[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/math/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: hold your horse is.jpg (326KB, 1416x1416px) Image search: [Google]
hold your horse is.jpg
326KB, 1416x1416px
math rock/core, noise rock, post-hardcore, emo, etc. general.

share what you're listening to. share charts. discuss. rec stuff.

pic related has been the soundtrack of my day.

full album here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWqLiy9TLdg
>>
so much better than meme grapes
>>
File: cover326x326.jpg (28KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
cover326x326.jpg
28KB, 326x326px
That's a lot of genres for one general

This is what I rec
>>
>>54828431
I like both, they both have amazing qualities, in my opinion.
>>
>>54828454
they're all sorta semi-related though and people seem to have been okay with the general group of genres in past threads.
>>
File: 1.jpg (97KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
97KB, 500x500px
Imagine Hella but like 40 times as chaotic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65TPURu_Bn8
>>
>>54828533
2beefheart4me
>>
>>54828604
It takes a few listens
>>
>>54828376
I just can't get into Hella.
It seems like the drum track and other instrument tracks are permanently mismatched. And not in a strange timesig way, but like literally the tracks are always offbeat.
I've played crazy shit that constantly changes timesigs in base3 sigs, like 5/8 to 7/8 to 5/8 and other strange combos measure to measure including groupings of 3-2-3, 2-2-3, and shit like that, so it's not just me not 'getting' the timesig, it's literally offbeat for me.

And yes, I enjoyed American Football, and was easily able to get into it. So I'm not sure what the deal is with the Hella! stuff.
>>
>>54828644
Watch a live performance, then it will all make sense
>>
>>54828670
>>54828644

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYPjdaUOwAg
>>
>>54828691
>>54828670
I guess I just don't 'get it'
I mean, the drum performance is phenomenal, and I'll admit that it's not straight noise, but it's just not for me.
To each their own.
>>
>>54828644
funny, Hella is like the only math rock (other than classic shit like slint or american football) that I love.
>>
>>54828644
That's kinda the style they're going for though. This is gonna sound totally pretentious and douchey but I think they have the ability to play in time and synchronized, they just have a desire to give the music a loose tempo feel and play it in a way that's almost rushed and sloppy. I dunno the style definitely isn't for everyone and I can definitely see why a drummer wouldn't like them. Coming from someone who plays guitar, piano, and some drums, I think the style is very interesting to listen to. The performances are great.
>>54828670
They're even more offbeat live lol. There's an interview in one of their concert films where they talk about "playing sloppily" and "playing how you want to play". It's part of the sonic experience, the compositions aren't meant for finesse. Kinda like how punk bands don't give a shit about being a little bit out of tune.
>>
>>54828691
THIS VIDEO THO
>>
Who here is hyped for a possible new Giraffes? Giraffes! record this year?
>>
Favorite zack song solo or otherwise? Here's mine https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGi9SOFX5rc
>>
>>54828793
Just to clarify, I'm not a drummer lol. I play saxophone and piano, but no drums yet. And I seriously admire Hill as a drummer, because in any setting he's fucking great.
Not going to lie, what you're saying makes sense, but that type of style just isn't quite for me I guess. When it comes to synchronization and timing I prefer for there to only be a slight relaxation with certain genres, such as Jazz and similar stuff where a relaxed precision is part of the style and playing mathematically isn't really the goal as much as playing musically. Maybe after some more playing in different settings I'll be better able to appreciate what they're doing, but right now I'm just not feeling it.
But hey, if you think it's interesting, that's all that matters.
>>
>>54828846
same here! those yells he does are manic as fuck. i really like carson's playing style as well.
>>
>>54828862
Oh my bad I misread your post I thought you said you were a drummer lol. But yeah I mean's it's all subjective.
>>
>>54828917
All good man, I can see where the confusion would come from, with me talking about drumming and then talking about playing.
So to clarify, since I haven't listened to much math stuff other than AF (just getting into it now), is the Hella! style part of math or just their personal trademark?
>>
>>54828949
Definitely a trademark (Zach has even stated he dislikes the term "math rock"), though there are a bunch of different styles within the genre. It's sometimes hard to define it since people will sometimes call Slint or Drive Like Jehu math rock and others would call them hardcore or post hardcore or whatever. Thus these /math/ threads cater to pretty much anything that ends up getting called "math rock" which could be heavier bands like Drive Like Jehu or more melodic math stuff like This Town Needs Guns.
>>
File: front.jpg (284KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
284KB, 1400x1400px
hello

i am drummer
>>
File: front.jpg (999KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
999KB, 1200x1200px
>>54829092
i am drummer 2
>>
File: front.jpg (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
1MB, 1000x1000px
>>54829130
i am drummer 3
>>
>>54829092
>>54829130
>>54829207
and we are never going to release another album again
>>
>>54829092
>>54829130
>>54829207
are you drummer?
>>
>>54828376
I like clever girl and riding the diplodoc, anything else with this sound?
>>
>>54828533
I love this, thank you
>>
i'm listening to Refused for the first time, are they hardcore or post hardcore
>>
>>54830561
great band. god tier drummer. and theyre post hardcore.
>>
File: Jaga-Jazzist-1.jpg (142KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jaga-Jazzist-1.jpg
142KB, 1024x768px
Song of the year incoming.

https://soundcloud.com/ninja-tune/sets/jaga-jazzist-starfire-1

>dat prog
>dat odd structure
>dat space feel
>dat syncopation
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.