[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Pretending" to like music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: homepage_large.ce7d426b.jpg (143KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.ce7d426b.jpg
143KB, 319x319px
People accuse others of doing this often, but does anyone ACTUALLY do this?

Like, to an extent, sure—I probably overestimate TPAB because of other people's opinions, and cognitive dissonance/wanting to be accepted by social groups occur. To an extent.

But, like, if I can't get into Merzbow, or something (which I can't), I'm not going to pretend to like something I flat-out just don't get.
>>
I like that album.

How do you know whether I'm pretending? I could be, I could not be. Hard when lots of people say it.
>>
>>55355134
Oh, I don't think Merzbow fans "pretend" to like the music. It's just that "pretending" is an accusation I've heard for a variety of genres/artists that I wonder whether it's just an inane argument, or whether there's something more to that.
>>
Merzbow is shite. I still like to play it at parties though to piss people off.
>>
You sound like a teenager who lives in shit small town where all the kids are swag fags or scene fags. lol.
>>
>wanting to be accepted by social groups
if your social groups don't listen to noise then you live in retard town.
>>
>>55355267
I live in NYC, actually.

Unless you're talking about /mu/. I never see people accusing others of pretending to like music in real life, only just online, mainly here.
>>
>>55355071
thats the trippiest version of the pulse demon cover ive seen
>>
>>55355071
>people would be extreme masochists to pretend to like noise
>yfw masochists exists indeed
you got your answers. musical bdsm.
>>
I sometimes pretend to like stuff my friend likes only not to be that guy that hates everything
>>
>>55356200
>that hates everything
But certainly there must be stuff you do like, or you won't be on /mu/ in the first place?
>>
>>55355071
I think a lot of people on here pretend to NOT like music

Death grips for example has been reduced to "meme grips" by everyone in a desperate attempt to fit in on a fucking internet imageboard

pathetic really
>>
>>55355071
>listened to recommended album
>dont get it
>claim others don't get it too
>call them out for being pretentious and fake
this is not what's happening, don't blame others because you can't enjoy something.
>>
>>55356237
I usually like music, it's just that we have different tastes
I do disagree with mu most of the times tho
For example I dislike most post punk and lo fi music
>>
is "Merzbow is shit" a meme? i keep seeing these threads made daily now
>>
>>55356333
well its not music thats for sure
>>
>>55356439
nice meme!
>>
>>55356333
Noise music exists since the 20's and people bitch about it to this day
>>
What is there to "get" with Merzbow? I don't think it's "art music," in the sense that it's not written down and performed, in fact his style is the opposite, favoring improvisation. There's certainly some music that requires context (field recordings, possibly aleatoric music as well) but I never thought there was much the average listener needed to know about Merzbow to more fully appreciate it: you either like it or you don't. If you don't like it, it shouldn't and doesn't mean anything, just like if you don't like Kanye West, it really doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>55356307
>Misunderstanding the OP

Nothing in the OP post indicates that he thinks Merzbow fans are fake. He's just asking whether anyone actually does pretend to like something they really don't. If he DID think there were fake fans, would he ask the question in the first place?

Unless you're just really responding with
>this is not what's happening
in which case, who is
>don't blame others because you can't enjoy something.
directed to? Because there's no blaming going on.
>>
>>55356504
Just because its old doesnt mean its good
>>
>>55356626
People should have understood the concept by now
People should know how Merzbow didn't invent noise nor is a new thing from people with no creativity
People who say it's not music have 0 understatement of what noise is
>>
File: Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg (66KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg
66KB, 300x300px
>>55355071
That album was a pretty good ride while walking.I got it and I liked it

But pic related is just boring and underwhelming
>>
>>55356759
god YES thank you

literally cannot understand why this gets so much praise around here

but i guess it makes sense that both slint and this board are edgy teens
>>
>>55355071
I pretend to like all prog even though I don't compeltely love it becuse I'm a fanboy for the genre, especially Zeuhl and some Italian prog
>>
>>55356759
>>55356818
>mfw I loved it on first 2 listens long before I came here
I don't know
>>
>>55356879
The best I can say about Spiderland is that it's comfy.The first song's instrumentals are pretty nice.
But I listened to the whole thing straight while paying attention to the lyrics and overall it was just overwhelming.
>>
>>55356928
*underwhelming
>>
File: Music for Bondage Performance.jpg (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Music for Bondage Performance.jpg
28KB, 400x400px
>>55356135
No surprise that the Japanese noise scene is highly involved with BDSM. Pic related is one of Merzbow's best albums.
>>
>>55355071
Same here. I really don't think it's as common as /mu/tants claim it is.

Maybe it's just a case of
> I don't like X
> therefore I don't see what anyone could like in X
> therefore anyone who likes X is only pretending
or something like it. Egocentrism, basically. Considering yourself as the one and only true evaluator of the world makes sense, but it can be a terrible way of thinking when you're confronted with others. And people can be surprisingly stubborn and intolerant like that when it comes to tastes and personal preferences, not just about music but also about food, sex, movies, anything... Try telling people you don't like Star Wars or pizza and see them instantly turn into assholes. This kind of behaviour is even encouraged here.

>>55356254
>I think a lot of people on here pretend to NOT like music
This I can believe.

>>55356759
A bit off-topic, but this one took me a while to get into. And I don't mean in a "after trying to like it for fifty listens, I got used to it and it slowly grew on me" kind of way — I had known the album for years and always found it kinda interesting, nothing more. Then one day I found myself in a weird sad mood, wanting to listen to it again, and when I did I suddenly loved it. It was completely unexpected. Been loving it since.
>>
>>55357400
>grew on me
Any album can grow on a person if you pay attention to it often enough
>>
>>55355071
Oh yeah, I pretend to like thing more than I do, but more to smooth over social situations and not so seem like I have superior taste.
I generally want to hide my power level with regard to music, unless I know the person I'm talking to is into it.
And it's not really difficult to me, because most of the stuff I don't like just doesn't interest me, I don't really feel actively repulsed by it. So I can pretend to like a Kanye song, when I really just have no particular interest in hearing it.
>>
>>55357518
I don't see this as a bad thing. I like to like stuff.
>>
>>55357547
fuck no. some things are horrible to like. Like catchy simple music that gives you immediate gratification. Some of that type of music gives me the kick but I don't want others to know that I listen to it or listen to it as often as I do.
>>
I pretend to like metal especially the older stuff, for the most part, when I'm with my friends. I've been perpetuating this charade for almost a decade. Case in point, if you asked me in front of them if I enjoyed Black Sabbath and what my favorite song is, then I'd tell you "yeah, fucker, Sweet Leaf." However, I kind of hate Sabbath.
I even keep various metal albums on my iPod to placate my friends' tastes. When I'm alone, I skip through all that shit.
>>
>>55357654
You don't like music then
No I'm not saying that you don't like music because you don't like catchy music I'm saying you don't like music because you care about how people see your taste
Here's a tip: Nobody cares about your taste, stop being so insecure
>>
FUCK OFF /v/
>>
>>55357667
>I've been perpetuating this charade for almost a decade
holy shit wow that's nuts

>>55357725
>you don't like music because you care about how people see your taste
Liking music and caring about others' perceptions of you aren't mutually exclusive, you know.
>>
>>55357945
It is, mane
Sorry to break news for you
I know it's hard but you should move on to other interests
Oh no wait you have no capacity to think for yourself right
You keep listening to music your group likes
Have fun having no taste nor personality
People like you disgust me
>>
>>55357945
>wow that's nuts
Yeah, but don't get me wrong, I have no qualms with bringing up my weirdo bands that they can't get into; however, I want my friends to feel like they can relate to me, musically at least.

I happily scream vocals to their various musical endeavors.
>>
I just made this post in another thread, but:

>people come here from /b/ because they "like music" and start listening to Kanye, Grips, ITAOTS, whatever else is popular on /mu/
>this somehow makes them better than people who "like music" and listen to top40 radio, even though they haven't really done any exploring themselves and have jumped from one stream of music opinion to another

I'm no great patrician myself, but I actually are people out there who have limited appreciation of music, almost naturally. As long as it has melody and harmony, it sounds good enough for them to associate with. Maybe it's a good thing to be like that.
>>
>>55358026
That wasn't me, dude.

Also, you don't seem to understand the concept of liking something and not admitting to it.
Good job being idiotically butthurt, though.
>>
>>55357725
It's not just other people. I want to impress myself as well (as awkward as this sounds.) There's an inner drive to improve my taste and I feel down at times when I'm so emotionally unintelligent that I can only listen to instant gratification music
>>
>>55358233
I know that feel, we all should.
>>
File: 3B2Injq[1].png (630KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
3B2Injq[1].png
630KB, 600x600px
>>55357359
>one of Merzbow's best albums.
hah no it sucks pic related is where it's at
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.