[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

more bands like nmh? looking for a rock/pop with an eclectic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: neu.jpg (107KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
neu.jpg
107KB, 640x427px
more bands like nmh? looking for a rock/pop with an eclectic uncommon instrumentation

preferably no E6 bands
>>
GASHCAT. They're not as eclectic but they sound pretty similar.

https://www.bandpage.com/GASHCAT
>>
>>59634546
yea, it's similar to nmh but not what i'm looking for, i specified eclectic weird instrumentation
>>
not poppish but similar instrumentation to nmh. darker and weirder though
https://jordaanmason.bandcamp.com/album/divorce-lawyers-i-shaved-my-head
>>
>>59634546
Gross.

>>59634157
If you mean Aeroplane:
Syd Barrett, Daniel Johnston, Half Japanese, Television Personalities (Could Have Been Bigger Than The Beatles), Skip Spence, Velvet Underground (s/t)

If you mean Avery Island:
Tall Dwarfs (Hello Cruel World), Early Olivia Tremor (demos, a few Synthetic Flying Machine songs), Swell Maps, Velvet Underground (White Light)

If you just want the "indie rock" feel:
Modest Mouse, The Microphones, Sonic Youth, The Minutemen (one of Jeff's favorite bands, massive influence)

Neutral Milk Hotel are an incredibly complex band and you'll never really find anything like them, unless you want something like The Arcade Fire or The Decemberists. Mangum soaked pretty much everything in as an influence.
Syd Barrett and Bob Dylan were massive influences on him.
>>
elephant 6 records
>>
It's just guitar / bass / drums indie rock with a bunch of shit layered on in the studio.

Listen to Moody Blues for the real stuff.
>>
File: 1444698417864.jpg (70KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
1444698417864.jpg
70KB, 680x583px
>>59635139
>>
File: 614diHhY5kL.jpg (87KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
614diHhY5kL.jpg
87KB, 500x500px
>>59634157

just listen to this, its practically the 60s elephant 6/OTC/NMH whatever
>>
>>59635396
I don't understand what you're implying.
>>
I recommend this to any fan of e6 stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qXOpNxE6fk
>>
>>59635310
Aeroplane features a organ, singing saw, a bowed banjo, accordion, white noise, trumpet, trombone, flugelhorn, euphonium, zanzithophone, saxophone, uillean pipes

is not just a bunch of shit layered on, it sounds so perfectly blended it's insane, is there really not a single rock or pop band that merge similar sutff like this?
>>
>>59635535
No, that's what I was saying in this post >>59635139.
He took influence from mountain songs (the singing saw is a very traditional folk instrument) and Eastern European gypsy music and free jazz, and managed to blend them with psychedelic influenced indie rock. He loved bands like Fugazi and The Minutemen (King of Carrot Flowers pts. 1 & 3), old motown and doowop Phil Spector shit (In the Aeroplane Over the Sea), indie rock like Sonic Youth and Swell Maps (soundscapes that dominate the record).
You're not going to find a band like Neutral Milk Hotel, because nothing really sounds like them. He was also influenced by surrealist fiction (Les Chants de Maldoror, Nadja, Aurelia) and Victorian era pop culture.

Don't try to find bands that sound exactly like other bands, listen to what those bands have in common. Women is a pretty good indie rock band that has a similar vibe, but imagine if Jeff Mangum liked The Velvet Underground and Joy Division instead of Syd Barrett and Bob Dylan.
>>
>>59635799
Fuck it, listen to Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire.
>>
>>59635799
>imagine if Jeff Mangum liked The Velvet Underground
He absolutely does
>>
>>59635830
If you like Andrew bird and neutral milk Beirut is a good place to go (first album only though)
>>
>>59635139
tell me about Jeff, why does he hold the chicken?
>>
my nigga kanye
>>
>>59635846
Oh, no. That's not what I was saying. I just meant that instead of idolizing Syd Barrett, if Mangum had idolized Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground. That was it. No, man, The Velvet Underground is all over Neutral Milk Hotel.

>>59635991
He was at a farm.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.