[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IDM/bleep-bloops + Instrumental Virtuosity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 5256.jpg (147KB, 450x323px) Image search: [Google]
5256.jpg
147KB, 450x323px
So I really enjoy guys like Aphex, Squarepusher, FlyLo, Prefuse 73, J Dilla, Venetian Snares, World's End Girlfriend, etc…

But for the most part, other than Flying Lotus (who works with Thundercat) and Squarepusher (who's a virtuoso bassist), most of these kinds of artists don't have instrumental virtuosity in their work. Like, guitar shredding stuff, or super technical playing with a physical instrument, in general (since most of them, as far as I can tell, are music producers first and foremost, and don't play any instrument to a highly advanced degree).

Can you guys recommend any other artists who would fall into this (kind of broad) sound? Like, people who take both technical skill with a physical instrument as well as bleep-bloop stuff seriously.

And I don't mean sampling (like Amon Tobin sampling jazz stuff for Bricolage), either. I mean artists that use electronic sounds along with great instrumental playing that was recorded specifically for that record.

Honestly, in an even broader sense, people like Pink Floyd would count, I guess, though they're by no means guitar shredders or anything.

So, recommendations for these kinds of artists/albums?
>>
>>55354231
Are the saxophone lines in WEG's work played by him and not sampled? I'm not sure…
>>
Kaya Project? Ozric Tentacles maybe?
>>
Battles - mirrored
White suns - sinews/totem
Liturgy - the ark work (this is an honourable failure)
Ben frost had some good features on his most recent album
>>
Obligatory Death Grips

Zach plays the drums well, but the instrumentals are based on flatlander's synth work. Though I'm sure everyone on here knows about them, so it doesn't really help, does it?
>>
>>55354306
>Battles - mirrored
How is Battles an electronic band to any large degree? Sure, they're on Warp, but they don't sound that electronic.
>>
>>55354306
Other than the Ben Frost rec, everything else is just rock stuff without the bleep-bloop stuff.

Aurora is a good call, though. Gonna check it out!
>>
>>55354283
>Ozric Tentacles
I guess that kind of fits, doesn't it? Though they sound like they're more tied to the rock stuff than the electronic parts.
>>
music is rotted one note
>>
>>55354231
>music is rotted one note
>other than Flying Lotus (who works with Thundercat) and Squarepusher (who's a virtuoso bassist)
>recommend any other artists
>>
>>55354566
meant to tag you whoops

>>55354598
>>
>>55354566
but yeah, sure, something like that
>>
>>55354231
Nick Reinhart of Tera Melos probably, he cites Squarepusher as an influence and gets very similar sort of glitchy sounds out of all his pedals, as well being a really good guitar player.
>>
>>55354857
>Tera Melos
Sure, but…

perhaps including Pink Floyd was a bad idea. I really only let them in because On The Run was basically one long arp line.

I mean more producer-led/oriented projects that have maybe an instrument or two that's virtuoso stuff, as opposed to bands that emulate bleep bloops with guitars or whatever. Though other than that, the recs so far are all good music, just not exactly what I have in mind.
>>
>>55354989
Closest thing I can think of right now is Eno's collabs with Fripp and Jon Hassell, though both kinda hold back on really technical playing or obvious bleeps.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.