[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I seriously hope you guy's don't do this.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: 57c.jpg (290KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
57c.jpg
290KB, 857x1202px
>cleaning your chain
>washing grit into the rollers

Lets it be dumbo's,The mechanism is designed to take care of itself.

Also using anything other than ANY grade of engine oil is foolish.
>>
The high clay content in the local dirt / gravel roads make my chain self cleaning. After a few rides the chain is shinny and dry despite me using Triflow and not wiping the excess.

Chain gets dirtiest riding strictly asphalt.
>>
>>1099461
>Also using anything other than ANY grade of engine oil is foolish
chains rollers are low temperature, low force, and very sensitive to viscosity
car engines are high temperature, very high force, not sensitive to viscosity
so you're just a dumbass
>>
I used to lube my chain with parktools grease

I did that for 3 years of city commuting.

sanded down those cassettes real fast boi
>>
>>1099461
Engine oil is intended to be pumped around under pressure, and then flow back down to the sump under gravity. It'll fly right off a bike chain and do absolutely nothing for you.

Gear oil is much more viscous and is designed to be used in a 'splash lubrication' system like you find in a manual transmission or other type of gearbox -- but it's still not designed to be used out in the open, is sticky and attracts dirt (which will ruin your drivetrain) and otherwise will tend to fly off anything spinning. So it's out, too.

New bike chains, when they're being assembled, have some actual grease applied internally to the rollers. As such you don't have to clean or lube a brand-new chain for several hundred miles of even hard use. Cleaning and lubing a new chain is a waste of time and resources, and ultimately isn't very good for the chain anyway.

Using any sort of water-based 'wax' chain lube isn't very smart. Chains rust, you don't want to put water on them at all, ever. It just shortens the life of the chain. Additionally the factory lube, mixed with water, just turns to a useless mud. Bad idea. Avoid.

'Dry' lubes are okay, but you have to apply them more often.

Personally I use Dumonde Tech Lite. It penetrates, then the carrier evaporates, leaving behind a synthetic wet lube that creates a barrier against dirt and grit, yet reduces friction. You only need a half a drop, carefully applied, per roller. Spin the drivetrain for a few minutes, then let it dry, wipe off the excess with a clean rag or paper towel with some (non-water based!) solvent on it. Clean and lube the chain every 200-500 miles, or when it starts making noise.

While we're on the subject, replace your chain at the first sign of stretching. Chains are cheap, chainrings and cassettes are expensive; you'll get much more overall lifespan (and better performance) out of your drivetrain this way.
>>
why the fuck do you guys keep replying to obvious bait threads? feeding the trolls lures in more trolls.
>>
>>1099614
I'm trying to make their eyes glaze over with so much actual content and insightful information that they'll get bored and go back to /b/. Meanwhile the insightful information will enrich the actual denizens of /n/ who need to be educated on the subject.
>>
File: IMG_20170811_213028371.jpg (798KB, 564x752px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170811_213028371.jpg
798KB, 564x752px
>>1099461
80w-90 gear oil reporting in. Always worked fine and cheap enough to lube often, sometimes I don't even clean the chain lel. Stop buying meme lubes
>>
Sewing machine oil master race
>>
>>1099701
Show us close-up pics of your entire drivetrain and the surrounding frame, and don't cheat by cleaning it all up first, show us how filthy and dirty it is.

Oh and gear oil isn't any cheaper than a bottle of Dumonde Tech Lite, and one bottle of that lasts me 6 months at least when I re-lube the chain typically once a week.
>>
I just use wd 40 desu
>>
Paraffin wax applied hot is the best lube I have used. My brother, cat 1, does it sort of religiously and he's a pretty practical guy. Whenever I clean chain and apply paraffin it feels so very smooth and lasts... 3x? as long as liquid lubes
>>
>>1099799
Enjoy replacing your entire drivetrain.

>>1099801
That looks like a gigantic pain in the ass, and it's really not compatible with a Shimano chain. I wouldn't want to have to use a SRAM link on it, and I wouldn't want to have to break my chain every time I want to lube it. It also looks messy. I'd have to research that much more carefully before I'd even consider it.
>>
File: IMG_20170812_174953898.jpg (110KB, 712x950px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170812_174953898.jpg
110KB, 712x950px
>>1099791
>6 months
lel, I'm still using the quart I picked up 7 years ago.
>>
>>1099461

i only ride my mtb in the city with slicks. i religiously use white lightning...

i dont care about my drive chain per say - i lube it and it works. i care about not ruining every pair of jeans or shoes with chain muck... dry lube for the win

also just spent a few months living at the beach... i have nothing but sorrow for people who have deal with salt and sand on a daily basis ... my drivetrain honestly aged a few years in my short stay there...
>>
>>1099514
I just replace my chains early and give them to my co-op because I notice that they hardly ever had any good used ones or that people couldn't even afford the 10 dollar ones they have or just didn't feel the need to buy a new chain because they thought their rusty chain was just fine lol
>>1099814
my buddy does the hot wax thing with a slow cooker, easy shit and a cooker can be had cheap at a thrift store.
>>
>>1099852
>slow cooker
Rice cooker set to warming works fine too.
>>
>>1099846
>he doesn't ride when the weather is poor.
>>
>>1099863
More like:
>he doesn't ride AT ALL

>>1099846
Where's the timestamp? Also I said 'no cleaning anything'. Or do you just ride 1 hour a week and then autistically clean every part of the bike spotless again?
>>
>>1099852
Thought it over. Shimano chains aren't intended to be broken a re-joined all the time, the connecting pins aren't cheap, and I refuse to mix SRAM parts of any kind into my drivetrain, not with the extremes I push it to, can't afford to have something break on me. I'll just stick with what I've been using, it works well and really isn't expensive at all.
>>
>>1100149
>pic doesn't fit his butthurt narrative
keep buying that Dumonde Tech Lite
>>
I have done the wet wax lubes(clean ride). Went as far as buying a crock pot and lubing my chain with hot paraffin. Switched back to oil lube(epic ride) and am far happier.

Wax lube pros
>cleaner on the hands
>super cheap. $5 crock pot and $5 for wax
>one pot clean and lube with hot wax

Wax lube cons
>quick links left in the hot wax
>lasts 100 miles tops in dry weather
>wax build up on drive-train
>dirt build up in the wax pot
>takes a while

Oil lube is good for 100 miles. Relubing is quick and gloves help with the mess.
>>
>>1100151
>implying there are only Shimano and SRAM chains
>implying you can't use a chain from different manufacturer than your groupset is
>>
>>1099814
It IS a pain in the ass. Had the idea of going at it with a heat gun while chain is still on the bike... probably will just keep using liquid though. I like pedaling more than bike maintenance.
>>
>>1100173
If you're not adding dry lubricant like PTFE or graphite to wax, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1099501
>car engines are high temperature, very high force, not sensitive to viscosity
>not sensitive to viscosity
Yeah sure kek
>>
>>1099516
>Or you'll pay some shop $75 and hour to do things you could do yourself for FREE if you could just be bothered to learn.
Unrelated to OP (I hope), but I was in the LBS last week, and some guy brought in his rear wheel because he had a flat, and wanted to pay someone to fix it for him.
I can only wonder how he got home with the flat.
Did he walk it? Call his wife for a ride?
>>
>>1099863
>>he doesn't ride when the weather is poor.
>>1100149
>>he doesn't ride AT ALL
He's riding a fixie, soooo....
1) I know the sprocket is much heavier than a normal road sprocket, isn't the chain different too?
2) He might as well have posted a selfie with a dick in his mouth.
>>
File: 200px-Dick_Cheney.jpg (18KB, 200x253px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Dick_Cheney.jpg
18KB, 200x253px
>>1099848
>not ruining every pair of jeans
>pair of jeans
>jeans
...filthy casual.
>>
>>1099461
>Also using anything other than ANY grade of engine oil is foolish.
look at the fool and laugh. engine oil is drippy.
and a bike chain never reaches high temperature.
>>
File: 1490332156764.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490332156764.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>not rendering your own suet for chain lubing
plebbe i bet you don't even snack on pemmican bars while riding.
>>
>>1100209
>1) I know the sprocket is much heavier than a normal road sprocket, isn't the chain different too?
yes
>>
>>1100215
Yeah but my biscuit game on fleek for those long rides
>>
File: Extra r9k.jpg (528KB, 3619x2754px) Image search: [Google]
Extra r9k.jpg
528KB, 3619x2754px
>>1099461
>Using automotive oil
>Not using extra virgin olive oil
Barbarian
>>
>>1099461
>>1100314
https://youtu.be/JNIcVmE0w4w
>>
>>1099814
>Enjoy replacing your entire drivetrain.
Did you not hear the news?

>use wd40 on chain
>people tell me it "isn't a lubricant" and not to use it on chain, or it will wear ludicrously fast because there is no lubrication (???)

??? https://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/sds/mup/wd-40-multi-use-product-aerosol-sds-us-ghs-7-20-14.pdf ???

>Product Use: Lubricant, Penetrant, Drives Out
Moisture, Removes and Protects Surfaces From
Corrosion
>Product Use: Lubricant
>Lubricant

>Petroleum Base Oil

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "This article is about the lubricant. ..."
>About the lubricant
>the lubricant
>The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture
>non-volatile viscous oil (>Petroleum Base Oil)

Please stop the meme that wd40 will not work to lubricate my chain
>>
>>1100319
>Please stop the meme that wd40 will not work to lubricate my chain
It's mostly kerosene and paraffin.
The "WD" supposedly stands for "water displacement", which is odd because it's also a wet-dry lube.
The kerosene carries the paraffin into all the nooks and crannies.
That said, I'm pretty sure it's a cheap substitute for a more modern wet-dry lube.
Why use it when purpose-made w.d. lubes are cheaper than inner tubes in the long run?
>>
File: abe.jpg (119KB, 500x519px) Image search: [Google]
abe.jpg
119KB, 500x519px
>>1100319
>>people tell me it "isn't a lubricant"
p.s. Who the fuck told you it "isn't a lubricant"???
>>
>>1100319
It won't. Kys my friend.
>>
>>1100319
wd40 is the "I have nothing else" solution. It's for cleaning out gunk and grease and leaving a little light oil so you can then easily put better lubricant on it.
>>
>>1100392
>>1100397
>being this emotionally attached to bike specific lubes that you try to deny the fact that wd-40 has an oil base and is the perfect lubricant for bike chains

>sprays on and penetrates the rollers easily
>non-oil parts used to transport oil into the rollers evaporates quickly
>easily wipe off excess
>clean as fuck chain with minimal effort
In week or so when the chain starts squeaking, simply spray more on, never worry about cleaning your chain because you never poured so much 'bike specific' meme lube (just use motor oil if you want something heavy lol) that you couldn't wipe the excess off and it caught dirt and grit lol

Why aren't you plebs using wd-40 as a chain lube? It's the epitome of a flawless bike chain lube

>wd40 is the "I have nothing else" solution. It's for cleaning out gunk and grease and leaving a little light oil so you can then easily put better lubricant on it.

wd-40 is the "I'm using the perfect lube" solution. It's for spraying on after the factory grease wears off your chain and you want to maintain the proper level of lubrication

>"hurdur i drench my chain in bike specific oil and desperately attempt to wipe off the excess but that is literally impossible and there is now lube all over my cassette, chainrings and the plates of the chain all covered in thick grease caused by copious amounts of asphalt dust and sand getting caught in this ridiculous oil I used"

kek gets some wd-40 pleb
>>
File: IMG_20170815_103042.jpg (65KB, 605x806px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170815_103042.jpg
65KB, 605x806px
>>
>>1099514
Listen to this guy, faggots. He knows his stuff.
>Dumonde Lite
top-tier
>>
>>1099799
>>1099814
>Enjoy replacing your entire drivetrain.
This conversation couldn't have gone more perfectly.
>using WD40
>2017
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>1100428
drive train chains and chain links are different anon.
>>
>>1100423
>being this emotionally attached to bike specific lubes
I'm actually using clipper oil since I had some lying around. The point being it's better than WD40.
>>
>>1100609
"no"
>>
>>1100609
>>1100608
>>1100602
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIqI43ls2I
>>
>>1099723

I use the same bar and chain oil I use for my chainsaw.

Because I have it already
>>
Have a friend that used WD-40 to lubricate his suspension fork. Long story short it's not a suspension fork anymore.
>>
>>1100151
>pushing to "extremes"
>not using KMC chains

Get a load of this frederello
>>
>>1101296
fuck you don't lie about wd-40
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.