[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

150 treated in hospital after unknown chemical 'mist'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: _97567084_mediaitem97567083[1].jpg (9KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
_97567084_mediaitem97567083[1].jpg
9KB, 624x351px
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-41070002

About 150 people have been treated in hospital and hundreds more affected by an unknown gas which hit the East Sussex coast.

Birling Gap beach was evacuated on Sunday after people reported breathing difficulties, stinging eyes and vomiting when a "mist" appeared.

Sussex Police said on Monday morning the gas cloud appeared to have cleared.

Agencies are investigating the cause and have not ruled out either on-shore or off-shore locations.

In the past, chemicals have drifted across from European industrial units, but Sussex Police said: "Weather models suggest that an onshore source in northern France is very unlikely."

The Coastguard said it was working with its French counterparts and looking into vessels that were in the area at the time.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said it was "extremely unlikely" the substance involved was chlorine.
>>
>>172825
What the fuck?
>>
Could be a fuel discharge from a passing ship. If it was hot enough it could have evaporated along the coastline and drifted onshore.
>>
My guess: probably just a naturally occurring gas from decomposition. I used to live on a lake in Minnesota. Right after the ice melted, this same thing would happen in the morning for a few days at sunrise; exact same symptoms. Never bad enough to go to the hospital, but made it unpleasant for about an hour. I'm thinking it's something to do with decomposition in an anaerobic environment making ammonia or something like that.
>>
>>174591
It's a sea, not a lake. Never heard of this happening in a sea.
>>
I live in his area - there's been a few reports going around that they're looking for a Syrian man who may have something to do with it

News also says it was some company not disposing of their chemicals properly?
>>
>>172825
Sorry had a extra helping of English breakfast.
>>
>>174590
>Could be a fuel discharge from a passing ship. If it was hot enough it could have evaporated along the coastline and drifted onshore.

I am a marine engineer. The above post is factually incorrect and utter lunacy. Ship fuel doesn't "evaporate". The lightest stuff they use is "marine grade" (read: "gunk from the bottom of the tank") diesel. While it's possible someone was "blowing tubes" aka blowing soot out of the smokestack, that would quickly disperse and is not legal within 3 miles of shore.

I don't know what it was, but I can tell you with certainty that it wasn't a ship.
>>
>>174611
Nice to see you're eating well while the Muslims develop demonic water magic...
>>
>>174609
I'm putting my money on 'company being reckless' over 'random Syrian develops chemical weapons to attack beach'.
>>
>>174615
If you're an engineer you know what can happen if bumbling deckhands or officers fuck about with equipment.

It wouldn't be the first time someone fucked up and all of a sudden something that was impossible suddenly happened as if by magic.
>>
>>174615
>is not legal within 3 miles of shore.
Whatever happened isn't legal.
>>
This is how we lose precious ecology and biodiversity for the sake of cheaper shit.
The actions of one person can impose a cost on another.
And we're lucky it was just humans this time and no permanent damage could be done. Non-human life has no legal recourse without a human advocate and ecosystems are irreplaceable.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.