[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CX / Gravel / Commuter Bike thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: MY BIKE.jpg (142KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
MY BIKE.jpg
142KB, 1000x750px
Hey /n/, I'm thinking about purchasing the new Giant TCX SX. I get it at a really great deal from my LBS, and I plan on using it to race cyclocross, go on adventure rides, and my winter road bike.

Do you guys have a cyclocross rig? What do you think about them? Do you prefer a MTB?
>>
It may not be responsive enough for CX depending on how serious you want to get.
>>
>>1098353
how wouldn't it be responsive? It's full carbon and has the "overdrive" headtube which is supposed to be the best steering system out there.
>>
Have alu CX bike as my commuter. It's great around 95% of the year and the 5% it sucks on are days when fatty would be the only type of bike with which riding wouldn't be a chore.
>>
UK
£1300 budget
Mudguard mounts
Space for at least 32s
Hydraulic dick brakes

Optional:
1by drivetrain
SRAM groupset

What buy?
>>
File: IMG_20170501_180235.jpg (2MB, 3769x2421px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170501_180235.jpg
2MB, 3769x2421px
I've never raced before, but I setup these 32c gravelkings on this thing over the summer and am planning on racing it this fall for kicks. I'll take the rack off ofc.
>>
>>1098379
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV1/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-1-hydraulic-disc-road-bike
>>
>>1098417

I'm pretty sure you'll have little fun on 32 mm tires in a cx race.
>>
>>1098462
Why's that? What do people typically run?

They are 35mm actually, that was a typo above. I did also set them up tubeless and have had luck running at about 30psi.
>>
File: 20170130_105000-min.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170130_105000-min.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
CX bikes are fucking great. I use mine for road riding/commuting/singletrack/gravel roads... anything pretty much. Pic related is my Salsa Vaya GX
>>
>>1098349
>my LBS ... race cyclocross

Let me hazard a guess, your local bike cancer tried to indoctrinate you into the cult of Fred: or bicycle racing? I would strongly advise against it, for many reasons.
>>
>>1098458

Hard to beat the London Road for price but fuck me is it an ugly bike.
>>
>>1098349

If you're going on a long ride + real mountain you're gonna want lower gears than that 1x setup imho

I've got a touring bike with 29x43mm tires and a 24t-to-36t granny gear. I only ride drop bar bikes on mountain trails because I'm poor and too out of shape to justify a good MTB

>>1098357
>how wouldn't it be responsive? It's full carbon and has the "overdrive" headtube which is supposed to be the best steering system out there.

fork rake, head tube angle, seat tube angel, seat stay length, and wheelbase are all important. g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/ blog is what you need

>>1098488
tubeless tires on that bike? awesome

>>1098489
a vaya is not really a CX bike. very comfy road touring for light loads. also geared too high imho
>>
>>1098491
no i work there and get stuff at price
>>
>>1098547
i've never seen such a stupid fucking saddle in my life
>>
File: IMG_0436.jpg (190KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0436.jpg
190KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>1098349
i have an sscx bike with beat-em-up parts and a full suss trail bike. i plan on upgrading the sscx bike with higher-tier stuff over the winter, but nothing too fancy that i wouldn't want to actually shit it up at a cx event.

they're both good for different reasons. i'm currently intoxicated by the smell of brooks proofide, so i might not be much use to anyone for a while. god that shit smells good.
>>
>>1098488

I spent 2 hours in heavy rain on really washed up muddy gravel tracks with 30 mm g ones tubless and even though it was stupid fun it was super unstable and slippery whenever I hit something slightly loose.

I think 35 would be the minimum but if you can go fatter I think 42 would be great.
I donÄt know how the speed tradeoffs for even bigger tires are theoretically or if there are complications with wheelclearance and propper cx geo but with 2.2 (55mm) tires I feel comfortable in cx condictions but I also don't know just how much tread is playing into this.

...after righting this I feel like you should definitly try it with low pressure and report back. tire pressure > width , probably.
>>
>>1098349
>Do you guys have a cyclocross rig?
I have a GT Grade, it's more gravel/road than cyclocross, but apparently some guys race CX on it.
>What do you think about them?
For me it's mostly a road bike and commuter, for that it's great.
>Do you prefer a MTB?
Well, for riding trails, sure. For riding gravel, sometimes if it's loose and steep. Not for CX or road.

>>1098462
>>1098488
Most CX tires are in that 32-35 mm range. UCI races are limited to 33 mm, but most of us don't do UCI races.

>>1098661
Cool looking bike. Not sure how I feel about those cantis in 2017.

>>1098676
There is quite a big difference between 30 mm g-ones and 33 mm cyclocross tread tires. Maybe running with the bike makes people prefer the lighter narrower tires?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.