[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do people like this album so much? I'm honestly scratching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

How do people like this album so much? I'm honestly scratching my head. It's a bunch of incoherent melodic musings structured with overdubbing and delay effects.

I get the appeal, trust me I do (shoegazer for 4 years), but I just can't grasp why this has universal acclaim from people that aren't shoegazers.
>>
File: community_image_1418393964.png (394KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1418393964.png
394KB, 1024x1024px
nice meme m8
>>
those people probably haven't ever even had a bowl cut

just tell them to fuck off, they don't speak our language, fellow gazer
>>
To me, it plays like a symphony, I really think the melodies are strong enough to warrant the comparison. What it lacks in musical complexity is compensated for in timbric exploration.
>>
>>60173529
Oh look. It's THIS thread again. How about, for once in your life, you take some initiative and read the reviews on RYM or the archive to find out why?
>>
>>60173529
Because it sounds good.
>>
File: 1441481307807.jpg (27KB, 639x487px) Image search: [Google]
1441481307807.jpg
27KB, 639x487px
WHY CANT PEOPLE JUST ACCEPT THAT NOT EVERY ALBUM THATS RATED HIGH THEY WILL LIKE. CMON BITCH.
>>
Personally I've never enjoyed this album very much at all. I fully agree that it's a cool sonic aesthetic he came up with and it does sound good, but I find the songs largely unmemorable. A lot of scattered, stilted melodies. The singing is generic whiney alternative navel-gazing. I honestly like the third one, the "whales fucking" maybe the most. There's interesting harmonies and dynamics, a cool, odd instrumental. The rest of it is like the fucking Lemonheads in a jet engine or some shit
>>
>>60173529
Because it's the only shoegaze album non-shoegazers have listened.
>>
>>60174199
>shoegazers
kill yourself baka desu senpai
>>
>>60174208
nah faա
>>
i've listened to a shit ton of shoegaze and this is still my fav album oat. please name a better shoegaze album than loveless lmfao.
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 500x500px
>>60175143
>>
>>60173529
It's a good album but I feel like it relies too much on the dreamy sonic landscape it creates. The melodies aren't very memorable imo. 7/10 desu senpai
>>
>>60175183
except it's a cheesy as fuck album which is only good for 2 or 3 listens
>>
>>60174057
>liking "Touched" the most when it's objectively the worst song on Loveless

kek
>>
>>60175272
not that anon, but Touched is one of the best songs on the album
>>
>>60173529
Because they are plebs with a surface level knowledge of shoegaze.

All the songs sound the same, there is little variation other than the song touched.
>>
>>60175272
>He thinks Touched is a "song"
lel, pleb.
>>
>>60173529
it was just something incredibly new and unique at the time - dismissing it as a "bunch of incoherent melodic musings with overdubbing and delay effects" is an extremely cynical way to out it, and quite frankly making it sound much less creative and original than it actually was

the melodies were just as strong as the ones on any regular pop song, they weren't incoherent - like all good pop melodies, they were catchy, upbeat, and fun to sing along to, but they were obscured by layers and layers of guitar noise - the formula wasn't anything new, and had been attempted earlier by bands like JAMC, but mbv used this formula to achieve a sound that was entirely their own, which is a very rare and impressive thing to accomplish

it's been nearly 25 years and loveless has also held up incredibly well, too - it never once sounds dated, it doesn't feel like a product of its time. it's timeless

loveless really contained perfect pop songs, it was just the way the band presented them that could alienate a few people
>>
>>60173529
>>60174057
>>60173722
>>60175201
>>60176034
>>60176086
ITT: /mu/tants try to talk about music, exposing that they know literally nothing about how to talk about music.

Are you all fucking 18? Really 16. That's how you look.
>>
I love this album but I don't really like any other shoegaze. It's not one of those albums I like for being technically tight, there's just a few melodies that sound great to me. Truth be told, it sounds like opiates, and I love opiates. It's got the same visceral appeal as alt rock and grunge, just the right amount of dissonant
>>
>>60173562
Grey Face (no space)
>>
>>60173529
shoegazer for 5 years here you are objectively wrong.
>>
File: psub-1440.jpg (312KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
psub-1440.jpg
312KB, 1440x1440px
>>60175143
>>
>>60173529
Bruh, when it clicks for you, you're gonna be in a literal state of euphoria. Not even meme-ing here. Slowdive and Ride got nothing on MBV. It's the epitome of the term "music for musicians"
>>
>>60176339
lol
>>
>>60176309
>shoegazer for 5 years here
>5 years

What does that even mean?
>>
>>60176319
I hope you aren't being serious
>>
>>60176351
means i've been a shoegazer for a year more than OP and therefore have objectively more credibility in judging music residing in the shoegazer territory.
>>
>>60176403
True
>>
>>60176357
Why?
>>
>>60173529
>shoegazer for 4 years
just because you bought a second hand reverb pedal from ebay 3 and a half years ago does NOT mean you are a SHOEGAZER
>>
>>60176483
What if it's got reverse reverb?
>>
Having learned to play the songs on this album and knowing how Shields made it I think it's a pretty unique album and closer to what Sonic Youth were doing at the time than other shoegaze acts.

With that said I still like Slowdive's Pygmalion more than Loveless.
>>
>>60176443
I mean I really like that album but cmon Loveless is in a completely different league
>>
>>60176508
you must have at least 8 pedals to be a shoegazer

you cannot use a stratocaster or any other non jaguar guitar

you also must have a roland jazz chorus amp

made before the 16th of march 1997
>>
>>60176531
>completely different league
>part of /mu/core

kek okay
>>
>>60176544
>there are people out there that actually believe this.
>>
>>60176546
Mate what the fuck are you on about

I'm saying the composition of the music and the exploration of texture on Loveless is far more interesting and commendable than EEM.

Whether it's a part of /mu/core or not is irrelevant to the quality of the art itself. You're not impressing anyone with your super obscure taste dude
>>
Cringe thread?
>>
>>60176196
not any of them, but how do you talk about music then?
>>
>>60173529
>(shoegazer for 4 years)
Well that's a lie
>>
>>60173529
7.5/10
>>
>>60176319
top kek

might be shoegaze aoty though
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.