[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bicycle commuting in Britain is not healthy. I tried it once

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 1504006949449.jpg (143KB, 1024x583px) Image search: [Google]
1504006949449.jpg
143KB, 1024x583px
Bicycle commuting in Britain is not healthy. I tried it once and my throat was sore for the whole day. Cycling is basically exercising and greatly exchanges the breathing volume. The exhaust fumes, tire dust and brake dust from cars and trucks is simply too much in British cities. Motorcycles and mopeds are even worse. These gasses are toxic make you feel light headed. The particulates damage your nerve system and greatly increase your chance on Alzheimer.

Not saying a car is much healthier either, but a) with a good modern car you have a great air filters
b) your breathing volume is much lower.

The train is still the best option for me. No car congestion and generally much cleaner air.

I would only consider commuting on a bicycle if you could constantly ride on country roads or independent cycle paths far away from car congestion, but the simple fact is you can't.
>>
I agree that train is best when available, but get checked by a doctor for EIA (exercise induced asthma) , I used to get that after cycling in the city until I was medicated for it, sounds weird but until I was diagnosed by chance I thought I was just unhealthy and air was bad.
>>
It's still healthy for you.
>>
could always use a mask
>>
File: 1503348573735.png (155KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1503348573735.png
155KB, 600x600px
I smoke cigarettes and never had the symptoms you just described other than dryness in my mouth when I have a particurarly snotty day and it forces me to mouthbreathe since my nose is clogged up.

Are you sure you don't suffer from some illness you're not aware of?
>>
OP, you have asthma.

For people without pre-existing trachea conditions, the bonus from the exercise far, far, far outweighs the negative effect of breathing more city air. If you live in the UK, anyway. Living in china might be a different story, but if you're there, cycling with a particulate filter mask might be a good idea.
>>
>>1104527
Even with a mask, the wind in your ears can cause permanent damage. One would have to wear a mask and those ear shields that go on your helmet straps.

At a certain point you'd might as well ride a motorcycle instead.
>>
>>1104539
Just go hide in a sealed and padded chamber to protect from the scary thing known as life
>>
>>1104508
Sounds to me like you're just making up excuses to stay fat and weak, OP.
>>
>>1104562
this
>>
>>1104539
Are you joking about the ear thing? Wearing a hoodie might help.
>>
File: Wind-Blox.jpg (216KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Wind-Blox.jpg
216KB, 1500x1000px
>>1104798
Nope, was linked this article by a friend since I already have hearing damage and tinnitus he thought I should try the little shields out.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/listen-cyclists-risk-hearing-loss/

>>1104544
uwotm8 I was jokingly saying in a roundabout way to wear a full-face helmet if you are that scared. I ride a bike to work but love riding my motorcycle for camping or longer distances

2wheelz4lyfe
>>
>>1104806
I tried those things, they don't really work.

You're right about hearing damage. Since I live in the Netherlands and have cycled from young age, I have had tinnitus. One day I just realized how freaking loud the wind really was but than it was already too late.

The best thing against it IMO is growing sideburns, I tried it once and it works fantastic, almost no windnoise at all. When I shave them off the windnoise is terrible again.

Google cycling cat ears, they work a lot better.
>>
I've never considered wind to be an issue. In winter my ears get too cold and burn but I've never even thought the wind could ever be an issue
>>
>>1104837
How damn bushy were your sideburns? I keep a full beard but keep it trimmed really short. Hate the way it looks when it gets longer.
>>
>>1104879
Something like this, but I just kept the beard as well.
>>
>>1104883
Sorry I would rather choose the tinnitus
>>
>>1104508
I am cycling in a city with pollution issues as well, would a FFP3 mask help?
>>
Europeans and their obsession with "clean" diesel...

Rotting all the precious old buildings away too.
>>
>>1105316
You can buy new Yuroshit cars that have an engine displacement of 0,9-1,2 litres.
Your average ameriwagon designed to haul the "average" american is still well beyond 2.0
>>
>>1104508
You cannot do it once and say it hurt so I will not do it again. Cycling makes you breathe hard which can cause discomfort in your nose/lungs/throat for a day or two. You breathe the same stuff in whatever your mode of transport by the way. So don't think car cabin filters will aid you. Same carcinogenics.

Cycle, get fit, cycle.l, cycle some more. Fitter you are, lower the need for huge lung fulls of air and the better you'll feel.
>>
>>1105323
>
The euro elite were so obsessed with the slight reduction of carbon dioxide, they missed the big picture of NOx, sulpher, and particle emissions. Limestone buildings are crumbling and people dying. Volkswagon scammed them good with "clean" diesel rather than do the hard engineering on electric.
Small engines are dirtier than bigger ones. Not enough power/heat for the emissions controls.
>>
>>1105399
Sulfur isn't something produced by combustion, no matter what type of engine you use.
It's natural part of the fuel unless filtered out during refining.
>>
>>1105399
You are delusional.

Big gas engines might have relatively smaller percentage of harmful exhaust gases, but the absolute amounts are still way bigger.

Modern euro car sub 2 liter diesel and has particle filters, multi way catalysators and all kinds of crazy emission systems that you won't see on y the big gas models.
>>
>>1105401
I'm pretty sure sulphur is filtered from diesel fuel and has been filtered for a long time. Something to do with the chemical process in the catalysator.
>>
>>1104508
just get a pollution mask if it bothers you that much.
>>
>>1104508
The health benefits from the exercise outweigh any negative impacts from pollution.

Cars are the problem. Wake the fuck up.
>>
>>1105404
those filters and catalysators are useless after hte first 50000 km driven, and are never replaced.
>>
>>1104883
Not aero at all desu
>>
>>1105420
unless you have a mask made of platinum catalyst you are not doing anything other than filtering particulates.
>>
>>1105552
Ignoring the fact that wearing a mask on a bike is silly particulates is what matters most because you can actually feel their effect.
I live in the supposedly most polluted region of my country and my friend who happens to live on the other side with plenty of coal mines and steelworks (not as polluted but vastly more large particulates in the ear) says that everytime he arrives on the train station here and takes a breathe he feels like fucking sanatorium.
>>
>>1105399
>t. Delusional Americuck living in smog

>>1105468
Except your car won't pass the yearly inspection unless it has a working catalysator.
>>
>>1104508
>Britain's air is hazardous to your health
>double down on what's made it that way
Great logic OP.
>>
>>1105646
>>t. Delusional Americuck living in smog
Chortle. Even Los Angeles has less smog then Paris these days.
>>
>>1105680
>i don't know nothing about smog yet i feel the need to speak.

Ive lived in beijing for two years. Watching smog's intensity was like watching weather, a daily thing you check every morning (used this site who tracks pollution worldwide http://aqicn.org ).

Los angeles is frequently over 50 pm 2.5 , especially in autumn while 50 in paris is considered smog. Never in paris have i seen real smog and when i saw parisians complaining about it and sending pics the sky was fucking clear..
>>
>>1104508
wear a kawaii face mask
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.