[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So FlyLo has really been inspiring me for a while. As of now,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 6

File: flight.jpg (48KB, 472x312px) Image search: [Google]
flight.jpg
48KB, 472x312px
So FlyLo has really been inspiring me for a while. As of now, I just make shit beats in fl studio 11, but I really want to get more into sample editing/chopping, and more experimental type stuff.

But I'm a newb and need to start from the beginning. Right now all I have is a laptop, some audio technica headphones, and a midi keyboard. I figure I'll need an audio interface and some studio speakers. I was going to re-learn piano and learn some music theory stuff.

I was wondering if I should switch over to ableton and stop using fl studio. I heard flylo uses it and I also heard it's a good daw for editing samples and such. Should I bang out the 750 dollars for live 9 suite? Or should I just get standard? I used ableton before and I was lazy and didnt want to learn it so I quit and used fl studio instead. I was going to try the 30 day free trial of suite to get accustomed to it again.

Thoughts?
>>
>Hopsin
>inspiring

Sure smells of underage sweat here
>>
>>60187256
>I was lazy and didnt want to learn it
lol why even bother. you're just going to quit again.
>>
>>60187269
What?
>>
DAW does not matter nearly as much as the person using it.
You aren't less "professional" for using FL vs Ableton.
Don't fall to stigmas.
>>
>>60187256

>So FlyLo has really been inspiring me for a while

I wonder why is FlyLo, out of all producers, the one inspiring all these 17 yr old kids making boring, cookie cutter #chillbeatz #plundafonics and their shitty soundcloud pages nobody cares about

like there is a gorillion producers out there a lot more interesting/better by almost every measure than FlyLo.
>>
>>60187334
pitchfork
>>
>>60187334
The LA beat scene, vaporwave, and death grips are to blame for all the teenage "beat makers" that are mucking up the airways
>>
>>60187334
rec me some pls
>>
>>60187397
>Death Grips
Not even.
I've only heard one shitty Stan album trying to be them.
Blame shitty EDM and then them "progressing" into X-hop beats.
>>
>>60187397
I moved to LA to be a part of the "LA beat scene" and when I got here I realized that it's actually wayyy overhyped and dying
>>
>>60187256
>more experimental type stuff.
oh boy

does not matter what daw you freaking use. you just need to learn every inch of it.
also flyo made cosmogramma off reason and pro tools

Ableton and fl studio both have a ton of tutorials on youtube. just stick with fl studio and audacity

it's gonna take you atleast 5-6 years before you start making decent music
>>
>>60187415
True it's basically fucking mad decent and all of their shit artists that sparked it
>>
>>60187426
So what's your plan now
>>
>>60187415
It's not them trying to emulate their sound, theyre trying to emulate their spirit

The "i dont give a fuck, im gonna release a ton of random albums, be edgy, be totally punk and anti-establishment, and viral my music everywhere" spirit

Vaporwave fed off that same spirit, but helped grow the "i can make a shitty album in a few hours and get a ton of people to listen" mentality more than death grips.

The EDM producers are in the same realm as the vaporwave producers though.
>>
>>60187256
honestly just get way good at FL.

hudmo, arca, jon wayne, mr carmack are all FL producers and the music hits a bit heavier for it
>>
>>60187468
No one label sparked anything.
Shitty beat makers have been around since the dawn of the technology.
It's just the internet has made it easier to find them.

Some artists or labels may have sparked FOTM trends but that's it.
>>
>>60187453
I understand it will take me a long time to make anything halfway decent, I just wanted some advice on if it would matter to switch daws or not. Thanks.
>>
>>60187397
>LA beat

I see this a lot but all I've heard is "FlyLo, Teebs, list goes on and on". What happened to the scene, was it ever as big/important as Wire and others made it sound?
>>
>>60187426
As a native angeleno that's fucking depressing you'd do that (unless you moved from the IE or OC I guess)

If you think it's dying now it's been like that for years, even when the better Brainfeeder albums were coming out.
>>
>>60187521
figuring that out at the moment, writing a bunch of sketches and trying to find my voice really.. see what comes next here in LA
>>
>>60187534
it's not
stick with fl studio

>>60187537
that scene died long ago. it's just newfags hyping it up

tokimonsta,lapalux all ruined that fucking scene
>>
>>60187522
>The "i dont give a fuck, im gonna release a ton of random albums, be edgy, be totally punk and anti-establishment, and viral my music everywhere" spirit

That has literally been around for decades older than DG and even Punk.

DG nor Punk created it.

You people need to stop.
>>
>>60187544
didn't move from that far and I came from a shitty small town so I needed to move to at least some big city. It tripped me out though how overhyped that whole thing is
>>
File: 6-25-10.jpg (71KB, 695x684px) Image search: [Google]
6-25-10.jpg
71KB, 695x684px
>>60187529
>the music hits a bit heavier for it
>>
>>60187537
True Teebs is the only other decent producer in the whole game
>>
>>60187601
Just out of curiosity what shitty town did you come from?
>>
>>60187581
>tokimonsta

care to explain why she was part on 'ruining' it? I don't really care about her music btw
>>
>>60187599
If you don't understand how death grips and the punk scene pumped lufe back into it and brought it to the lime light you cant really claim to know anything about popular music
>>
>>60187606
ableton is a little more linear and angular, FL is a bit more rounded,,, kicks sound a bit fatter imo.
>>
>>60187635
High Point North Carolina
>>
>>60187653
You're a fucking idiot and pulling shit out of your ass.
>>
>>60187544
curious what you think the next 5ish years of angeleno music looks like
>>
>>60187631

and he's still a one trick pony and Ardour gets so predictable before the half

but I guess there's only so much you can do with chopping/editing
>>
>>60187660
Fuck m8 that's across the country
>>
>>60187651
DG were a spark.
I understand they inspired many to try to make shitty experimental music.
I realize they were influential enough for Beyonce to knick their gimmick.
But this kind of thing predates them but you don't hear about it because the internet is young.
>>
>>60187674
lmao I'm actually being serious, I can hear the difference i know it's stupid
>>
>>60187653
>ableton is a little more linear and angular
>FL is a bit more rounded
What the fuck does this even mean?

>FL is a bit more rounded
>I literally don't know shit about producing
>>
OP here. Some of you need to calm the fuck down. It's not my fault "the LA beat scene is dying" and it's not my fault vaporwave exists. Nice job hurling all that rage in the wrong direction. You talk shit to some guy that wants to get started but have any of you actually put hard time in and made something substantial? Because if you did, I have a feeling you'd be interested in at least giving a small piece of advice to a beginner instead of blowing a fucking gasket at him for trying to learn. Jesus fucking christ what's wrong with you people.

And hurr fucking durr, "i smell underage" fuck off. As if being older makes you somehow such a great music critic? Im 19.

I don't just like flylo, I like listening to aphex twin and bibio as well, but that doesnt even fucking matter because if I cant name off every studio album and release date then you fuckers will want to crucify me for "not really being interested"

Im sad I even made this fucking thread
>>
>>60187687
lmao thats not me, I came from reno, nv
>>
OP wasn't asking for people to moan about the LA beat scene, or vaporwave, or soundcloud kids

I go on /mu/ maybe once a week and every time I'm quickly reminded of how absolutely useless this place is
>>
>>60187719
It means the way that clips cut off in ableton is sharper compared to the way clips cut off in FL
in my opinion
>>
>>60187717
You THINK you can hear the difference. You can't.
>>
>>60187760
it's not as much about hearing the difference as it is about the results that come from the way each program makes you approach music. sonically the end product isn't that different
>>
>>60187733
OP, I've got ~250 songs made in FL at this point and honestly you should just stick with whatever you have at the moment, and get good at it. No DAW has limits, only its user does.
Also, when using VST presets fuck with all of the parameters and see how the damn thing actually works. You'll get so much farther ahead making your own presets and arp sequences and such
>>
>>60187733
>I don't just like flylo, I like listening to aphex twin

lmfao forgot "and BoC, the list goes on"

listen man, at the end of the day it doesn't matter what DAW you use, its about how much time you put into it. You could use Audacity ffs if you really wanted.

And questions like yours are tedious (because there is no "answer". If you had asked 'any differences between ableton and FLStudio', then that's a much better question. PS: Ableton lacks the 'piano roll', which makes FLStudio better suited for people making beats/grid based stuff, and for laying down quick ideas. Other than that, and the workflow in general, they both do more or less the same thing) and belong in the /prod/ thread. Don't feel bad that an interesting discussion is taking place
>>
>>60187751
>I don't use Asio4all
>>
>>60187733
desu just make as many tracks as you can with what you have right now. the best thing you can do for yourself musically right now is remove excuses to practice
>>
>>60187829
u just changed my life forever ty!
>>
>>60187690
That's half the point, they spread the ideal to the internet and used the platform in a way never used before (so publically at least). And the "predating" is the punk scene my friend, as I already said. It's really about bringing it to the eye of the public, whether or not it was there before or not; that's when it really starts to have a profound effect on the rest of the music scene around the globe
>>
>>60187733
Welcome to the scene, bitch. You aren't welcome til you prove you have shit to throw
>>
>>60187860
Kill yourself.
>>60187868
Eh. People already forgot about them though.
>>
>>60187631
I love teebs, it makes me sad how little credit he gets, compared to FlyLo for example. I'm the biggest flylo nut hugger there is but recently I find myself enjoying Teebs more. Looking forward to hear more from him

>>60187681
I agree that Ardour is a bit same-y, but I think he kinda fixed that with Estara. The songs are fewer but a lot more developed and interesting imo. Tiny example, on Ardour the drums and percussion all sound very similar. Compare the drums on "Shoouss Lullaby", to "Hi Hat", to "SOTM" tho. Every track is unique in a way that they weren't on Ardour
>>
File: 1436249316440.gif (678KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1436249316440.gif
678KB, 480x320px
>>60187733
>>
>>60187919
No they didn't lol they're on tour, shows sold out, selling for a stupid amount of money, making a new album that was the top trending story on fb for a day. /mu/ is not everybody.
>>
>>60188029
yeah but they were pussies who didn't stay broken up when they said they were. the whole act of them going back out on tour was a huge letdown honestly... It's like when you get back with your ex- girlfriend after you guys broke up and she slept with a couple guys and like the love is still there but it'll never be the same
>>
>>60187256
>over fifty replies
>ctrl+f SP-404
>no results

Fuck you family, goodbye
I promise it's the last time
>>
>>60187690
>I realize they were influential enough for Beyonce to knick their gimmick.

Jesus christ you faggots, dg didn't pioneer the practice of releasing an album with no prior announcement, especially on the internet era. There are two /mu/core artists that did it earlier.
>>
>>60187256
here you go m8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T88Pe_JuNVo
>>
>>60188077
>the whole act
not that guy but you're mad they didn't stay broken up? do you even like their music to begin with?
>>
ITT: everybody tells op to stick with fl studio
op refuses to accept the advice
>>
>>60188085
>He thinks Opie could even figure out how to plug an SP 404 when he doesn't even know how to use a DAW
>>
>>60188085
See you tomorrow, Chuck!
>>
>>60188132
yeah I even saw one of the shows this tour, but them staying broken up would have been a stronger artistic statement. now they have nowhere else to go
>>
if you use FL studio you're not serious
you might be good and successful, but you're not serious about producing
>>
>>60188162
>now they have nowhere else to go

they still have the white middle class faux 'punk' 2nd year Uni student market untapped

oh wait, they already do....
>>
>>60188171

I bet u like ricardo villalobos or some shit
>>
>>60187334

Idk if this is most of that demographics inspiration, but cosmogramma really is a groundbreaking record.
>>
>>60188171
Stop shitposting.
The FL stigma needs to stop.
IL are one the oldest companies after-all.
>>
>>60188171
>inb4 B-B-BUT FRUITY LOOPS MAKES MY KICK THICKER
>>
>>60188200
imo Los Angeles is peak FlyLo
>>
>>60188162
>he cares about "artistic statements"
wew lad
unless you know the real reason why the broke up, you can't say it "was an act!!!!1!!!"
ps no one knows why they actually broke up except the bandmembers themselves
they haven't spoken on it
>they have nowhere else to go
an opinion honestly
>>
>>60188218
this is actually true
>>
>>60188162
>would have been a stronger artistic statement
I'm sorry, are you the master of the art world? Do you know what the statement was from the start? Are you the decider of what is and isn't artistically sound?

Dang, guys I think we're in the presence of the one and only true artist! WE AREN'T WORTHY !!!

Fucking dumbass
>>
>>60188191
+1
>>
>>60188258
>unless you know the real reason why the broke up, you can't say it "was an act!!!!1!!!"
They told us though, they ran out of steam and didn't know what the fuck else to do with it. But shekels are shekels, and nothing gets you more than a rabid group of middle-aged white kids with their parents money.
>>
>>60188258
their break up "note" states that they were a conceptual art project. Imo I think they got back together cause they needed money because they're probably all in debt from breaking their original recording contract.
>>
>>60188314
exactly, that's why I think this current phase of dgs sucks
>>
>>60188376
Ex is their only good album.
TMS has good tracks but is a shit album.
GP & TPTB are just shit though.
>>
>>60188314
>They told us though, they ran out of steam and didn't know what the fuck else to do with it.
They ran out of money dumbass. They were probably broke as fuck so they had to stop. It doesn't mean they ran out steam to make new material.
> But shekels are shekels,
>jewlluminati meme money
>and nothing gets you more than a rabid group of middle-aged white kids with their parents money
But you're white
>>
>>60188417
I think their antics are/were almost more interesting than their music though.... kinda like a modern day sex pistols, now though they are just getting tepid
>>
>>60188376
+1
>>
>>60188432
Doesn't mean I throw all my money at every new and trendy FOTM artist.
But no, they also ran out of good material because everything post-TMS was shit as I said.
>>60188450
I agree.
>>
OP. Don't worry too much about DAWs. Try out their demos, see which one you like best. I believe Flylo used Reason up until Cosmogramma, and switched to Ableton during the making of UTCQ. So choose one and start making stuff. It will take a lot of time to make something good but the dopamine reward is the best thing about it.
>>
>>60188417
this is a sick song tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5GCn1BKkxg
>>
>>60188266
Keep thinking that, dork.
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 948x711px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 948x711px
>>60188486
>Doesn't mean I throw all my money at every new and trendy FOTM artist
Congrats?
>But no, they also ran out of good material because everything post-TMS was shit as I said.
>this opinion
>>
>>60188517
Ride ruins it.
>>60188542
>I have no rebuttal so I'll just throw a dated /pol/ gimmick out
good lad
>>
>>60188590
>muh rebuttal
Uhhh this isn't a debate you dumb nerd.
Your opinion simply went into the trash (4 me).
>>
>>60188672
How?
GP is literally B & C side instrumentals.
TPTB were also b-side tier and them taking fucking forever and splitting it up completely killed the hype because of how underwhelming they were.
>>
>>60188736
>How?
Cause it's your opinion.
>Replies with even more opinions

Stop replying to me
>>
>>60188823

>m-muh opinion

lmfao nice cop out faggot

not even him btw
>>
>>60188244
as a hip hop producer. cosmogramma put him in a different category. apples to l'organges
>>
>>60188736

>>60188906
samefag

>muh cop out

It's literally this faggots opinion you dumbass

opinions aren't factual if you haven't noticed
>>
>>60188949

>m-muh subjectivity

neo-mu everyone
>>
>>60188949
I don't use IRC shit, nor name-calling.
Why don't you give me some hot opinions of your own on why I'm wrong.
>>
>>60188978
Are you quoting yourself?
I don't agree with that guys opinions.
Nice job on misunderstanding me though.

>>60188981
>Opinions can be be right or wrong.
I don't agree with your opinions, and they went into the trash (4 me).
>>
File: onlinfe and offline.jpg (43KB, 670x791px) Image search: [Google]
onlinfe and offline.jpg
43KB, 670x791px
OP torrent abelton, dont pay
Much luck
>>
FLStudio is the best DAW nowadays for electronic music. There are 0 reasons to use any other DAW but FLStudio if you are not going to record live instruments. Just for the Peak controller and "ghost notes" alones beats all the competition.
>>
Use samples
Tweak synths and improv crude sfx/arp sequences
Get a chiptune vst
Get a fender rhodes (vst)
Learn extended/contemporary, fat gospel chords
Get an MPC, practice finger drumming by listening to J Dilla and Pete Rock
Smoke weed and record a beat live (min. 200 measures)

You are FlyLo.
>>
to add a bit of natural swing in your drums on fl, click on the sample, go to functions, and adjust the time offset. there ya go
>>
Keep it FL studio, keep 2 more than 98
>>
>>60190065

>Smoke weed

you thinks this help?
>>
>>60187653

>ableton is a little more linear and angular, FL is a bit more rounded,,, kicks sound a bit fatter imo.

>kicks sound a bit fatter

lol wut
>>
i dont like FL but not for the "le pleb daw" stupid ass argument, i just find ableton so much straight forward and easy to use.
im still a new at prod but is kinda easy if you just keep doing shit.
thats literally all you have to do, not stoping.
sidechain your way into succes nigga
>>
Get inspired by what inspired FlyLo, not FlyLo himself.
>>
>>60191133
>>60191144
those numbers speak the truth
specially the 44 one
>>
>>60188486
>The bounciness of NOTM with Ride's insanely obscure and even trippy vocal delivery.
>The underrated genius of Government Plates, and Ride's consistent themes of paranoia, shots at L.A Reid, and the fucking beauty of Whatever I Want
>Jenny Death

come on
>>
>>60187256
Do you have any experience in programming? Check out Pure Data and the book "designing sound" and try making some crazy generative stuff to base your music on.
>>
>>60187397
>>60187522
Is there ever a thread in which nobody blames death grips for ruining everything?
>>
producing is a waste of time and will get you nowhere in life
>>
get an sp 404 and use some random daw for recording, some editing and mixing.
thats literally it
>>
>>60187256
As a fellow newb, lemme just say that switching to Ableton wont change anything if you suck. Just have fun making beats in FL, try to recreate beats you know, get decent at it. Then, once you actually need to do something that you cant do in FL switch to Ableton.
>>
>>60191224
No

Saying this as a fan
>>
>>60187453
>it's gonna take you atleast 5-6 years before you start making decent music
more like 3 months if you arent completly retarded.
6 years lmfao like if music was that hard hahaha
>>
>>60191282
meh

I still agree with the anon who said that all the shitty EDM being pumped into the industry is more to blame
>>
>>60187522
Ok this
>>60187599
Ok this too, this is a strategy to stay relevant and do shows to be honest
>>
>>60187334
>like there is a gorillion producers out there a lot more interesting/better by almost every measure than FlyLo.
Can you name some? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I really don't know of any other producers as good or better
>>
if you're jus tmaking sample beats you can do that on anything right., it's not that complex
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.