[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pacific Electric Railway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: pe_system_map[1].jpg (521KB, 2048x1495px) Image search: [Google]
pe_system_map[1].jpg
521KB, 2048x1495px
What went wrong? Automobile competition? Demographic shifts? Apathy?
>>
It was purposefully killed as part of the US Oil industry pushing suburbs and personal automobiles.
Nothing was wrong it it, it was just killed on purpose.
>>
>>1091513
And that's it.
>>
>>1091513
/thread
>>
>>1091513
They didn't pay for electricity and when they had to start paying for it, they were fucked.

The idea that it was only killed by the oil and auto industry is a bulslhit historical myth.
>>
>>1091749
>They didn't pay for electricity

They were paying for electricity since the 1910s. In PE's case the power company and the railroad were unaffiliated.
>>
>>1091502
The Los Angeles streetcar system was always unprofitable. Streetcar lines were built by real estate developers in order to increase the value of their holdings. Once the houses were all sold, the new owners did not have as much incentive to invest in the streetcars. It was a transient phenomenon.
>>
>>1091824
You're conflating the Los Angeles Railway (streetcar) with the Pacific Electric (interurban)
>>
Everyone realized cars are better than trains.
>>
>>1095415
>everyone in charge was bought off by the auto industry to kill trains

FTFY
>>
>>1098762
This is a severely overstated myth. Stop being a child and actually read about the history.
>>
File: 78380-full.jpg (540KB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
78380-full.jpg
540KB, 2160x2160px
>>1091502
Isn't it ironic?
>>
It was the Pacific Electric themselves that phased out their streetcar fleet with buses. No conspiracy here.
>>
>>1099130
That's not the real map.

That being said, I am glad to see that the Purple Line extension got massively fast tracked and is due for completion by 2024 rather than 2036.
>>
>>1099185
No shit, look at the date.
>>
>>1099193
That's not what I fucking meant. I mean that it is not an accurate map of the plans Metro has.
>>
File: 1398557826788.png (96KB, 217x230px) Image search: [Google]
1398557826788.png
96KB, 217x230px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGH3U21vIE

mfw this actually happened. they need to bring it back
>>
>>1100168
Agreed, would be cool as a default scheme.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.