[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

Hey /mu/, I wanna get deeper into electronic music, will you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 17

File: cover.jpg (36KB, 500x493px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
cover.jpg
36KB, 500x493px
Hey /mu/, I wanna get deeper into electronic music, will you help me out?

Artists I already like:
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Boards of Canada
Brian Eno
Flying Lotus
Justice
Moby
Oneohtrix Point Never
The Prodigy
>>
some artists you might like
Basic Channel
Gas
Biosphere
Future Sound of London
Loscil
Monolake
Venetian Snares
Underworld
>>
Underworld, Basic Channel, Alec Empire, Pan Sonic, I could go on...
>>
I'm in the most chill/jazzier side of electronica. So, I could give you recs there.

Atjazz, Recloose, Jeremy Ellis, Afronaught, Jazztronik, Zero 7, Air, Paul & Price, Jazzanova
>>
>>55408022

; )
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPR9ZsvkA2k
goat. if it comes out this year, definite aoty
>>
File: image.jpg (967KB, 1462x1524px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
967KB, 1462x1524px
Some artists you might like here.
>>
>>55419474
>implying /bleep/ talks about all electronic music.

Lets be real some genres are liked more than others, and some will get you completely ran out.
>>
>>
>>
>>55419413
Prefuse 73
http://youtu.be/zXTQbiJlAOQ

Pantha du Prince
http://youtu.be/7CEQLmgZGPQ
(One of my favorite albums, highly recommend)

Squarepusher
Xanopticon
Venetian Snares
Machine Girl
>>
>>55419578
ebin
>>
>>
>>55419587
oh fuck, also

Plastikman
>>
>>55419563
>>55419578
>>55419599

fuck off, no one here implied that electronic is a genre
>>
>>55419563
Every thread

Fuck off
>>
>>55419599
>no one ever talks about grey/purple

Feels bad man
>>
>>55419578
glad im not the only one who liked timeless holy shit
>>
>>55419606
Have you ever seen a get me into ''acoustic music'' for everything from classical to traditional Indian, pop, rock, r&b, funk, metal, punk and folk?

No, because thats retarded.

So are ''electronic music'' threads. The smorgasbord of music under that umbrella is immense.
>>
>>55419616
Stop being the most retarded music community on the internet then.
>>
>>55419643
alright, but when people post a "help me into electronic music" they typically post artists they already know of, so we have an idea for what to recommend

Again, fuck off if you're not going to contribute anything
>>
>>55419643
The fact that "get me into acoustic music" threads don't exist doesn't mean that "get me into electronic music" don't have a right to exist.
I suppose if one knew only a few acoustic music artists, than one could make a "get me into acoustic music" thread
>>
>>55419679
see
>>55419659

You fuck off an stop facilitating and encouraging ignorance and stupidity.
>>
>>55419681
It means you're fucking stupid for bumping these.
>>
>>55419710
no it doesn't
>>
File: 1430057861806.png (37KB, 976x792px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1430057861806.png
37KB, 976x792px
>>55419789
yes
>>
>>55419413
ok so mainly deeper/more abstract dance stuff that covers a good possible range of interest

Perlon (Label)
Mosaic/Mosaic Blue (Label)
Fear of Flying (label)
Smallpeople
Pantha Du Prince
Anton Zap
Roger Gerressen
Whim-ee
RVDS
STL
>>
>>55419820
yeah so what?
The fact that "get me into acoustic music" threads don't exist doesn't mean that "get me into electronic music" don't have a right to exist.
I suppose if one knew only a few acoustic music artists, then he could make a "get me into acoustic music" thread
>>
>>55420000
>I like /mu/ to be the worst board for music on the internet rife with stupidity, ignorance and like to flaunt it
>>
>>55420031
I never called "electronic" anything more than means of production
What's wrong with wanting to get into an unfamiliar means of production?
>>
>>55419563
there is nothing wrong with Electronic music as a genre. Also to say it is a 'means of production' doesn't make any sense because literally all recorded music produced today uses electronics.
>>
File: 5701850_126.jpg (217KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
5701850_126.jpg
217KB, 1000x1000px
this is electronic music
>>
>>55420048
Its fucking huge amount of music often with zero relevance within its genres. Why not start a thread for one of the genres (which is still then fucking huge amount of music).

>>55420115
>>55420171
electronic amplification != electronically produced
>>
>>55420230
>electronic amplification != electronically produced
yes it does. that music literally does not happen without electricity. You ever hear a band play live? Have you ever heard and electric guitar not plugged in? Unless you are listening to wax cylinders, you are listening to electronically produced music.

If you are gonna be a faggot and come in here calling people on dumb shit like this then expect to be called out when your shit is all retarded. Fuck off.
>>
>>55420609
>You ever hear a band play live?
to elaborate, accoustic instruments sound completely different on recordings than when they are performed untreated by microphone techniques and equalization, and compression, and a ton of other shit that goes on during recordings that all happens with electrical production techniques.
>>
>>55420609
Okay, so this thread now is actually;

''I wanna get deeper into any music thats been ever made that has any relation to electricity in the slightest.''

Might as well just ask for ''music''.
>>
>>55420702
no it's not, because when people say 'electronic music' we all actually know exactly what broad category of music they refer to. The name, like many names in our culture, may be a misnomer, but that doesn't mean it is any less effective at communicating an idea. You can just as easily barge into any genre specific thread and asininely post images insisting that people be more specific about the genre and you would look just as stupid. Just because a few fucking producers reach to be snobby about the language people use doesn't mean they are actually right, yet that doesn't stop ignorant wannabes like you from adopting the same retarded ideas because you lack critical thought and strive to be seen as legitimate as a musical entity, something you can only hope to accomplish by posting images on a Chinese cartoon forum.
>>
>>55420871
>we all actually know exactly what broad category of music they refer to.

Yes, anything produced electronically.

>The name, like many names in our culture, may be a misnomer, but that doesn't mean it is any less effective at communicating an idea.

Yes, anything produced electronically.

>You can just as easily barge into any genre specific thread and asininely post images insisting that people be more specific about the genre and you would look just as stupid.

Electronic is not a genre.

>Just because a few fucking producers reach to be snobby about the language people use doesn't mean they are actually right.

Irrelevant and no idea who you even mean.

> yet that doesn't stop ignorant wannabes like you from adopting the same retarded ideas because you lack critical thought and strive to be seen as legitimate as a musical entity, something you can only hope to accomplish by posting images on a Chinese cartoon forum.

Anything produced electronically is a 3/4 of music ever made, see this thread and >>55419781, might as well just start a thread asking for ''music''.
>>
>>55419413
>Aphex Twin
>Autechre
>Boards of Canada
>Oneohtrix Point Never
Techno

>Brian Eno
Ambient

>Flying Lotus
Hip hop

>Justice
>Moby
House

>The Prodigy
Breaks

Try starting a thread about techno, or ambient, or hip hop, or house, or breaks. They are all huge genres with 100s of substyles and artists spanning over 30 years each, like punk, or metal, or emo for examples.
>>
>>55420991
now you are just being retarded.

when I said we all know what it refers to I mean that it refers to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music


which we all know.

fuck off already
>>
>>55421067
>>55420991

and if you take offense still to the term, go ahead and start calling it Electronica, cause that is a genre too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica
>>
>>55421067
Yes, anything produced electronically.

So 3/4 of music ever made, might as well just start a thread asking for ''music''.
>>
>>55421122
or like this guy said
>>55421061
>>
File: IMG_1313.jpg (143KB, 640x640px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IMG_1313.jpg
143KB, 640x640px
https://soundcloud.com/bobbyferguson
>>
>>55421130
>>55421161

stop being retarded, let me spell this out one last time for you since you are dumb as fuck.

When people refer to 'electronic music' the overwhelming majority of the time they are referring to Electronica.

Acting like there is something wrong with that just makes you a dumbass.
>>
>>55421204
>electronica

aahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha
>>
>>55421204
and for the inevitable bitching you are gonna keep doing I refer you back to this:

>>55421122
>>
>>55421204
(not true by the way)
[citation needed]

>>55421240
see
>>55421061
>>
>>55421122
>>55421240
>Electronica

In North America, in the late 1990s, the mainstream music industry adopted and to some extent manufactured electronica as an umbrella term encompassing styles such as techno, big beat, drum and bass, trip hop, downtempo, and ambient, regardless of whether it was curated by indie labels catering to the "underground" nightclub and rave scenes,[2][3] or licensed by major labels and marketed to mainstream audiences as a commercially viable alternative to alternative rock music.[4]

By the late 2000s, however, the industry abandoned electronica in favor of EDM.
>>
>>55421283
>>55421283
>ambient
>EDM

Eno is my favourite EDM artist.
>>
File: 1422112501285.jpg (7KB, 420x226px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1422112501285.jpg
7KB, 420x226px
>>55421204

>Electronica
>>
>>55421232
>>55421251


ok dumbass, I'm done with you.

It's as if you are trying to argue that the term mammal should not exist because it's not really a term and people should only exclusively refer to mammals by thier species.

>>55421283
right, that's why OP called this thread 'electronic music' not 'electronica' the fact remains that a broader term must exist above EDM, be it electronica or electronic music. You are retarded.

literally just people making up shit to act like they are better than other people. you guys are the worst kind of people.
>>
>>55421359
>the fact remains that a broader term must exist above EDM, be it electronica or electronic music.
given that this is true:>>55420609
electronia is actually the more accurate term. probably that's why it's the heading on wikipedia I would guess.
>>
>>55421359
Or you know, you could try not being retarded.
>>55421061

>>55421359
>right, that's why OP called this thread 'electronic music' not 'electronica'
see
>>55421240

Whats the matter, your argument fallen flat in your face?

As I said >>55419563 and >>55419578 and >>55419599 and >>55419643 and >>55419693 stop shitting up the board and promoting stupidity and ignorance with such far reaching retarded umbrella terms for 100 years of music.
>>
File: electronic music.png (867KB, 1029x1164px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
electronic music.png
867KB, 1029x1164px
Pic related is a good way into the deepest parts of the music.

>Reaching back to grab the grooves of '70s disco/funk and the gadgets of electronic composition, Electronica soon became a whole new entity in and of itself, spinning off new sounds and subgenres with no end in sight two decades down the pike. Its beginnings came in the post-disco environment of Chicago/New York and Detroit, the cities who spawned house and techno (respectively) during the 1980s. Later in that decade, club-goers in Britain latched onto the fusion of mechanical and sensual, and returned the favor to hungry Americans with new styles like jungle/drum'n'bass and trip-hop. Though most all early electronica was danceable, by the beginning of the '90s, producers were also making music for the headphones and chill-out areas as well, resulting in dozens of stylistic fusions like ambient-house, experimental techno, tech-house, electro-techno, etc. Typical for the many styles gathered under the umbrella was a focus on danceable grooves, very loose song structure (if any), and, in many producers, a relentless desire to find a new sound no matter how tepid the results. -AllMusic

Electronica/Electronic has literally the most self-important fans of any genre on /mu/. I can only assume it's an overcompensation for an insecurity. Like, they know that their fav microgenres are critically irrelevant, and by pushing for "equal representation" they can push the cognitive dissonance out and will themselves back into believing they're merely oppressed snowflakes. Meanwhile the entirety of Art Music is condensed into "classical" with no complaints.
>>
>>55421429
can you answer how this is inaccurate?

>>55421359
>It's as if you are trying to argue that the term mammal should not exist because it's not really a term and people should only exclusively refer to mammals by their species.

considering you can't seem to do anything but say over and over again the same baseless assertion without any logical argument to explain it's necessity, I would say you are the one who's argument has fallen flat.

The fact remains that a broad term is necessary, just like the terms pop or rock can refer to a multitude of genres.

You have rejected the terms 'electronic music' and 'electronica' so what term do you suggest?
>>
Psykosonik - unlearn , somewhere between underworld and Duran Duran

Portishead

Guy called Gerald - black secret technology

Any hybrid remix from about 2000

No uturn - torque
>>
>>55421414
> techno, big beat, drum and bass, trip hop, downtempo, and ambient

>is associated with non-dance-oriented music, including relatively experimental styles of downtempo electronic music. It partly overlaps what is known chiefly outside the UK as IDM.
> hip-hop, R&B rhythms

>Björk, Madonna, Goldfrapp
>Eurythmics, Erasure, New Order and Depeche Mod
>Autechre, and Aphex Twin to dub-oriented downtempo, downbeat, and trip-hop.
> The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, The Crystal Method
> Afrika Bambaataa and Grandmaster Flash
> The Black Eyed Peas and Tinie Tempah

>>55421502
>Electronica/Electronic has literally the most self-important fans of any genre on /mu/.
Yeah, fucking ambient fans.
>>
I've wondered idly what problems I have with electronic music. Why doesn't it speak to me?

Maybe the answer resides in the title. "Electronic" doesn't describe a style - it describes the tools used. But what music doesn't use at least some electronic elements, even if it's only at the production stage?

I think the more accurate term for most electronic music would be "laptop music"
>>
>>55421523
>You have rejected the terms 'electronic music' and 'electronica' so what term do you suggest?

see >>55419599

House
Disco
Trance
Techno
Hardcore
Industrial
Downtempo
Hip hop
Garage
Breaks
Avant-garde or Electro-acoustic

11 very different genres, all have over 30 years of music, 100s of artists and substyles, its almost as if they are huge independant genres of each other or something.
>>
>>55421545
>laptop music

What about.....?

1 Early electronic musical instruments
1.1 Telharmonium
1.2 Theremin
1.3 Ondes Martenot
1.4 Trautonium
1.5 Hammond organ and Novachord
2 Analogue synthesis 1950-80
2.1 Modular synthesizers
2.2 Integrated synthesizers
2.3 Polyphony
3 Tape recording
4 Sound sequencer
5 Hardware hacking
6 The digital era 1980-2000
6.1 Digital synthesis
6.2 Sampling
6.3 Computer music
6.4 MIDI
6.5 Turntables
6.6 Apple Macbook pro
7 Modern electronic musical instruments
7.1 The Reactable
7.2 Percussa AudioCubes
7.3 Kaossilator
7.4 Eigenharp
7.5 The Xth Sense
7.6 AlphaSphere
8 Chip music
9 DIY culture
9.1 Circuit bending
9.2 Modular synthesizers
>>
>>55421061
but Moby is mostly techno (earlier) and downtempo (later)
but Oneohtrix Point Never is progressive electronic revival/experimental
but Aphex Twin and Autechre are IDM
but Flying Lotus is wonky/IDM/nu jazz
>>
>>55421614
Moby is shit
>experimental
IDM is techno
FlyLo is hip hop
>>
File: 1426718684190.jpg (16KB, 285x256px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1426718684190.jpg
16KB, 285x256px
>>55421643
>IDM is techno
The whole point of IDM is that it doesn't fit in any of the main genres. How fucking stupid do you have to be to clasify IDM as techno?
>>
>>55419450
>Basic Channel
>Gas

my nigga. I named my radio show after the basic channel
>>
Guys "electronica" is fine for these overlapping trendy dance-related genres see: >>55421502
if your pedantry has a problem with using "electronic". (Again, fans of art music have no problem with "classical" being used in 2 senses)

>>55421533
>Yeah, fucking ambient fans.
Ambient and IDM fans may be the exception.. Those genres have more links to progressive rock (krautrock, eno, floyd, etc) than the R&B references of most electronica.
>>
>>55421584
you can just as easily do the same thing with classical music, rock music, pop music, punk music, etc.

so you are still a retard.


You can't just call them all mammals

monkey
human
bat
cat
dog
bear
mongoose
elephant
tiger
buffalo
horse

11 very different creatures, all have over 30 years of music, 100s of species and substyles, its almost as if they are huge independant genres of each other or something.
>>
>>55421699
The whole point of ''IDM'' is for fat neckbeard autists who are too scared and fat to get into nightclubs to have something to sit at home and tip their fedoras too.
>>
>>55421699
>IDM is that it doesn't fit in any of the main genres.


kek
>>
>>55421716
see
>>55421283
>electronica" is fine for these overlapping trendy dance-related genres
>Ambient and IDM fans may be the exception.. Those genres have more links to progressive rock (krautrock, eno, floyd, etc) than the R&B references of most electronica.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica

By the late 2000s, however, the industry abandoned electronica in favor of EDM.
>>
>>55421502
>Electronica/Electronic has literally the most self-important fans of any genre on /mu/.
>not classical fans and their elitism
>>
>>55421726
>>55421726
>you can just as easily do the same thing with classical music, rock music, pop music, punk music, etc.

Yes, and /mu/ does, so why the fuck wouldn't you with genres that the instruments have plugs attached?

style: string
genre: rock
sub-genre: punk rock
sub-sub-genre: hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-genre: post hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: emotional post hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Mid Western emotional post hardcore punk rock
sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Twinkly Mid Western emotional post hardcore punk rock

style: string
genre: rock
sub-genre: Metal
sub-sub-genre: Extreme Metal
sub-sub-sub-genre: Doom Metal
sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Drone Doom Metal
sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Extreme Drone Doom Metal
sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Extreme Funeral Drone Doom Metal
sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre: Cosmic Extreme Funeral Drone Doom Metal
>>
File: 1401814506304.gif (3MB, 320x180px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1401814506304.gif
3MB, 320x180px
>>55421738
>>
>>55421726
>>55421584
>>55421523

someone needs to put this in an image so that we can repost it every time this conversation comes up.
>>
>>55421359
>It's as if you are trying to argue that the term mammal should not exist because it's not really a term and people should only exclusively refer to mammals by thier species.
>I just got a pet mammal!
>>
>>55421840
These threads should never come up.
>>
>>55421809
there obviously hasn't been deemed a need for it, just like most people don't go around refering to dogs as mammals, that doesn't preclude the necessity of or correctness of the term mammal.
>>
>>55421716
>fans of art music have no problem with "classical" being used in 2 senses

YOU accepted it.
YOU starte having singular generals
YOU started making charts ecompassing it all
YOU are the ones who don't fight back
YOU are the ones who'e alienated yourselves

You only have yourselves to blame.
>>
>>55421858
see
>>55421897

>>55421858
>>I just got a pet mammal!
you are missing the part where the neck bearded autistic replies

>MAMMAL ISN"T A REAL
>>
>>55421897
Thats because you're all too stupid to know the difference between the huge genres because you're too busy calling it ''electronic music'' and only listening to the 10 albums on the essentials or the latest p4k BNM.
>>
>>55421502
>>55421716
Lesson 2:
IDM
>>A loaded term meant to distinguish electronic music of the '90s and later that's equally comfortable on the dancefloor as in the living room, IDM (Intelligent Dance Music) eventually acquired a good deal of negative publicity, not least among the legion of dance producers and fans whose exclusion from the community prompted the question of whether they produced stupid dance music. Born in the late '80s, the sound grew out of a fusion between the hard-edged dance music heard on the main floor at raves and larger club events, and the more downtempo music of the nearby chill-out rooms.
>Sheffield's Warp Records proved home to the best in the sound -- in fact, the seminal Warp compilation Artificial Intelligence alone introduced listeners worldwide to a half-dozen of the style's most crucial artists: Aphex Twin, the Orb, Plastikman, Autechre, Black Dog Productions, and B12. Other labels -- Rising High, GPR, R&S, Rephlex, Fat Cat, Astralwerks -- released quality IDM as well, though by the mid-'90s much of the electronica produced for headphone consumption had diverged either toward the path of more experimentation or more beat orientation
>Despite frequent attempts to rename the style (Warp's "electronic listening music" and Aphex Twin's "braindance" were two choices), IDM continued to be the de facto way for fans to describe their occasionally undescribable favorites.

>>55421775
>By the late 2000s, however, the industry abandoned electronica in favor of EDM.
Good, so it can again be used to include IDM too, as per >>55421502

>>55421802
>elitism
>bad
pleb revealed

>>55421910
OR the art music community just doesn't feel the same insecurity which prompts outrage at any sign of an encompassing term being used. Possibly because the "subgenres" there are actually important enough in their own right to need no self-inflated defence?

>Electronica/Electronic has literally the most self-important fans of any genre on /mu/
>>
>>55421910
it's accepted because it's a logical necessity.

people need a broad term. just like the term mammal is necessary so we know when we are referring to animals without gills and shit.

What you are really complaining about, it that someone is a noob. you are the cantankerous old fool who looks down and shuns people who are newer than they are.

>>55421944
bitch I will remix battle you right fucking now. you pick any sound on youtube and we both make a track using only that sound as a source, no other samples, no other instruments. Then we let the thread decide who is the bitch.
>>
>>55422035
>OR the art music community just doesn't feel the same insecurity

ahahahahaha, yeah, CLT and Ame were so amicable to share the board and never complained or made retarded troll images in spite like >>55421502, oh wait....
>>
>>55422079
Its accepte because there aren't enough fans and the classical fans have alienated themselves from the rest of the board with their undeserved elitism.
>>
>>55422089
this and
>>55421910
>YOU starte having singular generals
>YOU started making charts ecompassing it all

seem to imply that these retards believe that this discourse is something in the vacuum of 4chan and not an issue that was settled years before it's creation.
>>
>>55422035
>Lesson 2:
>>55421738
Simpler version.
>>
>>55422137
>>55422035
>OR the art music community just doesn't feel the same insecurity which prompts outrage at any sign of an encompassing term being used

IDGAF about outside 4chan in this discourse.
>>
>>55422128
see
>>55422137


If you are this upset by people using broad terms then you should go to a more specialized community, like WATMM. Speaking of which, what would you call a community like that? it obviously can't be a forum about electronic music cause that is not a thing. It must be something else.
>>
>>55422188
see
>>55422206
>>
>>55421699
>>55422035
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_dance_music#History

>History
>Ambient techno
A parallel progression occurred in techno music, with artists such as the UK's Aphex Twin and Japan's Tetsu Inoue producing what the press called "ambient techno", combining the melodic & rhythmic elements of dancefloor-oriented techno with elements of ambient and other experimental music.[14] By the early 1990s, the increasingly distinct music associated with this experimentation had gained prominence with releases on a variety of mostly UK-based record labels, including Warp (1989), Black Dog Productions (1989), R&S Records (1989), Carl Craig's Planet E, Rising High Records (1991), Richard James's Rephlex Records (1991), Kirk Degiorgio's Applied Rhythmic Technology (1991), Eevo Lute Muzique (1991), General Production Recordings (1989), Soma Quality Recordings (1991), Peacefrog Records (1991), and Metamorphic Recordings (1992).
>>
>>55422246
>if something evolves from something else it's always the thing it evolved from
>humans are always apes
>>
>>55422206
So according to you now metal, punk, emo, post-punk, Kreatrock and post-rock should be banned from /mu/, only rock generals allowed.

No wait, funk, soul, R&B and the blues, they use guitars too, and reggae.

String music generals for ALL the above.
>>
>>55422294
>implying its changed fundamentally in composition
>>
>>55422295
excuse me where exactly did I say that that stuff shouldn't be allowed? Unlike you I don't go around telling people what genres they are allowed to post on mu
>>
>>55422338
Why are you arguing against
>>55421584
Here
>>55421726
>>
it just kills me that these same retards who got owned in this thread will be back posting the same totalitarian genre propaganda in the next thread.

just once i would like to see a retard learn on here and realize they are an asshat.
>>
>>55422079
>What you are really complaining about, it that someone is a noob. you are the cantankerous old fool who looks down and shuns people who are newer than they are.
That would assume that there is always good reason to explore every micro or subgenre. I don't think it's narrow-minded to say that, say, crunkcore is musically and artistically worthless. Ergo, I see no basis for assuming that all musical genres contain value merely by virtue of being musical genres, let alone assuming that they all contain equal value. No basis at all for such an assumption.

Therefore someone used to listening to only masterworks from decades and centuries prior to ours would hardly be a "noob" for only wanting to hear the best out of electronica as a whole (decades old dance culture)

>>55422089
Are you really this obtuse? The fact that tactics like theirs still trigger EDMplebs today is merely even more evidence for the insecurity point.
>complaining about lack of amicability on 4chan

>>55422188
/classical/ doesn't care about people using "classical" to mean western art music. unlike the triggered plebs ITT

>>55422295
1. reading comprehension
2. most of those are way more critically relevant than electronica subs
>>
>>55422480
inorite

House
Disco
Trance
Techno
Hardcore
Industrial
Downtempo
Hip hop
Garage
Breaks
Avant-garde or Electro-acoustic

singular threads are so much better then one covering all of it
>>
>>55419413
Try James Ferraro
Fatboy Slim
Tycho
Squarepusher
Royksopp
Recondite
Bjork
Nightmares on Wax
Daft Punk
Grimes
Vitalic
Com Truise
>>
>>55422507
>singular threads are so much better then one covering all of it
see first reply >>55422503
>>
>>55419413
>>55419413
Stockhausen
Schaeffer
Miley Cyrus
Ariana Grande
Death Grips
Kanye West
Underworld
Goldie
Ripatti
Ferrari
Xenakis
Tyler
Earl
>>
>>
>>55421612

wasn't expecting such a comprehensive list - I'll even admit that I love the sounds of analog and modular synths. but the problem still stands of having a collection of interesting, great-sounding tools that I feel don't actually constitute a genre or style of music unto itself until it piggybacks itself onto another genre.

it feels like there's nothing that justifies "electronic music" as such by itself. they're all just a toolbox of interesting choices a savvy producer or artist can choose to deploy to make their music stronger - not the be-all and end-all for any genre. I know we have the term "guitar music" on /mu/, but realistically, even "pure acoustic guitar music" like John Fahey has been adapted from other genres: blues, folk, classical insofar as he puts it all together

what can we say about "pure electronic" music? there's electronic as dance music, ambient music, even as classical music from wendy carlos' moog-Bach excursions. but who cares about electronic music as such? people who are searching for new tools and formats for that we created these new sounds, tools and techniques to make their music - whatever that happens to be

do I care if paint manufacturers develop incredible advances that make it easier than ever before to produce newer, brighter colours far more cheaply than ever before? no - I care if someone can make use of them in a way that communicates with me effectively. that's art. I don't care about technology in art, except insofar as it's used to make art better, more powerful, more effective. technology by itself isn't art.
>>
>>55422557
>classical fans aren't pretentious asshats

Way to prove your own arguments wrong.
>>
>>55422599
>wasn't expecting such a comprehensive list - I'll even admit that I love the sounds of analog and modular synths. but the problem still stands of having a collection of interesting, great-sounding tools that I feel don't actually constitute a genre or style of music unto itself until it piggybacks itself onto another genre.

Exactly. rock and classical fans will defend their sub, sub, sub, subgenres (or lack of interest in their favourite music) all day long though.

Its sad really. Still, these threads are far more fun than anything else on /mu/ these days.
>>
>>55422472
get some reading comprehension. no where does my post even remotely imply this
>>55422295


>>55422507
>singular threads are so much better then one covering all of it
if you think that then fine, go start a singular thread. there is no reason to come into this thread and claim that these threads are illegitimate, because they are not. This thread was supposed to be about mammals. If you want a thread about YOUR favorite mammal, then make it, but don't barge in here claiming that mammals aren't real.
>>
>>55422661
>so you are still a retard.
>>
>>55422661
I never said mammals aren't real.

I said having a thread about ALL mammals in ONE thread when there is so little to time them together is retarded.
>>
>>55422708
*tie them together

Would you have a thread about all music genres where the instruments have strings, and actually expect it to cover all the stringed instrument genres in more depth than 2 or 3 artists for each?
>>
>>55422687
You are the one arguing that mammals aren't real in the metaphor. That makes you the retard.

>>55422708
>>55422708
>I never said mammals aren't real.
the very first image that started this arugment explicity says MAMMALS ARE NOT A GENRE. That is what this whole arguement was about until you guys lost it and then started making it about the kind of threads that shouls or should not be allowed on 4chan like an autistic wannabe hall monitor.

>>55419563
read those words:
MAMMALS ARE NOT A GENRE
>>
>>55422791
fuck your dumb metaphor

electronic music is a means of production, not a genre

techno is a genre
musique concrete is a genre

like

rock is a genre
r&b is a genre
>>
>>55422741
not all people need more than 2 or the 3 artists from each. people have different needs and interests. some people don't have time for ambient post tech dj 5/9 fucking music cause they are busy getting laid.
>>
>>55422842
why the fuck come to a music board, turn on the radio
>>
>>55422842
>some people
you mean people not on /mu/
>>
>>55422842
True.

Pop/rock only produced about 15 worthwhile albums despite the hundreds of meaningless subgenres like post-punk, math rock and thrash metal.
>>
>>55422820

OHHH HEEREE WE GO

>>55422820
>fuck your dumb metaphor
fuck you proving me wrong, my ignorance will make us travel back in time.

>>55422820
>electronic music is a means of production, not a genre
then why are you talking about genre at all in this thread?
>>
>>55422708
>>55422741
It's more like a biology board where everyone talks about complex life and then the mushroom fags (EDMplebs) get mad that people aren't talking about individual fungi even though it's not particularly complex compared to humans or ants.
>>
>>55422924
>proving me wrong

Where?

Electronic music is not a genre and never, ever will be.

>then why are you talking about genre at all in this thread?

Because starting a thread about a production method covering 3/4 of modern music is retarded and any of the 11 main genres would fill a hundred 300+ post threads alone.
>>
>>55422820
>electronic music is a means of production, not a genre
>>55422708
>I never said mammals aren't real.


we have returned to this:
>>55421523
>considering you can't seem to do anything but say over and over again the same baseless assertion without any logical argument to explain it's necessity, I would say you are the one who's argument has fallen flat.

and this
>>55421523
>The fact remains that a broad term is necessary, just like the terms pop or rock can refer to a multitude of genres.
>You have rejected the terms 'electronic music' and 'electronica' so what term do you suggest?

>>55422708
>I said having a thread about ALL mammals in ONE thread when there is so little to time them together is retarded.

you lost this shit so bad
fuck you are fucking funny at this point
>>
>>55422977
electronic music != EDM

Stockhausen, Eno and Kanye are my favourite EDM producers xD
>>
>>55419563
I use it as the umbrella genre. For example I'd tag Massive Attack as "Electronic; Trip-Hop" for further clarification. I do the same with Rock music
>>
>electronic is a production method
Wow, learn to read. It's also synonymous with electronica. Which we defined earlier. The latter meaning is the only one being used except by insecure EDMplebs.
>>
>>55423020
Except it would be equal to string music including Vivaldi, Ravi Shankar, all rock, metal, punk, reggae, soul, funk, blues, folk and r&b.
>>
>>55423029
>It's also synonymous with electronica

No it isn't.
>>
>>55423039
read post above urs
>>
>>55423029
exactly, what is twice as stupid is that the only reason we can't use the term electronica is because madonna once made it uncool for producers so the rejected it cause it was new and uncool, even though it makes more sense than 'electronic music'
>>
>>55422997
I've said this all along
>>55419563

You're just clutching at straws now you've lost
>>
>>55423029
>>55423058
[citation needed]
>>
>>55423074
I actually agree electronica is better than electronic music.

>Electronic music
EVERYTHING ever made with electronic instruments

>Electronica
Dance music, downtempo and hip hop

Still retarded on a music board to have such wide reaching threads.
>>
>>55423056
>>55423102
>No it isn't.
http://www.allmusic.com/genre/electronic-ma0000002572
OP
/mu/
RA
etc
>>
>>55423159
>allmusic
>American corporate website run by Rovi

>/mu/
>as prove of anything

>RA
>ever mention ''electronica''
>>
>>55419636
>glad im not the only one who liked timeless
there is so much retard within you, do you sometimes not know what to do with it all?
>>
>>55423039
Except "string music" isn't a commonly used term to describe 'all rock, metal, punk, reggae, soul, funk, blues, folk and r&b'. If someone asked what string music you have and you showed him some Bob Marley he'd think you are a twat.

On the other hand, if someone asked for electronic music and you showed him any of the more proper genre terms, they would be fine. If they are the type of listener who gets upset with the electronic tag as a genre, then they won't ask for electronic music to listen to.

Genres are used to describe a certain musical sound. There are varying levels of description, the more broad hardly really a descriptor (Rock, Electronic) and the more specific actually has meaning descriptor (IDM, Crust Punk). I want to use both levels for my library because I think there is merit to it. If you don't, that's fine too. But until using the genre 'Electronic' is refused as a genre (which it won't be by the vast majority of listeners) it still has value as a tag.
>>
>>55423076
what straws?

you are clutching at straws because you fail to disprove the necessity of and existence of the terms electronic music or electronica as genres, even though you can read them right on the damn wikipedia page.

You really think that those genre terms are superfluous? look at this page right at the bottom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica

that right there is all the proof you need. And no you retard, it's not because Wikipedia is an infallible source of knowledge, it's because it shows that people feel the need to organize music genres into broad categories, that someone took all you fucking micro-genres and put them under a large heading, because some times you need to categorize things in broad ways. that's just how fucking things are and that's why the term electronica and 'electronic music' exist.

If you have a problem with those terms, then you need to provide an equivalent term, you cannot just insist that people use a specific microgenre, because the broad term is still needed.

It this were a general discussion about humanities and someone said the like 'music' you would look like an idiot if you came in saying ''music' isn't a thing and they have to be specific, because the fact remains that the broader term serves a purpose. In this case we know that the person saying music isn't referring to literature.

In the case of 'electronic music' there are certain kinds of music that are most definitely not being referred to, like straight bluegrass.

Yes, this is simplistic, yes this is unnecessary, but this is the only level of explanation I can think to give to a retard who says mammal is not a genre.

You must prove the negative, that electronic music is not a genre. Pointing to the existence of subgenres does not prove that, it only proves that those subgenres exist.

YOU ARE A MORON. GET OVER YOURSELF.
>>
>>55423339
>Except "string music" isn't a commonly used term t
Who cares?

>On the other hand, if someone asked for electronic music and you showed him any of the more proper genre terms, they would be fine.
Yeah sure, for reddit, 3 albums for each genre that would be fine, then they'd circlejerk over only them forever more, oh wait...

>Genres are used to describe a certain musical sound
They are for categorisation on any premise or reason you want

>But until using the genre 'Electronic' is refused as a genre (which it won't be by the vast majority of listeners) it still has value as a tag.
Sure, EVERYTHING produced electronically, ever. If thats how you want to organise your library, go ahead, it makes for shit music discussion threads though.
>>
the fact that all genres are made up and that there exists inforgraphics made by retards to argue that electronic music is not a genre shows that enough people refer to electronic music as a genre that it is in fact a genre.
>>
>ambient has its own threads
>industrial has its own threads
>hip hop has its own threads
>musique concrete has its own threads
>dance music has its own threads
>downtempo has its own threads

Sure, techno, house, breaks and trance could, all massive genres but they're all covered already, not sure why you'd have electronic music generals though?
>>
>>55423127
>EVERYTHING ever made with electronic instruments
Rarely used in this sense because it is way over encompassing and crosses existing boundaries (like art and popular). Therefore everyone but EDMplebs default to the electronica sense.

>>55423127
>Still retarded on a music board to have such wide reaching threads.
Not really. Popular music needs to be more compacted if anything on /mu/. So EDMplebs are contributing to the real problem. The entirety of folk and classical is usually contained to one thread. And unlike EDM those have way more critical relevance, history, etc. Again, the fans of these genres don't even complain, probably because they feel like a haven within the wider board, complete opposite of self-importance electronica plebs.
>>
>>55423374
lol tl;dr
>>
>>55423508
>Rarely used in this sense

OP did, every thread is that uses that in the subject, its the English language whether you want to pretend otherwise or not.
>>
>>55423433
Even this simplicity refutes their bawwing.

I can't actually tell whether they're trolling or truly this pleb.
>>
>>55423508
>ot really. Popular music needs to be more compacted if anything on /mu/. So EDMplebs are contributing to the real problem. The entirety of folk and classical is usually contained to one thread. And unlike EDM those have way more critical relevance, history, etc. Again, the fans of these genres don't even complain, probably because they feel like a haven within the wider board, complete opposite of self-importance electronica plebs.

electronic music != EDM

Stockhausen, Eno and Kanye West are my favourite EDM producers.
>>
>>55423374
>you are clutching at straws because you fail to disprove the necessity of and existence of the terms electronic music as genres

Done. Right there.

>Electronic music is music that employs electronic musical instruments and electronic music technology in its production

The first line. Your whole argument, dead, gone, finished, lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music
>>
File: sadcumbb.jpg (22KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
sadcumbb.jpg
22KB, 1920x1080px
>>55423412
>it makes for shit music discussion threads though.
no it doesn't. youre petty retarded complaining about it does.

this thread could have been about anything in the genre, it could have organically narrowed down to specifics through civilized discussion, even being flexible enough to incorporate whatever genres posters happen to like as their own favorites in a way that could not happen in a more specific thread.

If you were talking to someone outside 4chan and they said they have an interest in electronic music, you wouldn't start barking at them that that's not a genre and pulling out charts you were autistic enough to make to explain it to him. If you did the conversation would go no where and you would look retarded.

Instead, you would just have a little bit of courtesy and patience and talk to them, ask them what they have heard, and talk about what you have heard and what you are into.If you did that it would probably be not even half the effort of trying to argue with them about inconsequential syntax, and you might actually make friend and have a pleasant discussion.

But I can see that these people would much rather do the former anyway, because they don't actually care about music. If they did they would just be glad to have someone showing an interest in music they enjoy and talk about it. Instead these are just vindictive petty people who would rather do whatever they can to belittle people, even if it means the have to pretend mammals are not a genre, just so they can hatefully masturbate themselves.

Are you happy yet? You feel less empty yet? You feel fulfilled? Are you almost there?
Good.

Have

a

sad

cum

bb
>>
File: lol.png (65KB, 1239x885px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
lol.png
65KB, 1239x885px
>>55423547
The best bit is I only really listen to jazz, I just like genre argument threads and argue both sides because the rest of the board is shite.
>>
>>55423412
>Who cares?
People discussing music. I'm not going to ask for 'drum music'. I might ask for music with good drums on it, but that's a different statement

>Yeah sure, for reddit, 3 albums for each genre that would be fine, then they'd circlejerk over only them forever more, oh wait...
I think you skips the second half of my point on that one.

>They are for categorisation on any premise or reason you want
Yes, they are. However metadata lets us make arbitrary descriptors of music, so we can organize by year, composer, where it was recorded, number of farts audible in the track. Genre is at least some form of describing the sound, but sometimes it isn't very precise.

>Sure, EVERYTHING produced electronically, ever. If thats how you want to organise your library, go ahead, it makes for shit music discussion threads though.
Discussion threads that ask for electronic music merit the wide range of selection. IDM threads are narrowed down.

They are just different filters man, Electronic is just very broad. If you want to talk about House music, don't start an electronic music thread or discussion.
>>
>>55423664
>no it doesn'
Yes it does.

>this thread could have been about anything in the genre, it could have organically narrowed down to specifics through civilized discussion, even being flexible enough to incorporate whatever genres posters happen to like as their own favorites in a way that could not happen in a more specific thread.
It would have been the same 20 albums posted daily.

>If you were talking to someone outside 4chan
>Instead, you would just have a little bit of courtesy
>But I can see that these people would much rather do the former anyway
>Are you happy yet? You feel less empty yet? You feel fulfilled? Are you almost there?
I'm not outside, irrelevant.

>Have

>a

>sad

>cum

>bb

I've spent all this time talking to an underage memerap electronica kid? kek, no wonder you're so stupid.
>>
>>55423676
>I'm not going to ask for 'drum music'.
But you'd ask for electronic music?
Oh the irony

>I think you skips the second half of my point on that one.
No

>Yes, they are. However metadata lets us make arbitrary descriptors of music
That could again, be anything at all, whatsoever

>Discussion threads that ask for electronic music merit the wide range of selection. IDM threads are narrowed down.
All electronic music, all the same

>They are just different filters man, Electronic is just very broad.
huge

> If you want to talk about House music, don't start an electronic music thread or discussion.
That was my entire point.
>>
>>55423542
>OP did
all those are electronica artists. so we assume he meant that more common sense.
>>
>>55423559
That doesn't address the point, electronica fans are clearly overreacting and by their own logic making the situation worse through their narrow insight.
>>
>>55423792
He wanted to get ''deeper'' into electronic music which implies he wanted to get past what he usually listens to so that means he was asking for all ''electronic music'' which is everything produced electronically, ever.
>>
>>55423827
This is about electronic music (all music produced electronically, ever), not electronica (dance music, downtempo and hip hop).
>>
>>55423729
>It would have been the same 20 albums posted daily.
If that were true it would not a problem, smart people don't visit mu everyday to begin with.


>>55423778
>I'm not going to ask for 'drum music'.
why not? I have seen an made threads asking for that and they have all worked out completely well


What all you retards have failed to do is tell us what term should replace 'electronica' or 'electronic music'

There absolutely is indisputably a necessity for a broad term. What term should it be? If I go to wikipedia to to music, that word am I supposed to see in between techno and music?
>>
>>55423905
>why not? I have seen an made threads asking for that and they have all worked out completely well

So thats tribal music, folk, blues, R7B, soul, funk, rock, metal, punk, pop... all in one thread because of the drummer?

You think that makes sense?
>>
>>55423905
>There absolutely is indisputably a necessity for a broad term.

No there isn't. There is absolutely NO reason why it should be that way.
>>
>>55423831
>He wanted to get ''deeper'' into electronic[a] music which implies he wanted to get past what he usually listens to
>so that means he was asking for all ''electronic music'' which is everything produced electronically, ever.
Nah, he just wanted to delve deeper into electronica.

>>55423852
Considering that in the OP he listed specifically electronica artists instead of any other genres using electronic instruments.. we would assume top40, indie, classical, jazz, etc were not intended.
>>
>>55423905
>If I go to wikipedia to to music, that word am I supposed to see in between techno and music?

What?

Techno, its a genre with lots of substyles and hundreds of amazing artists ranging from minimal to ambient, harcore to fusion, its a large 30 year genre that has no umbrella, nor does it need one.
>>
>>55424095
>Nah, he just wanted to delve deeper into electronica.

No, he specifically said electronic music.

>>55424095
>Considering that in the OP he listed specifically electronica artists instead of any other genres using electronic instruments.. we would assume top40, indie, classical, jazz, etc were not intended.

No, considering he said he wanted to get ''deeper''.. we would assume top40, indie, classical, jazz, etc were defintely intended.
>>
>>55423778
>>55423778
>But you'd ask for electronic music?
>Oh the irony
I wouldn't ask for electronic music. I could give realistic recommendations for the request, as opposed to your understanding of string music to the layman. That's the difference.

>No
Yes

>All electronic music, all the same
I'm not sure if you're acting out the fool who thinks all electronic music is the same, or claiming those threads only talk about the same music (as you have claimed in other posts). In either case, those discussions aren't for the adept listener, but for someone who is trying to explore electronic music more (Like this thread's OP). If you are tuned to the nuances of Synthpop and Electropop then either don't join those threads or help out by recommending something besides those three albums you are tired of being spammed.

>huge
But still practical for a music novice.

>That was my entire point.
You know that this thread doesn't hinder other threads right? You can have both.
>>
>>55424141
>I wouldn't ask for electronic music.
good, both would be so wide and far reaching it would be impossible to know where to even begin.
Thread posts: 160
Thread images: 17


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.