[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup guys, im a pretty poor student studying medical engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1504008501370-865479305.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1504008501370-865479305.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Sup guys, im a pretty poor student studying medical engineering and finally scrapped together 150 bucks to buy an old road bike (pic related)
Turns out it was a pretty shit deal

A few days into riding it the saddle holder thing broke, had to buy a new one.

Now the left pedal thread seems broken, the pedal just fell off in the middle of the road. As i have a crank arm of 172.5mm length i couldnt find a single left arm to buy cheap and the oldschool crank sets are 50+ bucks
Well, long story short, i ordered a singlespeed steel front crank set thing for like 8 bucks and i was pretty happy but now i found out its for 1/8" chains and i have a 3/32" one.

Im really sad cause no one will buy the bike now unless i repair it, which costs money, which i dont really have much of. Hope you guys can help me, im pretty frustrated now

Whats the cheapest way to turn it into a singlespeed now? Do i need an 1/8" crankset for the back?
>>
Cant you return the crank and get a 3/32 one?
If you use it for commuting dont turn it an SS, SS and fixed are only good for exercising. But if you do, all you need is a cheap freewheel.
>>
>>1104068
Yeah i guess the best way is to return it

Okay, gonna look for a regular crank with gears, thanks
>>
What goes on in the mind of people when they take a picture like that? Don't they realize you can't see shit?
In any case you should just return the crankset you bought, go to your local bike co-op or any workshop really, and ask if they have a spare 172.5mm left crankarm laying around somewhere
>>
>>1104076
I just clicked on select file -> cam and took a pic

Yeah im gonna try that, thanks.
>>
You might be able to get a 3/32 chainring to fit your crankset, very cheap if it mounts one piece crank style
>>
You can use 1/8th chain on 3/32 gears.

You cannot use 3/32 chain on 1/8 gears.

1/8 chains are $10.

Do you want to ride this bike? If yes, do you want to ride it as a geared bike? If yes, then you should give it a tune-up with 3/32 gearing. Send the crankset back. If no, then you can use a single-speed crank and chain on your existing rear freewheel gearset. It will look like crap but it can work as a decent setup. Just make sure you have the correct chain line so it's not loud or dangerous.

If you don't want to ride the bike, get it back up and running with a proper crankset for gearing, then sell it for $150 bucks and take the hit.

Whatever you do, don't do what most bike people do and store several broken bikes in your basement. It's truly a headache. Do something before the season is over.
>>
>>1104137
>Whatever you do, don't do what most bike people do and store several broken bikes in your basement
ignore this op, collecting bits and pieces of broken bikes is a god tier hobby
>>
>>1104165
Only if you collect mindfully and turn them into rad af bikes within a year or two.
>>
>>1104165
Yes, then you can use the parts to create atrocities like this
>>
>>1104174
that guy is so far beyond giving a fuck
>>
>>1104174
>suspension coils below wheel hub
this is dank
>>
>>1104174
>atrocities like this
you need to get your brain checked because that is badass as fuck
>>
>>1104064
Just fix it mr engineer
>>
>>1104064
FFS go back to the seller and show him it's a piece of shit and demand he buy it back from you, numbskull.
>>
>>1104202
hahaha hahh honestly engineers r so dum
>>
>>1104174
2wd with no rear differential.

That shit is trash.
>>
You're gunna spend way more cash converting to single speed than just buying a new chain, crank, brake pads, and whatever else. Other than that, not bad for a 250$ project.
>>
>>1104260
wrong
>>
>>1104266
So OP has the tools and know how to convert his rear hub, if it's even compatible, or just go the poor fag route and keep his rear derailleur on one gear. Totally inexpensive right? Maybe not you faggot
>>
File: sergio´s Drift Trike.jpg (348KB, 1600x974px) Image search: [Google]
sergio´s Drift Trike.jpg
348KB, 1600x974px
>>1104237
a rear differential? lmao wow-- do you even drift?
>>
>>1104269
Not really.

Neither does he with that thing.
>>
>>1104271
well then, then you probably should have been clarified:
>That shit and the mode in which it will be used or not used that i alone project onto its proprietor is trash.
>>
>>1104267
That was too hard for you little faggoty brain? Aww
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.