[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Stringbike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: stringbike.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
stringbike.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
An invention or just another fad for fags?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PAzalfpww
http://www.stringbike.com/index.html
>>
another fad for fags
>>
Well rather simple gear shifting, compared to deraileurs, looks like an advantage. But what when the roper got longer over time?
>>
>>1102469
I have heard it got banned from races, because it gives too much of an advantage
>>
>>1102473
How? :-)
>>
>>1102475
it was something to do with the pedaling, iirc it makes that dead point when the pedals are vertical nonexistant
heard it when this design came out, never tried one so I don't know how true it is
>>
File: HinFootball11-300x225.jpg (26KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
HinFootball11-300x225.jpg
26KB, 300x225px
>>1102477
Hmm when pedals are vertical, human just can apply virtually no driving force to them, regardless how the power is transferred to the rear wheel.
But the string pulling mechanism, when designed correctly, can add additional "crank" to the transmission when force on the pedals are biggest, like is claimed in Ogival Ring.
>>
>>1102473
>I have heard it got banned from races, because it gives too much of an advantage
Source?
>>
>>1102472
You replace it, same with chains
>>
So more moving parts than necessary and pointless complexity is good now?
>>
>>1102480
I'm afraid they must be replaced much often... And different length of the ropes on different sides cannot create some asymmetric driving? These pulleys cannon compensate this indefinitely.
>>1102482
Complexity, and especially maintenance, compared to conventional deraileurs systems - seems to be lower. That's what I like in this design.
>>
>>1102482
That's what designers really think, but the truth is they can't beat a solid design that has been used for more than 100 years.

You can change a bit the geometry or the materials, but the basics of the bike are untouchable, I laugh every time a designer comes with a goofy bike and showing it like something revolutionary, when I see it, I can only think that they don't ride bikes because a proper cyclist knows what works on a bike.
>>
>>1102469
>An invention or just another fad for fags?
Just another dumb, over-complicated idea, too many moving parts, and worst of all: only one source for replacement parts. Do not want.
Nothing wrong with chains cogs chainrings and derailleurs.
>>
>>1102479
the Inventors are from the same country I am from and I think heard it when this was first introduced, back in 2010 so my memory might be sloppy

>>1102485
the ropes have to replaced less often according to this article, they claim the ropes can last 10000km easy
http://www.origo.hu/auto/20101006-schwinncsepel-stringbike-a-lanc-nelkuli-bicikli.html
>>
>>1102487
>only one source for replacement parts
Of course, like in all patented designs. But patents expires. Let's wait and see if it will be widely adopted.
>too many moving parts
Lemme cite myself
>Complexity, and especially maintenance, compared to conventional deraileurs systems - seems to be lower. That's what I like in this design.
>>1102486
>they can't beat a solid design that has been used for more than 100 years.
Steam locos were used for over 100 years, it not makes them better than diesels.
>>
>>1102485
>Complexity, and especially maintenance, compared to conventional deraileurs systems - seems to be lower.
just look how many high stress bearing surfaces there are on it
on a normal bike you have just the bb and rear hub, but here you have like 4 bearings where the bb would normally be + the rear hub
that's more maintenance, guaranteed
>>
File: shaft_drive_for_bicycles_2[1].jpg (56KB, 620x394px) Image search: [Google]
shaft_drive_for_bicycles_2[1].jpg
56KB, 620x394px
>>
>>1102656
The 19th century called; they want their drivetrain back.
>>
>>1102475
the competition kills themselves because seeing someone on a bike like that in the same competition as you makes you wonder what you're doing with your life.
>>
>>1102656
A belt drive is much better than shaft for low maintenance and cleanliness.
>>
What a waste of time.
>>
>>1102670
It's a secret winning strategy- while the competition is laughing themselves to death you roll over the finish line at a speedy 12mph
>>
>>1102469
This was a CAD demonstration more than a great new idea. It has more error prone (movable) parts than an ordinary bike, worse energy blahblah than an electric or motor driven bike.
>>
>>1102745
>This was a CAD demonstration
It's in production since 2014.
Benefits, according to them:
http://www.stringbike.com/stringbike_benefits.html
>>
>>1102486

>what is a pinion drive
>what is gates carbon drive
>what is suspention technology
>>
>>1102760
>what is a pinion drive
The future!
https://youtu.be/-eIuDiNczwo
>>
>>
File: T10_T5_AT10_AT5.jpg (43KB, 991x555px) Image search: [Google]
T10_T5_AT10_AT5.jpg
43KB, 991x555px
>>1102469
>strings

might as well put one of these on your bike
>>
I'm actually cuious on what the pedal feel of the stringbike is like. It's of course a terrible idea, but you don't get to innovate without exploring some terrible ideas.
>>
>>1102486
They said the same thing about every technology.

>>1102489
>My technology is so superior, it's banned in competitions! Bikers hate me!
>>
>>1102656
I've got a shaft you can drive, if you know what I'm talking about my good man.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.