[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/ - Production General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

File: ogp (1).jpg (19KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ogp (1).jpg
19KB, 1000x1000px
Korg Bias Edition

Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.
>Mixing Secrets and misc resources from previous thread
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
>>60161683
>Korg Bias Edition
whats Korg bias edition?
>>
>>60161974
seriously

the edition is supposed to be one of the topics of discussion from the last thread and the picture is supposed to be lunga.

what is with this these shit op's?
>>
Alright prod, so my headphones are fucked and I've been meaning to cop monitors for a while. Should I get HS5s and buy a sub later or save up for HS8s? I usually produce dub or deep house.
>>
>>60162203
i have the 5's and i don't think they're quite as bad as people make them out to be.

make sure you try all the room control settings though, i assumed because they were 5 inch monitors and i was in a kinda big room i should just leave the low end trim alone but recently i tried putting the low and high trim both at -2db and they're sounding better than they ever have

sub bass frequencies are obviously still not there but it feels a little more balanced just in general now
>>
>>60161683
>Korg Bias Edition
I have a Korg Volta bass and a monotron Delay, love them both. Next on the list is the Korg MS-20m.I think the MS-20m will be so fucking good
>>
>>60161683
>Korg Bias Edition

I'm all in the box bro, no Korg stuff for me.
>>
>>60162407
i've got 3 kaoss pads, two 3's and a mini 2.

also pining for my microsampler hardcore these days, traded it for a 404sx that never really lived up to my expectations
>>
>>60162484
Korg MS-20, M1 and the other one all as plugins
>>
>>60162484
korg is in the box too, check out the legacy collection

i still think mde-x is a really underrated vst
>>
>>60162515
>the other one
but there are 3 other synths in the legacy collection. polysix, wavestation, mono/poly
>>
>>60162490
How good are the chaos pads in a studio setting keep thinking of getting one as they look really good.
>>
>>60162515
>>60162525
I did not know that, thanks for informing me, I'm going to see if they got any free stuff, if not, oh well
>>
>>60162407
Volca Bass is a surprisingly nice little monosynth.

>>60162525
one of the best collections of VSTs out there. Is MDE-x based on a previous piece of hardware or did they make it for the collection?
>>
>>60162546
>but there are 3 other synths in the legacy collection. polysix, wavestation, mono/poly
Even better then.

I have the iM1 and iMS-20 on my iPad and I think both are great especially the iM1 the iMS-20 is really good too and has taught me a lot about synthesis but it lacks the analogue sound, but fuck for the price they are both really good
>>
>>60162490
>404sx didn't live up to the hype
What went wrong. Its a linear wave Sampler. What didn't it do to make you dissatisfied?
>>
>>60162490
Warned you about the 404 meme family
>>
>>60162640
>Volca Bass is a surprisingly nice little monosynth.
Its great. I'm still surprised by what it can do and how good it sounds for the price. In fact it has turned me to never buy anymore analogue soft synths ever again. I have Monark which apparently is an amazing emulation of the moog synth but to me it sounds nothing like the analogue sound of the Volca. I know its a totally different synth but it just sounds too digital to me
>>
>>60162582
i like them alot (why do you think i own 3? lol). using them all with the 404 as an external effects chain for my daw is fun as fuck
>>60162616
anything is free if you truly believe
>>60162640
says on the website that it's based on the effects from the triton
>>60162653
i just hate it for actually chopping samples. the start end point knobs will only trim like 100ms, the fact that you can only resample 2 stereo or 4 mono samples, the fact that you can sample at a specified sample but not resample at one making it really easy to sample at a (not displayed on screen) decimal point of a bpm and have your loops go out of sync, the pitch and time algorithms just not sounding very good, no ability to sample across multiple pads or divide an existing sample across multiple pads without duplicating it and setting the start/end points on all the duplicates... i only started liking my 404 when i gave up on it as a sampler and used it for effects lol
>>60162706
no you didn't, i know because i'm the only one in here i've ever seen warning people about 404s
>>
>>60162832
>i like them alot (why do you think i own 3? lol). using them all with the 404 as an external effects chain for my daw is fun as fuck
What effects are they best at?

>no you didn't, i know because i'm the only one in here i've ever seen warning people about 404s
Get yourself a EMU ESI 4000 with a turbo board. cheats as fuck and its one hell of a sampler
>>
>>60162975
i like combining the different reverbs in various amounts, the talk filter is probably my most used effect, or doing a bunch of scittery glitchy finger tapping with the delays and loopers and stuff... any of the effects are at least workably good, really. i don't have a lot of favourite individual effects, i like just fucking around and finding cool ways to combine them all
>EMU ESI 4000
hmm... i dunno lol looks kinda old for my liking
>>
>>60162407
I love the MS-20 mini. Had so much fun with it I ended up buying a King Korg back when I wasn't a NEET. Finally feels like I'm getting the motivation back to actually do stuff with them.

>>60162076
Ah sweet memories of when
>>
where to get vocal harmony samples
>>
>>60163975
i record my own, want some?
>>
Anyone know how to go about ripping instruments from an N64 rom to create a soundfont?
>>
File: tumblr_nwxtcg7NVV1qjcdw9o1_540.jpg (45KB, 540x380px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwxtcg7NVV1qjcdw9o1_540.jpg
45KB, 540x380px
FOR MODULAR NERDS:

in the case of a stacked CV input to a sound source, can i use a secondary 1v/o as a positive transpose?

ie: if i have a sequencer running pitch CV into an oscillator and have a stackable plug on the input with a CV input from a MIDI-CV converter module running into it, would the second input add to the value and act as a transpose to that value, or would it likely fuck up the input voltage and give me something incoherent?
assume no slide, assume no wonky input, assume only positive transposition
>>
>>60162203
I always say go for the save a bit more, get the better stuff but if your room isn't that big then you probably don't need gigantic speakers.

Either way, I recommend checking out Equator Audio, they're doing a new production run on the D5s and the first wave is already sold out. I get mine around Nov27. My room is small so the D5s are ok, but they're supposedly gonna do a run of the D8s in January.

Check them out, they have 11/10 customer service. These guys don't beat around the bush. Seriously, I emailed them to ask about sorting out shipping details since I live in PR, and asked if they were doing the "pre-order a pair and get a monitor carrying case" offer they had last year and they literally said "We can throw in a carrying case. You bet". Read the D5s reviews on gearslutz and on their website.

Sometimes it's easy to tell which companies do it for the money and which ones do it for the love.
>>
>>60165036
n64 sound tool
>>
File: Photo on 4-11-15 at 8.39 PM.jpg (91KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 4-11-15 at 8.39 PM.jpg
91KB, 800x533px
woooo my new supercheep kick drum/bass/amp/skramz mic arrived today. i'm like the king of cheep mics but ONLY good value mics. i have some top performers for minimal expenditure and i love it. based on reviews this should be another, but we'll see. can't wait to toss this one-pound beastie in front of my 12x1 and record some bass.

who here likes to record shit?
>>
File: tom_drums.jpg (536KB, 1113x559px) Image search: [Google]
tom_drums.jpg
536KB, 1113x559px
>>60166179
>who here likes to record shit?
who doesn't

my favorite kick mic is the D6, I always come back to it no matter what else I try. it's pretty perfect
>>
>>60166388
yeah man the D6 is pretty great... I don't own one though. big fan of the yanaha subkick too. i made my own in fact, but it's been disassembled because instead of using a small speaker cabinet I want to put it into a small drum (like the yamaha one is) but I'm having trouble finding one for cheap/free.

honorable mention: Crown PZM (AKG D112 goes without sain)
>>
>>60165455
C-curriculum Vitae?
>>
>tfw no one posted anything yet so I can't hear those glorious wips

f-first

https://clyp.it/iezvuizp
>>
>>60167379
i'll record something with my new migraphone, craaazy new microphone >>60166179

can't make any real noise until the morrow however

https://clyp.it/gknk3qi1
>>
>>60167532
nice
>>
File: 20150212103156.png (244KB, 396x463px) Image search: [Google]
20150212103156.png
244KB, 396x463px
>>60167593
thanks friend.

i should do this with all my mics. make a youtube video of me saying the same weird thing into different mics. the stethoscope and contact mics will be 'ilarious, pic related
>>
File: wrestlemania_nes.gif (238KB, 376x118px) Image search: [Google]
wrestlemania_nes.gif
238KB, 376x118px
>>60167379
dude this is jivin'. i really have no great suggestions. it's a good, clean mix.

>pic related
>>
>>60168073
thanks bruh. love the gif too holy shit. makes me wanna replay wrestlemania
>>
>>60168158
i got it in my room as i type this. i'm too busy tomorrow to play though, soon though.
>>
https://clyp.it/re2qmxmk

Still need to vary the drum programming on this like someone suggested last thread but added a couple things and took some other stuff out since the last upload. Quieted the break a bit since I really need to get some decent Amen samples or arrange them better. I feel like I suck at doing keys and making them sound interesting.

Damn Ableton Live 9.5 is resource intensive as hell though. Thank fuck I'm not working on my laptop otherwise it'd be living up to it's nickname of "Firestarter".
>>
Hey, what's a good affordable vocal mic?
>>
File: Red-Fang-02.jpg (456KB, 1600x1082px) Image search: [Google]
Red-Fang-02.jpg
456KB, 1600x1082px
>>60170254
Shure SM57.
>>
>>60161683
>Korg Bias Edition
Is it really a bias when they're just better then everyone else?
>>
File: DSCF2939.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2939.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>cheap aftermarket power cable for my drum machine broke
>prong is wedged in my surge protector so hard that i can't get it out
kek guess it's time to finally get a rackmount surge protector then. anyone know of any decent ones around or under $100?
>>
i know this gets asked alot but whats an affordable analog synthesizer, i remember a couple of weeks ago everyone was reccing the same one, thankyou
>>
>>60172321
arturia microbrute probably

does it need to be analog though? you could get a digital synth with a better feature set in the same price range.
>>
>>60172344
>arturia microbrute
yeah thats it, thanks man, well im just starting off but i really am into analog but i guess it doesnt have to be, what are some equally priced digital synths that would be better thanks
>>
>>60172470
navtion's synths seem to hover around that price range on the used market, stuff like the k-station/x-station etc which are capable of being played polyphonically and also have a basic 2-op FM synthesis engine.

just listen to sound demos of various synths and see what you like; analog or not is completely irrelevant unless you like the characteristics of analog synths, and even then those characteristics are sometimes unique to the specific brand/model of synth anyways.
>>
>>60172578
hmm okay, yeah ill look into more digital stuff, i just looked it up and the cheapest i can get a microbrute in australia is $650 anyway so ill have a look, also whats your opion on the korg ms2000 they arent that bad of a price
>>
>>60172647
>also whats your opion on the korg ms2000 they arent that bad of a price
never used one personally but i'm fairly certain it's essentially a knobby version of the microkorg (same/similar? sound engine.) it's only got 4 voices of polyphony though which may be a bit off-putting if you want to do big chords or anything like that, but it's got high and band-pass filters on top of the standard low-pass which can be useful.
>>
https://clyp.it/o552ttuj

Made this acid patch on my Ion, can i get some feedback on how to make it more authentic?
>>
I'm really wanting an MS-20. Someone willing to donate to the poor?
>>
>>60172647
If you have no idea about how synths work, you should probably start with analogue. Having all the knobs and stuff, it's really intuitive to get a basic understanding of it. Jumping straight into FM hardware would probably just make you quit trying because it's impossible, or just give up trying to program it.

If you have a basic idea, most of the analouge modelling or whatever they call them (microkorg, mininova) are good for beginner workhorses. They're relatively powerful, and then you learn to menudive, which is basically the interface for all digital synths.
>>
>>60173238
I started off with a Yamaha DX7, needless to say two years later and I was still trying to figure the fucker out.
>>
Anyone know how i can get my guitar to sound as worn out and "trashy" as this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHQa70ujg_Y
>>
How do i get a good workflow with samples in ableton?
I usually record my own samples from my piano and synths etc. and chop them up to make skippy sounds and emulate rhythm without using beats, but it's always just really clunky to record the audio samples, turn them into audio, then chop them up in simpler, and then place them.

It's especially hard because i usually use close to 50 short samples in my songs (most of which are the same sounds recorded with a bit of variation, like higher velocity on the piano or different filters)

Is there a quicker way to do it then how i do it? It always feels really clunky especially because i have to switch back and forth between tracks a lot.

I don't know much about ableton yet. I've only been producing for a month
>>
>>60174130
try the guitar thread bro
>>
If my CPU shits itself over a few instances of dblue_glitch, a better audio interface won't solve a thing, right?

Honestly, I'm confused about what the interface even does. It's a glorified volume knob for me. Helps with some driver issues I guess.
>>
>>60165455
I think it would just fuck up the voltage
ill try it on some oscillators right now
>>
>>60174457
Why? Lo-fi production is pretty /prod/ and effects apply to guitars as much as they do to synths. In fact i'm recording my guitar digitally in ableton
>>
>>60161683

>Korg Bias Edition

MS20M
MicroKorg
Volca Beats
Volca Bass
Volca Keys
Monotron Delay
Kaoss Pad 3+

Just got the MicroKorg yesterday, and I've enjoyed every second of it
>>
>>60165455
okay, just did it (as per >>60174589)
a cv keyboard milted over the pitch voltage provided by a cartesian sequence created a near-transposition effect, however none of the four oscillators i tried remained in tune.

There are though many relatively simple patches and modules that enable you to easily achieve that effect properly

the bottom line is that CV mixing is only ever useful to generate weird atonal shit
>>
>>60174606
because they actually know about that stuff

the same principles may apply, but i've never used a guitar in my life and don't know a single thing about them
>>
File: Dubstep.jpg (6KB, 150x216px) Image search: [Google]
Dubstep.jpg
6KB, 150x216px
>>60174239
Asking this question also. Live seems like a mess for this shit
>>
>>60174130
reverb with very little dry signal, and plenty of wet.

make sure your guitar is out of tune for maximum effect.

This sound is all about the reverb. tinker until you get it close, or try a different reverb.
>>
>>60174130
get a convolution reverb with convolutions like "in the next room" or "down the hall" like altiverb

or just literally put your microphone down the hallway
>>
File: reaper project.jpg (702KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
reaper project.jpg
702KB, 1920x1080px
https://clyp.it/0o3xqwn4

I really cbf working on this anymore so this is done for now I guess.
>>
>>60174530
Yep it's a glorified volume knob with other volume knobs that you can plug instruments into.
>>
>>60174619
How do you get on with the MS-20m? Thinking of getting it as my main synth, been watching a lot of YouTube videos about it and it looks great. I've had the iMS-20 for a while now and really enjoy using that.
>>
File: image.jpg (544KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
544KB, 2048x1536px
This little sucker from Korg is fucking amazing for dirty as fuck delays especially for the price (£30.00).

Pic related
>>
>>60176602
I love the Monotron series. I started with it about a year ago, got 6 other synths since them because of it.
>>
>>60176636
I actually bought the Volca sample and was so impressed by that I bought the Volca Bass, really liked that so bought the monotron delay, then the iM1 and all the card updates, iMS-20 and gadget for the iPad. All of that stuff has been great value the iM1 is amazing for £30 too.
>>
guess the korg bias edition is as good a thread as any to ask

anyone here use the new electribe sampler? i'm wondering if i should go for one of those instead of trying to find another microsampler
>>
>>60176785
bump because threads keep dying when i ask this question
>>
>>60175113
>>60174239

I'm not sure if this will help you, but here's my workflow

I drop the source track (usually a long track I want to cut up) into the view. I detect parts which sound sampleable - and cut them up very roughly.

Then, I add a Drum Rack instrument and drag the cut up bits into individual pads. Then, for each pad, I adjust the beginning in the sampler window of the Drum Rack, set all the samples to the same choke group (so I don't have to worry about defining ends of the samples) and maybe set a release of about 200ms for some of the samples that I want to control in detail.

And bam, I have a Drum Rack ready to be used as a MPC sampler or whatever you want to emulate.
>>
bump

also i know no sc, but this is real life and you have to hear how fucking dumb it is
https://soundcloud.com/abcpolitics/ben-carson-radio-ad
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.