[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bands in which the main songwriter has the real talent and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

File: Fleet-Foxes_News_600.jpg (409KB, 750x658px) Image search: [Google]
Fleet-Foxes_News_600.jpg
409KB, 750x658px
Bands in which the main songwriter has the real talent and the other members are just there for the ride.
>>
I'd say Kasabian but everyone hates Kasabian
Sergio is the only one who writes everything
>>
In Syd Barrett era definitely
I know Waters did a song for the album, but it was very influenced by Syd, and hadn't 'matured' yet.
The mono version of 'Take up thy stethoscope and walk" is sooo much better than the stereo, it sounds like an actual band playing together
>>
>>55213968
*syd barrett era Floyd
>>
File: The_Beach_Boys_(1965).png (868KB, 1194x933px) Image search: [Google]
The_Beach_Boys_(1965).png
868KB, 1194x933px
>>55213815
Though Carl didn't do too bad for himself as a writer and they all had lovely voices when Brian could direct them.
>>
kek
>>
>>55214043
This is pretty indisputable but having Meg there as this shitty punk drummer did help define them.
>>
>>55213968
This
Neil Young and Crazyhorse
I would say Tom Fec as well but I don't know what the other people in BMSR do
>>
>>55214043
do you really use internet explorer?
>>
every band ever
>>
>>55213815
modest mouse
built to spill
destroyer
sunset rubdown
the shins
dinosaur jr
deerhunter
>>
Say anything
>>
>>55213815
I've just been listening to The Divine Comedy and they fit that description perfectly
>>
>>55214077
stop trying to generalize with statements that are so far from true.
>>
>>55214094
What a sub par list of indie rock and pop-punk bands.
>>
>>55213815
Eh, the others aren't too shabby. Most of them formed their own band that's on Sub Pop, and of course J Tillman has just been on his 4 year long peyote trip or whatever the fuck.

Though I bet the next Fleet Foxes album will just be a Pecknold solo effort for the most part, which I really wouldn't mind at all.
>>
The Mountain Goats
>>
>>55214158
>pop-punk
>>
File: Mark Hollis.png (150KB, 450x381px) Image search: [Google]
Mark Hollis.png
150KB, 450x381px
>>55213815
This faggot and the people he wanted to call Talk Talk at the moment.
>>
>>55214174
Tillman has said in interviews that he had very little influence / say in the sound of the band
Can't speak to the rest of them though
>>
>>55214174
Tillman's Father John Misty output has been better than anything Fleet Foxes ever did and i hope he doesnt go back to that band
>>
>>55214441
Holy shit no
Father John Misty relies so much on the 'ironic meets new-sincerity commentary' shit that the music he pairs it with suffers

Fleet Foxes are miles ahead of FJM, and this is coming from a fan of both
>>
>>55214441
no no no no

He's great in his own right, but Pecknold is on a whole other level as a songwriter.
>>
>>55214471
fleet foxes are boring watered down "indie folk" for the masses. misty says what he wants and doesn't give a shit what anybody thinks. the "new-sincerity commentary" is his personality. watch any interview with him, he does not give a fuck.
>>
>>55214043
>internet explorer
nigga are you for real
>>
The strokes
Nine inch nails
Eagles of death metal
>>
>>55214499
>boring watered down indie folk for the masses
Have you heard the actual boring watered down indie folk for the masses? The Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, of Monsters and Men... Those acts are what you're talking about. Have you listened to Helplessness Blues? Pecknold incorporates unique song structures, a huge range of instrumentation (including free jazz sax) and vivid storytelling. Imo.

FJM's personality might be authentic, but his lyrics seem tailored towards people who want to get a rush from feeling smart by understanding what he's getting at. He's the Childish Gambino of indie folk
>>
>>55214499
When Tillman constructs a melody as wonderful as on Montezuma or a song as heartbreakingly intimate as Blue Spotted Tail, or something as large in scale and epic as The Shrine/An Argument then you can talk.

Using the whole hurr indie folk is bland is such a lazy non argument that's just a reflection of your own taste rather than an actual analysis of the music.
>>
>>55214557
>The Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, of Monsters and Men
those bands are direct consequences of fleet foxes
>>
>>55213997
Dennis is GOAT as well
>>
>>55214557
>The Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, of Monsters and Men

and fleet foxes, grizzly bear, iron and wine, bright eyes, etc

every 15 year old girl likes these bands
>>
>>55213815
fleet foxes drummer is pretty cool though
>>
>>55214575
>Heartbreaking as blue spotted tail
I went to the store one day
>Epic as The Shrine/Arg
Ideal Husband
Fleet Foxes got the melody though
>>
>>55214583
>those bands are direct consequences of Fleet Foxes
That isn't a commentary on Fleet Foxes themselves, just their influence. You can't blame them for inspiring shittier music. By that logic you can blame the Beatles / Beach Boys / TVU for any band you don't like ever

>>55214598
You're lumping all these bands together for nearly no discernible reason, I doubt you've really given Fleet Foxes / Grizzly Bear a listen if you're saying they sound similar to Lumineers etc
>>
>>55214583
Eh more Bon Iver, as Mumford has strictly said Justin is one of his favorite artists
>>
>>55214583
Yeah and The Jonas Brothers and One Direction are direct consequences of The Beatles. That doesn't make The Beatles any less great.

>>55214598
You're kidding yourself if you think those two groups of bands are on the same level
(I don't care for grizzly bear though). And who cares if 15 year old girls like them too. Stop letting other people ruin music for you, that's so fucking petty.
>>
>>55214598
Nigga Iron and Wine more talented than any of those bands
Just listen to the shepherds dog.
>>
>>55214158
There's not one pop punk band on that list dumbass
>>
>>55214654
>I went to the store one day
Close, but no. Tillman is too scared to actually be sincere with anything, so he has to throw his annoying little ironic statements to show he's above it all ("insert here a sentiment re our golden years"). In that context it just weakens the song, and that's coming from someone who loves that song and album, but it still doesn't hit the same emotional notes as Blue Spotted Tail.

>Ideal Husband
Ideal Husband is a nice little garage rock song. Not the prog-folk masterpiece that is The Shrine with it's multiple movements and lush instrumentation. C'mon I don't even think you were trying with that comparison.
>>
>>55214094
I disagree on modest mouse, Jeremiah Green and Eric Judy are good musicians.
>>
>>55214799
>Tillman is too scared to actually be sincere with anything
nigga u serious? u listened to i love you honeybear?
>>
>>55214799
Yeah you are right, i was just trying to rub ya
Fleets Foxes got that Beach Boys type of songwriting, dynamic, clean and abstract
Misty is just Jim Morrison doing folk
>>
Antony and the Johnsons
>>
>>55213815
Crystal castles
>>
>>55214852
>Fleets Foxes got that Beach Boys type of songwriting, dynamic, clean and abstract
That is a great way to describe it anon, well put
>>
>>55214094
>deerhunter
but lockett is literally the goat songwriter of that band. Agoraphobia, desire lines, neither of us uncertainly are all written by him. Not to mention nothing ever happened was written by the drummer and the bassist and is one of their best songs.
>>
>>55214932
i know but besides a handful of tracks its mostly bradford's project
>>
>>55214826
I did, and he's just not being sincere in the way that a lot of other folk acts are. It's that post ironic new sincerity thing. I generally like that about him, but it can take away from some of the gentler songs like I Went To The Store One Day. In that context it's no longer clever and funny, it just can come off as annoying and pretentious.
>>
>>55214670
Yeah but musically speaking, Mumford and Sons songs have more in common with Fleet Foxes than Bon Iver. I guess both of them make heavy use of acoustic guitars and reverby harmonies, but beyond that there isn't much similarity.
>>
>>55214852
>Misty is just Jim Morrison doing folk

That's perfect. Sometimes it's great, but it can still get kind of obnoxious.
>>
>>55214974
so you'd rather have a seriously cringyworthy line about being a "unique snowflake"
>>
>>55214961
but Bradford is getting outshined, he even said Desire Lines was the best deerhunter song. Also, the only good song on monomania (the missing) was Lockett. Just compare Lotus Plaza to Atlas Sound, and you know that Bradford, while talented, can't craft an atmosphere as well as lockett
>>
Have you guys ever heard the live covers of Gene Clark songs that Robin Peckinold sang in (along with people from Grizzly Bear and Beach House and I think Wye Oak)? They're pretty rad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLjDEFDZXu0
>>
>>55215046
Did you even listen to that entire verse?
>>
>>55215046
Not him but I would, because imo his delivery is so authentic that it doesn't come across as cringeworthy at all. This may just be a case of different taste man
>>55214932
True. Spooky Action at a Distance might even be the best Deerhunter-related album
>>
>>55215069
yeah but lockett only contributes 1 song per album, so it's still 95% bradford
>>
>>55215079
yeah i heard it in starbucks
>>
>>55215135
epic ;)
>>
>>55215092
>This may just be a case of different taste man

yeah it definitely is. i prefer FJM to FF and arguing about it with u anon is not going to change my mind but i got nothing else to do at work :^)
>>
File: eyes.png (254KB, 468x376px) Image search: [Google]
eyes.png
254KB, 468x376px
THE MOMENT YOU CAME TO I SWORE I WOULD CHANGE, THOUGH NEITHER OF US WILL LEAVE UNSCATHED!
>>
File: calls3.jpg (20KB, 264x246px) Image search: [Google]
calls3.jpg
20KB, 264x246px
>>55215202
DON'T BE MY, DON'T BE MY LAST STRANGE ENCOUNTER
>>
File: Transatlanticism+Cover.png (402KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Transatlanticism+Cover.png
402KB, 500x500px
>>55215069
True, but I think Deerhunter are one of those bands where the members are all pretty talented but are better when they work together than alone. So I don't know if that makes them ideal candidates for this thread.

Death Cab for Cutie are though, especially now that Chris Walla is gone - Ben Gibbard ran out of good songs a couple albums ago IMO, and I think now that they've undergone such a big personnel change it might be in their best interest to start writing more collaboratively than they do.
>>
File: calls23.jpg (19KB, 241x267px) Image search: [Google]
calls23.jpg
19KB, 241x267px
>>55215236
I WANNA FIND SOMEBODY, NOT LIKE THIS!
>>
>>55215244
yeah and sometimes i think the band needs to be there to ground bradford, otherwise we'll just get a deerhunter album that's just a 40 min noise collage
>>
>>55214881
Well, I mean... I don't think the Johnsons are even a set group of people, I'm pretty sure it's always just been Antony accompanied by a group of whichever musicians she and sometimes Nico Muhly deem necessary.
>>
>>55215333
When is her new album gonna drop?
>>
>>55215293
Exactly. It's like Simon & Garfunkel - yeah, Simon was the biggest musical contributor but when he doesn't have Garfunkel to bounce ideas off of he does stupid shit like obnoxious brass arrangements and cheesy "african" percussion.
>>
>>55215069
>the missing
>the only good song on monomania

You forgot T.H.M. and title track
>>
>>55215161
All good anon my opinion will likely not change about the matter either :^) both Pecknold and Tillman are quite talented though, I think we can agree on that
>>
>>55214499
>The Shrine/An Argument
>Helplessness Blues
>Tiger Mountain Song
>Your Protector
>The list goes on and on

And you call that "watered down 'indie folk'"?

How fucking dense are you?
>>
File: tumblr_n04jcnM5gd1r57xybo2_1280.jpg (220KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n04jcnM5gd1r57xybo2_1280.jpg
220KB, 1080x720px
>>55215404
When is pecky gonna stop this college bullshit and put a third FF album out?
and are they gonna bring back that balding first drummer?
>>
>>55213815
When the fuck is he finishing his degree and getting on with an album anyway?
>>
>>55215446
God I dunno but I hope it happens soon... Helplessness Blues has cemented itself as a classic for me, it has this timelessness to it. No idea what they'll do for the drummer but I'm sure Pecknold can find someone good
>>55215430
>tfw YOU RUUUUN WITH THE DEVIL
Goddamn he's so good
>>
File: metallica2.jpg (46KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
metallica2.jpg
46KB, 500x333px
>>55213815
Without Hetfield they're nothing
>>
>>55215376
Eventually. To be totally honest I've never followed her career all that closely - the albums she makes are all pretty good but like, they're so ornate and dramatic that they get a little tiring after a while.
>>
>>55214499
Just wow
>>
So folk dudes, I've only recently started listening and I like

Fleet Foxes
The Tallest Man On Earth
Bon Iver
Bob Dylan

Anyone got some good stuff?
>>
>>55215624
fuck off back to preschool you goddamn hippy
>>
>>55215624
The Middle East
Iron & Wine
Early Band of Horses
Midlake
>>
>>55215624
Modern stuff:
Iron and Wine
Devendra Banhart
Laura Marling
Joanna Newsom
The Mountain Goats
Father John Misty

Older Stuff:
Nick Drake
Leonard Cohen
Dave Van Ronk
Pete Seeger
Woody Guthrie
Townes Van Zandt

That should be a good enough start.
>>
>>55215430
Sunlight over me NO MATTER WHAT I DOOO
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.