google is likely silencing criticisms of its conduct — and quasi-monopolistic status — by purchasing influence across political non-profits and think tanks, according to a Wednesday-published report in The New York Times.

Part of Google’s political influence is its funding of political think tanks and non-profits — aside from direct lobbying of politicians — presumably to shape messaging beneficial to its interests. Criticism of the company’s operations from think tank and non-profit beneficiaries of Google’s donation is presumably silenced.

Google's parent company, Alphabet Inc., is the second-largest company in the world. Its market capitalization as of this article's publication is $647.8 billion. It handles over 81% of the world's internet searches and is the world's largest operator of internet advertising.

Barry Lynn, formerly director of the New America Foundation's (NAF) Open Markets program, was terminated by NAF after expressing support for the levying of a $2.7 billion fine against Google via European antitrust regulators.

Google is one of the NAF’s benefactors, having donated millions of dollars to the left-wing and Democrat-aligned think tank. The NAF has received more than $21 million from Google, Alphabet Inc.’s executive chairman Eric Schmidt, and Schmidt’s family foundation.

The NAF is headed by left-wing Clinton loyalist Anne Marie-Slaughter, a professor of politics and international affairs at Princeton University. She was a senior State Department policy strategist between 2009 and 2011, under Hillary Clinton’s secretaryship.

Lynn is launching a new non-profit — its website entitled “Citizens Against Monopoly.” It accuses Google of censoring criticisms of its business conduct:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/20454/nyt-google-buys-non-profits-silence-criticism-robert-kraychik#

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/us/politics/eric-schmidt-google-new-america.html
>>
Lynn is launching a new non-profit — its website entitled “Citizens Against Monopoly.” (https://citizensagainstmonopoly.org) It accuses Google of censoring criticisms of its business conduct:

GOOGLE, DON'T BE EVIL.

>>Our mission was to protect liberty and democracy from gigantic corporate monopolies. When we criticized Google for its monopoly practices, our program’s funding was cut.

Google’s attempts to shut down think tanks, journalists, and public interest advocates researching and writing about the dangers of concentrated private power must end. As an immense corporation, it’s wrong for Google to wield its vast financial and political power to try to silence the writers and researchers working to promote sensible antitrust enforcement. This kind of unethical behavior violates Google's founding corporate code of conduct, "Don't be evil."
>>
Don't forget about all the academics that Google purchases.

Money talks.
>>
>>173564
>"The idea was that we don't quite know what evil is, but if we have a rule that says don't be evil, then employees can say, 'I think that's evil.... Now, when I showed up, I thought this was the stupidest rule ever, because there's no book about evil except maybe, you know, the Bible or something."
-Google Chairman Eric Schmidt
>>
So it's really liberals who own the massive dystopian super-corporations?
>>
>>173573
Stop thinking left vs right

They're billionaire capitalists using political correctness to manipulate their customers into thinking we can trust them with our personal data.
>>
A big company lobbying for their interests???
Who would've thought??
>>
>>173573
No anon you see, they are on 'the right side of history' so the left can't do no evil, only the right is bad and if you criticise them you are a nazi.
>>
>>173561
>Part of Google’s political influence is its funding of political think tanks and non-profits — aside from direct lobbying of politicians — presumably to shape messaging beneficial to its interests.

And this is different from other large corporations how? Did daily wire do an article about Koch Industries funneling dark money through think tanks to influence elections and funding universities with requirements that liberitarian perspectives receive more attention in econ classes? What about oil multinationals?

Why is it only organizations supporting right wing platforms like the NRA and Exxon Mobil control think tanks? Google should get in on the business too. If we've learned anything from the past several years, it's that the political right will leave no opportunity wasted, will not hesitate a moment to take a steaming pile of shit on every unwritten or self-evident standard of political conduct that doesn't work in their favor.

>Criticism of the company’s operations from think tank and non-profit beneficiaries of Google’s donation is presumably silenced.

If the think tank just exists to serve as a loudspeaker for their donors, then find a worthwhile think tank that actually has a commitment to shedding light on a particular perspective.
>>
I'm surprised they're so concerned about the influence of money on politics, coming from a right-wing publication that disparagingly refers to the aim to overturn Citizens United as part of the Left's agenda.
>>
>>173577
Serving content and selling adspace is their entire fucking business model. So what do you want them to do, close up shop, shut down gmail, stop indexing content from the web, remove their social media platforms, then we'll all just hold hands and sing kumbaya. Because you can't trust those lefties with your data but heaven forbid you use yahoo or startpage.
>>
>>173573
(((liberals)))
>>
Brb, gonna make some LLCs that do nothing but spam anti google stuff on twitter until google gives me 200k to buy me out
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.