[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

björk : the gate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

what do you think about the new björk song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO-7Ondgk0M
also, can you recommend music that sounds similar?
>>
>>75205920
this is awesome. how does she make her songs so amorphous? is there even a fixed rhythm here or is it just separately organized sounds?
>>
>inb4 arca ruined bjork
>>
>>75206062
by not writing a melody

she just randomly sings on top of ambient tracks which is why it's so meandering
>>
>>75206152
i wouldn't really call it an ambient track. and i doubt it's random, its just really weird
>>
>>75206173
that's how bjork makes music these days

she gets an instrumental idm/ambient track and sings on top of it. it lacks flow and it sounds awkward because she doesn't bother writing proper melodies like she used to back in the 90s and early 00s. i don't think it's awesome, i think it's lazy
>>
>>75206235
there were clear meloldies on biophilia
and i think she strips songs to the essence, so that the raw emotion and energy are exposed
>>
>>75205920
Boring. All hype and no substance. Better wait for the next Claire Boucher album.
>>
>>75206235
>proper melodies
sounds like you just prefer her poppier stuff anon. i don't see how what she's doing here is any easier just because it's weirder. there was obviously still a lot of thought and effort that went into making it.

this song is meticulously organized. listen to how the instrumental and her voice play off of each other. it's not random, it's just not organized in a traditional way
>>
File: 8c3.jpg (146KB, 496x496px) Image search: [Google]
8c3.jpg
146KB, 496x496px
>>75206327
yeesh
>>
File: The Gate.jpg (34KB, 960x399px) Image search: [Google]
The Gate.jpg
34KB, 960x399px
>>75205920

Love it, the video should be out tomorrow, it looks great https://www.instagram.com/p/BZE-KRigCOR/
>>
>>75206349
it's nothing to do with it being poppy or not poppy. people keep bringing this up. a song having a good and well-written melody does not make it poppy -- check out the incredibly melodic work of nick drake, which is considerably less pop than bjork's music.

plus, the gate is still a pop song after all. it just fails at being good in my opinion.

the way she oversings every word in the verses in an attempt to hide that the song lacks an interesting melody is a little embarrassing.
>>
>>75206404
>a good and well-written melody
this is subjective

also, melodic=/=good it sounds like you just prefer music with strong and defined melodies
>>
>>75205920
Honestly really boring. And I say this as both a fan of hers and of other 'boring' genres of music. It sounds like she thought the more recent Burial stuff had too much going on.
>>
>>75205920
I think it's really good. Very excited for the music video since it's the same director as some of Vulnicura's, which were all stunning.
Could have gone and seen it in London today but couldn't get anyone to go and I didn't want to go alone, but kinda regret that now since it was free. Oh well.
>>
>>75206448
sure, but if bjork can't write melodies anymore, then i don't know what is left to appreciate in her work. her meandering vocals and fake accent?
instrumentally the song is bland and simplistic at best, we've all heard it before.
>>
>>75206235
Songs like stonemilker, lionsong and black lake are very melodic.
>>
>>75206532
Second listen, enjoyed it slightly more this time. Don't really like the opening at all though. It's totally meandering and goes nowhere.
>>
>>75206590

the radio edit actually cuts the opening completely, it's about 3 minutes long, perhaps people will prefer that if they think it's boring.
>>
>>75206551
>if bjork can't write melodies anymore
idk why you're assuming the lack of defined melodies is due to incompetence. it's not like she just forgot how to write melodies, it's almost definitely an artistic choice.

i understand why people wouldn't like it, but i don't think she's being lazy or she's somehow lost her ability to write songs. i think she's just writing really weird stuff because she wants to write really weird stuff
>>
She can still write melodies
Just look at the singles from vulnicura
>>
>>75206393
dat gucci dress f a m
>>
Verses make me think of Burial
Chorus makes me think of Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack.
>>
>>75206551
>fake accent
Explain.
>>
>>75206393
OP here, I love the song, it's so amorphous, cosmic and archaic and also kinda aquatic
BUT this time I am not liking the visuals at all. this faerie dress and bubble and rainbow are too kitschy for me...
>>
File: IMG_2160.jpg (207KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2160.jpg
207KB, 1080x720px
>>75206235
wtf, Vulnicura is nothing like that you plen
>>
>>75206886
I loved the vespertine aesthetic, thought it was very unique but this seems a bit too cliched.
>>
>>75206908
although she looks a bit like a gnome on the vespertine cover ;)
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.