[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a panacea-type toolkit for bike repairs I should get?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7

File: New Technology.jpg (339KB, 1280x691px) Image search: [Google]
New Technology.jpg
339KB, 1280x691px
Is there a panacea-type toolkit for bike repairs I should get? Like, is there a WD40 and Duct Tape combo for Biking that you lot take to heart? I'm fairly new to biking and would appreciate any advice.

I'm headed to grad school in 2 weeks and my only mode of transportation is going to be my bike and other people's cars.
>>
File: hotdog_toothpaste.jpg (34KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
hotdog_toothpaste.jpg
34KB, 500x334px
a missing link, a tube, a co2 or pump and a multi-tool will get you out of most shit. make sure the multi-tool has a chain breaker. zip ties are good too and if you run presta get a valve converter and keep it on your keychain. I mtb and keep the link, core remover and adapter on there.
>>
File: RIP.jpg (105KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
RIP.jpg
105KB, 950x950px
>>1104347
tubes, a patch kit, pump, Topeak Hexus multitool, and a few inches of duct tape wrapped around a tool/pump/frame. If you have a tire that rips through the casing like pic related, you can throw the duct tape on the inner side of the tire to prevent the inner tube from bursting through until you can replace the tire. Ripped casing = RIP tire
>>
File: Topeak Hexus.jpg (26KB, 430x430px) Image search: [Google]
Topeak Hexus.jpg
26KB, 430x430px
>>1104347
The Topeak Hexus is my favorite multitool. It has all the hex keys you need, tire levers, chain breaker, and spoke wrench. At home, a good 5Nm preset torque wrench is cheaper than an adjustable torque wrench and handles most of your bike torquing needs.
>>
File: 5nm Torqkey.jpg (135KB, 1267x950px) Image search: [Google]
5nm Torqkey.jpg
135KB, 1267x950px
>>1104347
A portable nonadjustable 5Nm hex bit torque wrench is also a great tool
>>
File: haters gon hate my chain lube.jpg (56KB, 676x901px) Image search: [Google]
haters gon hate my chain lube.jpg
56KB, 676x901px
>>1104347
But if it really comes down to the same level as WD40 and duct tape in the auto world, it's saving your irreparable inner tubes for repurposing. They make good nonslip material for handle bar accessories, could be used to wrap around the drive side chainstay, I even cut a small portion to prevent dust from going into my frame mounted pump.

I also suggest a tiny squeeze bottle filled with 80w-90 gear oil because bike chain lubes are meme lubes
>>
>>1104347
I like my cheap Nashbar starter bike mechanic kit, but doesn't seem like they sell it anymore. A Park tools home mechanic starter kit will be a really good bet. You can really revitalize a bike by switching out a few components using just hand tools.

Does the place your grad school is have a conveniently located bike shop or even better, a bike co-op?

What kind of bike do you have?
>>
>>1104375
>bike chain lubes are meme lubes
the one I use works fine for me and comes conveniently packaged in bottles that I can take on a tour.

I agree that your method would be cheaper if I had a line on pure gear oil, but when I go pick up my new bike at the bike shop, there will be chain cleaner that keeps my chain running quiet with basically no work on my part except to spray it on and wipe it off when the chain noise starts to get annoying.
>>
>>1104347
Here's the thing: If you maintain your bike correctly and regularly, you shouldn't need to carry a whole toolkit with you. The most you should have to carry, ever, is a small multitool of some kind, a spare tube, and either a small pump (preferable; cheaper in the long run) or CO2 and an adapter (costs more in the long run but is faster to use). If you're touring and are riding away from home for days at a time you might want your multitool to have a chainbreaker, but really if you're going away from home on a bike trip your bike should be in top shape to start with, so again any repairs on the road should be few, far between, and generally minor. Of course if you're going on a long trip you need to plan for some sort of emergency support anyway, even if it's calling someone to pick you up.
>>
>>1104347
This is my toolkit that I bring on 50+ mile rides:
* Small multitool
* Mini chainbreaker (Park CT-5)
* Spoke key
* Mini pump. I like Topeak, but I've heard good things about the new Crank Brother klic pumps
* Patch kit
* Tire boot (AKA a few dollar bills)
* Spare tube
* Spare quicklink

I don't bring tire levers because I know I can easily get my tires on and off by hand, but good to have if your tires fit tighter.

On the topic of multitools, does anyone have any suggestions for a compact multitool that *doesn't* have a chainbreaker? I have Crank Bothers M10, but I'm really disappointed with how fast it's rusting. Shitty steel and shitty plating.
>>
File: p6pb15110269.jpg (808KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
p6pb15110269.jpg
808KB, 1600x1067px
A good multitool (with chain tool and spoke keys) and some tire levers will probably cover 99% of what you do if you're just riding for fun and not frequently changing things on your bike. Doing stuff with a tiny multitool can sometimes be a pain but it's a lot cheaper and easier if you're not using it too often. Obviously you also need some spares like tubes, powerlinks for your chain, gear cables etc.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.