[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Commuter conversation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: bike.jpg (727KB, 1612x1209px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
727KB, 1612x1209px
First of all. Let me state I asked in two generals before I posted this.

Here's my bike. I wanna do 20mile total daily commute on it. Until my motorcycle is fixed.

Pic related its well loved. Someone suggested some road tires and I think that's a good place t start.

Obvious things it needs.
Hand grips
Possibly handlebars?
A few new cables.
Rear brake caliper reattached (two bolts from ace)
Someone also suggested locking the front suspension. How do I do that?
And seat, currently this one is ripped a little and as hard as a rock.

Also the rims are somewhat out of round.
>>
>>1100804
First let's start at rubbers. Do I need to get new rims? Or does a smaller rubber fit on the rim just fine?

If no rim is needed it says here it's 26 x 1.95 so. What are some road tires that are gonna work?

Also if I scrape off the stickers on the bike do I loose 5 HP per sticker?
>>
>>1100805
Check the tire size, not the rim - although they're probably 26x1.95 anyway. So no - you won't need new rims, just get slicks that are roughly the same size.

You can try and scrape off the stickers, but have fun not scratching the frame.
>>
>>1100806
Meh I got sticker disolver that works good. And the frame is already scratched in places. But it's "6061 t-6 aluminum" so fancy.... LMAO but sarcasm aside. It won't rust scratched.
>>
>>1100808
I also just took it as is for a 1 mile spin. And the handle bars aren't right for my current position. And the pedals still feel like their in the wrong place.. I'm pedaling with the ball of my feet and the natural position I keep slipping too is the mids of my feet and I'm constantly having to adjust.
>>
>>1100804
You can probably go as small as 26x1.75, and the higher rated pressure the better for commuting. I use marathon 26x1.75s and I think they can take up to like 60 psi?

New hand grips and a seat are cheap, new handlebars might require new brake and shifter cables, maybe new brake levers and shifters too if you aren't careful about sizing.

You can get your wheels trued to get a bit more life out of them, but even then, a brand new 26er wheelset wouldn't be very expensive either.
>>
>>1101021
further, have you thought about turning it into an electric moped?

What's your budget?
>>
File: Lockout MTB suspension Fork.jpg (30KB, 416x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lockout MTB suspension Fork.jpg
30KB, 416x480px
The lockout should be on top of the right side of the fork crown.
Should look like pic related
>>
File: IMAG0271.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0271.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1101039
Nope looks like just pre-load adjusters. Now I assume these are kinda like motorcycle forks? So can I just disassemble them and throw a spacer in them to lock them up?

>>1101022
IDK going electric sounds expensive and I don't really wanna go past 300 dollars. I do have two motors on the bench a 33cc 3hp and a I believe 650cc 8hp. That just really need gaskets and a rejetting.

>>1101021
I assume it's again very much like motorcycles with handle bars so I'm pretty diligent on sizing. And I already kinda need cables on somethings some are frayed in the middle and some are badly chewed at the ends too.

For grips and seat, wheres a good place to look? EBay? Amazon?

Also for new rims where to even begin? A quick Google search is giving me 80 bucks a rim...
>>
>>1100804
Why don't you just do the commute and find out what you need to do? Get to the end of the week and spend money on the shit that annoys you.

No point throwing money at shit if it does the job :/ 10 miles isn't very far..
>>
>>1100804
yep, most important is to change tyres, go for 26x1.50 smooth tyres, good quality if you can. The other things depends on your fit/comfort. some nice grips with ergonomic form or incorporated bar ends will improve your comfort.
Also, general manteinance, be sure you are doing it right. repacking bearings, truing wheels, chain cleaning and oiling, etc.
>>
>>1101073
No because I use to commute on this bike in the past. And I hated it. I always felt like I was leaning too much forward on the handle bars, that it became easier to just actually ride no hands.

Plus the rag and zip ties and non functioning brake seems to be important too
>>
>>1101086
Cool, all these problems are easy to solve. Where abouts are you based? I'll put some links your way
>>
>>1101049
Grips and a seat are like everywhere, anywhere basically. Don't fall for the padded seat meme. A small saddle that fits well with your sitbones will be more comfortable in the long run.

Keep looking for wheels. try something like "26er disc wheelset" I found some for like $130 shipped.

Look into mountain bike riser handlebars too. They might do the trick to raise your hand position without needing to install a taller stem and spacers.
>>
>>1101092
Florida. United States.

>>1101093
>padded seat meme
But I'm skinny and have no ass fat. It's bone on skin an it hurts.
>>
>>1101097
> Super short stem - $33
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/answer-atac-ame-mtb-stem/rp-prod129174
> Riser bars - $22
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/brand-x-mountain-bike-riser-bar/rp-prod132519
> Padded shorts to take the edge off until you get used to riding again - $24
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/funkier-evolve-undershorts/rp-prod133411
> Grips - $10
any of http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/grips?sort=pricelow
> Wheels
get them trued at a decent LBS - $40ish
> Brakes - $2 for bolts
bolt the rear one back on. Do they both work? Look like simple mechanical things.

>$140 should improve things
>>
>>1101103
Yeah both brake sets work. The rear one is just missing bolts. I think one Bolt worked it's way out in the past (despite loctite blue) and then I removed the other and ziptied it out of the way because it would probably break the caliper on one Bolt causing it to jerk Into the rotor if I forgot it was messed up. And applied the rear brake.

I need cables too? Not all of them. I think the gear shift cable and one brake cable. I can go outside and measure them real quick.
>>
>>1101106
Shiieeet. Im dumb. These cables aren't anything special. Just regular steel cable and the black sheating just slides right off. And my local Lowe's sells this stuff at like 10 cent a foot.
>>
>>1101108
Note that gear cable and housing is different from brake cable and housing. Mixing could be dangerous.
Also cheap housing might give mushy lever feel for brakes.
>>
File: simplesetofrisers.png (146KB, 1374x1512px) Image search: [Google]
simplesetofrisers.png
146KB, 1374x1512px
>>1101131
Noted, I did measure them all off and noted the differences.

He's a simple set of very basic plans on something I'm going to give a try, handlebar risers, that are forward/backwards adjustable and can be adjusted for height along their Z axis. by removing spacers in 1 inch increments. will allow me to really dial in where I want the bars at, without buying a ton of different setups first.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.