[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if Smile was finished and released in '67?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (102KB, 476x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 476x475px
What if Smile was finished and released in '67?
>>
Would they be considered better than the Beatles?
>>
Honestly, as good as it is, it would probably have been no where near as popular as Pepper simply because of the direction they took the music in.
>>
File: 1441905439706.gif (2MB, 350x255px) Image search: [Google]
1441905439706.gif
2MB, 350x255px
>>60181772
DUBS HAVE SPOKEN
>>
>>60181735
would have been a cult album
>>
File: 2_3224.jpg (24KB, 438x350px) Image search: [Google]
2_3224.jpg
24KB, 438x350px
Fuck off Brian, no one cares!
>>
>>60181735
I think it would be the type of album that would be loved by critics and music nerds but completely ignored by everyone else until it gained internet popularity 30 years later.
>>
>>60181735
Initially, everyone would've been baffled by SMiLE and it would've received lukewarm sales and mixed reviews. Fast forward a few decades, it would end up being praised as a masterpiece. Just like Pet Sounds.
>>
>>60181735
I think it would've sold well but the reviews would have been polarizing. Some would hail it as a breakthrough masterpiece and others would be confused. Nevertheless, it would still have probably had as much influence, or greater than, Pet Sounds on musicians and songwriters.
>>
Brian: Hey what do you think of the record so far?
label: we dont like it, too weird
Brian: Oh ok. I'll just stop.
Brian: *Sleeps*
Mike Love: Fuck
>>
File: 1442269587958.jpg (37KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1442269587958.jpg
37KB, 300x300px
Would Wild Honey still be the bands follow up??
>>
It would have been great. An addition to the list of great albums released that year.
>>
>>60181779
That's not even dubs you retarded shit
>>
>>60181864
what direction would Brian the music post smile?
>>
File: 1443227690704.jpg (10KB, 295x378px) Image search: [Google]
1443227690704.jpg
10KB, 295x378px
>>60181735
>>
>>60181864
>>60181885
He probably would've scaled down after that.
>>
File: N0BYrC4.jpg (57KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
N0BYrC4.jpg
57KB, 640x492px
>>60181862
Big Mike then proceeds to create a masterpiece from the scraps of Beta Brian's failure called Smiley Smile

It's just another love thing
>>
From it's imaginary Wikipedia page:
Originally scheduled for release in December 1966 or January 1967, Capitol Records continuously pushed back the release date and put considerable pressure on the Beach Boys, who were ultimately forced to abandon their planes for an independent record label. Capitol released “Here Today”, b/w “You Still Believe in Me” as a single in February 1967 to fill the gap. Smile was finally released on July 5, 1967, right as the band’s popularity and reputation in the US was slipping amidst the rise of the psychedelic era. The album initially polarized critics, with many celebrating it as an artistic triumph and Brian Wilson’s magnum opus, and others expressing confusion and labeling it as an unfocused waste of talent. Capitol’s rigorous promotion allowed it to reach number 1 on the Billboard album chart for five weeks, replacing the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, and certified Platinum by the RIAA by the end of the decade. The success and acclaim of Smile gave the Beach Boys a reinvigorated popularity and artistic veneration, and an alternate version of “Heroes and Villains”, featuring elements from the rest of the album, was a top five hit. In 1968, Smile won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year. Today’ the album is considered one of the greatest and most important in pop music history. In 2004, it was ranked number 7 on Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.
>>
>>60181864
Worst follow up, and no, it wouldn't. All those shitty albums that followed would not be made because Brian wouldn't be too scared to contribute again.
>>
>>60181864
he would've waited 3 years and followed up with Sunflower.
>>
Paul McCartney would have committed suicide upon hearing it, causing the Beatles to fall apart. The White Album wouldn't have been recorded and the song Helter Skelter would have never existed which in turn means that the metal genre wouldn't exist today.

Brian Wilson had a dream, a vision. A vision of a world without metal. It's so sad that mental illness got the best of him and it never came true.
>>
>>60181913
Get the fuck off the computer Mike
>>
Smiley smile is better than smile TEE BEE H
>>
Nigga no one even liked Pet Sounds when it came out.
>>
File: manly tears.jpg (40KB, 447x599px) Image search: [Google]
manly tears.jpg
40KB, 447x599px
>>60181925
>>
I read somewhere the massive pressure and reaction would cause him to try to kill himself
>>
>>60181966
England loved Pet Sounds, senpai
>>
there was a fucking part of this beach boys documentary I was watching on youtube and I swear they said that Brian asked the label what they thought of the smile sessions so far. They said it was too weird/not what they wanted, Brian basically said "ok" then just went off the rails.

but I cant find where they said it again.

Im sure that part had a shot of the capitol records building
>>
>>60181957
And Charles Manson would instead have been a peaceful figure and would go on to set up a chain of health food stores dedicated to Brian.
>>
How long is your Heroes and Villains mix?
>>
>>60182007
The absolute madman
>>
If I want to experience Smile properly, what version should I listen to? The Smile Sessions or the Brian Wilson recording?
>>
>>60182113
it would clear things up if I just found it again

some woman I think said Brian basically complied and shelved it
>>
>>60182115
Sessions.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.