[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

California Crops Rot as Immigration Crackdown Creates Farmworker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 0

http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/immigration-worker-shortage-rotting-crops/

Vegetable prices may be going up soon, as a shortage of migrant workers is resulting in lost crops in California.

Farmers say they're having trouble hiring enough people to work during harvest season, causing some crops to rot before they can be picked. Already, the situation has triggered losses of more than $13 million in two California counties alone, according to NBC News.
The ongoing battle about U.S. immigration policies is blamed for the shortage. The vast majority of California's farm workers are foreign born, with many coming from Mexico. However, the PEW Research Center reports more Mexicans are leaving the U.S. than coming here.

To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans, but even that's not proving enough.
It's unclear exactly how widespread the labor shortage is for farmers throughout the country, which would have a bigger impact on prices consumers pay. Ultimately, drought and flooding have a more significant impact on farms. Low oil prices could also offset any impact of the worker shortage.But for farmers, who have seen net farm income fall 50% since 2013, any lost income could be potentially devastating.
>>
>>166431
>Mega farms who hired illegals are suffering after years of slave labor and federal crime

Good
>>
>>166431
>To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage

How very generous of them.
>>
>>166433
>slave labor
yes, clearly they were forcing workers to cross the border and do the same work for much lower wages
>>
>>166431
Maybe there is a silver lining. Falling profits for the big agriculture industry may finally get us some sensible immigration reform. Something that curbs illegal immigration without harming vital economic markets.
>>
>>166431
Lazy Californians.
>>
>>166431
>To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage
it's almost like it's working
>>
>>166481
Not really. The migrant lifestyle is still going to be a dealbreaker even if they do raise the wages. Seasonal work that requires you to live like a nomad, performing backbreaking labor isn't palatable to enough Americans for the agriculture industry to be sustained.
>>
>>166496
Yeah and pricing out the working class is really going to help with the problem. Lack of farm workers have been a an issue for a long time and immigration had nothing to do with it.
>>
And nothing of value was lost. Perhaps they should start respecting the law.
>>
>>166496
what is a migrant lifestyle? and why would some of the americans farmers seek to raise the minimum wages if the workers labour are not up to their expectation?
>>
>>166504
>what is a migrant lifestyle?
trailer and tent people moving from farmer to farmer.
>>
>>166505
why not restart bracero program
>>
Just more pro borderless & pro immigration bullshit. FAKE NEWS!
>>
>>166530
This.
California farmers are the biggest political bitches in this state. 5 years of drought and they pissed and moaned when they had to restrict water usage too.
>>
>>166451
Basically they would pay you quarters an hour because otherwise they'd call ICE.
>>
>>166453
>sensible immigration reform
Like no more illegal immigration, and legal immigration cut in half because Trump said so without knowing what he's talking about?

Most profits of the agriculture industry came from subsidies already, so this situation will only result in more subsidies.
>>
>>166588

Why not cut subsidies and stop all illegal immigration

Everyone wins
>>
Why not just throw up some flyers at the local high school and make some football players nigger rich for a weekend of work? Or do that "U-Pick" shit the wife drags me to where you buy the fruit after you go out and pick it yourself? Its not like picking fruit is terribly skill intensive, just sucks in the sun
>>
>>166564
So we should keep the boarders open, and stop deporting criminals, and allow farmers to exploit workers because you want cheap lettuce? What a typical, saintly liberal. Keep on signalling to your virtues.
>>
Oh no, businesses illegally paying people under the table are being forced to actually compete for labor on the up and up.
>>
>>166496
Agriculture cannot rely upon the duress of their laborers any more. The industry must adapt or perish. If they do perish, the demand for their produce still exists and will be replaced by imports or by new enterprise.
>>
>>166592
Because no one wants to do it for any amount of money

Farming isn't as easy as you think
Ranching is easier and even then that shot is a pain in the fucking ass
>>
>>166616
In like 50 years
>>
>>166625
Increased imports would fill the gap pretty quickly.
>>
>>166616
>Muh Free Market
>>
>>166629
>muh cuck fetish
>>
Who cares! This is America, we can afford $10 an Apple!
>>
This is how retarded libcucks are

>hurr durr we need to raise the minimum wage. No one can live on $8/hr
>hurr durr we need to let in more illegals so they can work for $3 a day

Liberalism truly is a mental disorder
>>
>>166641
As a classical liberal, I can assure you those people are only "liberal" in name.
>>
>>166641
if you force companies to pay people a living wage, what motivation would they have for hiring illegals?
>>
>>166646

None, but liberals argue both of these points simultaneously

The article spins this in a way that this is the fault of not enough illegals instead of it being the fact that the agriculture industry is broken and relies on illegals
>>
>>166622
I used to work a beef farm that needed rock pickers every year as well as some vinyards for grape tying. Thats why I suggest high school athletes. You dont want to do it for any amount of money. Kid me wanted to make a weeks (minimum wage) paycheck every day. Just raise what youll pay and people will come, sucks your business plan required illegals without human rights to keep you afloat.
>>
>>166590
That'd stop the obesity epidemic for sure.
>>
>>166431
>Vegetable prices may be going up soon, as a shortage of migrant workers is resulting in lost crops in California.

The Free Market and technology will fix it and if that means a $0.99 Taco Bell burrito will now cost $1.50, then it's well worth it keep illegal Mexicans out of the country.
>>
>>166742
>technology will fix it

So no jobs for Americans regardless? Then what exactly was the point?
>>
>>166433

THIS
>>
>>166451

see>>166449

there's a reason Americans wouldn't take these jobs before
>>
>>166753

You can’t live an American lifestyle picking tomatoes, nobody but third-world peasants are going to do that kinda work and only until they can get a better gig (usually dealing drugs...)

BigAgro and the Fast Food industry are fucking over the entire U.S. by importing bazillions of dirt poor, uneducated, assbackward and frequently, criminally prone Mexican peasants who then sponge off the American tax payer funded welfare system, all so Wall Street can make higher profits.

This mass economic migration to the U.S. is simply too high a price for the American People to pay and if that means produce costs more, then so be it.

Maybe people will go back to having backyard gardens, like our parents / grandparents had?
>>
>>166753
No, it means that those people will be freed up to do other things. Your position was just as dumb during the industrial revolution as it is today.
>>
>>166431
This might be a good result in the long term. Automated farming will eventually put tons of illegals out of a job, and I'm not sure how many states actually allow them onto welfare systems. We'd have a sizable perpetually unemployed beggar class before too long.
>>
>>166778
Sure, we are going to feed 350Million people with backyard gardens.
>>
>>166500
>farm labourers
>middle class
>>
>>166812

How about instead of "we", each person makes it the goal to feed themselves
>>
>>166812
>Sure, we are going to feed 350Million people with backyard gardens.

Indeed, it's shocking how many Americans starved to death before $0.99 tacos...
>>
>>166622
>>Because no one wants to do it for any amount of money
Except that's wrong and incredibly blind. There is a large sum of people who are unemployed and maybe even employed who would be willing to do these jobs. Where did the bullshit that no one wanted to do these jobs even come from? People are willing to do them, they just don't want to do it for what is basically slave labour wage.
>>
>>166812
>Sure, we are going to feed 350Million people with backyard gardens.

Easily done. One cucumber plant grows about 10 cucumbers, 6 to 8 inches long, that can be picked every other day. They grow insanely fast.

You knowing nothing about the topic at hand isn't anybody else's problem. So please don't offer an opinion if it's based on zero information.

Thanks, babe.
>>
>>166778
>This mass economic migration to the U.S. is simply too high a price for the American People to pay and if that means produce costs more, then so be it.
The gov will give even more subsidies to farmers to keep the prices at obesity-inducing levels.
And I'm pretty sure illegals didn't get welfare.
The previous situation was shit, but it was cheaper to tax payers.

>>166817
So you want to go back to pre-medieval times?

>>166851
>We'll feed on a cucumber a day
And you expect Europe to ship you rice bags like they do to starving children in Africa?
>>
>>166845
Because it was always looked at as menial and degrading work
The average american does not want to work on a farm and until you work on that fact no matter how much you raise the wages or benefits by nobody is going to want to do it

Financial implications if the job isn't the only reason to work or to not work
>>
>>166851
>>>166812
>>Sure, we are going to feed 350Million people with backyard gardens.
>Easily done. One cucumber plant grows about 10 cucumbers, 6 to 8 inches long, that can be picked every other day. They grow insanely fast.
>You knowing nothing about the topic at hand isn't anybody else's problem. So please don't offer an opinion if it's based on zero information.
>Thanks, babe.
Grew up in farming country, with farmer parents, took commercial agricultural classes, but you watched some youtube.
So skippy, what zones do your cucumbers grow in? How many months of production do you have in the zone you live in? Do they provide a complete protein? How many acres of bean and grain crops does it take to provide enough food for one person for subsistence farming? How much water does it take to irrigate? How often do you head out to the store? Let's hear your expert answers there grand poo ba of all thing cucumbers.
>>
Theres tons of homeless ppl in cali tht would love to work for real money insted of beg for chump change on the street, hire those fucks, im sure thy would even work for food
>>
>>166453
Trump is giving us sensible immigrant reform.
>>
>>166530
It shows that the problem is with these Farmers who enabled illegal immigration.
>>
>>166622
There are plenty of people in welfare that can work the fields.
>>
>>166638
Why do you idiots keep pushing that nonsense? Europe doesn't use illegal labor or slave labor on their farms and they aren't paying $10 for an apple.

You illegal alien enablers can't even for a coherent argument.
>>
Leftists love low skill, low education workers. Easier to buy their whole foods strawberries and brand name Gucci iphone covers.
>>
>>166888
The sort of crops that cause obesity(corn,wheat,soybeans) require very little labor.
>>
>>166431

US Embassy Kyiv Chargé D’Affaires George Kent Announces the Release of the U.S. Commercial Service Market Research Report on Fruit and Vegetables, at an Embassy Berry Picking Excursion to Ukraine’s Leading Berry Cooperative.

https://medium.com/@usembassykyiv/u-s-embassy-explores-ukraines-fields-of-opportunity-in-fruit-and-vegetable-sector-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE-83b9d4ea4a1e

enjoy your fresh frozen radiation fruits amerifats. you brought it on yourself.
>>
>>167016
I live in a state that is nothing but forest and farmland so for about 1/3 of the year, I can drive to an orchard or farmer's market and get anything I want, grown within 20 miles of my home. When a crop goes out of season, all of the fruit and vegetable stuffs my local stores or markets carry comes from South & Central America and the Caribbean; Chile, Argentina, and Costa Rica are the primary ones as well as Mexico. I can't see Ukraine dominating half of the western hemisphere's production of fruit. That article is written more of a feel-good piece demonstrating a relationship for economic futures in produce between East and West. I would say Ukraine would contribute ≤2.5% of the cumulative fruit produce imported.

Also, Medium.com is hardly politically neutral in its stances when browsing the articles.
>>
>>166644
Why are you so attached to a word. You aren't a liberal, you're probably a conservative. Grow up.
>>
>>166926
>Do they provide a complete protein?
I hate when stereotypes come true, but this farmer is as ignorant as they come. Just stick to growing potatoes and talk less.
>>
>>167022
>>>166926 (You)
>>Do they provide a complete protein?
>I hate when stereotypes come true, but this farmer is as ignorant as they come. Just stick to growing potatoes and talk less.
I enjoy when 13 year olds try and look smart and educated on 4 chan. I hope, you are 13, because any older and your posts would be the signs of a very pathetic person.
>>
>>167029
But that's what you did

You tried to act smart with those questions, but the fact that you mention "incomplete protein" shows total ignorance of nutrition. As i said, grow your potatoes and shut the fuck up. I would appreciate more purple potatoes, I can never find that shit wtf are you doing?
>>
>>166984
Fair enough.
Shame you'll only have these left.
>>
>>167038
I'm gonna need a band-aid with all that edge. If you honestly believe that, you may have brain damage. You should eat more vegetables, I hear they're good for that sort of thing.
>>
>>167020
I'm not sure I understand your remark. Why do you think I'm a conservative?
>>
>>166938
EU here. Unfortunatelly there have been incidents from the UK to Greece.
Crackdowns everywhere though.
>>
>>166433
This.
>>
>>166431
>To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans, but even that's not proving enough.

But I thought the farmers couldn't survive without their slave class. Or pay fair wages
>>
good now every person that has been bitching about Mexicans stealing their jobs can go work on the farm
>>
>>167058
Or maybe we can get the lazy blacks to do the work they are best suited for.
>>
>>167059
>when America get's its old farm equipment out of the shed
Long live the Confederacy!
>>
>>167040
mfw I accidentally triggered someone.

>>167064
kek
>>
>>166938
Who cares what you think, you live in a 3rd world country.
>>
>>167059
if they're lazy why are they best suited for that work ??
or is it that whites are even lazier ???
>>
>>167081
Sorry, try again:
https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpsee_e16.htm
>>
>>167083
Gotcha, so whites are better suited for that work because they're less lazy
Hey, I know it's been tough finding work after a tough four years at uni but there's an job opening for you right outside in the fields!
I hope you have you mud-boots cus it's gonna be rainy
>>
>>167087
Wrong again. I'm self-employed and live comfortably. Please, by all means, keep attacking my character. I love watching you gasp for air.
>>
>>167059
So that way you can complain about black people stealing your jobs?
>>
>>167031
>>>167029 (You)
>But that's what you did
>You tried to act smart with those questions, but the fact that you mention "incomplete protein" shows total ignorance of nutrition. As i said, grow your potatoes and shut the fuck up. I would appreciate more purple potatoes, I can never find that shit wtf are you doing?
Care to explain why incomplete protein is incorrect? Got anything medical or nutritional studies to back up your assertion...of course you don't, because you are either 13 or an adult with the mentality of a 13 year old and still believe that attempts to insult is winning. I bet you are the baddest of the bad asses on the quad skippy.
>>
>>167081
Only thing they are intellectually capable of.
>>
>>167091
These aren't our jobs these are the nigger jobs to get them off welfare.
>>
>>167113
So much for "gettin bak r jerbs"
>>
>>167117
Whites have always had jobs.
>>
>>167119
affirmative action would like to have a word with you
>>
>>166925
Of course it is seen as menial and degrading work. I've done a little bit of it myself and it honestly is. But the point wasn't people don't want to do it, it was people /won't/ do it. Which is obviously wrong.
>>
>>167126
I wish Affirmative Action worked as well as you faggots like to pretend it does.
>>
>>166496
>backbreaking labor
Use a pair of clippers and lifting 10-25lb boxes... Backbreaking...
WEW LAD
>>
>>166459
It appears Californian superiority has lead to some controversy.
>>
>>167373
>has obviously never been outside long enough to sweat
>has never worked in 100+ degree weather
>has never had to work the land much less mow grass for his daddy
Topkek, how sheltered are people nowadays?
>>
>>167427
>>has obviously never been outside long enough to sweat
Implying

>>has never worked in 100+ degree weather
115 boyyo

>>has never had to work the land much less mow grass for his daddy
I'm not a paleonigger, why should I? We have technology to do it for us.

>how sheltered are people nowadays?
Pretty sheltered.
>>
>>166888
>So you want to go back to pre-medieval times?
self sufficiency is a great ideal no matter what time.
>>
>>167520

>self sufficiency

It's cute that you think this exists. No man is an island. Capitalism sells you the illusion of self-sufficiency, but your money is worthless if you can't access basic necessities.
>>
>>166431
Apparently the legal ones don't want those jobs either.
>>
>>167524

Better than just having no basic necessities under communism
>>
>America runs out of food when they can't rely on a slave caste to grow their food for them

The dindus were right, you faggots can't build and run a country without slaves.
>>
>>166622
>Because no one wants to do it for any amount of money

Then how does any other country do it you fucking reject. You think the US is the only agriculture producer in the first world? Well they're the only fucking one that borders Mexico.
>>
>>167569
They aren't slaves... I mean they're being paid right?
>>
>>166926
I hope you learned enough in your agricultural courses to understand the concept of summer crops, winter crops, and the joy of pickling and mason jars.

You grew up with farmer parents, I come from a family from a farming village in the Former Yugoslavia. Make compot and pickle your veggies, grow your lettuce, cabbages, and kohl rabi in the winter, while growing your cucumbers and tomatoes in summer. My grandfather produced his own vegetables by turning half his backyard into a vegetable garden, and planted fruit trees out the front. He farmed his own bees, hunted his own meat. It's perfectly possible to feed yourself by actively trying to feed yourself, rather than just throwing some fucking cucumber seeds onto the snow and going REEEEEEEE GIVE ME MY FUCKING CUCUMBIES!
>>
>>167572
Yes, and slaves in the past were paid in food and threadbare clothing. You just put in place a middle man where your slaves have to go out and buy their own food and threadbare clothing. And it's below minimum wage food which is loaded with all sorts of garbage so you might as well be paying them in snail pellets.
>>
>>167573
Right..and you're family didn't buy any products from an outside source for flour, oil salt sugar or molasses, salt peter, lye (things required for high production preservation), and they grew their own pickling jars too! All this and enough time to spend hours on the internet in the evening talking about cucumber and potatoes feeding the world.
Only a child or a first world suburbanite has such fantasies of pure self sufficiency.
>>
>>167546

Where did I ever mention communism? I was talking about the fact that capitalism abstracts the dependence people have on other human beings. This isn't a value judgement... it's a fact of life that it's impossible for any human to live comfortably in isolation. Self sufficiency is an illusion, in any society.
>>
>>167583
>they grew their own pickling jars too!
Gooks did/do it.
>>
>>167583
>Right..and you're family didn't buy any products from an outside source

Of course they did, why the fuck are you trying to force the argument from growing your own food to needing to provide every single fucking material in your life? Did you learn to be so full of shit when you studied fertilization in your agriculture degree?

We're talking about people growing vegetables because mexicans aren't there to do it for them at less than minimum wage you fucking retard. The mexicans aren't growing fucking mason jars. Christ, put the goalposts down.
>>
>>166431
>farmer's who employed illegal immigrants for less than minimum wage suffering from not being able to break the law as much
someone needs to stop trump, this has be enough to impeach him.
>>
>>166888
>And I'm pretty sure illegals didn't get welfare.

70% of illegals get some form of welfare and that's before you factor in free schooling for their dozens of kids.
>>
>>167570
It's nice to know that America is just like any other country

Oh wait it's not
>>
>>167867
The words "pretty sure" are an invitation, and admission of opinion, rather than an assertion.

But you're making one. Care to convince us you aren't pulling 70% out of your ass?

oh and
>we, a global hegemony, are americanizing these foreigners with seasonal public schooling.
>this is a bad thing
oh no, we're teaching them English, the language that half the country wants them to speak. Oh no, we're exposing our children and theirs to each other. What ever will we do when two adult populations in two countries are on somewhat familiar terms with one another.
>>
>>166984
Most corn grown is for cattle feed. Not for human consumption.
>>
>>167856
>>>167583 (You)
>>Right..and you're family didn't buy any products from an outside source
>Of course they did, why the fuck are you trying to force the argument from growing your own food to needing to provide every single fucking material in your life? Did you learn to be so full of shit when you studied fertilization in your agriculture degree?
>We're talking about people growing vegetables because mexicans aren't there to do it for them at less than minimum wage you fucking retard. The mexicans aren't growing fucking mason jars. Christ, put the goalposts down.
It was you who made the claim that everyone can just grow everything they need in their back yard. You are the one moving the goal post, now claiming you where only saying some fruits and vegetables. Again proving you are a kid who knows fuck all about anything, especially when you don't even notice a sardonic response and you get your arguments by aping crap you read on the interwebs.
>>
>>166758
There's a reason American crops stayed affordable before
>>
Where to apply for farming jobs in California is?

>shortage of workers
>gather a handful of whites
>union for better wages
>????
>profit!

Seriously I'm an unemployed healthy white male (19) and I wanna do farm work where do I apply for these apparently "desperate" employers?
>>
>>168109
*crickets*

Hmm, it's almost like they don't desperately need (legal) workers like me and just greedily want (illegal) workers like Pablo.

FAKE NEWS.
>>
>>168109
>>168111
>Where do I apply to work at a farm
Maybe at a farm?
>>
>>168123
>drive across the entire continent
>walk up to random farm
>hey I heard there was a crisis lack of workers
>????

Maybe that's how you live your life, you fucking retard.
>>
>>168109
>where do I apply for these apparently "desperate" employers?
Unless you want to work like a Mexican for 16 hours a day for pay so low you have to cheat FICA to avoid starving, these jobs aren't for you.
>>
>caring about the financial welfare of the most over subsidized farmers in the world
Grow up children. Immigration reform is the least of american agriculture's problems
>>
>>166496

Not true.
I'm Italian, not American, so I'm somewhat neutral on your mexican situation.

I make around 1800€/month as a software engineer.
If I was offered 1800 to pick tomatoes, I probably still wouldn't because it's a dead end job, whereas mine has advancement opportunities.
So, in a limited way, what you say is correct - but this is exactly the same as saying I wouldn't work as a forklift driver in a warehouse.

But... there are plenty of people who make a lot less than me. Supermarket cashiers make 1000€ if they're lucky, and for most people "supermarket cashier" doesn't exactly offer fantastic career opportunities either. If you offered them 1500€ they'd happily go and pick the tomatoes.

>inb4 inflation

Yeah no, the price increase on crops would be negligible considering that with proper mechanization a single person can harvest hundreds of kg of produce a day.

But of course, it's still cheaper to get illegal africans and pay them 10€ a day, so the farmers (particularly in the south) do that instead.
>>
>>168129
Or call them if you're not a retard.

I'm sorry but are you really getting outraged that 4chan isn't walking you through how to get a job at a place you want?
>>
>>166431
>offering salaries above minimum wage

So minimum wage +1 cent?
>>
>>166845
>Where did the bullshit that no one wanted to do these jobs even come from?

Because a couple states in the south already tried it and crops rotted because nobody would take the jobs.

Americans feel above such work, because back breaking labor isn't the 'please gib middle-class' lifestyle people are demanding now-a-days because they don't understand that the temporary boom from the post-WW2 world the Boomers grew up in is gone forever. People don't want to go back to the farms after their parents or grandparents moved to the suburbs and got an education from the GI bill and worked in factories when every other countries factories were leveled from fire-bombs.

Might as well ask them to go back to the dust bowl and Spanish Flu days, which is very possible because people are predicting another dust bowl as being inevitable. No more breadbasket mid-west.
>>
>>168186
Pretty much this. We have inflated fragile egos and feel like we need to do work that reflects that status we want to be, not just doing work to benefit everyone else.
>>
>>168186
>predicting another dust bowl as being inevitable.
we are able to (and do) route water thousands of miles, know about grass, and can genetically engineer drought resistant grass.
>>
>>168186
>>168189
Or maybe it's because the median pay for farm laborers is ten fucking dollaroos(and that's only for workers that are on the books), which you can get at Target or Walmart in the AC.

If farm work paid 20$/hour you'd see a fuck ton more people willing.
>>
>>168181
Minimum wage is like 7$, average offer is 10.50.
>>
>>168232
pay me $10/hr and let me fuck the farmer's daughter
>>
>>168194
>we are able to (and do) route water thousands of miles, know about grass, and can genetically engineer drought resistant grass.

We have modern tools like that, true, but the Midwest is also running out of ground water, which would mean you guys would have to import water like California does to irrigate the land. That plus global warming means the mid-west will increasing become a desert. I believe the term 'uneconomical to farm' has been used to describe the midwests future once the groundwater finally vanishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1gsyhuHGgc
>>
>>167991
>It was you who made the claim that everyone can just grow everything they need in their back yard.

I'm not that guy and and it was plainly fucking obvious they were talking about food. Not fucking mason jars.

I'm surprised you're not going WELL YOU CANT GROW A UNIVERSE IN YOUR BACK YARD AND YOU NEED ONE OF THOSE TO LIVE IN. Fuck you.
>>
>>168170
> But of course, it's still cheaper to get illegal africans and pay them 10€ a day, so the farmers (particularly in the south) do that instead.

And that what it comes down, both in Europe and here in the U.S.; Wall Street only wants ever increasing profits for the Elite and they don’t give a shit how it’s done and what the fall out for everybody else will be.

Importing dirt-poor 3rd worlders is a bad idea no matter the host nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window
>>
>>168186
>Americans feel above such work, because back breaking labor isn't the 'please gib middle-class' lifestyle people are demanding

Because we have a fucking right to demand it.

Who the fuck are the elite to say that we must grovel and slave away, while they live like kings?

Fuck their greed for ever increasing profits, a _sustainable economy_ is the goal.
>>
>>168316

So... Socialism then?
>>
>>168316
>>168407
COMMUNISM!? NO.
>>
>>168316
Fuck you. If you have no higher education or drive to obtain higher education in order to actually get a job where you don't need to "grovel", then you have no right to demand a better job. Simple as that. You can't expect to just demand "better" jobs and then magically receive a job that takes the same amount of skill as a farmer but with a higher pay. (Unless you become an actor or some other bullshit job we pay way too much.)
>>
>>168512
Touché.
>>
What, they are forced to raise wages? Atrocious, this is worse than the hall of cost.
>>
>>167576
A machine has to be oiled, a worker receives money to oil himself.
>>
>>166934
A lot of homeless people don't want to work. If you're an outreach or some sort of homeless people helper, the homeless people will tell you that they want to work, but it's just for show. Most homeless people don't want to work, can't work, or are mentally unstable.

t. Weirdo who hangs around homeless people
>>
>>168109
>>168111
>>168129

Did you try googling? Fucking nigger.

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Farm
>>
>>168533
I always click on links from someone that says "fucking nigger". I mean it shows how good of a person they are!
>>
>>166433
That SLAVE labor just happens to be the only ones who can do that work dumbass.
>>
>>166562
When you don't get any food because California grows most of it then you will be a bitch won't you
>>
Actually the really cool thing about this is it's only the beginning and when crops fail all over. Most of you will die of starvation.
>>
>>168557
>>168560

Well that certainly sucks for anyone whose entire diet is almonds walnuts and grapes. The wheat, corn, beef and lesser vegetables/fruits of the country are grown elsewhere in great enough quantity that states are better off with farmer market produce anyways. Nearly everything grown in cali is a luxury fruit like kiwis and figs, so Im pretty sure nobody is going to starve due to the loss of cheap apricots and plums. One thing that we, as a nation, really lose from californias labor shortage though is almonds. 80% of the worlds almonds are from cali.
http://www.netstate.com/economy/ca_economy.htm
>>
How about prison labor.

Better yet, let the crops rot.

America throws away millions of tons of food every year.
>>
>>168563
Almonds are over rated as a health food

Pecans are best )https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-nut-2/) Seeds are better anyway and dirt cheap (flaxseed, sunflower seed). Of course peanuts are great too.

Plant food isn't going anywhere. If worse comes to worst, we'll have to stop killing animals for food and plant more crops.
>>
>>166433
Nearly all of them were on legal work visas. Trump is just a retard who doesn't know how hard it is to find anyone to do farm work. Not even people desperate for a job last more than a week.
>>
>>168597
Yeah bagging grapes is hard lol
>>
>>168189
Now to be fair West Virginia is a good reflection of Americans doing work for the good of the nation.

And what that got them is a trashed state, infections/diseases that their employers deny, and poverty out the ass with little to no hope for their children.
>>
California has had a history of labor exploitation since before the great depression, when the Californio's were forced to labor for the America landowners, to the great depression, and now in modernity they have switched the Okie's and panhandlers for Mexicans again, and the wheel just keeps moving along.
I for one welcome higher food prices, it might force the Amerifats to suck in their belts and if this is genuinely creating an employment opportunity, then we need to have a cut off or damping down of welfare in order to force people into labor. As the old adage goes, you don't work you don't eat.
>>
>>168170
Wagecuck here. I can confirm that. Point me to the fucking tomato fields with a higher hourly rate and I'll gladly head on over.
>>
>>167020
Conservative and liberal are not mutually exclusive terms.
>>
>>166433
This.

Watch, some farmer is gonna innovate the industry with some amazing invention now
>>
>>168555
Anyone can pick beans, you fucking couch growth.
>>
>>168597
If they were on legal visas why did they leave? Also, yeah i know ,picking a squash up is so fucking hard omg imagine picking it up A LOT wow so hard.
I do steel work, some tater picker can suck my dick.hard work, HAH
>>
>>171883
Trump is making it substantially harder for people to immigrate

also if picking squash is so easy why don't you go do it you retarded cracker, I know you ain't got no job.
>>
>>166431
Meanwhile in frozen wast land Canada, the Urban farmer makes $100,000 by bring back share cropping. https://www.youtube.com/user/urbanfarmercstone
>>
>>168563

The Brazilian rain forest is getting cut down so they can grow the corn to feed our cattle so Americans can eat at McDonalds cheaply and getting super fat and Diabetic, while all the soybeans getting grown that have been genetically altered are causing our sperm rates to drop. Meat should be pricey, its a luxury.

If the world economy collapses, it will look like a scooter tipping over in wall-mart and crushing the whole planet.
>>
>>171902
Should make the lazy niggers do it. After all it's literally what you were bred for
>>
>>171902
>Trump is making it substantially harder for people to immigrate
That's why we voted for him.
>>
>>172472
>Meat should be pricey, its a luxury.

Have fun fucking up nutrition lol. Also non meat sources if protein wold jack up in price toi
>>
>>168109
Are you bilingual? Spanglish wasn't good enough for them to hire me.
>>
>>168129
This is exactly why they hire illegals and not you.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.