[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Truth About Tidal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 22

File: Tidal_Launch.png (992KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
Tidal_Launch.png
992KB, 1280x719px
I just saw a rage fest going on between Deadmau5 and a bunch of people on twitter.

So it seems Apple has been planning to launch a high quality streaming service (in conjunction with Beats)later this year.......Jay-Z, Kanye etc are all very concerned about Apple getting a chokehold on streaming (along with everything else), so Tidal has been quickly put together to ruin Apple's plans. Taylor Swift is siding with Tidal in the background too.

There is now talk of Apple trying to quickly lure artists over to their side.

I actually think Tidal are doing the right thing in this case.
>>
>streaming
>ever
>>
>>54791222

btw Deadmau5 said he didn't like the way Tidal has been launched so far etc but the overall intentions of the group are in the right place he thinks
>>
>>54791222
d00d, no one cares
>>
File: 1386082955731.gif (2MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1386082955731.gif
2MB, 260x260px
>all these billionaire artists talking about not getting enough money
>>
File: happy.gif (12KB, 501x504px) Image search: [Google]
happy.gif
12KB, 501x504px
>truth about Tidal
>>
File: Lolcow.png (629KB, 843x468px) Image search: [Google]
Lolcow.png
629KB, 843x468px
>Streaming
>Not downloading
>>
>>54791414

I'm no fan of Pharrell whats-his-face but apparently he had over 30million stream downloads on spotify and has only received just over $5,000 from them.

Dats some bullshit if you ask me.
>>
>>54792266
Who gives a fuck he is still making money?
Never understood why we encourage making people who are rich,richerrrrrrrrrrrr

You think pharrell gives a fuck after the label already gave him his money?
>>
File: 1427333714509.png (525KB, 637x600px) Image search: [Google]
1427333714509.png
525KB, 637x600px
Who cares, its not like anyone on here actually listens to those billionaires, right?
>right?
>>
>>54791495
is that a band?
>>
>>54792266

And yet is still rich? It's almost like there are other way to earn money besides streaming.

All art should be free in digital format end of story.

Concerts, vinyl, cd, merchandise, limited editions, adds on your streaming service etc. those are your ways of getting money from me.
>>
>>54791429
/thread
>>
>>54792405

Oh fuck off you commie retard
>>
>>54792311
>>54792405
You two are fucking stupid holy shit
If fucking Pharrell is only getting $5k then how do you think smaller artists on Spotify are doing? Jesus christ and then one of you goes full fucking retard with "digital art should be free"
Why the fuck should it be free?
>>
>>54792405
>All art should be free in digital format end of story.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

get a load of this guy
>>
>>54792462
>Why the fuck should it be free?

Technically it is.
>>
File: 1426020857656.jpg (41KB, 469x463px) Image search: [Google]
1426020857656.jpg
41KB, 469x463px
>>54792405
>>
>>54792266
>spotify and has only received just over $5,000 from them.

Spotify are a making millions and handing the artists pennies.

They have fucked themselves and probably won't be around very much longer when the big dogs all pull their music out.
>>
>>54792462
Whether it should or should not be it is.
I shouldn't have to lock my doors at night but I do. Moral perfection isn't going to be achieved. The fact that all people who still believe we should buy music can say is that you're stealing when you aren't even doing that is just such bad business venturing. If any smaller artist wants to make money from their music they should sell merch and gig tickets. Why would you go to a dried up well if you wanted water? It's just stupid trying to sell your music if you aren't taylor swift tier famous
>>
>>54792522
Alright let's hear how it's technically free
>>
>>54792405
I look forward to the day when all music is made in the artists time off work
>>
>>54791222
>paying for digital music
no matter what side, you're on the losing team
>>
>>54792569
mfw I actually do this
>>54792564
see all torrenting sites. You might find it a little less expensive than before
>>
>>54792540
not really sure where you're getting this from, they only keep 30% of the revenue
>>
>>54792498
>buying music
>buying digital music
>>
>>54792460
>>54792462
>>54792498

because art is not the same as a normal product and humanity deserves to share all forms of art freely in some form - the internet provides the chance to do it without hurting the artist too much for the first time because there are plenty of methods to earn money with your art in other ways online and offline

And no I am not a communist I am an idealist that believes that art stands above selling hot dogs or cars.

Btw. water, basic energy needs and food should be "free" as in available to everyone no matter how much money they have aswell.
>>
>>54792622
Yeah no if an artist puts in the time to create something they have every right to charge money for it regardless of the distribution platform
>>
>>54792569

imagine how interesting the normie music scene would be without people like Kanye and Taylor Swift all your pleb friends would listen to different artists
>>
>>54792622
phil?
>>
>>54792663
Still doesn't change the fact that all the artists in that picture are rich as fuck and need to quit bitching
>>
>>54792663

No they don't because art is not a product you produce for profit. However they should get paid for perfoming their music live if they are a musician.
>>
>>54792622
>because art is not the same as a normal product

you really are retarded m8
>>
>>54792712
So being rich stops you from being entitled for compensation for work?

>>54792714
>art should be free because I say so
how old are you?
>>
>>54792728
>>54792747

incredible stimulating reponses guys
>>
>>54792677
>imagine how interesting the normie music scene would be without people like Kanye and Taylor Swift all your pleb friends would listen to different artists

you're an idiot

people have to leave their jobs etc to try and make it in music........shit like spotify gives people no incentive to make music anymore because they get nothing in return.

why make music anymore if you can't feed yourself?
>>
>>54791222
Music costs 6 dollars
>>
>>54792714
>because art is not a product you produce for profi

LEL

dis some next level shit
>>
>>54792757
There is nothing stimulating about your fucking post fucker
>art should be free because it's different for reasons

Yeah okay champ
>>
>>54792780

I wish people would pay attention and not only read what they want to read.
>>
>>54792780
You can make music while also having a job.
>>
They're trying to take down Spotify tards

Also Streaming is just a bad business model anyway, anyone who really truly appreciates music is using and finding things through bandcamp end of story
>>
>>54791222

Good.

Fuck Apple and fuck Beats.
>>
>>54792677
holy shit you're right. Or you might just end up with stupid internet celebrities everywhere.

It would be a lot more diverse but I worry that people like boyinaband would be the new pop... which would not be much of an improvement
>>
>german saying retarded things

Every single time
>>
>>54792831
True to an extent
>>
>>54792405
work costs money.

why would anyone trying to make a living off music give most of their potential income away so you dont have to pay a subscription fee, or for a single download.

i download music too dude but pirating is pirating. as great and awesome as it is, its killing the music industry.

artists arent getting paid like they were 15 years ago but they still make millions because now rather than focusing more on music making them cass, they make their money through advertisements, sponsorships, business ventures and partnerships.

as good as it is to download everything there are good points to paying for music.

your freedom crusade is making music dumber.
>>
April Fool's
>>
>>54792831
You can't perfect it though
>>
Reminder that all those high profile celebrities are 'co-owners' of Tidal, so every time you stream an obscure artist they are also getting your money
>>
>fuck tidal, fucking greedy jew fuckers millionairesbillionaires

"they're trying to beat apple"

>you know, i've always liked jay-z. lossless streaming sounds wonderful.
>>
>paying money to arrange bits of light on your own computer in a particular pattern
>>
>>54792831
>You can make music while also having a job.

You obviously don't make music that's worth a shit
>>
Competition is good.

So, whatever.
>>
Is it called Tidal because they're trying to turn the tides?
>>
>>54792780
Money often isn't a motivating factor for making music. Sure, some people make a lot of money of off music. Most musicians don't.

>>54792747
Being rich doesn't stop you from being entitled to compensation, though I have little sympathy when the rich complain about not getting payed enough. Just pull your music from spotify if you don't like it. Without artists they don't have a business.
>>
>>54792780
Erm you could have a job and make music because you enjoy it. Also save up money working and when you have enough money to afford to tour then tour and eat
>>
>>54792996
>Is it called Tidal because they're trying to turn the tides?

Yes. Against Spotify and soon Apple too.
>>
>>54792887
Remember when home taping killed the music industry too? Music isn't getting dumber, nothing is making music dumber. There is more music being made now than ever before, and it is more accessible. And you people can't do anything but complain and shill for artists who are already rich and high-profile.

>>54792905
>>54792958
Yeah good music can only come out of big studios with big budgets
>>
>>54793107
my money's on apple

pretty stupid to bet against them
>>
>>54793142
>my money's on apple
>pretty stupid to bet against them

Apple can't do shit if all the main artists are signed to Tidal already lol
>>
>>54793139
>>54793139
its killing it for people trying to get off the ground too.
>>
>>54793154
they'll just create new pop stars.

these ones think they're worth more than they actually are. they're disposable.
>>
>>54793154
Do you understand how much money these artists make from itunes?
>>
>>54793228
lemme guess, you make shitty beats and think your music is worth a damn, and if only those kids stopped downloading music you'd be signed to Roc Nation and swimming in a pool filled with cocaine.

No sympathy for anyone who wants to make it big, especially if they're trying to do so using the long-dead model of the record industry
>>
Does anyone ITT actually know how much Tidal is paying artists as compared to other services? Do we know for certain if Tidal is compensating its artists more than services like Spotify?

Also, how many indie artists are actually promoting this new service?
>>
>>54792581
kek yhis pretty much
>>
>>54793357
>indie artists

nobody cares about them you tryhard poseur
>>
>>54793357

a few people on mu have said it's double?
>>
>>54793357
Well it's probably safe to assume more if big artists are jumping ship to it especially considering that Spotify has a huge install base to begin with

You could argue Ye is only doing it because he's friends with Jay but I dunno about Mouse man and The Arcade Fires. I'm assuming they'd do it because of a bigger slice of the pie
>>
>>54793395

>not caring about artists like Death Grips, Shabazz Palaces, Swarms, Autechre, Neutral Milk Hotel, Swans, Run the Jewels, etc.

>on /mu/

Would you rather I call them "non-mainstream artists", since you're allergic to the word "indie"?
>>
>>54793469
Death Grips are on a record label lol
>>
>>54793504
So are all those other bands you tosser
>>
>>54792266
Like he isn't making shit loads from royalties and radio play
>>
>>54793504
>being willfully obtuse
>okay have a nice day
>>
>>54793531
Therefore they're not indie?
>>
>>54792540
No one has EVER made money because of their music. They've made music because of their celebrity.
>>
>>54793558
see
>>54793557
>>
File: fenris-i-marka.jpg (71KB, 650x367px) Image search: [Google]
fenris-i-marka.jpg
71KB, 650x367px
>mfw so deep in the underground that I order tapes and vinyl or get Pay-what-you-want-streaming via Bandcamp
>>
>/mu/ is just now realizing that apple is going to start a streaming service with beats

Jesus Christ you guys are out of the loop people have known this since September of last year.

Chris Ott has been tweeting about it quite a bit. It's been a regular discussion on hipinion
>>
>>54793345
i dont make beats.

i just know its not easy making money.
self publishing, or even through shows.
>>
>>54793504
Of course they are, they need to distribute.
They have ties to Harvest for distribution and their own label as well, so their creation is in no way dictated by their label. They release all of their shit for free and use Harvest as a way of selling physical copies worldwide.
This is perfectly normal for an "indie" band.
>>
>>54793414
Only if you pay $20 a month. Standard pays the same as spotify.
>>
Why can't people just make music and do day jobs like they did before the recording industry became a multi million dollar business
>>
>>54793575
>No one has EVER made money because of their music

lol

>seriously believing this........
>>
File: 1401951052653.jpg (47KB, 383x504px) Image search: [Google]
1401951052653.jpg
47KB, 383x504px
>>54793621

>thinks bandcamp is a deep underground music site
>>
>>54793414

>/mu/ as a proper source

>>54793424

Big artists make backroom deals via industry connections and through their agents all the time. They don't need to worry about becoming successful because they're already successful. It's the top-of-the-pyramid circlejerk. Mid-range artists like Arcade Fire and Deadmau5 have gotten cozy w/ the industry as well. They might think they're fighting the "good fight", but they're oblivious to how things really work.

I think what's happening w/ Spotify is similar to the situation w/ Uber, where they rip off those who do their heavylifting in order to compete with rising competitors. I personally don't think that Tidal itself is all that great. It's potential lies in whether or not it can motivate competitors like Spotify to change their policies, similar to what Google Fiber has been trying to do to Comcast and Time Warner (w/ very little success so far). Whether those changes end up being for better or worse remains to be seen, if changes are made at all. The fact that Tidal hasn't so far publicized its payout model for artists is worrying.

>>54793504

>focusing only on DG
Stop using memegrips for your kindergarten Internet adventures, please.
>>
>>54793710
>Why can't people just make music and do day jobs

>Why can't people just make films and do day jobs

>Why can't people just make tv shows and do day jobs

BECAUSE IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME, MONEY AND EFFORT YOU FUCKTARD
>>
>>54793246
>Apple manufactures new pop stars
>The public actually forgets about the old top 40 stuff and moves on to new top 40
>Everyone who claims current top 40 artists are doing something worth a damn will be BTFO
Please let this happen.
>>
>>54793246
>they'll just create new pop stars.

lol
>>
>>54791414
>all these billionaire artists talking about not getting enough money
actually their label get almost everything.

Imagine they sell to stores, the album for 10 dollars
The label get something like 70+% of it, yes its a huge thing, but if the artist say he will not accept this deal the label can just say "bye bye", and get another band since they will be able to make the other.

Imagine they sell 100000, they will get 300000 a huge amount right?
But the artist also have to pay for the cost of making the cd. If the cd cost 1, this will be removed and they will get 2 dollars out of 10.
But there is more, there is a price that artists had to pay because vynils records became broken going to stores. Imagine this value is 10 cents per cd.
Now they get 1.9 per cd.
There is also the fact that most of mainstream music is produced by other guys, not the band, so those guys get 50% of it.
Now they get 0.95 cents, with 100000 cds sold they get 95000 dollars.

But to make an cd the band need money to pay for a studio time, imagine they get 50000 to do their cd. This money will need to be paid back with cd sales and before they get some amount of money they must pay all this 50000
Now they have 45000 dollars, but there is also price for advertisement like music videos and etc... they have to pay, and paying radios and tv stations to play their music (in the case this exist like almost everyone say that happens).

If they dont sell enought cds to pay this stuff, they will need to make one extra cd with the label to pay all this shit (and the shit of the new cd)
>>
>>54793932
What the fuck?
Since when does the artist pay for techincal shit like accidental breakages and production costs?
I feel like you're pulling shit out of your ass
>>
File: Le_Chat.jpg (140KB, 931x630px) Image search: [Google]
Le_Chat.jpg
140KB, 931x630px
>mfw Apple insanely over-paid for Beats because it was crucial in marketing their streaming service

>mfw the Apple streaming service is now fucked because of Tidal

>mfw Tidal release far better headphones for less

HAHAHAHA fuck Apple and their hipster horde
>>
>>54793752
?
I know people on Bandcamp who never played a single gig and maybe 50 people know about them. Literally.
>>
>>54793932
>But the artist also have to pay for the cost of making the cd.
eh no. Major labels dont operate that way.
>>
>>54793817
>>Apple manufactures new pop stars
I am talking about the big labels.
If the artists quit their big labels to be only tidal exclusive, their labels can just get some new bands and pay to them be everytime on radio stations and tv stations while at the same time not paying the ones that arent on their labela anymore.

Do you seriously think if somehow, justin bieber died on a car crash, on the same day he signed with his big label, we wouldnt have some mainstream kid singer?
>>
>>54793932

this sounds like the way it worked in the 80s but not so sure now
>>
>>54794070
forgot to include some important part,
those new mainstream artists would be added to appel and the other places like they are now
>>
>>54793345
I love this anon. Totally on it
>>
>>54793228
it literally doesn't
>>
>>54794039
>>54794039
>eh no. Major labels dont operate that way.
>I feel like you're pulling shit out of your ass
many places cite that, like how stuff works, I think the nirvana producer I forgot the name said that too.
One website even posted a picture of a contract, and some musician that was also related with laws, explained every single part of the contract

>>54793983
>Since when does the artist pay for techincal shit like accidental breakages
they need to do it even to itunes songs

>>54794090
>this sounds like the way it worked in the 80s but not so sure now
Thanks for reminding me that I forgot to include some thing.
yes its not like the 80s its worse, there is an thing now called 360 deal, where the artist must pay to the label some part of the profit with shows, advertisements amd etc...
>>
>>54794039
>>54793983
read that steve albini thing

>>54793785
again, this relies on the assumption that you can only make good music with a big budget
>>
>>54794178
>many places cite that, like how stuff works,
Gimme one. Nirvana is long gone. Also I don't doubt that record labels fuck over people like this but we gotta look careful at what it is the rule and what is the exception.
>>54794198
Albini is a pretentious dick.
>>
>>54793932
You're right anon. Signing to a major label in this day and age really is the stupidest thing any aspiring musician can do. It really does seem that only someone who was beyond narcissistic and couldn't even comprehend the idea of researching the kind of job you want before you go and try to get it would even want to do it, especially seeing as you can now get the equipment to record a brilliant sounding album right on your own computer, in your own house for money you could save up in a relatively short period of time. Seriously is being the kind of celebratory that say kanye is worth shit anymore? He used to be such a fantastic producer and hell even rapper, but now he's literally some famous for fames sake clown. Having all that attention doesn't even sound appealing. I have the stuff to make a great sounding album in my room. Why would I even consider anything like that when I can distribute my own music without leaving my house and promote by organising my own tour where I'm in 100% control of 100% of the money I make and spend.
>>
>>54794258
Great counterargument there fuckface
>>
>>54794258
found the albini one
http://www.negativland.com/news/?page_id=17

will try to find the metal one
>>
>>54794299
same to you fag
>>
>>54794198
>read that steve albini thing

yeah a guy worth $10million telling young bands they shouldn't expect to get paid

>just do it for the love maaaaaaan
>>
>>54793621
>awful to maneuver
>easily gets fucked up
>nothing to play it on

God tapes are so fucking stupid. Worst physical media that still somehow gets made. Vinyl should be the only surviving physical media at this point.
>>
>>54794320
>defends megarich assholes complaining about the way the industry works
>until it doesn't suit him anymore
>>
>>54792831
ITT: every service should be free, except the one I provide.
>>
>>54794341
>awful to maneuver
>easily gets fucked up
>nothing to play it on

God vinyl is so fucking stupid etc and so on
>>
>people defending big labels

its official, the last nail of the coffing. /mu/ is dead
>>
>>54794341
>nothing to play it on
Wait what? Tape decks are fucking cheap and the one in my stereo actually still works fine. But I agree that they awful as a physical media but at least they are cheap and 90% of the time I get a download code with them or cant at least write the band to send me the files.

>>54794301
Well okay I WILL read that but after 2 paragraphs my early assumption that Alibini is a dick seems to prove right.
>>
>>54794020
Yeah you can find all my homies local bands on spotify and itunes as well. It's still obscure in no way at all. Full mainstream. Every band is expected to have bandcamp if they do not have a label.
>>
To me there is only 3 levels of obscuriness
1-Mainstream
2-Normal(everyone else not on 1 or 3)
3-Underground artists: Artists you will only find on very small netlabels labels, that do one song for a netlabel various artist album and never do another thing again, make some album put on bandcamp and dont do shows and spread their music
>>
>>54794393
>big labels

for you
>>
>>54794482
Horrible way to divide it up honestly

>>54794393
mu's been dead for years homeboy
>>
>>54794301
Well it seem to a worst case scenario really. I mean that virtual band he describes is fucking stupid, Wayne's World stupid.
>>
File: hm.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
hm.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
>>54794482
This seems like a very sophisticated model. I guess you read a lot on the subject before thinking about very hard. It's is so damn complex yet accurate.
>>
File: 1409579139128.jpg (23KB, 272x347px) Image search: [Google]
1409579139128.jpg
23KB, 272x347px
>>54794482
>obscuriness
>>
>>54793932

I think most record deals are based on the old mowtown 11 point deal where the band/artist (and their manager and staff) gets like 10 cents on every dollar and they split that up between them.
>>
>streaming music

fucking plens
>>
>>54794565
>I mean that virtual band he describes is fucking stupid, Wayne's World stupid.
if the person say no, the label can just try with another guy, the big label deal the cards not the artists.

There are plent of dumb girls out there and dumb teenagers willing to settle for this type of deal
>>
That was the worst press conference I've ever seen.....Holy shit.

I can't wait to see how bad this flops.
>>
>>54794630
>motown
>>
>>54792714
>No they don't because art is not a product you produce for profit
MAYBE, in a perfect world. But son. There's something I think you should know.
>>
>>54794633
i always stream music from torrents
>>
>>54794635
I reckon if you had presented me with this deal a few years ago I would have when I was say 17/18 if you sugar coated it saying the right things. Like I know its a con now but there are some kids at hirable age that wouldn't think twice about it
>>
>>54794392
this
>>
>>54794635
>if the person say no, the label can just try with another guy, the big label deal the cards not the artists.
I don't think so. Well at least not in my "scene" where every label that is not made of scene members automatically has a bad reputation. But I guess the question is what the aim for a band really is. Playing 20-30 shows a year and every 2-3 years a new album? I think that is absolutely possible but you will never have a living from playing in that band. i mean even the dudes from Converge need "real" jobs (fuck Kurt Ballou btw).

Also if the labels are doing so fine/are holding all the cards why are their profits shrinking? The strategy described in Albinis blog-thing seems like a clichée to me. I mean we all know how bad record companies are (thats why I mentioned Wayne's World) from popular culture. We also know about the profit margins. If people are still willing to sign that shit, well, I think it's proper to call them stupid.

Same goes for Spotify and other streaming sides. People know about the profit margins and move on (to bandcamp for example) to interact with their fans almost directly, literally cutting out the middle man.
>>
>>54792714
>the rich white kid who can live at Daddys expense for a few years talking.
Nigger do you even Pierre Bourdieu? The notion of art pour l'art is fucking obnoxious and bourgeois.
>>
>>54791414
shutup you poorfags. when youre rich, and getting taxed 40% out the ass AND on top of that getting jewed out by labels and spotify, you start thinking of how much more money you'd be able to have and how much more you could do with it.

imagine if people like JayZ , Kanye or Pharrell or Deadmau5 had 5 times as much money as they had now. maybe theyd start programs like DONDA to help kids, or build more music studios for poor schools like Big Sean did or some rapper did that i forget who.

point is, the old jew guard are keeping good hearted creatives from spreading happiness across the world because of their jewness.
>>
>>54794973
>implying Jay-Z doesnt help people
>implying a charity based social security is favorable
>implying the free market is not a Jewish invention
Mr Friedman please leave.
>>
>>54795042
whatever man its all relative. when youre making 70k and only pay 5k in taxes ur like whatever.

but when ur making 7 mill, and then pay 3 mill in taxes, youre like what the fuck?!
>>
>>54794973
>imagine if people like JayZ , Kanye or Pharrell or Deadmau5 had 5 times as much money as they had now. maybe theyd start programs like DONDA to help kids, or build more music studios for poor schools like Big Sean did

>imagine if they had more money - they would do things that people with less money than them do

nice
>>
>>54795098
How do you know? Also In what country is the income tax 14?%?
>>
File: 1427547520745.gif (355KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1427547520745.gif
355KB, 320x240px
>>54794973
>Kanye or Pharrell or Deadmau5 had 5 times as much money as they had now. maybe theyd start programs like DONDA to help kids

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>54795133
yes instead of jewing it all up like spotify guy does, they give back to communities and help others. is spotify helping anyone? or is he just flying around in his yacht banging prostitutes?
>>
>>54795186
nice tophat. shame its not a fedora tho.
>>
>>54791275
deadmousefive is a faggot that doesn't do psychedelics with Joe Rogan.
>>
>>54795251
Are you dense? American artist on that level are doing charity for tax reason alone already.
>>
>>54794899
>I don't think so. Well at least not in my "scene
look at the ultra small amount of mainstream artists that exist, they dont need alot of dumb people.

also I heard they make contract parties where people drink alchool and so become more relaxed and etc... (PS: not saying this alone sold their problems)

the thing is that they have everything planned.

If they paid Robert Lanham to ("create") spread those hipster thing
>>
I was really hoping this thread would be about circlejerking to how bad Tidal is.
Now I don't have anywhere to get my fix.
Thanks, /mu/.
>>
>>54795303
ya because you can read their minds and know their intentions. faggot.
>>
File: wutif.jpg (75KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
wutif.jpg
75KB, 612x408px
WUT IF STEVE ON TV

u hurt him
>>
>>54795299

meh deadmau5 is about the only person on that stage that I can have any respect for
>>
>>54795299

wtf would want to do anything with Joe Rogan, that guy is one of the biggest douches of all time and the people that ride his dick are even bigger losers

re-evaluate your life you fucking hippy
>>
>>54795299
dude what. drugs effect different people differently. i wish i could smoke weed all day, but it i do i get tired af, lazy, and paranoid.

my friend smokes all day and its like he doesnt even get affected sometimes i swear.
>>
>>54795299

Joel absolutely fucking detests drugs. EDM is fucking putrid to the core with that shit and he's probably seen the damage it does.
>>
File: oT2kW[1].jpg (32KB, 500x291px) Image search: [Google]
oT2kW[1].jpg
32KB, 500x291px
>>54796308

>probably
>>
>>54796308
he says how he sees KIDS overdosing on drugs at his show and its depressing af
>>
>>54796364

Thats the little shits fault. Don't do drugs you can't handle without proper research.
>>
>>54792888
This is the only logical explanation to Tidal.
>>
>>54796353
tbf to him I used to dress like a spikey haired faggot at that age as well
>>
>>54796415
stfu. really? its his fault entirely? surely some influences got into a teenagers mind about doing drugs. he didnt just wakeup and go, ooohh molly ima go do a shit load of it because its fun.
>>
>>54796308

He was doing some festival and DJ Rusko (who was also djing) was smoking weed behind the stage and Joel got the security to throw him out or some shit lol
>>
>>54796461
I think that anon was referring to the kids taking the drugs, not Joel
>>
>>54796106

hes also the most autistic
>>
>>54796308

>Dubstep DJ Rusko and Canadian superstar Deadmau5 have clashed over drugs again as the former admits he's "taking a fuck-load" of booze and opiates.

>In a recent interview the 27-year-old said: "I always make sure everyone's been getting fucked before I get on stage." Deadmau5 has a totally different attitude. The Candian says drugs "upsets" him, telling fans, "It's not cool. Be responsible for fuck's sake."

>I know what’s going on at my own shows. I’m wearing this mouse head and I’m watching kids get carried out by paramedics over the front rail while I’m playing. Sometimes I just want to stop the show. It’s not cool to me. It upsets me."
>>
>>54796493
Do you reckon he got kicked out without getting paid? If so what do you reckon he shouted at deadmau5?
>>
>>54792266
from the first article I found on it:>Update: The original headline of this story has been revised to reflect that the $3,000 amount only refers to Pandora’s songwriter royalty payments, and did not include its performance rights payments. Pharell’s take on 43 million “Happy” plays from those payments likely totaled approximately $25,000.

so yeah you're just bulshitting but that's still pretty low.
>>
>>54796537
what an absolute bitch
>>
File: deadmau5_madonna.jpg (77KB, 634x515px) Image search: [Google]
deadmau5_madonna.jpg
77KB, 634x515px
>>54796537

the classic
>>
>>54796520
I'm sorry, but Kanye "Manchild-Tantrum" West is standing right next to him.
>>
>>54796461
Im talking about the kids.If you can't do a simple google search on what your taking and research the safe dosages. thats your own fault for fucking up.

Nobody is putting a gun to these kids head to try molly. Especially when these idiots don't even check what they're buying.
>>
>>54796605
this guy is such a faggot. He has never done drugs, but a couple idiots OD and he thinks it's the end of humanity.
>>
>>54796674
>He has never done drugs

how do you know???
>>
>>54796537
Why do people hate on Joel so much? Yeah, he goes about a lot of things in a dickish way, but behind the assholery he's typically right. It's like his criticism of DJ worship, he was kinda an ass about the way he called people out, but he had an important point.
>>
>>54796560
some britbong shit
>>
>>54796560

i'll hook you in the gabber m8
>>
Now that I learned he's a responsible person I sort of regret shitposting in his AMA thread.
>>
>>54796674
tbf I've done drugs but if my job every night involved seeing people ODing on drugs because of baggage rave culture has brought with it at my shows I would be pretty stressed about whether I should carry on doing it. Like you'd feel like you were somehow encouraging destructive and stupid behaviour when you meant to share music you loved making with people
>>
>>54796750
>he goes about a lot of things in a dickish way,

he gives shit to those who deserve it

twitter is full of special snowflakes who can't take any kind of criticism without crying into their starbucks
>>
>Jay-Z, Kanye etc are all very concerned about Apple getting a chokehold on streaming

lol, no.

They see Dr. Dre clocking billions and think "hey, I can do that too," but they can't.
>>
>>54792266
Yeah, I agree - I could really care less about the wallets of pop stars, but since Spotify, Pandora, etc. is making a /ton/ of money off of their work I think that artist compensation should be better. I probably won't end up using Tidal because I've just never been a fan of listening to streaming radio, but I hope they come up with a model that works for everyone.
>>
>>54797121
>"hey, I can do that too," but they can't.

but they can and they are

they have already stuck a spanner in the works for Apple
>>
>>54796605

good on him, joel's a bro
>>
>>54797422
There's nowhere to stick anything, Apple is already dead, as proven when they gave people free shit and got backlash.

Spotify and Google already won this medium.
>>
>>54797422
So? Apple is the Goliath of streaming since when? What's their streaming service even called? It ain't Ralph though.

Spotify and Pandora are the only players in this game. Tidal vs. Apple is just minor league entertainment for the off season.
>>
>>54794973
>muh trickle down economics

go to bed, ronnie
>>
>>54797824
>Spotify and Pandora are the only players in this game

you do understand that all these artists will be pulling out of Spotify and it will be dead right?
>>
File: capitalism.jpg (59KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
capitalism.jpg
59KB, 700x525px
>>
>paying for digital music
>paying for digital music that you can't even own
holy shit people are stupid.
>>
>>54797870
Movie studios have been pulling out of Netflix for years. Their selection gets worse every quarter while their valuation goes up.

Why? Because people value convenience over selection. The local movie theater doesn't have a huge selection either, but people will go regardless for the movie experience, and those who find the theater inconvenient will go to Netflix.

By the same token, Yeezy, Hova and Tay Tay aren't the reason people flock to Spotify and most won't miss them when they're gone. They go for the convenience.
>>
File: 345322.jpg (9KB, 214x235px) Image search: [Google]
345322.jpg
9KB, 214x235px
>tidal is good
>>
>>54792887
>its killing the music industry
yeah because before pirating we totally had the diversity and bountitude that we do now right.

Oh now the trite pop artists aren't making as much money as they used to, what a disaster the music industry is over.

Meanwhile a no-name band now has a shot at getting listeners and eventually ticket sales, merch sales, and even album sales. That could only happen with piracy. Most people aren't willing to drop 10 bucks on an album from a band they've never heard and are not even sure they're going to like. And if they do, and they don't like it, they'll be less likely to do so in the future. This also allows artist to experiment more since they don't have to worry about consumers playing it safe in the interest of avoiding buyer's remorse.

With piracy, the consumer has nothing to lose by taking a chance on an artist that's operating outside of the label and trying to gain a foothold in the music scene. Meanwhile the artist has everything to gain. I always laugh when newer, smaller artists complain about piracy when it's the sole reason they even have any relevancy or listeners.
>>
>>54793932
Artists with higher profiles demand higher percentage on sales though. You think people like Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond get the same amount as some no-name acoustic college rock artist that the label is pushing? The artists that were at the press conference make something ranging in between these two (Arcade Fire probably on the low end with Jay-Z and Kanye on the high-end). These artists aren't representative in any way of the typical artist. Smaller artists don't have the leverage to demand higher pay since the label could drop them with little consequence to their profits. This isn't the case with the blockbuster artists though.
>>
>$19.99/mo
DOA
>>
I really dislike these types of services, Spotify. They limit the average consumer's exposure solely to the artists they have deals with. It's like Netflix, and you know the majority of Netflix subscribers only look to Netflix when they're seeking something to watch. Even beyond the issue of money, this is the reason I'll never support any gatekeeper service like this.
>>
File: 1427711413212.jpg (85KB, 454x453px) Image search: [Google]
1427711413212.jpg
85KB, 454x453px
>all these poorfags making excuses not paying for music

They got their way by fans buying their stuff. So they are rich, that means they don't deserve more money? Do you know how hard is it to maintain their wealth? Sure you don't have to pay, but don't act like they don't deserve it.
>>
>>54799079
bingo
>>
>>54799079
> Do you know how hard is it to maintain their wealth?
What is compounding interest? Not hard at all.
>>
>>54799129
Dude, do you know how much money rich people pay for taxes?
>>
>>54798797
lol. the same old argument. piracy is great because you don't have to pay for shit. just end it there and don't try to justify it by saying it's better for artists at any fucking level. smaller artists routinely gave/give their music away. piracy is neither the cause nor the effect, so stop pretending it's some act of kindness or fairness you're generously bestowing upon anyone but yourself.
>>
>>54792311
>>54792405
>>54792549

Holy shit, you guys are really fucking stupid.
>>
>>54792593
That's stealing. I can steal a candy bar from a store, that doesn't mean it's free.
>>
>>54798797
>I always laugh when newer, smaller artists complain about piracy when it's the sole reason they even have any relevancy or listeners.

retardation: the post
>>
>>54799212
well maybe they shouldnt be rich
>>
>>54799320
i wish you hadn't quoted them. because then i wouldn't have read them. and realized that there's an entire generation of kids who have done nothing but listen to each other justify each other's behaviour without thinking logically, critically, or, most importantly, empathetically.
>>
>>54792377
Nah, they're these weebs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auyTYBDKoL0
>>
>>54792714
>art is not a product you produce for profit.
uh, yeah it is... is this a real opinion?
>>
comes down to the price
if apple is cheaper, I'm siding with them

these dumb fuck artists want to create ANOTHER streaming service and want to charge WAY more than the current ones. it's just not going to work. apple is already a huge trusted and (sometimes) quality name brand, they don't even need any extra artists to stomp out tidal
>>
>>54799378
>is this a real opinion

yeah a real retarded opinion
>>
>>54799378
>uh, yeah it is... is this a real opinion?

he's probably living dat social security lifestyle where everything is free
>>
>>54799378
it's generally the opinion of people who have never created anything, intellectually, artistically, or physically, and so only think about life from the point of view of a consumer. at that point, whatever justifies the lowest price = truth.
>>
File: anthony flatano.jpg (307KB, 800x448px) Image search: [Google]
anthony flatano.jpg
307KB, 800x448px
so here we are, on a music board
discussing how much we hate musicians and think that they should starve to death

what a wonderful world
>>
>>54799419
>apple is already a huge trusted and (sometimes) quality name brand

lol
>>
>>54799374
Yeah it's ridiculous.
>waaaah, they're already rich! why should they make more money!!!??

That's not how it works you fucking children. Seriously, grow the fuck up, there's no way anybody who thinks this is over the age of 18.
>>
>>54799419
Apple shill,
Pls go.
>>
>>54792405
>And yet is still rich?

>All art should be free in digital format end of story.

what's with all this commie bullshit ????

fuck off to north korea if it's so great
>>
>>54799357
>>54799303
Great retorts.
>>
>>54792266
>he had over 30million stream downloads on spotify and has only received just over $5,000 from them.
>Dats some bullshit if you ask me.
Remember back in high school when you were bitching that all this math they were shoving down your throat was never going to be useful in the real world? So you never really took it that seriously?

That's is why opinions like this are so prevalent amongst the masses.

Streaming IS NOT radio. The compensation models ARE NOT comparable.

First of all, a single stream means ONE PERSON has heard the song. A radio play means several people have heard it. In a city like NYC, a single play can mean hundreds of thousands of listeners.

Second, if a radio station plays 10 minutes of ads every hour, that leaves them with enough time for maybe a dozen songs, so the royalty share of that revenue only needs to be split 12 ways.

A streaming service can play 10 minutes of ads and stream MILLIONS of songs in the remaining 50 minutes because each listener is listening to a different song, so the advertising revenue needs to be split millions of ways as opposed to dozens.

Advertising revenue remains proportional to the number of listeners, but a single play is only worth a drop of that. As much as the media likes to parade Jay Z around the paparazzi Bill Gates, he's not a real businessman and isn't qualified to solve this problem. Kanye West and Trent Reznor sure as hell aren't qualified.

Keep celebrities out of Silicon Valley concerns. I BEEN DOING THIS MORE THAN YOU, YE!
>>
My first thought about this is that these guys are already rich as shit but they want more money?

My second thought is, why the fuck is anyone coming into this industry or trying to manipulate it into making them money?

Yeah people are making money but they're never going to make as much money as they did before the 2000s and there is nothing that is going to change that. I don't know it seems strange to me that there are still people coming into this expecting to become extremely famous and make a tonne of money and that there are people trying to fix what can't be fixed.
>>
If you make enough money to survive off of art, you're an entertainer, not an artist.
>>
File: negus.png (55KB, 597x582px) Image search: [Google]
negus.png
55KB, 597x582px
>>54799212
Dude, do you understand how marginal tax rates work?
>>
>>54799912
>leonardo da vinci was not an artist

hahahahahahahahaha idiot
>>
>>54799698
There's still a ton of money in music. Mac Miller hasn't even gone gold and he lives in a mansion. A lot of meme rappers with mixtapes on youtube make pretty good money.

The fact that it's not buy-a-private-jet-just-to-crash-it-into-a-hotel-room money just peevs a lot of these aging, previous-gen rockstars (i.e. those at the Tidal press conference).
>>
go to bed joel
>>
>>54799983
it's harder for indie artists now

at the very top of the pile things are not so bad, but it's harder to come up now

that's why there have been no significant new musical movements for 15 years
>>
File: 1427739368631.png (149KB, 294x439px) Image search: [Google]
1427739368631.png
149KB, 294x439px
I made a satirical post about tidal and mods delete it because they think I'm commercially advertising

>mfw
>>
>>54799982
>liking overhyped history book trash
lmao
>>
>>54800058
keep digging, moron
>>
File: 2818358601_f768463e7d_z.jpg (62KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
2818358601_f768463e7d_z.jpg
62KB, 640x427px
>>54791222
This shit is so dumb.
>>
>>54799698
>My first thought about this is that these guys are already rich as shit but they want more money?

It's more about stopping millions (if not billions) of $ going to fuckers like Spotify and Apple.

Money that could (and should) be going to the makers of the music, both big and small.

If Tidal can get a better rate for small artists, that's great.
>>
>>54800190
>It's more about stopping millions (if not billions) of $ going to fuckers like Spotify and Apple.

The problem is.......all those million/billions are being sucked out of the music production. None of that money goes back into making new albums etc

If that money was properly shared (like tidal says they'll do), then indie artists can actually make albums and eat. The bigger artists can also spend bigger on production etc.

All that money shouldn't be flowing out to non-music related shit like spotify and apple.
>>
>>54800020
No, if anything it's better for indie artists. I was listening to indie music before Napster. Back then, you had zines and pitchforkmedia.com for exposure. If you read about something you were interested in, you'd have to call around the record stores in or out of your area and probably end up driving a few hours to the one store that had a single promo copy of it. Those artists weren't exactly ballin' back then.

In fact, first time I heard of White Stripes, their albums were impossible to find. A year later, I saw them on MTV in Fly's electronics store. If it weren't for mp3, their buzz probably would have died before they got a deal. These days, you need buzz to get a deal.
>>
>>54799912
edgy. not even true.
>>
>>54791222
>a bunch of people who are exorbitantly rich for not helping anybody ever
>"we want money!!!"

this is why i download

suck my dick you fucks
>>
>>54800316
Nice evidence you provided to dispute my claim Anon!
>>
>>54799474
>hating a group of a dozen mega billionaires
>hating musicians

pick one
>>
>>54792345
:'|
>>
>>54800363
I don't need to provide any evidence to counter a blanketed and baseless remark, that's not how it works.
>>
>>54800190
>It's more about stopping millions (if not billions) of $ going to fuckers like Spotify and Apple.

>Money that could (and should) be going to the makers of the music, both big and small.

Do artists have business connections and relationships with advertisers and corporate sponsors? Do artists build server farms? Do artists understand and solve the asymptotic time and space complexity problems of streaming millions of songs on the internet?

Why do you think the people who engineer the infrastructure and BRING IN THE MONEY deserve less of it than the guy singing stupid shit and taking himself way too seriously?
>>
>>54800190
why should it go to the musicians?

they didn't develop the program, or host the servers or any of that shit. they didn't put the song on the rdio so i could hear it, they probably didn't even distribute it, someone they hired did

im all for supporting the arts but the money machine that is pop music hardly seems like the kind of art i want to support
>>
>>54800516
forgot to mention that i also did not think it would help small artists at all, my bad
>>
because without the musicians there would be no product dipshit
>>
>>54800020
They're have actually been way more movements, just smaller in scale, which is as it should be. There needs to be diversity in music, and I'm not talking about the SJW warcry.
>>
>>54799912
dont be stupid, dumbass
>>
>>54800420
>meme meme meeeeeeem
Please take your "dank memes" to
>>>/s4s/
>>
>>54800553
a farmer makes a product, but they don't distribute/advertise/araange business deals with big corporate grocery stores/ provide financial stability during seasons of poor growth/ supports the farmers interests on a political scale

so you can see why the artist gets only a cut of the pay out, right?
>>
>>54800619
But if you were a farmer and had the option to cut the middle man, then why wouldn't you? It just makes sense.
>>
>paying for music
are you guys really that retarded?
>>
>>54800553
Every artist is replaceable. It doesn't matter who has the #1 song, if that person was never born, somebody else would have the #1 song. The artist is valuable to their label, they're not valuable to the industry as a whole.

Furthermore, technology is more valuable than music. If you compared the richest programmer in the world with the richest musician, whose richer? The richest man in the world started as a programmer and founded Microsoft. The richest musician in the world co-founded a headphones company and sold it to Apple, the richest tech company in the world.

In what fantasy world does a musician deserve the lion's share of tech company profits?
>>
I'm just hoping the artists don't split services. Ya spotify doesn't have Taylor Swift and a few others, but who gives a fuck. If Tidal takes a few big names and then apple takes others, none of them will be worth paying for. I'm a Spotify stan now but if they lose out on artists then I'll have to go back to torrenting everything.
>>
>>54800978
>Every artist is replaceable

>Furthermore, technology is more valuable than music

bullshit
>>
>>54801058
>I'm just hoping the artists don't split services.

but this is exactly what's gonna happen and the top artists are already moving to tidal
>>
>>54800978
In what fantasy world does a musician deserve the lion's share of tech company profits?

A world that has Tidel, you dip.
>>
>>54799336
If I stole a candy bar
and then ate it
but it was still at the store
would it be stolen?
>>
>>54801720
It would be magic.
>>
the truth about tidal is that ts gay as fuvk ahahahahahahah
>>
Why the fuck are we still talking about this?

Kill this fucking TIDAL BS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwuwZLwRhZo
>>
>>54801720
>If I stole a candy bar
>and then ate it
>but it was still at the store
>would it be stolen?

try that with the cops and see where it gets you dumbass
Thread posts: 253
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.